NATION

PASSWORD

[NSGS] Third Government of Calaverde

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Heraklea-
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Heraklea- » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:01 am

Probably should have edited my post, didn't realize you got in another one before I posted. I was referring to the tax cuts in the other bills. I will tear into your budget on Sunday when I have time to do so.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:12 am

Heraklea- wrote:Probably should have edited my post, didn't realize you got in another one before I posted. I was referring to the tax cuts in the other bills. I will tear into your budget on Sunday when I have time to do so.

I'll be waiting. And those cuts have been costed indeed, simply by reducing projected tax revenues by 40% for GST and 50% for corporate taxes. Considering by how much income tax would have grown and how much consumption would have grown (mostly due to the welfare expansions), the combined cost of those two cuts is not that huge. It reduces gross receipts by about 11% and stimulates a lot more investment, from businesses, and consumption, from consumers, since they would have more disposable resources to use in their ventures.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:46 am

Ark, I don't think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs needs $2.75 billion; if this Reuters article is to be believed the Foreign and Commonwealth Office spent £1.02 billion (≈ $1.59 billion) in the past year. I doubt a small Central American nation's foreign ministry would spend more than the United Kingdom's. I'm sure we could re-distribute those funds to another government agency or perhaps implement tax cuts. And yes, a cabinet minister has just asked the government to reduce his ministry's budget.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:52 am

Forgot to mention, that bloated FA spending is majorly foreign aid (0.7% of GDP), or roughly $2.5bn. The $250 million extra is what actually goes to your ministry.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:53 am

Sebastianbourg wrote:Ark, I don't think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs needs $2.75 billion; if this Reuters article is to be believed the Foreign and Commonwealth Office spent £1.02 billion (≈ $1.59 billion) in the past year. I doubt a small Central American nation's foreign ministry would spend more than the United Kingdom's. I'm sure we could re-distribute those funds to another government agency or perhaps implement tax cuts. And yes, a cabinet minister has just asked the government to reduce his ministry's budget.

You have to remember to add the Department of International Development and the trade part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Skills to that budget.
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:54 am

Arkolon wrote:Forgot to mention, that bloated FA spending is majorly foreign aid (0.7% of GDP), or roughly $2.5bn. The $250 million extra is what actually goes to your ministry.

Why are we giving away so much foreign aid?
The Sarian wrote:
Sebastianbourg wrote:Ark, I don't think the Ministry of Foreign Affairs needs $2.75 billion; if this Reuters article is to be believed the Foreign and Commonwealth Office spent £1.02 billion (≈ $1.59 billion) in the past year. I doubt a small Central American nation's foreign ministry would spend more than the United Kingdom's. I'm sure we could re-distribute those funds to another government agency or perhaps implement tax cuts. And yes, a cabinet minister has just asked the government to reduce his ministry's budget.

You have to remember to add the Department of International Development and the trade part of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Skills to that budget.

I think anything close to $1-1.5 billion would be enough. We're a small country and cannot possibly be expected to give away $2.5 billion away in development aid when a much larger country such as Spain only gives away $2.20 billion.

Edit: I misunderstood The Sarian's response.
Last edited by Sebastianbourg on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:57 am

Sebastianbourg wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Forgot to mention, that bloated FA spending is majorly foreign aid (0.7% of GDP), or roughly $2.5bn. The $250 million extra is what actually goes to your ministry.

Why are we giving away so much foreign aid?

http://www.unmillenniumproject.org/press/07.htm

Britanno 2
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno 2 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:02 am

If we're happy to turn away those in need at our border, we should at least be supporting them in their own countries.
Centre-left Social Democrat
Admin in the NSGS Senate
Senator Huang Diem of the Labour Party

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:05 am

Britanno 2 wrote:If we're happy to turn away those in need at our border, we should at least be supporting them in their own countries.

Well, I guess we'll have to make sure our development aid is put to good use and genuinely benefits those it is intended for instead of falling into the pockets of dictators and tyrants. Hmm...

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:06 am

Says here the target for 2015 is 0.54% of GNP. That's $544 million less to the MoFA if you want to scale down the Millenium Projects and adapt them to softer targets. So does $2.2bn sound better? It funds our debt interest :p
Rosa Luxemburg

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:10 am

Arkolon wrote:Says here the target for 2015 is 0.54% of GNP. That's $544 million less to the MoFA if you want to scale down the Millenium Projects and adapt them to softer targets. So does $2.2bn sound better? It funds our debt interest :p

Sure. That's more than enough.

The Sarian
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:12 am

Personally, I think we can continue to commit to 0.7%.

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:15 am

The Sarian wrote:Personally, I think we can continue to commit to 0.7%.

Honestly, I don't really mind; I'd rather save my 'government policy dispute points' for another occasion.
:p

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:16 am

To clarify: it was semi-sarcastic and I tried to show it was a small change from 0.7 to 0.54 (the debt interest is a really small amount of money). We are sticking to 0.7. Re-reading it, it was very unclear of me.
Rosa Luxemburg

Sebastianbourg
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Sebastianbourg » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:20 am

Arkolon wrote:To clarify: it was semi-sarcastic and I tried to show it was a small change from 0.7 to 0.54 (the debt interest is a really small amount of money). We are sticking to 0.7. Re-reading it, it was very unclear of me.

I consider it a scandalous waste but it's not an excessive amount of money so I won't make too much of a fuss over it.

Britanno 2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno 2 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:08 pm

please second my motion in the chamber
Admin in the NSGS Senate

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:09 am

Britanno 2 wrote:If we're happy to turn away those in need at our border, we should at least be supporting them in their own countries.

It would just be throwing money down a rabbit hole. Central America, with the exception of Costa Rica at least, is largely run by corrupt ogilarchs anyway. Sending foreign aid into these countries would just be lining the pockets of those that run it.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:27 am

The next few months are going to get very messy.
Rosa Luxemburg

Britanno 2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno 2 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:33 am

Costa Fierro wrote:It would just be throwing money down a rabbit hole. Central America, with the exception of Costa Rica at least, is largely run by corrupt ogilarchs anyway. Sending foreign aid into these countries would just be lining the pockets of those that run it.

That's presuming we just hand it over to governments. I'd prefer a system where we use the money to assist charity projects.
Admin in the NSGS Senate

Filimons
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Filimons » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:48 am

Sorry, I've been inactive due to exams.
Das Publikum beklatscht ein Feuerwerk, aber keinen Sonnenaufgang.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:55 am

Filimons wrote:Sorry, I've been inactive due to exams.

Don't be sorry, RL > IC always. :)
Rosa Luxemburg

Filimons
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Filimons » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:57 am

Arkolon wrote:
Filimons wrote:Sorry, I've been inactive due to exams.

Don't be sorry, RL > IC always. :)

True.
Das Publikum beklatscht ein Feuerwerk, aber keinen Sonnenaufgang.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:42 am

Britanno 2 wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:It would just be throwing money down a rabbit hole. Central America, with the exception of Costa Rica at least, is largely run by corrupt ogilarchs anyway. Sending foreign aid into these countries would just be lining the pockets of those that run it.

That's presuming we just hand it over to governments. I'd prefer a system where we use the money to assist charity projects.

Who do three fifths of fuck all and spend most of the money on administrative costs. We'd be better off helping the poor and disadvantaged in Calaverde.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:50 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
Britanno 2 wrote:That's presuming we just hand it over to governments. I'd prefer a system where we use the money to assist charity projects.

Who do three fifths of fuck all and spend most of the money on administrative costs. We'd be better off helping the poor and disadvantaged in Calaverde.

FYI:
Money that goes to helping Calaverde's poor and disadvantaged: 65%
Money that goes to building new infrastructure in Calaverde: 30%
Money that goes to foreign aid: 5%

As a percentage of total spending in those three departments.
Rosa Luxemburg

Britanno 2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno 2 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:06 am

Costa Fierro wrote:Who do three fifths of fuck all and spend most of the money on administrative costs. We'd be better off helping the poor and disadvantaged in Calaverde.

You can't just generalise charities like that. I know plenty that do brilliant work, and I'm sure you do to.

And if you read my post, I said charity projects, not charities. Hence, we don't just hand it over to any organisation with a nice message, we actually take some responsibility ourselves and spend our money ourselves. We can work with organisations, but I see no reason why we shouldn't play an active role in the specific projects we fund.
Admin in the NSGS Senate

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives