NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 3: Brainstorming, discussion, tea, advice

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Harbertia wrote:I prefer to put 'World Building' to get people involved in that work. WIP (Work in Progress) tends to make it seem solo and I imagine not get as many posts. The more people you get to post on the thread during production the more likely you are to have a player base when it's no longer WIP- otherwise you'll remove WIP and have to start advertizing it on the Advertizing thread.

So go with World Building? I'm planning on putting together that SF RP I talked about the other day. Thanks for the advice. Help would be much welcomed because I'll have a lot of lore to work through.

I will gladly join that thread :D World Building is my favorite part of RP creation!
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:So go with World Building? I'm planning on putting together that SF RP I talked about the other day. Thanks for the advice. Help would be much welcomed because I'll have a lot of lore to work through.

I will gladly join that thread :D World Building is my favorite part of RP creation!

Great.

EDIT:
Here it is:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=431973
Last edited by Pax Nerdvana on Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:52 pm

Some of you may remember an idea I posted here, called Sauria: Of Civility and Ambition.

That RP did indeed start but only lasted a page.

I've made plans however, due to the high quality of that single page to create a sequel that may yet gather more participants.

The Rundown
Sauria is a planet in counter Earth Orbit. Earth learned of this planet during the early space race when calculations had to compensate for an unseen gravitational force in our solar system.

Sauria is populated by dinosaur like bepeds, and various now extinct life from Earth. While Earth is governed by the United Nations Sauria is united by the Tyrion Empire.

Sauria is suffering from Global Cooling brought about by the thick clouds caused by the planet's volcanic activity which has cooled it's core.

Saurians seek to settle Earth which they see as experiencing a warming.

----

The first RP set out to determine how first contact would go down, with the players being Saurians.

That RP, in it's one page- established a peaceful approach towards Humans by a private company as Sauria made it to space via the private rather then the public sector as Earth did.

----

The 2nd RP will see the aftermath and take place in Australia where a limited migration of Saurians has occurred as a way to 'test the water' while the rest of the world goes through chaos brought about by the alien contact; I mean it's not that bad, Earth has known about the other 'Earth like planet' since perhaps the 1960s and contact occurred in the 90s; with the second RP taking place in the 2010s so things will have become more organized in that time span.

----

Sound interesting? What thoughts do you have on Earth's response because- well- the first RP didn't last long enough for Human characters... I know more about how Sauria reacts then Earth- especially an Earth aware of Sauria since at least the 60s. It's an aspect that wasn't explored during the first RP- how this Earth is.
Last edited by Harbertia on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:55 pm

RP Teaser: The Reboot of a Spinoff of a Reboot That Nobody Asked For

They said all
Teenagers scare
The living shit out of me
They could care less
As long as someone'll bleed
So darken your clothes
Or strike a violent pose
Maybe they'll leave you alone
But not me
Last edited by Forest State on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
don't tread on me

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Forest State wrote:
RP Teaser: The Reboot of a Spinoff of a Reboot That Nobody Asked For

(Image)

They said all
Teenagers scare
The living shit out of me
They could care less
As long as someone'll bleed
So darken your clothes
Or strike a violent pose
Maybe they'll leave you alone
But not me

While, this will likely fall outside my interests, I'm curious regarding what this about.
Tomorrow is made today.

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:09 pm

Harbertia wrote:While, this will likely fall outside my interests, I'm curious regarding what this about.

Basically, when the Academy of Villains reboot was at its peak before the early end, there was a spinoff RP following heroes instead of villains. I ended up liking that RP far more than the main one but it died off pretty quickly. This is another hero thing even though I was originally going to walk away from the genre as an OP, and I guess it blends elements of both RPs. It's not going to be an academy thread(not per say) but the structure isn't exactly like the spinoff either, interestingly enough...
don't tread on me

Labstoska
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 22, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:18 am

Harbertia wrote:Some of you may remember an idea I posted here, called Sauria: Of Civility and Ambition.

I've made plans however, due to the high quality of that single page to create a sequel that may yet gather more participants.

The Rundown
Sauria is a planet in counter Earth Orbit. Earth learned of this planet during the early space race when calculations had to compensate for an unseen gravitational force in our solar system.

Sauria is populated by dinosaur like bepeds, and various now extinct life from Earth. While Earth is governed by the United Nations Sauria is united by the Tyrion Empire.

Sauria is suffering from Global Cooling brought about by the thick clouds caused by the planet's volcanic activity which has cooled it's core.

----

The first RP set out to determine how first contact would go down, with the players being Saurians.

That RP, in it's one page- established a peaceful approach towards Humans by a private company as Sauria made it to space via the private rather then the public sector as Earth did.

----

The 2nd RP will see the aftermath and take place in Australia where a limited migration of Saurians has occurred as a way to 'test the water' while the rest of the world goes through chaos brought about by the alien contact; I mean it's not that bad, Earth has known about the other 'Earth like planet' since perhaps the 1960s and contact occurred in the 90s; with the second RP taking place in the 2010s so things will have become more organized in that time span.

----

Sound interesting? What thoughts do you have on Earth's response because- well- the first RP didn't last long enough for Human characters... I know more about how Sauria reacts then Earth- especially an Earth aware of Sauria since at least the 60s. It's an aspect that wasn't explored during the first RP- how this Earth is.

Well i'd certainly be up for this RP, would I be able to bring back my character from the old RP?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:23 am

Labstoska wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Some of you may remember an idea I posted here, called Sauria: Of Civility and Ambition.

The Rundown

----

----

----

Well i'd certainly be up for this RP, would I be able to bring back my character from the old RP?

Yes you can and it'll be great to work with you on what's happened in the time since contact. The limited migration treaty has, that much is certain implying success on our character's part- though of course not as global a success as we'd hoped for. We'll finally be seeing Human characters along with Saurians in this one.
Last edited by Harbertia on Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Labstoska
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:13 am

Harbertia wrote:
Labstoska wrote:Well i'd certainly be up for this RP, would I be able to bring back my character from the old RP?

Yes you can and it'll be great to work with you on what's happened in the time since contact. The limited migration treaty has, that much is certain implying success on our character's part- though of course not as global a success as we'd hoped for. We'll finally be seeing Human characters along with Saurians in this one.

I think it would be cool to see how the various governments and corporations of the world reacted to the ITC suddenly offering to sell technology to the highest bidder . It would also be cool to see where my pharmaceutical idea went in the end.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Labstoska wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Yes you can and it'll be great to work with you on what's happened in the time since contact. The limited migration treaty has, that much is certain implying success on our character's part- though of course not as global a success as we'd hoped for. We'll finally be seeing Human characters along with Saurians in this one.

I think it would be cool to see how the various governments and corporations of the world reacted to the ITC suddenly offering to sell technology to the highest bidder . It would also be cool to see where my pharmaceutical idea went in the end.

I'll certainly need help with all that. We had discussed how the pharmaceuticals may go during the first RP :) so we have some idea, though when it comes to the people of Earth I'm still in that Saurian Mindset I put myself into during the first RP- as in I don't know and was going to wing it off of what the Human player characters (who never enrolled) did. Part of my enjoyment was going to be reacting to Earth. So I truly do not know anything beyond what Teyrance knew based on what he read regarding observations of Earth and radio waves from Earth. As in, I'm a bit blank in regards to Earth save that Earth was in the 1990s during first contact and, as one of the players who didn't post on the IC pointed out via OOC, found out about Sauria some time during the Space Race due to gravitational calculations having to compensate for an unseen gravitational force in the solar system which turned out to be Sauria. That player also pointed out that just as our own Earth sent a probe to assure people that no planet was behind the Sun, this Earth would have sent on to investigate the source the gravitational field revealing another Earth like planet in our solar system. I have, no solid understanding of this Earth- as I have been keeping myself in the dark for the sake of exploration and discovery but now- with this 2nd RP- I'll need to know.

Thus, my reason for posting here. To get some input on what this Earth is like :/

I can tell players presently anything they want to know about Sauria, it's geography, history, culture, etc- like media.

The show; Seven Thrones is a Historical Drama set during the Era of Seven Thrones from which it's name derives. This Saurian television series follows the royal families of the Seven Rexdoms (including Tyrion) that fought during the 2nd World War; with the series slated to end at the start of that War. At which point another series, a continuation of Seven Thrones is to launch detailing the war. The series had been going on for about a decade by the time of the First RP, and by the time of the 2nd RP will be about to launch it's final season.

XD haha and I don't have to remind you about They Came From Earth; a science fiction film exploring how Sauria would react to an Invasion by Earth and how Earth might carry that out. Nor how, by the 2010s, it'll be considered quite outdated in it's information and likely one of many media productions not approved for transportation to Earth. Still, the Mammals using machines to hasten global cooling and being resilient to the cold is amusing; as too is the idea of 'Invader Landers' designed based on the Lunar Lander- which indicates that Sauria observed that landing in some form.
Last edited by Harbertia on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Labstoska
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:18 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Labstoska wrote:I think it would be cool to see how the various governments and corporations of the world reacted to the ITC suddenly offering to sell technology to the highest bidder . It would also be cool to see where my pharmaceutical idea went in the end.

I'll certainly need help with all that. We had discussed how the pharmaceuticals may go during the first RP :) so we have some idea, though when it comes to the people of Earth I'm still in that Saurian Mindset I put myself into during the first RP- as in I don't know and was going to wing it off of what the Human player characters (who never enrolled) did. Part of my enjoyment was going to be reacting to Earth. So I truly do not know anything beyond what Teyrance knew based on what he read regarding observations of Earth and radio waves from Earth. As in, I'm a bit blank in regards to Earth save that Earth was in the 1990s during first contact and, as one of the players who didn't post on the IC pointed out via OOC, found out about Sauria some time during the Space Race due to gravitational calculations having to compensate for an unseen gravitational force in the solar system which turned out to be Sauria. That player also pointed out that just as our own Earth sent a probe to assure people that no planet was behind the Sun, this Earth would have sent on to investigate the source the gravitational field revealing another Earth like planet in our solar system. I have, no solid understanding of this Earth- as I have been keeping myself in the dark for the sake of exploration and discovery but now- with this 2nd RP- I'll need to know.

Thus, my reason for posting here. To get some input on what this Earth is like :/

I can tell players presently anything they want to know about Sauria, it's geography, history, culture, etc- like media.

The show; Seven Thrones is a Historical Drama set during the Era of Seven Thrones from which it's name derives. This Saurian television series follows the royal families of the Seven Rexdoms (including Tyrion) that fought during the 2nd World War; with the series slated to end at the start of that War. At which point another series, a continuation of Seven Thrones is to launch detailing the war. The series had been going on for about a decade by the time of the First RP, and by the time of the 2nd RP will be about to launch it's final season.

XD haha and I don't have to remind you about They Came From Earth; a science fiction film exploring how Sauria would react to an Invasion by Earth and how Earth might carry that out. Nor how, by the 2010s, it'll be considered quite outdated in it's information and likely one of many media productions not approved for transportation to Earth. Still, the Mammals using machines to hasten global cooling and being resilient to the cold is amusing; as too is the idea of 'Invader Landers' designed based on the Lunar Lander- which indicates that Sauria observed that landing in some form.

In terms of Earth I think that we would see that many space agencies that were either shut down or had most of their funding taken away may still be around if Humanity knows that their is another world out there with life on it and one that could possibly have multiple exploitable resources on it, it might even go as far as a second space race to get to Sauria however on the other hand you could have a distinct lack of any innovation coming from Earth due to the fact that people believe that these aliens are.highly advanced and enlightened beings who once they arrive upon Earth will gift Humanity with all the technology they need to bring a perfect society to Earth, this would have caused Humanity to believe that no work was needed in order to create technology because aliens will simply give it to them.

Another thing that I'm quite interested in is how Human beliefs would effect the Saurians l, for example the democratic system could have a huge impact on the people of Sauria who have always lived under an authoritarian regime. We also never looked into whether slavery was still a thing on Sauria and if so then has the concept of abolitionism ever existed. Human beliefs would no doubt cause some huge shake ups in Saurian society (perhaps the Americans will even need to bring freedom to Saurian). Anyway I am really excited about the new version of this RP.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:31 pm

The OOC will consist of three parts, one on each post- the first will be about the setting in general- and include the character roaster, rules, and serve as introduction. The next post will be regarding Earth, and the third regarding Sauria.

I've written a quick draft on Earth, I think it works, though- the UN part can be improved- needs to be improved some how. Plus, the first contact part can be expanded upon.

EARTH

JULIAN (EARTHLING) CALENDAR

UNITED NATIONS OF EARTH
The United Nations of Earth was formed following Earth's Second World War (1935-1945 or 8135 to 8145 of the Saurian Calendar) to ensure world peace after it's predecessor failed. Like the Tyrion Empire of Sauria it's promoted social liberty, and racial equality though it's government is one that's hard for Saurians to grasp. It's like the old Confederations on Sauria, at least that's as comparable as Saurians can get to it. It's decisions are slow, disagreed upon by many, and it's to Saurians paradoxical. Humans however seem to understand how it operates.

HISTORY OF SPACE TRAVEL
During the 1970s the United States of America realized the existence of another planet in the solar system after trying to send a probe to Mars and finding calculations regarding gravitational effects to be off. At this time the notion of another planet was treated as a theory, but repeated incidents prompted such to be formulated into calculations. The United States of America eventually sent a probe that took the first photographs of Sauria; revealing a planet that could possibly support life. This had various ramifications on Earth society with many wanting to deny the validity of the images, other speculating on the types of life on the new planet, and a few seeing a path to territorial gain. The space programs of the various nations of the Earth developed under government funding, suddenly Mars and Venus seemed less desirable targets for exploration. During this 'Space Race' radio signals, signs of intelligent life, where picked up, and images of structures noted beneath the thick clouds- artificial satellites where noted- intelligent life confirmed.

First Contact
The Soviets built 'Emissar', a modified probe, to send a message to Sauria regarding Earth and it's people. The United States of America built 'Hermes' with the same purpose. Both of these where launched with no reply, and what became of them remains a mystery even with contact between the two worlds having been established. This contact was initiated not by Earth, but Sauria- when the Imperial Trade Company sent a six language message. Upon the arrival of the company the nations of the Earth where, reacting in various ways. Questions regarding the lack of a response or mention of the two probes in the message created some uncertainty, the lack of knowing what the people of Sauria looked like spread wild ideas- some even suspected that Saurians where in league with some reptilian shape shifters- which when the company's CEO and other Representatives arrived in the 1990s - only escalated. The UN had agreed on a meeting in the Sahara desert (the Middle East being too violent a location), and this had the world holding it's breath. Coverage, or in some countries, restricted coverage, of what transpired lead to further paranoia among the people- though the leaders of Earth where more agreeable. When the Saurians explained their world's situation, and Earth's warming it sparked some increased Environmentalism- and reaction to it. Rather then the sympathy the Saurians had hoped to receive. With the people of the Earth being diverse in their response to the proceedings, and the leaders having to rely on 'getting elected' a limited migration treaty was written up, and the ITC to present the draft to the Grand Rex (Emperor) of Sauria and where provided with some Human objects to gift to his Imperial Majesty; among those included the writings of Otto Von Bismark, a complete Brontosaur Skeleton, paintings, letters of greetings from various sources, and 'A History of the World' by Orsen Wells. The Saurians where not, very hopeful of the gifts but departed.

This lead to a slight delay of about a decade as Sauria reacted to the proposal; the treaty was returned, signed in an alien script- eight years latter with a 12 page letter, in the same script, which among other things expressed a fondness for Otto Von Bismark and the hypothesis that had Genghis Khan's Empire survived it may have been Earth, rather then Sauria, receiving tribute.

The acceptance of the treaty was welcomed, the letter critiqued and speculated upon by various news outlets after it's official release.

SOCIAL IMPACT OF CONTACT ON AUSTRALIA

SAURIA

SAURIAN CALENDAR
The Saurian Calendar begins from the founding of the first city in year 0. The present Saurian year is 8217. Like Earth it has a seven day week, and a 365 day year due to being in equal orbit to Earth around Sol; or Tsar as they call it.

HISTORY OF SPACE TRAVEL

TYRION EMPIRE
The Tyrion Empire united the world at the conclusion of the Third World War, when the planet was comparable to Earth's 1920s (3290s of the Saurian Calendar). The planet then experienced a 'Golden Dawn' of prosperity but also criminal, rebellious, and subversive actions with in conquered territory. As the world settled down a period of connectivity and togetherness began to form and set the tone for future eras- innovation occurred but as the planet united it's diversity dwindled and advancement slowed. Much like Earth's Russian Empire the Tyrion Empire was vast but with large areas of wilderness and a very controlling regime. Over the thousands of years that passed the Tyrion Empire began to lax it's hold; slavery ended, marriage became less regulated by the state, - laws where made to enforce these policies. Private enterprise was allowed greater reign, a person was to be able to build themselves up; and when the people demanded protection from each other the Empire stepped in.

Earth is still trying to get a hold on what the Empire is, most views are largely negative though to it's people it's a very benevolent force according to Saurian sources.

The Grand Rex
The Grand Rex goes by no name, only title. When one becomes the Grand Rex they (figuratively) transform into a new being that serves as the collective head of the nation. Having been endowed with the spirit of the world at Mount Jur in the Tyrion heartland. One never refers to the Grand Rex by their former name, only as 'the Grand Rex' or 'My Rex'. To refer to the Grand Rex by the name they carried before coronation is to imply that the Grand Rex has not been given the spirit of the world.

HOLIDAYS
  • Ancestor Day - Originally a way of keeping alive ethnic traditions and customs Ancestor Day has become more of a celebration of the planet's past with people dressing up as their favorite historical figures; which due to media many are popular. If no specific figure comes to mind one can always dress up like someone from the past so generically archaic garb is commonly sold along side other costumes. People are encouraged to channel via immersive study the spirit, the person, they seek to imitate and thus it's at times know as the Day of Spirit Walkers. Partakers are often given treats as tribute to the historical accuracy in garb or knowledge of history. Themed festivals, originating from the once common ethnic enclaves, are held in some parts of the world with themes related to historical eras with games, and contests around those. Technically Ancestor Day is only the start of a month long celebration.
  • Hatchling Day - As Saurians are hatched rather then born they celebrate one's day of hatching.
  • Unification Day - This day marks the Tyrion Empire's conquest of Sauria, and the dawn of a united people at the conclusion of their Third World War and was followed by an era that we would associate as resembling Earth's 1920s. A time Saurians refer to as 'The Golden Dawn'.

Technology
Prior to contact with Earth; Sauria, while advanced in space travel, medicine, and engineering (to satisfy it's diverse population), was technologically 'backwater' by Human standards in a surprising variety of ways. With the state of media on Sauria the special effects industry wasn't very well developed, Saurians never developed digital technology (continuing to operate under the analogue system), nor nuclear missiles. While Sauria had developed cellular communications it was still using 'cards' rather then 'applications'. All of which is surprising to Earth due to how long Sauria's been united.

As on Earth an internet exists on Sauria, but it was divided into specialized networks connected to different mainframes rather then a single network. Saurians had to sign up for service with one of these networks; the social network, school network, and the networks of various companies.

Energy on Sauria has at large been Geothermal to the point that 'Global Cooling' theorist have referred to it as 'Big Geo' (not a real company). Hydropower follows next in popularity. Solar energy, due to the thick skies, proved impractical, and more so with snow fall in some regions.

Since contact with Earth Sauria's information technology has gone through an improvement in speed, with the adaptation of digital technology; though the networks remain restrictive in regards to remaining true to their purpose- the companies controlling the networks have been reluctant to merge the systems into one. Film studios that have picked up on the special effects technology of Earth have boomed while those slow to such effects have decreased in popularity. Many Geothermal and Hydropower companies have moved to Earth, where they can escape the backlash of the 'global cooling' community, like wise Earth based 'Fossil', 'Coal', and other such companies; known on Earth as 'Dirty' energy have shown an interest in servicing Saurians though Saurians have been mixed in the reception. Some feel they are helping Sauria, others that the new found 'smog' so common on Earth will simply make the cooling more rapid.

MEDIA
Media on Sauria, prior to unification, was not unlike that of Earth but it shifted into a highly regulated industry during the 3340s when the Imperial government stepped in to promote educational, and informative programming on radio and television. This promotion via incentive changed to an enforcement of such and eventually to the Imperial Government having regulatory power over newspapers, books, and all media on the planet. Creativity was stifled by these regulations, and in time Saurians came to trust all they read, hear, and see as true or to have an air of truth they can discern though study.

The most common genres are moral narratives, historical fiction, documentaries, biographical films, hard science fiction, and informative material such as infocommercials and tv shows featuring occupational information akin to Earth's "Dirty Jobs", "Undercover Boss", etc. Nature and Survival genres grew in some popularity.

The people of Earth tend to see some issue in 'State Media', and some regard Suarians as 'sheep' in how easily they believe things to which Saurians simply bring up how untrustworthy Earth media is which tends to start arguments between the two; with Saurians, not having to defend state media in a long time not having the best information to argue for it.

Social Situation on Sauria following Contact
Most Human media hasn't been approved for Saurians to watch; though those on Earth are devoid of these restrictions. Though migrants can't take certain media with them to Earth, for example; They Come from Earth is contraband for those leaving Sauria. Prior to first contact Saurians published media regarding various scenarios of being invaded by or invading Earth for the general public that detailed possible plans of defense and attack; along with how certain Saurian weaknesses may be exploited. The Imperial government has retracted those from public broadcast and has such works as contraband for migrants due to concern that; as the facts are very true, Earthlings may exploit them should the situation turn hostile. Certain Earthling media, primarily media regarding the Human concept of Democracy is also contraband for those Humans moving to Sauria. 'Democracy' is being treated as a disruptive concept, and even documentaries on Human culture are required to provide a 'moral bias' regarding the 'ills' of democracy. But those Saurians on Earth are exposed to it rather daily. It's a situation that has the Empire deeply concerned, and loyalist fearful of the world becoming as chaotic and fragmented as Earth. When it comes to the Earth based 'dirty' energy companies some Saurians, recalling the plot of They Come from Earth fear that Humans are trying to make the planet colder with thicker clouds increasing friction between the Humans on Sauria and the native population.
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Sonor Mundera
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 19, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Sonor Mundera » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 pm

You know those superpower academy roleplays?

I'm thinking of making one, too, but instead of being playing as students, we could play as tired teachers who have to survive through the students' shenanigans.

Is anybody interested?

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Sonor Mundera wrote:You know those superpower academy roleplays?

I'm thinking of making one, too, but instead of being playing as students, we could play as tired teachers who have to survive through the students' shenanigans.

Is anybody interested?

I am interested in seeing how such an RP goes as it reminds me of an animated series that I've never watched but stumbled upon while do research for a wikia site.

It's something not typically explored and thus new to NS in my opinion. So I'm naturally curious to see how it goes :D Especially, if you make sure the teacher has no powers to aid in handling the students.
Tomorrow is made today.

Forest State
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:31 pm

Is anybody interested?

I'd be interested in knowing how that will be structured. One of the reasons why I don't usually allow teachers to be played in my academy threads is because it seems hard to get characters together for interaction/have stuff for teachers to do. Doubly so if people aren't playing the students? Do we only RP things between/after classes, for example? It's something to think about.
don't tread on me

Labstoska
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:23 am

Harbertia wrote:The OOC will consist of three parts, one on each post- the first will be about the setting in general- and include the character roaster, rules, and serve as introduction. The next post will be regarding Earth, and the third regarding Sauria.

I've written a quick draft on Earth, I think it works, though- the UN part can be improved- needs to be improved some how. Plus, the first contact part can be expanded upon.

EARTH
(Image)

UNITED NATIONS OF EARTH
The United Nations of Earth was formed following Earth's Second World War (1935-1945 or 8135 to 8145 of the Saurian Calendar) to ensure world peace after it's predecessor failed. Like the Tyrion Empire of Sauria it's promoted social liberty, and racial equality though it's government is one that's hard for Saurians to grasp. It's like the old Confederations on Sauria, at least that's as comparable as Saurians can get to it. It's decisions are slow, disagreed upon by many, and it's to Saurians paradoxical. Humans however seem to understand how it operates.

HISTORY OF SPACE TRAVEL
During the 1970s the United States of America realized the existence of another planet in the solar system after trying to send a probe to Mars and finding calculations regarding gravitational effects to be off. At this time the notion of another planet was treated as a theory, but repeated incidents prompted such to be formulated into calculations. The United States of America eventually sent a probe that took the first photographs of Sauria; revealing a planet that could possibly support life. This had various ramifications on Earth society with many wanting to deny the validity of the images, other speculating on the types of life on the new planet, and a few seeing a path to territorial gain. The space programs of the various nations of the Earth developed under government funding, suddenly Mars and Venus seemed less desirable targets for exploration. During this 'Space Race' radio signals, signs of intelligent life, where picked up, and images of structures noted beneath the thick clouds- artificial satellites where noted- intelligent life confirmed.

First Contact
The Soviets built 'Emissar', a modified probe, to send a message to Sauria regarding Earth and it's people. The United States of America built 'Aries' with the same purpose. Both of these where launched with no reply, and what became of them remains a mystery even with contact between the two worlds having been established. This contact was initiated not by Earth, but Sauria- when the Imperial Trade Company sent a six language message. Upon the arrival of the company the nations of the Earth where, reacting in various ways. Questions regarding the lack of a response or mention of the two probes in the message created some uncertainty, the lack of knowing what the people of Sauria looked like spread wild ideas- some even suspected that Saurians where in league with some reptilian shape shifters- which when the company's CEO and other Representatives arrived in the 1990s - only escalated. The UN had agreed on a meeting in the Sahara desert (the Middle East being too violent a location), and this had the world holding it's breath. Coverage, or in some countries, restricted coverage, of what transpired lead to further paranoia among the people- though the leaders of Earth where more agreeable. When the Saurians explained their world's situation, and Earth's warming it sparked some increased Environmentalism- and reaction to it. Rather then the sympathy the Saurians had hoped to receive. With the people of the Earth being diverse in their response to the proceedings, and the leaders having to rely on 'getting elected' a limited migration treaty was written up, and the ITC to present the draft to the Grand Rex (Emperor) of Sauria and where provided with some Human objects to gift to his Imperial Majesty; among those included the writings of Otto Von Bismark, a complete Brontosaur Skeleton, paintings, letters of greetings from various sources, and 'A History of the World' by Orsen Wells. The Saurians where not, very hopeful of the gifts but departed.

This lead to a slight delay of about a decade as Sauria reacted to the proposal; the treaty was returned, signed in an alien script- eight years latter with a 12 page letter, in the same script, which among other things expressed a fondness for Otto Von Bismark and the hypothesis that had Genghis Khan's Empire survived it may have been Earth, rather then Sauria, receiving tribute.

The acceptance of the treaty was welcomed, the letter critiqued and speculated upon by various news outlets after it's official release.

AUSTRALIA

SAURIA(Image)

SAURIAN CALENDAR
The Saurian Calendar begins from the founding of the first city in year 0. The present Saurian year is 8217. Like Earth it has a seven day week, and a 365 day year due to being in equal orbit to Earth around Sol; or Tsar as they call it.

HISTORY OF SPACE TRAVEL

TYRION EMPIRE
The Tyrion Empire united the world at the conclusion of the Third World War, when the planet was comparable to Earth's 1920s (3290s of the Saurian Calendar). The planet then experienced a 'Golden Dawn' of prosperity but also criminal, rebellious, and subversive actions with in conquered territory. As the world settled down a period of connectivity and togetherness began to form and set the town for future eras- innovation occured but as the planet united it's diversity dwindled and advancement slowed. Much like Earth's Russian Empire the Tyrion Empire was vast but with large areas of wilderness and a very controlling regime. Over the thousands of years that passed the Tyrion Empire began to lax it's hold; slavery ended, marriage became less regulated by the state, - laws where made to enforce these policies. Private enterprise was allowed greater reign, a person was to be able to build themselves up; and when the people demanded protection from each other the Empire stepped in.

Earth is still trying to get a hold on what the Empire is, most views are largely negative though to it's people it's a very benevolent force according to Saurian sources.

The Grand Rex
The Grand Rex goes by no name, only title. When one becomes the Grand Rex they (figuratively) transform into a new being that serves as the collective head of the nation. Having been endowed with the spirit of the world at Mount Jur in the Tyrion heartland. One never refers to the Grand Rex by their former name, only as 'the Grand Rex' or 'My Rex'. To refer to the Grand Rex by the name they carried before coronation is to imply that the Grand Rex has not been given the spirit of the world.

HOLIDAYS
  • Ancestor Day - Originally a way of keeping alive ethnic traditions and customs Ancestor Day has become more of a celebration of the planet's past with people dressing up as their favorite historical figures; which due to media many are popular. If no specific figure comes to mind one can always dress up like someone from the past so generically archaic garb is commonly sold along side other costumes. People are encouraged to channel via immersive study the spirit, the person, they seek to imitate and thus it's at times know as the Day of Spirit Walkers. Partakers are often given treats as tribute to the historical accuracy in garb or knowledge of history. Themed festivals, originating from the once common ethnic enclaves, are held in some parts of the world with themes related to historical eras with games, and contests around those. Technically Ancestor Day is only the start of a month long celebration.
  • Hatchling Day - As Saurians are hatched rather then born they celebrate one's day of hatching.
  • Unification Day - This day marks the Tyrion Empire's conquest of Sauria, and the dawn of a united people at the conclusion of their Third World War and was followed by an era that we would associate as resembling Earth's 1920s. A time Saurians refer to as 'The Golden Dawn'.

MEDIA

How has Saurian technology advanced now that they've made contact with Humans who have far more advanced IT tech.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:38 am

Is anybody interested?

That would be interesting.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

The Assorted Saharan Outposts
Minister

Founded: Dec 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Assorted Saharan Outposts » Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:46 am

What about a roleplay based off of overwatch?
Fighting terrorist organizations and stuff.
I mean, I thought it'd be an interesting idea. Maybe the player characters would sort of be like an Overwatch squad, instead of, just, being part of the organization and screwing around. They go on missions to help protect people, possibly stop some terrorists, and just make the world a better place.
RP Types I Enjoy: God RPs (anything involving deities), alt history, medieval.
Just call me Sahara
Feel free to telegram me whenever you want. I'd love to chat!

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:36 am

Labstoska wrote:
Harbertia wrote:The OOC will consist of three parts, one on each post- the first will be about the setting in general- and include the character roaster, rules, and serve as introduction. The next post will be regarding Earth, and the third regarding Sauria.

EARTH
(Image)

UNITED NATIONS OF EARTH

HISTORY OF SPACE TRAVEL

First Contact
The Soviets built 'Emissar', a modified probe, to send a message to Sauria regarding Earth and it's people. The United States of America built 'Aries' with the same purpose. Both of these where launched with no reply, and what became of them remains a mystery even with contact between the two worlds having been established. This contact was initiated not by Earth, but Sauria- when the Imperial Trade Company sent a six language message. Upon the arrival of the company the nations of the Earth where, reacting in various ways. Questions regarding the lack of a response or mention of the two probes in the message created some uncertainty, the lack of knowing what the people of Sauria looked like spread wild ideas- some even suspected that Saurians where in league with some reptilian shape shifters- which when the company's CEO and other Representatives arrived in the 1990s - only escalated. The UN had agreed on a meeting in the Sahara desert (the Middle East being too violent a location), and this had the world holding it's breath. Coverage, or in some countries, restricted coverage, of what transpired lead to further paranoia among the people- though the leaders of Earth where more agreeable. When the Saurians explained their world's situation, and Earth's warming it sparked some increased Environmentalism- and reaction to it. Rather then the sympathy the Saurians had hoped to receive. With the people of the Earth being diverse in their response to the proceedings, and the leaders having to rely on 'getting elected' a limited migration treaty was written up, and the ITC to present the draft to the Grand Rex (Emperor) of Sauria and where provided with some Human objects to gift to his Imperial Majesty; among those included the writings of Otto Von Bismark, a complete Brontosaur Skeleton, paintings, letters of greetings from various sources, and 'A History of the World' by Orsen Wells. The Saurians where not, very hopeful of the gifts but departed.

AUSTRALIA

SAURIA(Image)

SAURIAN CALENDAR

HISTORY OF SPACE TRAVEL

TYRION EMPIRE
The Tyrion Empire united the world at the conclusion of the Third World War, when the planet was comparable to Earth's 1920s (3290s of the Saurian Calendar). The planet then experienced a 'Golden Dawn' of prosperity but also criminal, rebellious, and subversive actions with in conquered territory. As the world settled down a period of connectivity and togetherness began to form and set the town for future eras- innovation occured but as the planet united it's diversity dwindled and advancement slowed. Much like Earth's Russian Empire the Tyrion Empire was vast but with large areas of wilderness and a very controlling regime. Over the thousands of years that passed the Tyrion Empire began to lax it's hold; slavery ended, marriage became less regulated by the state, - laws where made to enforce these policies. Private enterprise was allowed greater reign, a person was to be able to build themselves up; and when the people demanded protection from each other the Empire stepped in.

The Grand Rex

HOLIDAYS

MEDIA

How has Saurian technology advanced now that they've made contact with Humans who have far more advanced IT tech.

This is a lot, but how is this;
Technology
Prior to contact with Earth; Sauria, while advanced in space travel, medicine, and engineering (to satisfy it's diverse population), was technologically 'backwater' by Human standards in a surprising variety of ways. With the state of media on Sauria the special effects industry wasn't very well developed, Saurians never developed digital technology (continuing to operate under the analogue system), nor nuclear missiles. While Sauria had developed cellular communications it was still using 'cards' rather then 'applications'. All of which is surprising to Earth due to how long Sauria's been united.

As on Earth an internet exists on Sauria, but it was divided into specialized networks connected to different mainframes rather then a single network. Saurians had to sign up for service with one of these networks; the social network, school network, and the networks of various companies.

Energy on Sauria has at large been Geothermal to the point that 'Global Cooling' theorist have referred to it as 'Big Geo' (not a real company). Hydropower follows next in popularity. Solar energy, due to the thick skies, proved impractical, and more so with snow fall in some regions.

Since contact with Earth Sauria's information technology has gone through an improvement in speed, with the adaptation of digital technology; though the networks remain restrictive in regards to remaining true to their purpose- the companies controlling the networks have been reluctant to merge the systems into one. Film studios that have picked up on the special effects technology of Earth have boomed while those slow to such effects have decreased in popularity. Many Geothermal and Hydropower companies have moved to Earth, where they can escape the backlash of the 'global cooling' community, like wise Earth based 'Fossil', 'Coal', and other such companies; known on Earth as 'Dirty' energy have shown an interest in servicing Saurians though Saurians have been mixed in the reception. Some feel they are helping Sauria, others that the new found 'smog' so common on Earth will simply make the cooling more rapid.

MEDIA
Media on Sauria, prior to unification, was not unlike that of Earth but it shifted into a highly regulated industry during the 3340s when the Imperial government stepped in to promote educational, and informative programming on radio and television. This promotion via incentive changed to an enforcement of such and eventually to the Imperial Government having regulatory power over newspapers, books, and all media on the planet. Creativity was stifled by these regulations, and in time Saurians came to trust all they read, hear, and see as true or to have an air of truth they can discern though study.

The most common genres are moral narratives, historical fiction, documentaries, biographical films, hard science fiction, and informative material such as infocommercials and tv shows featuring occupational information akin to Earth's "Dirty Jobs", "Undercover Boss", etc. Nature and Survival genres grew in some popularity.

The people of Earth tend to see some issue in 'State Media', and some regard Suarians as 'sheep' in how easily they believe things to which Saurians simply bring up how untrustworthy Earth media is which tends to start arguments between the two; with Saurian, not having to defend state media in a long time not having the best information to argue for it.

Most Human media hasn't been approved for Saurians to watch; though those on Earth are devoid of these restrictions. Though migrants can't take certain media with them to Earth, for example; They Came from Earth is contraband for those leaving Sauria. Prior to first contact Saurians published media regarding various scenarios of being invaded by or invading Earth for the general public that detailed possible plans of defense and attack; along with how certain Saurian weaknesses may be exploited. The Imperial government has retracted those from public broadcast and has such works as contraband for migrants due to concern that; as the facts are very true, Earthlings may exploit them should the situation turn hostile. Certain Earthling media, primarily media regarding the Human concept of Democracy is also contraband for those Humans moving to Sauria. 'Democracy' is being treated as a disruptive concept, and even documentaries on Human culture are required to provide a 'moral bias' regarding the 'ills' of democracy. But those Saurians on Earth are exposed to it rather daily. It's a situation that has the Empire deeply concerned, and loyalist fearful of the world becoming as chaotic and fragmented as Earth. When it comes to the Earth based 'dirty' energy companies some Saurians, recalling the plot of They Came from Earth fear that Humans are trying to make the planet colder with thicker clouds increasing friction between the Humans on Sauria and the native population.
Tomorrow is made today.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:37 am

The Assorted Saharan Outposts wrote:What about a roleplay based off of overwatch?
Fighting terrorist organizations and stuff.
I mean, I thought it'd be an interesting idea. Maybe the player characters would sort of be like an Overwatch squad, instead of, just, being part of the organization and screwing around. They go on missions to help protect people, possibly stop some terrorists, and just make the world a better place.

I've not played overwatch but that sounds cool.
Tomorrow is made today.

Labstoska
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:44 am

Harbertia wrote:
Labstoska wrote:How has Saurian technology advanced now that they've made contact with Humans who have far more advanced IT tech.

Technology

MEDIA

The people of Earth tend to see some issue in 'State Media', and some regard Suarians as 'sheep' in how easily they believe things to which Saurians simply bring up how untrustworthy Earth media is which tends to start arguments between the two; with Saurian, not having to defend state media in a long time not having the best information to argue for it.

Most Human media hasn't been approved for Saurians to watch; though those on Earth are devoid of these restrictions. Though migrants can't take certain media with them to Earth, for example; They Came from Earth is contraband for those leaving Sauria. Prior to first contact Saurians published media regarding various scenarios of being invaded by or invading Earth for the general public that detailed possible plans of defense and attack; along with how certain Saurian weaknesses may be exploited. The Imperial government has retracted those from public broadcast and has such works as contraband for migrants due to concern that; as the facts are very true, Earthlings may exploit them should the situation turn hostile. Certain Earthling media, primarily media regarding the Human concept of Democracy is also contraband for those Humans moving to Sauria. 'Democracy' is being treated as a disruptive concept, and even documentaries on Human culture are required to provide a 'moral bias' regarding the 'ills' of democracy. But those Saurians on Earth are exposed to it rather daily. It's a situation that has the Empire deeply concerned, and loyalist fearful of the world becoming as chaotic and fragmented as Earth. When it comes to the Earth based 'dirty' energy companies some Saurians, recalling the plot of They Came from Earth fear that Humans are trying to make the planet colder with thicker clouds increasing friction between the Humans on Sauria and the native population.

Looks good, I'd also like to see how much the Imperial trade company has grown by this point, i'd imagine that they are rather powerful due to the fact that they almost have complete monopoly over advanced space travel. Finally expect that They come from Earth is going to get a sequel.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:54 am

Labstoska wrote:
Harbertia wrote:
Technology

MEDIA

Looks good, I'd also like to see how much the Imperial trade company has grown by this point, i'd imagine that they are rather powerful due to the fact that they almost have complete monopoly over advanced space travel. Finally expect that They come from Earth is going to get a sequel.

Nice :) And I do imagine the ITC has grown, as companies moving from or two Earth or transporting products between the two will have to go through the Imperial Trade Company- hire them. It's cheaper then building your own fleet; I'm certain the ITC has become very wealthy :D
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Labstoska
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:57 am

Harbertia wrote:
Labstoska wrote:Looks good, I'd also like to see how much the Imperial trade company has grown by this point, i'd imagine that they are rather powerful due to the fact that they almost have complete monopoly over advanced space travel. Finally expect that They come from Earth is going to get a sequel.

Nice :) And I do imagine the ITC has grown, as companies moving from or two Earth or transporting products between the two will have to go through the Imperial Trade Company- hire them. It's cheaper then building your own fleet; I'm certain the ITC has become very wealthy :D

Excellent, soon my dream of buying whole countries as a lizard man will be realised.

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Labstoska wrote:
Harbertia wrote:Nice :) And I do imagine the ITC has grown, as companies moving from or two Earth or transporting products between the two will have to go through the Imperial Trade Company- hire them. It's cheaper then building your own fleet; I'm certain the ITC has become very wealthy :D

Excellent, soon my dream of buying whole countries as a lizard man will be realised.

:rofl:
Harbertia wrote:the lack of knowing what the people of Sauria looked like spread wild ideas- some even suspected that Saurians where in league with some reptilian shape shifters- which when the company's CEO and other Representatives arrived in the 1990s - only escalated.

:lol2:
Harbertia wrote:The UN had agreed on a meeting in the Sahara desert (the Middle East being too violent a location), and this had the world holding it's breath. Coverage, or in some countries, restricted coverage, of what transpired lead to further paranoia among the people- though the leaders of Earth where more agreeable.

:lol:

:meh:

:unsure:
Last edited by Harbertia on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Labstoska
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Labstoska » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:16 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Labstoska wrote:Excellent, soon my dream of buying whole countries as a lizard man will be realised.

:rofl:
Harbertia wrote:the lack of knowing what the people of Sauria looked like spread wild ideas- some even suspected that Saurians where in league with some reptilian shape shifters- which when the company's CEO and other Representatives arrived in the 1990s - only escalated.

:lol2:
Harbertia wrote:The UN had agreed on a meeting in the Sahara desert (the Middle East being too violent a location), and this had the world holding it's breath. Coverage, or in some countries, restricted coverage, of what transpired lead to further paranoia among the people- though the leaders of Earth where more agreeable.

:lol:

:meh:

:unsure:

I'm definitely having my character run for president for the US. Also the glorious ITC trade fleets is going to start building colonies on Mars and the Moon for the highest bidder.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives