NATION

PASSWORD

Traveller's Cafe 3: Brainstorming, discussion, tea, advice

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:27 am

Shark isle wrote:Perhaps I should start a world building thread for help on my idea and to flesh it out more? Also, any advice on what I should call this rp?

I'll likely join such a thread. I do seek to know why the races have to have been absent this whole time. It must be somehow key to the plot you have in mind. If you can figure that out; where they went and why they returned world building will be easier. Right now we are clueless in regards to those details.
A light in casing is still a light.
Tomorrow is made today.
You can't stop progress, but you can direct it's course.

Forest State
Senator

Founded: Aug 23, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Forest State » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:43 am

Pax Nerdvana wrote:I have this RP idea. The basic idea is that players will control a starship and it's crew, traversing the galaxy trading and shipping. The players could either be a company ship, or a Free Trader or something like that. How does this sound?

It's a good idea. It's also been done a bunch. Just looking at current RPs, both me and Faal have threads about starship crews, assuming I didn't miss any others. There have also been threads in the past about this by various players. My advice is to find a way to make it different. For example, my thread has a horror theme. Faal's has fantasy elements and an adventure theme. There was a thread awhile back that I remember looking at, and it had a military theme I think. Following a starship crew is a pretty basic/generic idea but the good thing is there's literally dozens of ways you can make it into something that hasn't been done before/hasn't been done in awhile.

Do you want to follow a group of space pirates who raid cargo ships? Space cops who fight those pirates? Truckers who have the job of transporting the high value cargo without it getting stolen? A military ship that's being sent to the frontlines of a war? Those are all different spins on the basic idea, that can be developed further. But each of them sets you apart from similar threads in the genre and makes it memorable/gives people a reason to join yours instead of the other threads.
don't tread on me

Talchyon
Negotiator

Founded: May 05, 2016
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Talchyon » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Forest State wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I have this RP idea. The basic idea is that players will control a starship and it's crew, traversing the galaxy trading and shipping. The players could either be a company ship, or a Free Trader or something like that. How does this sound?

It's a good idea. It's also been done a bunch. Just looking at current RPs, both me and Faal have threads about starship crews, assuming I didn't miss any others. There have also been threads in the past about this by various players. My advice is to find a way to make it different. For example, my thread has a horror theme. Faal's has fantasy elements and an adventure theme. There was a thread awhile back that I remember looking at, and it had a military theme I think. Following a starship crew is a pretty basic/generic idea but the good thing is there's literally dozens of ways you can make it into something that hasn't been done before/hasn't been done in awhile.

Do you want to follow a group of space pirates who raid cargo ships? Space cops who fight those pirates? Truckers who have the job of transporting the high value cargo without it getting stolen? A military ship that's being sent to the frontlines of a war? Those are all different spins on the basic idea, that can be developed further. But each of them sets you apart from similar threads in the genre and makes it memorable/gives people a reason to join yours instead of the other threads.

Good suggestions.

I have in mind an idea to make a sci-fi RP that is at heart, a murder mystery. I don't have time to do anything with it right now, and have found that I can only OP one RP at a time or I don't do as well with either. So it may be a long time before I get to work on it. However, if I do, I can guarantee it will be an interesting RP.
The Clockwork Circus - Welcome to a steampunk RP rife with crime, gangs, beggars, and starting off as the lowest of the low, in the lowest socio-economic place there is.

Louisianan wrote:Talchyon has great comedic writing, that is true.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Founded: May 22, 2017
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm

Forest State wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of each player controlling their own ship and it's crew. And it is just an idea.
Harbertia wrote:

Sounds like you'll need a map :)

Probably.
The Internet killed gun control.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
They can’t stop the Signal
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."
-Hurtful Thoughts on stuff you want in a gun

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:22 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Forest State wrote:It's a good idea. It's also been done a bunch. Just looking at current RPs, both me and Faal have threads about starship crews, assuming I didn't miss any others. There have also been threads in the past about this by various players. My advice is to find a way to make it different. For example, my thread has a horror theme. Faal's has fantasy elements and an adventure theme. There was a thread awhile back that I remember looking at, and it had a military theme I think. Following a starship crew is a pretty basic/generic idea but the good thing is there's literally dozens of ways you can make it into something that hasn't been done before/hasn't been done in awhile.

I was thinking more along the lines of each player controlling their own ship and it's crew. And it is just an idea.
Harbertia wrote:Sounds like you'll need a map :)

Probably.

With each player controlling their own ship the locations mapped out will need some information to spur trade. New Texas is a Savanah planet rich in Star Ship Fuel. Alcatraz is a Penal Colony on a moon that needs supplies like food, oxygen, riot gear, etc. New Haven is a lush world, near paradise but it lacks minerals- it must import all steel, copper, etc from off world.

The more the players tend to the needs of these worlds the better they'll do while those ignored will fare worse and thus the demand for what they need will go up and they'll pay more for it- what I mean is the player's trade relations should impact the setting.
Last edited by Harbertia on Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomorrow is made today.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of each player controlling their own ship and it's crew. And it is just an idea.
Probably.

With each player controlling their own ship the locations mapped out will need some information to spur trade. New Texas is a Savanah planet rich in Star Ship Fuel. Alcatraz is a Penal Colony on a moon that needs supplies like food, oxygen, riot gear, etc. New Haven is a lush world, near paradise but it lacks minerals- it must import all steel, copper, etc from off world.

The more the players tend to the needs of these worlds the better they'll do while those ignored will fare worse and thus the demand for what they need will go up and they'll pay more for it- what I mean is the player's trade relations should impact the setting.

Yeah. I have some basic ideas for planets. I think I would end up using real systems, and have a bunch of companies competing with each other and single ships(Free Traders). This would require lot's and lot's of worldbuilding. Company name ideas include: the Interstellar Combine, Deneb Systems Inc., Terran Shipyards Inc., Lone Star Transportation Systems, etc. Probably no more than 4 or 5 major companies. The government could be called the Galactic Alliance or something. The police/military forces could be called the Patrol. I was actually thinking of New Texas.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
"The universe did never make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract."
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability
Suitability (.22LR for squirrels, bigger .22s for long range little things, and big-bore for legal hunting reasons, etc)
Ammunition supply-chain (6.5x55 Swede and .303 British, although available, isn't exactly everywhere)
If it's ugly, uncomfortable, and can't shoot straight, but it accomplishes the above, then it's either a Mosin or a Hi-Point."

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Harbertia wrote:With each player controlling their own ship the locations mapped out will need some information to spur trade. New Texas is a Savanah planet rich in Star Ship Fuel. Alcatraz is a Penal Colony on a moon that needs supplies like food, oxygen, riot gear, etc. New Haven is a lush world, near paradise but it lacks minerals- it must import all steel, copper, etc from off world.

Yeah. I have some basic ideas for planets. I think I would end up using real systems, and have a bunch of companies competing with each other and single ships(Free Traders). This would require lot's and lot's of worldbuilding. Company name ideas include: the Interstellar Combine, Deneb Systems Inc., Terran Shipyards Inc., Lone Star Transportation Systems, etc. Probably no more than 4 or 5 major companies. The government could be called the Galactic Alliance or something. The police/military forces could be called the Patrol. I was actually thinking of New Texas.

I like New Texas, and those names.
Tomorrow is made today.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:53 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Yeah. I have some basic ideas for planets. I think I would end up using real systems, and have a bunch of companies competing with each other and single ships(Free Traders). This would require lot's and lot's of worldbuilding. Company name ideas include: the Interstellar Combine, Deneb Systems Inc., Terran Shipyards Inc., Lone Star Transportation Systems, etc. Probably no more than 4 or 5 major companies. The government could be called the Galactic Alliance or something. The police/military forces could be called the Patrol. I was actually thinking of New Texas.

I like New Texas, and those names.

Thanks. I like New Texas too. I'm thinking Lone Star Transportation Systems could be based out of New Texas.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:55 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Harbertia wrote:I like New Texas, and those names.

Thanks. I like New Texas too. I'm thinking Lone Star Transportation Systems could be based out of New Texas.

OH THAt's amazing!
Tomorrow is made today.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:57 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Thanks. I like New Texas too. I'm thinking Lone Star Transportation Systems could be based out of New Texas.

OH THAt's amazing!

It fits New Texas perfectly, doesn't it?
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Harbertia wrote:OH THAt's amazing!

INDEED! :D
Tomorrow is made today.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:01 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:

INDEED! :D

Good planet and company names can come from already existing places. Just put the word "new" in front of the place name.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Harbertia wrote:INDEED! :D

Good planet and company names can come from already existing places. Just put the word "new" in front of the place name.

Newer New Jersey Packet Service and Ship Detail.
Tomorrow is made today.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:21 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:Good planet and company names can come from already existing places. Just put the word "new" in front of the place name.

Newer New Jersey Packet Service and Ship Detail.

Maybe, although it is a bit wordy. SF references can also be a good bet for place/organization names.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Olthenia
Senator

Founded: Oct 03, 2009

Postby Olthenia » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:21 pm

What about an RP where players led their own bands of looters, outlaws and mercenaries into a futuristic DMZ?

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:55 pm

Olthenia wrote:What about an RP where players led their own bands of looters, outlaws and mercenaries into a futuristic DMZ?

That'd be interesting.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Olthenia
Senator

Founded: Oct 03, 2009

Postby Olthenia » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:
Olthenia wrote:What about an RP where players led their own bands of looters, outlaws and mercenaries into a futuristic DMZ?

That'd be interesting.

Wouldn't it? I'm thinking Mordheim meets Cyberpunk. Customize your warbands with weird technology and looted mil-tech. Visit squatter camps and trade for ammo and supplies. Loose all your winnings playing Shanghai Hold'em with a crew of Thracian mercenaries. Grab a contract and raid a warehouse-turned-brothel in search of a deserter from the Republican Navy. Saw his brain-chip out with a Chinese autosaw. Dodge a death squad of tattooed Russian mobsters. Get paid. Do it again.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:35 pm

Sounds fun.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Ace Lone
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ace Lone » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Speaking of fresh ideas, I have two I would like to share, and I am asking for opinions on them before I delve into writing them out as RP's.

So, here we are;

Idea #1~Cyber Knights
Set in the year 2022, this Roleplay revolves around a secret government military project set in northern Alaska at a US military research base, along the fringe of the coastline.

Here, DARPA scientists are working on a cybernetics project code-named "Iron Eden", the purpose of which is to take test subjects and "forge" them into cyborg soldiers, equipped and armed with the latest battlefield weapons, equipment, and other technology.

The project is a success and a small army of roughly one-hundred cyborgs is successfully forged.

They are sent out on a covert "test run" in the Middle East, where they will attack and destroy an ISIS or Al-Qaeda (i haven't decided) compound and eliminate all resistance and take no prisoners.

The operation is considered a success and DARPA is ready to take the final step in the project.

You see, the cyborgs still have their free will and empathic human minds, their very beings and senses of identity still exists within them.

DARPA however wishes to more or less "fry their brains" and render them as mindless half-machines whose only will and purpose will be combat and serving the United States Government.
The cyborgs' personalities and free will will be "overridden" and they will all be plugged into a kind of "mother mind", a master AI that controls all of the cyborgs and relays the will and orders of the government and military for them to carry out.

The cyborgs will learn of this unknowingly to the scientists, and will basically rebel against the DARPA scientists and the Iron Eden Project.
They end up slaughtering the scientists and the army garrison and freeing the test subjects who have not yet been engineered into cyborgs. They then lay waste to the research base and leave it in a state of flaming ruin.

And that's as far as I have gotten so far.

Players of course will create their own cyborg and role as them.

Suggestions and advice are welcome and wanted.

Idea #2~The Witch of The Rift (A Skyrim Fandom)
This Roleplay is more of a fandom, as you can see.

It is set one year before the canon events of Skyrim itself, and revolves around a band of mercenaries who have answered the call of the Jarl of Riften, who has sent word to the surrounding towns and holds that The Rift is being plagued by mysterious happenings.
For the past few months The Rift has been plagued by kidnappings from small settlements and from around Riften itself. Travelers have been found dead and mangled on the roads around Riften regularly, their bodies carved and sliced open and their organs and flesh removed.
And not to mention the ominous lights and sounds that the local farmers and fishermen have claimed to hear at night.

The Jarl at one point sent out a squad of Riften Guards at night to comb through the surrounding woods; only one returned, and he is currently being held in Riften jail, his mind it seems is broken, he jabbers incoherently and speaks in strange riddles, when he's not chuckling in madness that is.

Desperate to put an end to this, the Jarl sent out a calling for any mercenaries and adventurers willing to journey to Riften and seek her out about dealing with this problem, promising a very hefty payment.

Players of course will role as a mercenary who has answered the Jarl's call.
Feel free to also call me Acey, Mr. Lone, or, if your feeling like a kiss-up, the one true SHREDDER!

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:03 pm

Ace Lone wrote:Speaking of fresh ideas, I have two I would like to share, and I am asking for opinions on them before I delve into writing them out as RP's.

So, here we are;

Idea #1~Cyber Knights
Set in the year 2022, this Roleplay revolves around a secret government military project set in northern Alaska at a US military research base, along the fringe of the coastline.

Here, DARPA scientists are working on a cybernetics project code-named "Iron Eden", the purpose of which is to take test subjects and "forge" them into cyborg soldiers, equipped and armed with the latest battlefield weapons, equipment, and other technology.

The project is a success and a small army of roughly one-hundred cyborgs is successfully forged.

They are sent out on a covert "test run" in the Middle East, where they will attack and destroy an ISIS or Al-Qaeda (i haven't decided) compound and eliminate all resistance and take no prisoners.

The operation is considered a success and DARPA is ready to take the final step in the project.

You see, the cyborgs still have their free will and empathic human minds, their very beings and senses of identity still exists within them.

DARPA however wishes to more or less "fry their brains" and render them as mindless half-machines whose only will and purpose will be combat and serving the United States Government.
The cyborgs' personalities and free will will be "overridden" and they will all be plugged into a kind of "mother mind", a master AI that controls all of the cyborgs and relays the will and orders of the government and military for them to carry out.

The cyborgs will learn of this unknowingly to the scientists, and will basically rebel against the DARPA scientists and the Iron Eden Project.
They end up slaughtering the scientists and the army garrison and freeing the test subjects who have not yet been engineered into cyborgs. They then lay waste to the research base and leave it in a state of flaming ruin.

It is set one year before the canon events of Skyrim itself, and revolves around a band of mercenaries who have answered the call of the Jarl of Riften, who has sent word to the surrounding towns and holds that The Rift is being plagued by mysterious happenings.
For the past few months The Rift has been plagued by kidnappings from small settlements and from around Riften itself. Travelers have been found dead and mangled on the roads around Riften regularly, their bodies carved and sliced open and their organs and flesh removed.
And not to mention the ominous lights and sounds that the local farmers and fishermen have claimed to hear at night.

The Jarl at one point sent out a squad of Riften Guards at night to comb through the surrounding woods; only one returned, and he is currently being held in Riften jail, his mind it seems is broken, he jabbers incoherently and speaks in strange riddles, when he's not chuckling in madness that is.

Desperate to put an end to this, the Jarl sent out a calling for any mercenaries and adventurers willing to journey to Riften and seek her out about dealing with this problem, promising a very hefty payment.

Cyber Knights sounds cool.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

NewLakotah
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby NewLakotah » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:14 pm

Ace Lone wrote:Speaking of fresh ideas, I have two I would like to share, and I am asking for opinions on them before I delve into writing them out as RP's.

So, here we are;

Idea #1~Cyber Knights

Both sound interesting. I find the Skyrim one to be the most up my alley as far as RPing goes.
"How smooth must be the language of the whites, when they can make right look like wrong, and wrong like right." ~~ Black Hawk, Sauk

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." ~~ Tecumseh

Free Leonard Peltier!!

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:35 pm

Currently working on a Military survival horror with New Finnish Republic and Torrocca set during the Winter War and revolving around a squad cut off from its platoon during the battle of Salla. If anyone is interested just let me know, I should have the OOC up by tomorrow.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:10 pm

If I want to start putting together an RP over a period of time, should I put WIP in the title?
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

Harbertia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Harbertia » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:13 pm

Pax Nerdvana wrote:If I want to start putting together an RP over a period of time, should I put WIP in the title?

I prefer to put 'World Building' to get people involved in that work. WIP (Work in Progress) tends to make it seem solo and I imagine not get as many posts. The more people you get to post on the thread during production the more likely you are to have a player base when it's no longer WIP- otherwise you'll remove WIP and have to start advertizing it on the Advertizing thread.
Tomorrow is made today.

Pax Nerdvana
Post Marshal

Postby Pax Nerdvana » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:21 pm

Harbertia wrote:
Pax Nerdvana wrote:If I want to start putting together an RP over a period of time, should I put WIP in the title?

I prefer to put 'World Building' to get people involved in that work. WIP (Work in Progress) tends to make it seem solo and I imagine not get as many posts. The more people you get to post on the thread during production the more likely you are to have a player base when it's no longer WIP- otherwise you'll remove WIP and have to start advertizing it on the Advertizing thread.

So go with World Building? I'm planning on putting together that SF RP I talked about the other day. Thanks for the advice. Help would be much welcomed because I'll have a lot of lore to work through.
Quotes
We Will Not Comply
-Robert Heinlein

"Affordability

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives