NATION

PASSWORD

Nathi's Nook: The Not-So Eternal

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Snafturi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Snafturi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:36 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Snafturi wrote:I will for sure, and I think you're right about the types of foods.

I think my body is also getting used to the six meal a day thing too.

The six meals thing can be a bit hard on the body. Especially if you're used to the three meals a day practice.

Oh my goodness yes! I really didn't expect that it would be such a radical change, just annoying to have to remember to eat. But like yesterday, I was a couple hundred calories short because I just couldn't stand to put one more piece of food in my mouth. Not in a "I'm afraid of the calories" way, but in a "I am going to scream if I have to chew or taste anything right now!" way.

I did read through my food journals, and it seems that the hunger starts after I eat my morning apple. I'm also suspicious that the carrots might be making me hungry too. I don't even know if that's possible, but I'm switching to cucumbers and celery for my snacks to see what happens.

While I have been complaining about this programme, it honestly is mostly good. I really like that they give you cookbooks instead of making you buy food, and the cookbooks are pretty awesome. The people are also really nice, educated, and if something's not working, they do work to change it. They want people to be happy with the programme.
[color=#000080]
The four most overrated things in life are champagne, lobsters,... and picnics -Hitchen

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:28 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Soldati senza confini wrote:
I'm only used to one or two meals. I usually skip lunch.

Breakfast for me is very lite. It usually involves either a small bowl of cereal with juice or toast with jam and orange juice. I have tea and a quick snack around 10 hours. Lunch however, I eat a big portion. It usually involves heavier stuff, like pizza or beef stews. For dinner, I try to go lite again. I'm not always successful. Especially now that I live in the US.

Americans love to eat. :p

yes we do, though my experience says so do the french, spanish and italians, and they all do it better than us.

the many small meals a day thing is about blood levels. many small meals as opposed to a few big ones, doesnt give the body spikes in blood sugar and enzimes, that 2 large ones do. they tell diabeics the same thing.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:41 am

Dear Lord. I got a blue screen of death last night on my computer, and my computer is laggy. I am now using a school computer.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Josh Beaty
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Josh Beaty » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:55 am

Luziyca wrote:Dear Lord. I got a blue screen of death last night on my computer, and my computer is laggy. I am now using a school computer.

>:( Technology...
I am Butterfingers. Here me squeak!

Yoite wrote:
Thafoo wrote:What's that, chair?

He says you never wanted him until he was gone.

I never wanted him at all, that one's off his rocker.

Send all roleplay comments, questions, and chatter to Untamed Shadow.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:58 am

My own laptop needs help. The fan keeps sounding weird, the battery won't charge anymore, and the power cord is wonky. That's just for starters. Can't see at least half the letters on the keyboard, not that I need them, but it looks odd. And the frame around the screen has cracked. And there's a short somewhere in the lid, so the screen flickers sometimes when it's pinched or something. Whee.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:My own laptop needs help. The fan keeps sounding weird, the battery won't charge anymore, and the power cord is wonky. That's just for starters. Can't see at least half the letters on the keyboard, not that I need them, but it looks odd. And the frame around the screen has cracked. And there's a short somewhere in the lid, so the screen flickers sometimes when it's pinched or something. Whee.

blame a kid, buy a new one.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:13 am

"I....ain't got no money. No money. There for me, no money. No money's there for me. Iiiiiiiiiiii'm so sad and lowly. Sad and lowly, sad and lowly. Oh some sweet sugar daddy, come and take a chance with me, 'fore I just go mad ..."

Kidding. On the sugar daddy at least. Mostly. If anyone even recognizes the rip I'll giggle.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:56 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:"I....ain't got no money. No money. There for me, no money. No money's there for me. Iiiiiiiiiiii'm so sad and lowly. Sad and lowly, sad and lowly. Oh some sweet sugar daddy, come and take a chance with me, 'fore I just go mad ..."

Kidding. On the sugar daddy at least. Mostly. If anyone even recognizes the rip I'll giggle.

i have a plan, i cant really say much about it. except on my last day of work "just a gigalo" in yiddish will be sung to every station in the nyc subway systems.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Founded: Mar 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:43 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:My own laptop needs help. The fan keeps sounding weird, the battery won't charge anymore, and the power cord is wonky. That's just for starters. Can't see at least half the letters on the keyboard, not that I need them, but it looks odd. And the frame around the screen has cracked. And there's a short somewhere in the lid, so the screen flickers sometimes when it's pinched or something. Whee.

Here's what I see wrong with it:

- The fan is about to die (or is dusty or bent, and, unless you can disassemble your computer and bend the fan back in shape and clean the assembly, I doubt you can repair that).
- The backlight board is about to die as well (it isn't a short from what it sounds like, I'm looking more at the backlight board failing at this point from how structurally sound your computer sounds like at this point, especially on the monitor bezel).
- Your battery is dead
- Your power supply is bad (or if you mean at the place it connects your internal power plug pin is getting loose AND it's not only your PS that's the issue but the entire motherboard).

Computer brand, model, and year please, and if older than 2007 get yourself a new (or used that's in good conditions) one; it's not worth the hassle to repair it unless it's a macbook or a computer you got for less than 500 dollars and you know how to repair yourself anyhow, and which parts are so common they are selling at 10-50 dollars. I'm estimating about 200-400 dollars worth of repairs on the low side from a tech, and DIY is about 150 - 300 on the low end too depending on the rarity of the parts and whatnot since I don't know brand or model.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:57 am, edited 10 times in total.
Soldati senza confini: Better than an iPod in shuffle more with 20,000 songs.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Current Goal: Flesh out nation factbook.

R the Zombie
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby R the Zombie » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:46 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:"I....ain't got no money. No money. There for me, no money. No money's there for me. Iiiiiiiiiiii'm so sad and lowly. Sad and lowly, sad and lowly. Oh some sweet sugar daddy, come and take a chance with me, 'fore I just go mad ..."

Now I see you dressed as David Lee Roth in a music video. This is entertaining to me.
I am Chrinthanium
"Mr. Humprhies, come sit next to me and give me a baby."
Gallade wrote:
R the Zombie wrote:I don't eat ponies. I'm not interested in crapping rainbows all night.

Either live up to negative stereotypes or GTFO, R!

Benshir wrote:
Cadonica wrote:Brazilian Ji Jitsu

Remember, it's only gay if you make eye contact.

Gallade wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Guess the potatoes are going to be expensive this season.

Ach, that will drive up the price of Irish beef here when we have to make up for the loss.

Thanks R, you've singlehandedly destroyed the EU.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:03 am

Ok ... I'm giggling. And trying not to cough too much. :P

The screen's been doing that for a couple years now. I'm just careful about it. The power cord bit, I've replaced before, and could replace again. It all just boils down to money and the lack thereof. And how I would feel guilt for getting a replacement at this point, but that's a whole other story. I'll manage. ;)

In any case ... who's up for a reboot?

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:03 am

Luziyca wrote:Dear Lord. I got a blue screen of death last night on my computer, and my computer is laggy. I am now using a school computer.

Clean Disk and Defrag helps for that.
Tekania wrote:Welcome to NSG, where informed opinions get to bump-heads with ignorant ideology under the pretense of an equal footing.

"When it’s a choice of putting food on the table, or thinking about your morals, it’s easier to say you’d think about your morals, but only if you’ve never faced that decision." - Anastasia Richardson

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:07 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Ok ... I'm giggling. And trying not to cough too much. :P

The screen's been doing that for a couple years now. I'm just careful about it. The power cord bit, I've replaced before, and could replace again. It all just boils down to money and the lack thereof. And how I would feel guilt for getting a replacement at this point, but that's a whole other story. I'll manage. ;)

It happens the same to my mac :p but for me it's been the insane amount of hours I left it on (24/7 for an entire year). And is well known backlight boards are not eternal :lol2:

But yea, if the monitor bit is not a huge hassle for you then it's just all about the fan, and the battery/power supply being replaced. As for the keyboard, there's keyboard covers for that, and they are cheaper than replacing the whole thing.

I really don't feel guilt in replacing a computer myself :lol: I concede the fact that I need to upgrade from time to time. Of course I upgrade every 2 years depending on my needs, I've even had computers made in 2000 when I first started having computers because they were fast enough for what I needed them; now? I'm only sticking to 2006 as a cutoff date.
Last edited by Soldati Senza Confini on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Father Knows Best State

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:19 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:Ok ... I'm giggling. And trying not to cough too much. :P

it depends on who we are rebooting.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:21 am

Ethel mermania wrote:

I was thinking more of a threadly reboot, actually.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:23 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

I was thinking more of a threadly reboot, actually.

We can go for that, I suppose.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:25 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:I was thinking more of a threadly reboot, actually.

No enthusiasm? I'd hoped a couple weeks off wouldn't kill that entirely. The reboot was more eternally-motivated, not this one.

Soldati Senza Confini
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Soldati Senza Confini » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:

No enthusiasm? I'd hoped a couple weeks off wouldn't kill that entirely. The reboot was more eternally-motivated, not this one.

I'm not publicly known for that either, so take that "lack of enthusiasm" with a grain of salt :p

Dremaur
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 17, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dremaur » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:36 am

Dread Lady Nathicana wrote:No enthusiasm? I'd hoped a couple weeks off wouldn't kill that entirely. The reboot was more eternally-motivated, not this one.

I'm not publicly known for that either, so take that "lack of enthusiasm" with a grain of salt :p
Reboot?
The East Pacific
~~All opinions are my own unless otherwise specified~~

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:41 am

Snafturi wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
The six meals thing can be a bit hard on the body. Especially if you're used to the three meals a day practice.

Oh my goodness yes! I really didn't expect that it would be such a radical change, just annoying to have to remember to eat. But like yesterday, I was a couple hundred calories short because I just couldn't stand to put one more piece of food in my mouth. Not in a "I'm afraid of the calories" way, but in a "I am going to scream if I have to chew or taste anything right now!" way.

Oh, it is radical. Our bodies are like us, beings of custom. We get used to things, we have a routine. When we break it, it can be like the Exorcist, with heads spinning around and green puke shooting out of our mouths. :p

We get used to the change but, in the meantime, it's annoying.

I did read through my food journals, and it seems that the hunger starts after I eat my morning apple. I'm also suspicious that the carrots might be making me hungry too. I don't even know if that's possible, but I'm switching to cucumbers and celery for my snacks to see what happens.

Hmm, apple. Are your sugar levels fine?

Celery is very soothing to the stomach. If I had a rough night for dinner, as in ate too much fatty or greasy food, the celery soothes the stomach. Cucumbers are very refreshing.

While I have been complaining about this programme, it honestly is mostly good. I really like that they give you cookbooks instead of making you buy food, and the cookbooks are pretty awesome. The people are also really nice, educated, and if something's not working, they do work to change it. They want people to be happy with the programme.

That's awesome. Especially the points of the cookbook (that way you can make the changes permanently, by cooking yourself) and the not making you buy prepared foods (it's friendly to your pocket). That is a drawback from many of the dieting programs I've seen in the US. They don't seem to be teaching people to make healthy changes and stick with them. They just want you to buy their food and that's how you'll lose the weight. But as soon as you get off the program, the pounds are back with a vengeance.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Snafturi
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Snafturi » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:21 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Oh, it is radical. Our bodies are like us, beings of custom. We get used to things, we have a routine. When we break it, it can be like the Exorcist, with heads spinning around and green puke shooting out of our mouths. :p

We get used to the change but, in the meantime, it's annoying.

That's good to know. People who do the six meal a day thing swear by it, so I do want to see if it's better.

Hmm, apple. Are your sugar levels fine?

I have had it tested, fairly recently actually (we had a lab on it). Very normal. My body does seem to be sensitive to sugar though. Sweet stuff in the morning never sits right with me.
Celery is very soothing to the stomach. If I had a rough night for dinner, as in ate too much fatty or greasy food, the celery soothes the stomach. Cucumbers are very refreshing.

I'll try it for a couple of days, but the hunger pangs so far have been less. Celery is tasty too.

That's awesome. Especially the points of the cookbook (that way you can make the changes permanently, by cooking yourself) and the not making you buy prepared foods (it's friendly to your pocket). That is a drawback from many of the dieting programs I've seen in the US. They don't seem to be teaching people to make healthy changes and stick with them. They just want you to buy their food and that's how you'll lose the weight. But as soon as you get off the program, the pounds are back with a vengeance.

Yeah, and it makes sense that would happen too. Dieting is all about permanent changes, which is something this programme stresses.

My brother did one of those "buy our food" programmes (he still lives in the US). I can't remember the name, it wasn't Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers, but it was horrid. They also tell you that if you lose your target amount of weight, you get half your money back. I kind of am suspicious that they don't really want people to succeed.
[color=#000080]
The four most overrated things in life are champagne, lobsters,... and picnics -Hitchen

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives