NATION

PASSWORD

TET: You forget a thousand things a day....but not TET!

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:57 am

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:58 am

Arglorand wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
No Netflix.

Speaking of Netflix, I got the Lithuanian equivalent today.

All the old Soviet comedies I want are for free~

Soviet comedies were good? :blink:

The only Soviet TV/film production I'm aware of that was any good was the film adaptation of Tom Sawyer.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:59 am

Transnapastain wrote:
Camelza wrote:Actually, she went briefly under the name St. Lo and that was her name by the time she sunk ...it was previously named USS Midway.

See, what we have here is a failure to specific.

Though I should have figured it out, you were talking about the USS Midway CVE-63), where as I was talking about the USS Midway CV-41. Mah bad.

Entirely different ships.

My bad for not using her final name, though.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:00 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Arglorand wrote:Speaking of Netflix, I got the Lithuanian equivalent today.

Soviet cinema is best cinema! But seriously, quite a few excellent movies were made in the Soviet Union. Enjoy!

Indeed. I find cinema to be one of the USSR's strong sides. And New Year's Eve just can't go without the Irony of Fate, so even on the extremely low off-chance that they won't show it when said holiday rolls around I'll be able to watch it. :P

Grenartia wrote:
Arglorand wrote:Speaking of Netflix, I got the Lithuanian equivalent today.

The only Soviet TV/film production I'm aware of that was any good was the film adaptation of Tom Sawyer.

They used to be brilliant, actually.

The one I linked in this post, for example, I strongly recommend watching if you can find a subbed version. Preferably during the winter holidays.
Last edited by Arglorand on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:03 am

Arglorand wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Soviet cinema is best cinema! But seriously, quite a few excellent movies were made in the Soviet Union. Enjoy!

Indeed. I find cinema to be one of the USSR's strong sides. And New Year's Eve just can't go without the Irony of Fate, so even on the extremely low off-chance that they won't show it when said holiday rolls around I'll be able to watch it. :P

Grenartia wrote:

The one I linked in this post, for example, I strongly recommend watching if you can find a subbed version. Preferably during the winter holidays.

The Soviets already had romcoms in the seventies? They were closer to world domination than I previously thought!
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Camelza
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Camelza » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:03 am

It'll be great to cut perfect slices of salami on.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:04 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Arglorand wrote:Indeed. I find cinema to be one of the USSR's strong sides. And New Year's Eve just can't go without the Irony of Fate, so even on the extremely low off-chance that they won't show it when said holiday rolls around I'll be able to watch it. :P

The Soviets already had romcoms in the seventies? They were closer to world domination than I previously thought!

Some unprecedentedly good ones too.

Nothing, however, can beat the Adventures of Shurik.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:05 am

I'm ready to just completely knock down a wall right now. 1 of 11 days now, I have successfully woken up on time. I wasn't going to even sleep last night, because at 7 in the working I can't sleep, and I want to be up at 8, it just makes sense not to. But somehow I do fall asleep, sleep right through all 3 alarms I've set, and wake up again at 1130, like every other time.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17 am

Arglorand wrote:
Hurdegaryp wrote:Soviet cinema is best cinema! But seriously, quite a few excellent movies were made in the Soviet Union. Enjoy!

Grenartia wrote:

Huh. One would think the censorship would've hindered them...

There were some good American TV shows as well, back in the day. M*A*S*H, Emergency! (which actually caused the rest of the nation to create paramedic programs), Bewitched, etc. I'd recommend watching any one of them if you can (especially the first two).
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:18 am

Auremena wrote:I'm ready to just completely knock down a wall right now. 1 of 11 days now, I have successfully woken up on time. I wasn't going to even sleep last night, because at 7 in the working I can't sleep, and I want to be up at 8, it just makes sense not to. But somehow I do fall asleep, sleep right through all 3 alarms I've set, and wake up again at 1130, like every other time.

Go to bed earlier?

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:21 am

The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Armed Republic of Dutch Coolness » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:25 am

40/10-1=3

Half-Life 3 Anounced!
P2TM Mentor
TG me!
Discord available on request as well
Or join the Mentor Discord server!

Such a cool time I select, looking out my window, and that's that

The worlding of the words is AMARANTH.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:27 am

Divair wrote:
Napkiraly wrote:His smartphone strategy was a disaster for Nokia however. Nokia's problems aren't all Elop's fault, but he also didn't really magically make everything better either and I'd prefer someone else to take care of Microsoft.

How was his smartphone strategy a disaster? Before he came along, Nokia was in free-fall. They had no intention to change any of their tactics. They just planned to die with dumbphones. Then he comes along, signs up with Microsoft (because by this point Android is being dominated by companies like Samsung and HTC), and puts the company on a track to recovery. He's very similar to Obama in many ways.

And Nokia still lost in terms of its share of the smartphone market, not to mention stock price. Being called in by the shareholders due to failing to get back into the smartphone race and then having to sell off the mobile portion of your company to another company due to that is not what I'd call a resounding success. He managed a restructuring, one that we have yet to see how it turns out.

And he definitely isn't like Obama.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:29 am

Napkiraly wrote:And Nokia still lost in terms of its share of the smartphone market, not to mention stock price.

It never had a smartphone market share. Now with Elop, it does. And the stock price has been recovering for a year.

Napkiraly wrote:He managed a restructuring, one that we have yet to see how it turns out.

We can already see the effects by looking at how WP and Lumia marketshares are doing. Nokia is again on top in Russia, and has taken 2nd place in India (VERY crucial market), along with taking 1st or 2nd places throughout Europe and South America. North America is the only place it's doing "badly", and even there it's still growing far faster than iOS and Android.

Napkiraly wrote:And he definitely isn't like Obama.

Taking over a mess and turning it around? Very similar.
Last edited by Divair on Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:51 am

From another thread I learned that you can get banned for two weeks when you keep complimenting someone because of their Silver Medal debating techniques. Some irony may have been involved, but still. It's fascinating for all the wrong reasons.
CVT Temp wrote:I mean, we can actually create a mathematical definition for evolution in terms of the evolutionary algorithm and then write code to deal with abstract instances of evolution, which basically equates to mathematical proof that evolution works. All that remains is to show that biological systems replicate in such a way as to satisfy the minimal criteria required for evolution to apply to them, something which has already been adequately shown time and again. At this point, we've pretty much proven that not only can evolution happen, it pretty much must happen since it's basically impossible to prevent it from happening.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:51 am

10 minutes!

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:51 am

Grenartia wrote:
Arglorand wrote:Indeed. I find cinema to be one of the USSR's strong sides. And New Year's Eve just can't go without the Irony of Fate, so even on the extremely low off-chance that they won't show it when said holiday rolls around I'll be able to watch it. :P

Huh. One would think the censorship would've hindered them...

There were some good American TV shows as well, back in the day. M*A*S*H, Emergency! (which actually caused the rest of the nation to create paramedic programs), Bewitched, etc. I'd recommend watching any one of them if you can (especially the first two).

While it is true that moviemaking was incredibly censored and propagandised under Stalin, after destalinization you could film, write or paint pretty much anything as long as it wasn't too adult, too liberal or at all critical of the state.

I'll try to see a few of those.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:00 am

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:01 am

I think I may be in the midst of a cold war over the thermostat.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:02 am

Divair wrote:http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
YEAAAAAAAAAAAA

You're such a geek, Div. :p
Forever a Communist

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 am

Blasveck wrote:
Divair wrote:http://store.steampowered.com/livingroom/SteamOS/
YEAAAAAAAAAAAA

Tell me something I don't know.

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:05 am

Des-Bal wrote:I think I may be in the midst of a cold war over the thermostat.

Room temperature is serious business.

Blasveck
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Blasveck » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:09 am

Divair wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

So, will this SteamOS work on any living room system?

Like a PS3?
Forever a Communist

Hurdegaryp
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Hurdegaryp » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:09 am

Divair wrote:
Blasveck wrote:

Suske & Wiske, known in the English world as Spike & Suzy (UK) or Willy & Wanda (USA), became serialised in Hergé's Franco-Belgian comics magazine Tintin from 1948 to 1959.

Des-Bal
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Des-Bal » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:10 am

Hurdegaryp wrote:Room temperature is serious business.

Every time I walk past the thermostat the temperature is different. Sometimes it's up sometimes it's down and sometimes it's in between as though someone is trying to compromise. Nobody has discussed the temperature and there's no way to tell who wants it warm and who wants it cool. I don't know who my allies are, this is some deep shit.
Cekoviu wrote:DES-BAL: Introverted, blunt, focused, utilitarian. Hard to read; not verbose online or likely in real life. Places little emphasis on interpersonal relationships, particularly with online strangers for whom the investment would outweigh the returns.
Desired perception: Logical, intellectual
Public perception: Neutral-positive - blunt, cold, logical, skilled at debating
Mindset: Logos

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives