NATION

PASSWORD

TET: Surfin' Surfin' WIND Surfin'!

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:19 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Thafoo wrote:My faux-Russian accent is normally great but it became boring and shitty when I tried it this time, like ARYANPOWER2013.

I have a faux-Russian accent as my default accent when I'm not making an actual pitched effort to speak English well.

Well, maybe not exactly faux-Russian. It's lost somewhere in the three way crossroads between Lithuania, Poland and Russia.

If I talk for too long, I get a deep southern United States accent.

How did that happen? I haven't the foggiest idea. There is no Deep Southern SATW character.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Esen wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Care to elaborate?

Oh who me?

It isn't important. Sure it's good to know but, it's more of a personal and close friends thing.

That being said, flaunting (if done correctly) is better than holing and bottling yourself. Idon'tmakesense.

I agree that suppressing is not healthy. I'm just curious as to why some people define themselves solely by their sexual preference.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Mushet wrote:To people whom it is a major part of their identity yes it is. Some people heavily associate themselves with queer culture, others mark themselves as such in pride against homophobes.

But that's not all you are. Do you know what I mean?

I understand but to some it's a major component of their identity, it doesn't have to be all you are to be important.
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Esen
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Esen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Esen wrote:Oh who me?

It isn't important. Sure it's good to know but, it's more of a personal and close friends thing.

That being said, flaunting (if done correctly) is better than holing and bottling yourself. Idon'tmakesense.

I agree that suppressing is not healthy. I'm just curious as to why some people define themselves solely by their sexual preference.

Oh, human psychology.
To be, or not to be, that is the question

Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lordieth wrote:
No, it's not, but it's still a convenient, if somewhat over-simplistic way of explaining your orientation. I don't think it matters in the sense that it's much more greyscale than a set of categories.

My orientation is: depends.

Exactly.

It's unfortunate some people are stuck in very rigid mindsets. You're either this or that, and anything they don't understand is treated as abnormal. I wish there were less closed minds in the World. I'm not saying you have to embrace other ways of thinking, but at least accept that other views exist outside of your own.
Last edited by Lordieth on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:21 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
It is interesting. It's just that I've met people who solely define themselves by it and, IMHO, although part of you, it doesn't completely define you.

I can't stand to identify by one thing, unless it's my name or my NS name.

Pretty much. Your X or Y sexual preference. But you're also so much more so why limit it.
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Cill Airne
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cill Airne » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:22 pm

I think my diet diary has gone faulty... It says I am about 1500 calories over my daily "limit" .... But i've only had 556 calories today. I think it wants me to have negative calories... O,o
Anglican
Avid reader

To dare is to lose one’s footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Esen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Esen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:22 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Thafoo wrote:My faux-Russian accent is normally great but it became boring and shitty when I tried it this time, like ARYANPOWER2013.

I have a faux-Russian accent as my default accent when I'm not making an actual pitched effort to speak English well.

Well, maybe not exactly faux-Russian. It's lost somewhere in the three way crossroads between Lithuania, Poland and Russia.

Yay~! Someone who has no clear accent exists other than me :3

Feels ;v;
Thafoo wrote:
Arglorand wrote:I have a faux-Russian accent as my default accent when I'm not making an actual pitched effort to speak English well.

If I talk for too long, I get a deep southern United States accent.

How did that happen? I haven't the foggiest idea. There is no Deep Southern SATW character.

Well you do hail from Kansas /critical research failure

Thafoo
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thafoo » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Esen wrote:
Arglorand wrote:I have a faux-Russian accent as my default accent when I'm not making an actual pitched effort to speak English well.

Feels ;v;
Thafoo wrote:If I talk for too long, I get a deep southern United States accent.

Ten points to Gryffindor. Clap clap. Amazing. That explains everything.

Mollary
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mollary » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Exactly.

It's unfortunate some people are stuck in very rigid mindsets. You're either this or that, and anything they don't understand is treated as abnormal. I wish there were less closed minds in the World. I'm not saying you have to embrace other ways of thinking, but at least accept that other views exist outside of your own.

It's very much like that where I live; I had a boyfriend and people said "Oh, so you're gay then?" and I said no and then they asked if I was bi and I said no again and then they just looked very confused about the whole thing.
Good stuff
Apathy
Bad things

Esen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Esen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:23 pm

Thafoo wrote:
Esen wrote:Yay~! Someone who has no clear accent exists other than me :3

Feels ;v;

Ten points to Gryffindor. Clap clap. Amazing. That explains everything.

Thank you hun~ :3

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Lordieth wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Exactly.

I guess that for me, since I grew up seeing homosexuality as normal, it doesn't factor in. Yes, this person likes people of the same sex. However, he or she is more than just that aspect to me.

I'm not saying it isn't positive to identify. I hope it didn't come across that way. I just wonder why some people use their sexuality as their sole defining aspect.
Slava Ukraini

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Lordieth wrote:
When did I say I was straight? :lol:

Well, me and this other friend did get close at one stage, but it was totally cool, because it didn't change our friendship one bit. :)

Point made. :lol:

Ha! That's awesome. :D
Me and my buddy might have had one of those moments last night. :unsure:

Hey, that's cool. It worked for me and my friend because it wasn't an emotional thing, it was just two friends having fun. It didn't feel wierd or anything. In the end it turned out just to be a curiosity for him, so that was that, but we remained the same good friends were before, which I think is a rare thing.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Esen wrote:

When I make an EFFORT to speak English well, I start out with a generic Western European of undefined ethnicity accent, before gradually progressing through a Welsh accent all the way to a Scottish one, which is when I realize I need to start this accent game over.

True story.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Luziyca wrote:Nah, it'd be filled with anti-commie crap. Also, what ideas would people see in regards to HippoStates/ReagenStates?

I see.

It'd just consist of one issue asking you if you want to murder Russians or murder poor people.

The same issue, every day or twice a day? Jesus. That''d be fucking boring.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Luveria
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Luveria » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:
I dunno that it's that important, but I must confess to finding it an interesting trait in a person, if that makes sense.

It is interesting. It's just that I've met people who solely define themselves by it and, IMHO, although part of you, it doesn't completely define you.

I've tried to explain to a few they should stop doing that, since it's making them appear quite empty and shallow if they are nothing more than a walking label. I find people who are lacking in substance will go around parading their sexual orientation or gender as who they are, and it makes them nothing more than only that. I like knowing such details out of curiosity but I'd rather know them as a person instead of by their sexual orientation or gender.

Mushet
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Mushet » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

I guess that for me, since I grew up seeing homosexuality as normal, it doesn't factor in. Yes, this person likes people of the same sex. However, he or she is more than just that aspect to me.

I'm not saying it isn't positive to identify. I hope it didn't come across that way. I just wonder why some people use their sexuality as their sole defining aspect.

Is there anybody actually saying that their sexuality is their sole defining aspect? I can see some that it's so integral they make it a primary one but doubt there's any that are saying "All I am is a homosexual"
"what I believe is like a box, and we’re taking the energy of our thinking and putting into a box of beliefs, pretending that we’re thinking...I’ve gone through most of my life not believing anything. Either I know or I don’t know, or I think." - John Trudell

Gun control is, and always has been, a tool of white supremacy.

Puppet: E-City ranked #1 in the world for Highest Drug Use on 5/25/2015
Puppet Sacred Heart Church ranked #2 in the world for Nudest 2/25/2010
OP of a 5 page archived thread The Forum Seven Tit Museum
Previous Official King of Forum 7 (2010-2012/13), relinquished own title
First person to get AQ'd Quote was funnier in 2011, you had to have been there
Celebrating over a decade on Nationstates!

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Arglorand wrote:It'd just consist of one issue asking you if you want to murder Russians or murder poor people.

The same issue, every day or twice a day? Jesus. That''d be fucking boring.

It is said that there is a mythical second issue, which makes you make the choice between outlawing public education and murdering all Palestinians on Earth.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist

Esen
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Esen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Arglorand wrote:
Esen wrote:Yay~! Someone who has no clear accent exists other than me :3

When I make an EFFORT to speak English well, I start out with a generic Western European of undefined ethnicity accent, before gradually progressing through a Welsh accent all the way to a Scottish one, which is when I realize I need to start this accent game over.

True story.

At least you don't have some cross between Singlish and Quebecois English accent. Trust me. I sound like a dying goat. And no, there was no bestiality involved. And I feel like my sympathies were eaten by a monster.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:27 pm

Luveria wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I've tried to explain to a few they should stop doing that, since it's making them appear quite empty and shallow if they are nothing more than a walking label. I find people who are lacking in substance will go around parading their sexual orientation or gender as who they are, and it makes them nothing more than only that. I like knowing such details out of curiosity but I'd rather know them as a person instead of by their sexual orientation or gender.

Agreed fully. I'm bisexual but that's not all I am.
Slava Ukraini

The Serbian Empire
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Serbian Empire » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:28 pm

I think I'm gonna listen to WAR's Cisco Kid.
LOVEWHOYOUARE~ WOMAN
Level 12 Myrmidon, Level ⑨ Tsundere, Level ✿ Hold My Flower
Bad Idea Purveyor
8 Values: https://8values.github.io/results.html?e=56.1&d=70.2&g=86.5&s=91.9
Political Compass: Economic -10.00 Authoritarian: -9.13
TG for Facebook if you want to friend me
Marissa, Goddess of Stratospheric Reach
preferred pronouns: Female ones
Primarily lesbian, but pansexual in nature

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Mushet wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Is there anybody actually saying that their sexuality is their sole defining aspect? I can see some that it's so integral they make it a primary one but doubt there's any that are saying "All I am is a homosexual"

Yes, there are people like that. I've met a few. Here in NSG? I can't say.
Slava Ukraini

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:
I can't stand to identify by one thing, unless it's my name or my NS name.

Pretty much. Your X or Y sexual preference. But you're also so much more so why limit it.

It's like, I'm barely bisexual, but if I identify as only being bisexual, it does an injustice to the bigger picture...
I'm an Aspie that enjoys sports, humor, music, food, religion and politics, and by limiting myself to "I'm bisexual" or any other of those things, I can't communicate any of my other traits.
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Lordieth wrote:

I understand where you're coming from. Not so much that labelling exists, but that so much emphasis is put on it in terms on ones identity. I don't place a great deal of importance on it, and neither do my friends. Gay, straight, bisexual, it changes nothing about how I feel about them or vice versa, so I've never seen it as relevant.

However, some people do use their sexuality as a statement. but that's entirely up to them.
Last edited by Lordieth on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Esen wrote:
Arglorand wrote:When I make an EFFORT to speak English well, I start out with a generic Western European of undefined ethnicity accent, before gradually progressing through a Welsh accent all the way to a Scottish one, which is when I realize I need to start this accent game over.

True story.

At least you don't have some cross between Singlish and Quebecois English accent. Trust me. I sound like a dying goat. And no, there was no bestiality involved. And I feel like my sympathies were eaten by a monster.

No, I merely stole them so I could reuse them at some useful point.

Like now.

My sympathies. Having heard my speaking recorded a few times, I know how horrid it is to have a horrible accent.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives