NATION

PASSWORD

The Spectator|De Zuskouwe (Newspaper) [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nationalist Eminral Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationalist Eminral Republic » Wed May 22, 2013 10:06 am

Perspective
THE NCP: What's unique about it?

By: Michael Harper

As the member of the National Centre Party, I am pleased to hear that the party has become official and recognized in the NSG Senate. I have been scrolling down under the list of parties and if you look closely, you will notice that the NCP is the only party with 3 chairmen. Before anyone asks, "Why do NCP have 3 chairmen?", to be honest I do not know either. However, one thing I could assure you is that having 3 chairmen instead of just one balances the power within the party and prevents tyranny.

Before the NCP came into existence, there were three separate political parties, namely the Republican Union Party, Civic Party and the National People's Party. In order to ensure coexistence with the former members of the former parties and in order to compromise with a new platform, three chairmen are needed to represent not only the former members of the old party but also the former members of the former parties. Aside from this, the benefit of having three chairmen ensures that the leadership of the party will not become inactive. Even if the most active chairman leaves, we can always count on another one.

Another thing that is unique about the NCP is what we call party-list. Party-lists are like factions, there are party-list for center-right members and there are another one for center-left members. The party-list system is not yet implemented within the NCP. This ensures the balance between centrist right and centrist left senators. It will ensure that both party-list should make compromise for the benefit of the whole party, reaching a middle-ground, centrist position.

Lastly, what I could see that is unique about NCP is that any members at any given time can voice their own opinions and propose changes for the benefit of the party. There are no ranks or anything like that in the NCP because everyone aside from the Central Committee is part of the Executive Committee, which makes them closer to the party leadership. At any given time, requests of the members or suggestions regarding party structure or policies can be submitted and it will be discussed by all members, making it an example of a truly democratic party it stands and fights for.

Michael Harper is a Senator and member of the National Centre Party and a guest editor for The Spectator. Contact him at mharper@ncpaurentina.org.

Image Share Image Tweet Image Comment
Last edited by Nationalist Eminral Republic on Wed May 22, 2013 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]
Federation of Eminral RepublicPederasyon ng Republika ng Eminral
エミンラル共和連邦 Federación de la República Eminral

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Thu May 23, 2013 4:07 am

May I become a reporter?
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Consumer Regulated Donuts
Spokesperson

Founded: May 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Consumer Regulated Donuts » Thu May 23, 2013 8:52 am

Hmm... Not much happening in the senate, but I'll have an article up today :)

- Formerely Ironrite, in case you forgot :p
I prefer to be called "Donuts" over anything else, thank you!

Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.18

Add +1000 Posts, established September 2012

Beta Test
Minister

Founded: Jan 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Beta Test » Sat May 25, 2013 11:43 pm

I would like to join. Perhaps I could give reports about the Lib Dems and the Progress Coalition.
Member of the Coalition of Workers and Farmers
Michael Ferreira: President of the Senate
Philip Awad: Former Secretary of Rural Development

Greater Pokarnia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Pokarnia » Sat May 25, 2013 11:49 pm

OP is updated; all members/articles accepted.
First Deputy Secretary of the Communist Party and Minister of Education of the NSG Senate, representing Constituency 316.

[Insert personal information]

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sat May 25, 2013 11:53 pm

I'm going to get to work on designing a front page. Hopefully I have not forgotten all the HTML I learned a few months ago...
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun May 26, 2013 11:48 am

Impressive newspaper. Needs more articles, tho.

Fulflood
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Sun May 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Divair wrote:Impressive newspaper. Needs more articles, tho.

:blink:
You're back I see
I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.
Straight male British apatheist pacifist environmentalist social liberal

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun May 26, 2013 12:14 pm

Fulflood wrote:

:blink:
You're back I see

Just helping the Senate stay alive so when I come back it's not dead.

Don't plan on sticking around for long. Work to do.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun May 26, 2013 1:13 pm

You're back!
I support peace in Israel and Palestine. The governments and people in power on all sides are an absolute disgrace, and their unwillingness to pursue peace is a disservice to the people they are meant to be serving. The status quo is not simply untenable; it is unquestionably unacceptable.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun May 26, 2013 1:52 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:

You're back!

No, just here briefly to help boost activity in the Senate.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Sun May 26, 2013 2:03 pm

Divair wrote:
Regnum Dominae wrote:You're back!

No, just here briefly to help boost activity in the Senate.

We're pretty active. We have 25 bills in the queue, more parties, and 389 senators.
Last edited by Geilinor on Sun May 26, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun May 26, 2013 5:14 pm

Geilinor wrote:
Divair wrote:No, just here briefly to help boost activity in the Senate.

We're pretty active. We have 25 bills in the queue, more parties, and 389 senators.

Could be more active.

The Jahistic Unified Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jahistic Unified Republic » Sun May 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Divair wrote:
Geilinor wrote:We're pretty active. We have 25 bills in the queue, more parties, and 389 senators.

Could be more active.

That's the spirit.

<Koyro> (Democratic Koyro) NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
The Emerald Dawn wrote:"Considering Officer Krupke was patently idiotic to charge these young men in the first place, we're dropping the charges in the interest of not wasting any more of the Judiciary's time with farcical charges brought by officers who require more training on basic legal principles."

Baseball is Best Sport. Life long StL Fan.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Sun May 26, 2013 5:16 pm

The Jahistic Unified Republic wrote:
Divair wrote:Could be more active.

That's the spirit.

That every single person on here should have so it's more active.

So get to it.

Regnum Dominae
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Regnum Dominae » Sun May 26, 2013 5:16 pm

Divair wrote:
Geilinor wrote:We're pretty active. We have 25 bills in the queue, more parties, and 389 senators.

Could be more active.

The mods threatened to shut us down if we don't better control our members though. :/

The Jahistic Unified Republic
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Jahistic Unified Republic » Sun May 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Regnum Dominae wrote:
Divair wrote:Could be more active.

The mods threatened to shut us down if we don't better control our members though. :/

Hence we should start expelling members, preferably a well known one, to send a message.

<Koyro> (Democratic Koyro) NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
The Emerald Dawn wrote:"Considering Officer Krupke was patently idiotic to charge these young men in the first place, we're dropping the charges in the interest of not wasting any more of the Judiciary's time with farcical charges brought by officers who require more training on basic legal principles."

Baseball is Best Sport. Life long StL Fan.

Beta Test
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Beta Test » Mon May 27, 2013 12:40 am

I have an article to submit. It falls into the factual category

Limiting Legislation Act Gutted From Bill of Rights Omnibus
By Senator Rupert Weinthal

The Limiting Legislation Act (LLA) was abruptly removed from the National Bill of Rights Omnibus by Senate Administrators in the middle of voting due to confusion over a particular clause in the bill.
The clause, which implied the bill was unamendable, was the subject of very little discussion during the pre-vote debate. However, when the bill came to the vote, some Senators pointed out how the bill would be unable to amend. Even though the bill's author, Owen Tarniff said he changed the clause, there was confusion over which version of the bill was being voted on. Several Senators lined up to change their vote from a yay or abstain to a nay. When the vote was 11 for to 18 against, Senate Administrators announced the removal of the bill from the Omnibus. After this, The Chamber floor degraded into a discussion about
the admin's hats.
As the Chamber moved in to other business, Owen Tarniff asked what happened to the bill itself. The Administrators stated the bill without the clause had been moved back into the queue.
Last edited by Beta Test on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divair
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Mon May 27, 2013 9:03 am

Beta Test wrote:I have an article to submit. It falls into the factual category

Limiting Legislation Act Gutted From Bill of Rights Omnibus
By Senator Rupert Weinthal

The Limiting Legislation Act (LLA) was abruptly removed from the National Bill of Rights Omnibus by Senate Administrators in the middle of voting due to confusion over a particular clause in the bill.
The clause, which implied the bill was unamendable, was the subject of very little discussion during the pre-vote debate. However, when the bill came to the vote, some Senators pointed out how the bill would be unable to amend. Even though the bill's author, The Treorai, said he changed the clause, there was confusion over which version of the bill was being voted on. Several Senators lined up to change their vote from a yay or abstain to a nay. When the vote was 11 for to 18 against, Senate Administrators announced the removal of the bill from the Omnibus. After this, The Chamber floor degraded into a discussion about
the admin's hats.
As the Chamber moved in to other business, The Treorai asked what happened to the bill itself. The Administrators stated the bill without the clause had been moved back into the queue.

Administrators don't exist in the IC world.

Geadland
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Geadland » Mon May 27, 2013 10:36 am

Factual
Procedural error derails bill of rights
by Freda Nöördhaagen

The Senate has voted to pass three pieces of legislation related to civil liberties: a comprehensive ban on slavery, a bill to decriminalise and regulate prostitution and a provisional criminal code establishing basic criminal offences. However, the largest and most significant of the package of bills has been delayed due to mistakes made in the parliamentary procedure. A fifth bill - an alternative proposal to nationalise the sex industry rather than regulate it - was also voted down.

The Limiting Legislation Bill was an act to create a "bill of rights" for Aurentina, which would enshrine several key human rights in the Commonwealth legal system. These included the right to free speech, freedom of religion and the right to a fair trial. The Bill was sponsored by Senators Rupert Weinthal (Lib Dems), Owen Tarniff (CFE) and Hathimir von Hasburg-Taltos (NIFP) and received strong crossbench support and praise. However, while both the public and the Senate overwhelmingly supported the majority of the bill, several clauses became the subject of debate.

In particular, Article 7 was controversial as it established a "right to bear arms". Senator Desmond Mac Suibhne (Red-Greens) was one of the critics of this, arguing that "it inhibits the ability of a populace to decide for themselves whether to have guns restricted or not. It all but forces the law to leave guns unrestricted". The Bill was later amended to only allow this right to extend to certain types of arms after fears the article would cost the bill support. Further criticism came over one of the key provisions - Article 2, the "right to free speech". Several Senators questioned as to whether this would prevent people from being to sue for libel or be arrested for making threats. When the bill was amended to include a disclaimer to address these concerns, other Senators then accused them of watering it down.

The most damaging criticism came over a clause which appeared to state that the bill would not be amendable in the future (other than the list of the types of firearms covered by Article 7). A few Senators who had initially planned to support the legislation switched to opposing it as a result, including Senators Mark Rosenfeldt (Prog-Cons) and Adelaide Köhl (NIFP). Rosenfeldt said that there was a chance that some articles could be interpreted by the courts in the wrong way and therefore "While it should not possible to amend it at will, it should still be possible to amend once in a while if something goes wrong." Another point of debate was the final article, which gave a "right to property" but in the first draft effectively banned compulsory purchase of property and "threatening to make it virtually impossible to build Autobahns."

The Bill was temporarily withdrawn from the Senate floor after the Bill's supporters added their amendments to the bill and published conflicting versions of it, making it impossible to tell which one the Senate were voting on. As a result, the voting on the bill was suspended halfway through the division; during this time the bill appeared to have more votes in favour than against. Debate and voting on the Limiting Legislation Bill is expected to resume in a few days times.

Despite the setback, the Senate adjourned in good spirits after the Provisional Criminal Code passed with an overwhelming majority. Although not intended to be comprehensive, the PCC will properly define criminal offences such as murder and vandalism, thus allowing the Commonwealth to create a fully independent legal system.
Last edited by Geadland on Mon May 27, 2013 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kingdom of Geadland (Κογνερηικ Γαυδλȣνδ)
Wiki - Factbook - Map - Language - Esquarium Region - Embassy Program

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Mon May 27, 2013 9:34 pm

Last edited by Yanalia on Tue May 28, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

Britcan
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Britcan » Tue May 28, 2013 3:30 am

Events involved in the story, and thus the story itself, have been retconed.
Last edited by Britcan on Tue May 28, 2013 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

This nation should not be taken to be representative of my real-life views, nor should any of the nonsense I posted on here as a teenager.

Beta Test
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Beta Test » Tue May 28, 2013 3:35 am

Britcan wrote:FACTUAL
A POLITICAL PUNCH-UP?

By Michael Van Baum

After the tragic events of yesterday's bombing rumours have come out of a fight between senators in the aftermath of the bombing. These remained unconfirmed until Lucas Canton, a senator representing the municipality of Zalken and a member of the unofficial New Social Party, came out with this statement:
Senator Canton wrote:I am disgusted by the actions of certain senators today. While the nation was in morning these senators started fighting, discharging firearms and waving around a host of other weapons. While the actions of Senator Glasgia were certainly questionable he was, although possibly misguided, acting in a calm manner and trying to avoid fighting. The true perpetrators of this disgusting incident are Senators Hidaka, Lucius, Weinthal, De Pfeffel, Sass and Petya. They all willingly and actively participated in the brawl, fired weapons and, in two cases, waved a sword around and attacked other senators with a trout. Actions such as these are inexcusable, especially when the nation is in morning. I will support any proposal to impose hefty punishments on all of them for their ridiculous and disgraceful actions.

This appears to confirm that there was a brawl between senators although more evidence is needed for us to be able to ascertain what truly happened.

In the aftermath of Senator Canton giving this statement there have been suggestions that he may have been threatened and offered bribes in order to get him to retract his statements. This is as of yet unconfirmed but senator Canton has not made any indication that he will be altering his statement in any way. I am suspect that the whole nation will be waiting to see what happens next

Michael Van Baum is an independent reporter and a guest editor for The Spectator. Contact him at MVB@aurentinacommunications.net.

Image Share Image Tweet Image Comment

I believe you need to apply to join before posting articles.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue May 28, 2013 1:38 pm

Perspective
"We are the champions!" says Deputy Prime minister as bomb explodes in senate killing 18!
- By anonymous source

Today as this nation suffered its greatest tragedy due to gross failure by this government, some senators were very concerned as shown by the picture shown on the right. To deal with this great tragedy, senator Agritum, Orson, Kohl, Jenkins, among many others were seen taking the situation so seriously that they were getting high and messing around. One of the most prominent figures among this was Deputy Prime Minister Grenartia who casually claimed and I quote "We Are the Champions!", before taking another 'hit' of these mind altering substances. This information was revealed from a video obtained from an anonymous source who was disgusted by this gross misconduct of senators as well as senior government ministers. This video is also available in youtube at link: http://www.youtube.co.au/Senators_get_high.

We understand that among the drugs being smoked were crack and hash. No wonder with senators and ministers high on such drugs, we get these kinds of terrorist attacks happening in our nation. Deputy prime minister Grenartia even offered these drugs to senator Nepal claiming and once again I quote "I recommend you take a cue from me, and stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it". Senator Yanalia, member of red green party even forgot hat he was in senate to do senate business, perhaps because of overdose of hash or crack! This is frankly unacceptable and speaks volumes for incompetency of this government. When eighteen people die in terrorist attack, ministers proclaim themselves to be champions and offer drugs to other senators as well as injecting themselves with drugs. This is frankly unacceptable and embarrassing for our nation. This government must resign and we must all march today evening for candlelight march to show our embarrassment at this action and support for the victims.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Tue May 28, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agritum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Agritum » Tue May 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Perspective
"We are the champions!" says Deputy Prime minister as bomb explodes in senate killing 18!
- By anonymous source

Today as this nation suffered its greatest tragedy due to gross failure by this government, some senators were very concerned as shown by the picture shown on the right. To deal with this great tragedy, senator Agritum, Orson, Kohl, Jenkins, among many others were seen taking the situation so seriously that they were getting high and messing around. One of the most prominent figures among this was Deputy Prime Minister Grenartia who casually claimed and I quote "We Are the Champions!", before taking another 'hit' of these mind altering substances. This information was revealed from a video obtained from an anonymous source who was disgusted by this gross misconduct of senators as well as senior government ministers. This video is also available in youtube at link: http://www.youtube.co.au/Senators_get_high.

We understand that among the drugs being smoked were crack and hash. No wonder with senators and ministers high on such drugs, we get these kinds of terrorist attacks happening in our nation. Deputy prime minister Grenartia even offered these drugs to senator Nepal claiming and once again I quote "I recommend you take a cue from me, and stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it". Senator Yanalia, member of red green party even forgot hat he was in senate to do senate business, perhaps because of overdose of hash or crack! This is frankly unacceptable and speaks volumes for incompetency of this government. When eighteen people die in terrorist attack, ministers proclaim themselves to be champions and offer drugs to other senators as well as injecting themselves with drugs. This is frankly unacceptable and embarrassing for our nation. This government must resign and we must all march today evening for candlelight march to show our embarrassment at this action and support for the victims.

This is made of win.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives