NATION

PASSWORD

The Spectator|De Zuskouwe (Newspaper) [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue May 28, 2013 4:18 pm

Unicario wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:
Oh my god. How can we mot be able to detain murderers but still be able to sue because you dont like what someone else said?

Because people are trying to stop the government from doing it's job, such as Senator Nepal who has called for the resignation of the entire government, which would be setting us back several weeks.

On the contrary, I only called for resignation of minister of interiors, who allowed two explosions in senate. Some anonymous constituents are obviously more disgusted than me at this incompetency and are calling for resignation of the government.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Tue May 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Unicario wrote:
Because people are trying to stop the government from doing it's job, such as Senator Nepal who has called for the resignation of the entire government, which would be setting us back several weeks.

On the contrary, I only called for resignation of minister of interiors, who allowed two explosions in senate. Some anonymous constituents are obviously more disgusted than me at this incompetency and are calling for resignation of the government.

For the love of god, you respond to a crisis and then remove someone. We didnt remove the head of FEMA durring the katrina crisis when we needed to get things moving, we maybe removed him after so ad to not screw over the country

Besides, how can you claim incompetance when a national militsry and pllice force had been established days prior, and without a legal code to enforce? Policemforces dont just poof into existance, they need time

Im honestly surprised they didnt manage to set off bombs while we were
IN session, as there is almost no security due to legal restrictions/blanck spots

Note: do not respond to me here, take it to the lobby. We should stop spammig the paper
Last edited by Byzantium Imperial on Tue May 28, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

The Grumpy Cat wrote:Their very existence... makes me sick.
After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!
I support Thermonuclear Warfare. Do you?
Proud member of The Anti Democracy League
Senator Willem de Ruyter of the Civic Reform Party

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue May 28, 2013 4:31 pm

Othelos wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Certain members of the Auretine public certainly do, just as certain members of the American public take anything on Fox News seriously.

Who cares?

You're acting as if your reputation was destroyed or something.

It IS a form of character assassination, Senator.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue May 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Unicario wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
Given that the article includes my name AND position, and that its already published, I wish to go through with the suit. May I speak with your lawyer?

Of course, he's on Main Street in Mulenhaim, Senator. Your secretary will have a phone number on your desk.

Thank you, Senator.

Great Nepal wrote:
Grenartia wrote:
I have witnesses AND video footage placing you on the steps of the building, with a cameraphone. Its no stretch to claim you shot the footage, and sent an email linking to the video to whoever wrote the article along with a brief synopsis of what you wanted to be said.

You would need witnesses nor video footage to show I shot that video, I did. Main intention was to show the constituents about true nature of the senate however I lost my phone therefore, I could not send it anyone. Someone obviously have picked up my phone.

OOC: This article caused quite a row, awsome.

And how can we know that's actually what happened, instead of you dropping your phone, and having a hired "thief" come along and snatch it up, and deliver it to the journalist, with a message on the phone that details what you wanted written?
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue May 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Given that the article includes my name AND position, and that its already published, I wish to go through with the suit. May I speak with your lawyer?

Oh my god. How can we mot be able to detain murderers but still be able to sue because you dont like what someone else said?

I'm not the one who said we couldn't detain murderers. GN said that. And yet he was also the first to suggest sueing for libel. I agree with your point, though it should be directed at GN, not me.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue May 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:You would need witnesses nor video footage to show I shot that video, I did. Main intention was to show the constituents about true nature of the senate however I lost my phone therefore, I could not send it anyone. Someone obviously have picked up my phone.

OOC: This article caused quite a row, awsome.

And how can we know that's actually what happened, instead of you dropping your phone, and having a hired "thief" come along and snatch it up, and deliver it to the journalist, with a message on the phone that details what you wanted written?

Actually, since you are one making a claim and planning to make claim in the court, it is you would would need to prove I did not loose the phone and in fact hired someone to write the story. innocent until proven guilty is interesting concept senator, you should read up on it.

Grenartia wrote:

I'm not the one who said we couldn't detain murderers. GN said that. And yet he was also the first to suggest sueing for libel. I agree with your point, though it should be directed at GN, not me.

I mean when we can prosecute for Libel (ie, when we pass ammendment to PCC). Plus, we can have civil suit without police being involved therefore we can sue someone for Libel while we can not detain murderers.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Tue May 28, 2013 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Unicario wrote:

I do believe you said something to the effect of 'the entire administration should resign immediately' at your press conference earlier.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue May 28, 2013 4:40 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:On the contrary, I only called for resignation of minister of interiors, who allowed two explosions in senate. Some anonymous constituents are obviously more disgusted than me at this incompetency and are calling for resignation of the government.

I do believe you said something to the effect of 'the entire administration should resign immediately' at your press conference earlier.

No, I said the administration were incompetent and prime minister should personally apologise while calling for resignation of minister of interiors.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue May 28, 2013 4:42 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

1. Actually, since you are one making a claim and planning to make claim in the court, it is you would would need to prove I did not loose the phone and in fact hired someone to write the story. innocent until proven guilty is interesting concept senator, you should read up on it.

Grenartia wrote:

2. I mean when we can prosecute for Libel (ie, when we pass ammendment to PCC). Plus, we can have civil suit without police being involved therefore we can sue someone for Libel while we can not detain murderers.

1. I'm aware of innocent until proven guilty. I plan on subpoenaing your phone as evidence to back up my claim.

2. First one would be ex post facto, second one is highly unbelievable.

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Tue May 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Libel is already a crime under the PCC.

May I join this lawsuit?
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue May 28, 2013 4:44 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Grenartia wrote:

No, I said the administration were incompetent and prime minister should personally apologise while calling for resignation of minister of interiors.

OOC: Given that the text is written in a shitty color, you can't blame anybody for misreading it. It literally hurts my eyes trying to read that.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Tue May 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Yanalia wrote:Libel is already a crime under the PCC.

May I join this lawsuit?

Sure.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Tue May 28, 2013 4:46 pm

Grenartia wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:1. Actually, since you are one making a claim and planning to make claim in the court, it is you would would need to prove I did not loose the phone and in fact hired someone to write the story. innocent until proven guilty is interesting concept senator, you should read up on it.

2. I mean when we can prosecute for Libel (ie, when we pass ammendment to PCC). Plus, we can have civil suit without police being involved therefore we can sue someone for Libel while we can not detain murderers.

1. I'm aware of innocent until proven guilty. I plan on subpoenaing your phone as evidence to back up my claim.

2. First one would be ex post facto, second one is highly unbelievable.

1. Sure, I am fine with it. Obviously, I can not produce it since I lost the phone but if you can find it then I would be delighted to show it had just the video on it. OOC: Its not like reporter threw phone in the furnace or anything.
2. No, libel already exists as a crime, this only gives ability to enforce it. Therefore, no one is being punished for crime that wasn't crime when it was committed. As for second one, it would be perfectly believable. Civil suit is an option.

Phing Phong
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Phing Phong » Tue May 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Earlier this evening, as part of ongoing measures to ease the heavy procedural backlog of queued legislation, four bills in the field of security and defence were combined into a single omnibus bill. Although they will be debated and voted upon concurrently, successful passage of any one of the bills in question is not dependent on the successful passage of the other three. At this stage—namely, early in the relevant debates—it is difficult to determine Senate support for individual bills.

The first of the bills is the Firearms Act, drafted by Senator Lucas Canton of the New Social Party. In recognition of the current need for regulations on weapons possession, which have been poorly controlled since Aurentinsë independence, the Act bans several categories of weapon, such as explosives, toxic chemical or biological agents and heavy firearms, from public possession. It allows ownership of some weapons for individuals in possession of a police-issued firearms certificate, which can only be issued after stringent checks. Following on from this, the punishments for illegal weapons possession are outlined, and low-power weapons such as airguns are also legalised subject to conditions.

The second bill is the Ratification of the North Atlantic Treaty, drafted by Great Nepal of the Coalition for Freedom and Enterprise. This act provides for Aurentina's accession to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, and establishes a permanent representative to the Organisation, as well as releasing government finances to cover the costs of membership.

The third bill is the Internal Security Act, co-drafted by Senators Michael Blumenthal and Ivan Schiavone, both of the Progressive Conservative Party. The act formally establishes a national gendarmerie under government control, outlines its jurisdiction, and provides regulations for its uniforms and equipment. In light of the problems caused by private militaries, citizen militias and paramilitaries, this act disbands all such organisations not under government control. While providing for the integration of ex-militia into the gendarmerie, it classifies any who refuse to disband as terrorists, along with violent non-state antagonists. Recognising that private security forces such as security guards are necessary, the act provides for government regulation of relevant and similar occupations. Finally, the Act outlines the protocol by which a law-abiding non-gendarme would perform a citizen's arrest on an individual who is reasonably believed to be in the process of committing a criminal offence.

The final bill in the omnibus is the Commonwealth Armed Forces Act, of multiple sponsors. This act founds an independent military for Aurentina, divided into three branches: the Commonwealth Army, the Commonwealth Navy, and the Commonwealth Air Force; all branches are headed by individual chiefs of staff, presided over by a joint chief of staff and ultimately answerable to the Minister of Defence. Conscription is proscribed except in cases of national emergency, and the right of conscientious objectors and pacifists not to participate in combat is recognised. It also outlines the age limits for who may serve in the armed forces, and the length of service for enlisted personnel.

For reference, the version of the omnibus current at the time of publication can be found here.

Last edited by Phing Phong on Tue May 28, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Incompetent Buddhist, liberal centrist and militant queer

Embassy Program | NSwiki Pages | Factbook | Map | National Anthem | Constitution | Phing Phong Fine Rices | Culture Test
Member of the Stonewall Alliance, open to all LGBT-friendly nations!

Divair
Khan of Spam

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Divair » Wed May 29, 2013 6:40 am

Phing Phong wrote:(Image)

Earlier this evening, as part of ongoing measures to ease the heavy procedural backlog of queued legislation, four bills in the field of security and defence were combined into a single omnibus bill. Although they will be debated and voted upon concurrently, successful passage of any one of the bills in question is not dependent on the successful passage of the other three. At this stage—namely, early in the relevant debates—it is difficult to determine Senate support for individual bills.

The first of the bills is the Firearms Act, drafted by Senator Lucas Canton of the New Social Party. In recognition of the current need for regulations on weapons possession, which have been poorly controlled since Aurentinsë independence, the Act bans several categories of weapon, such as explosives, toxic chemical or biological agents and heavy firearms, from public possession. It allows ownership of some weapons for individuals in possession of a police-issued firearms certificate, which can only be issued after stringent checks. Following on from this, the punishments for illegal weapons possession are outlined, and low-power weapons such as airguns are also legalised subject to conditions.

The second bill is the Ratification of the North Atlantic Treaty, drafted by Great Nepal of the Coalition for Freedom and Enterprise. This act provides for Aurentina's accession to the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, and establishes a permanent representative to the Organisation, as well as releasing government finances to cover the costs of membership.

The third bill is the Internal Security Act, co-drafted by Senators Michael Blumenthal and Ivan Schiavone, both of the Progressive Conservative Party. The act formally establishes a national gendarmerie under government control, outlines its jurisdiction, and provides regulations for its uniforms and equipment. In light of the problems caused by private militaries, citizen militias and paramilitaries, this act disbands all such organisations not under government control. While providing for the integration of ex-militia into the gendarmerie, it classifies any who refuse to disband as terrorists, along with violent non-state antagonists. Recognising that private security forces such as security guards are necessary, the act provides for government regulation of relevant and similar occupations. Finally, the Act outlines the protocol by which a law-abiding non-gendarme would perform a citizen's arrest on an individual who is reasonably believed to be in the process of committing a criminal offence.

The final bill in the omnibus is the Commonwealth Armed Forces Act, of multiple sponsors. This act founds an independent military for Aurentina, divided into three branches: the Commonwealth Army, the Commonwealth Navy, and the Commonwealth Air Force; all branches are headed by individual chiefs of staff, presided over by a joint chief of staff and ultimately answerable to the Minister of Defence. Conscription is proscribed except in cases of national emergency, and the right of conscientious objectors and pacifists not to participate in combat is recognised. It also outlines the age limits for who may serve in the armed forces, and the length of service for enlisted personnel.

For reference, the version of the omnibus current at the time of publication can be found here.

(Image)

This.

This is good stuff.

Malfunction
Spokesperson

Founded: May 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Malfunction » Wed May 29, 2013 7:07 am

I vish to join.
Better serve in Heaven than rule in Hell. In reality you don't rule Hell at all anyway.

New Waterford
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Waterford » Wed May 29, 2013 2:30 pm

FACTUAL
NIFP Senator loses arm in helicopter crash, blames it on neo-Nazis

By Michael Kelly

Lucius Malleolus, a member of the National Imperialist-Freedom Party, has been critically injured in a helicopter crash, and claims that it was shot down by neo-Nazis.
The senator, who lost his right arm in the incident, said that he saw a 'bright flame' while he was being escorted to the Senate building. He then claimed that there were 'neo-Nazis with uniforms similar to those of the SS' firing rockets at the aircraft. However, there have been no other accounts of such an event taking place.
Senator Malleolus also described how he 'could not feel [his] right arm' once he regained consciousness following the helicopter's crash landing as a result of the attack, and how he removed a piece of debris to find his 'shattered arm which had several pieces of bone protruding out'.
Police are currently investigating Malleolus' allegations of neo-Nazi involvement. It is not clear whether this incident is linked to the terrorist attack on the Senate building yesterday.

Michael Kelly is a senator of the Progressive-Conservative Party and an editor for The Spectator. Contact him at michaelkelly@pcaurentina.org.
Image Share   Image Tweet   Image Comment
Last edited by New Waterford on Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.49
Now known IC'ly as An Déise.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Perspective
Government celebrates senate explosion by gifting itself three Airbuses and six other crafts!
- By anonymous source

As the nation mourns death of eighteen and injury of many more in the terrorist attack in senate, the government has found perfect way to relieve the situation... by gifting itself 1 Airbus A380-800, 2 Airbus A340-300 and 6 Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin. A source who is close to the cabinet, who can not be named for legal reason stated that one of ministers claimed that this was for the good of the people. Dont try to think about it too much, our team attempted to see how wasting $925.9 million on luxury of couple of high ranking ministers would help the common people but we haven't come up with a reasonable answer yet. If you do, please inform us.

If you were going to write to government ministers saying this to be waste of money, as this obviously is, dont bother. Vice President who authorised this payment knows it all, he commented and I again quote "wasteful spending for the win", at end of the report of purchase of these luxuries for himself and high ranking cabinet ministers. Of course however, buying 3 Airbuses and 6 Eurocopter was modest spending for nation whose people are breaking their backs in paying tax to this government so ministers are demanding more. Minister of Environment, went on to demand, yes he actually demanded world war 2, ground attack aircraft Ilyushin Il-2, perhaps because ability to attack factories in grounds in environmentally friendly, I am not sure if he took pollution caused by Ilyushin Il-2 when deciding its environmentally friendliness. Either way, factory owners, I suggest moving your factories underground before you will be bombed by minister of environment in his Ilyushin Il-2, for causing damage to the environment.

Deputy Prime minister claimed and once again I quote his words, "there's no reason we can't get a private craft for each Cabinet member". Of course there isn't a reason why we cant get private craft for each cabinet minister, we should however go even further and get a Bugatti Veyron Super Sports for every cabinet member and maybe even a spacecraft. Oh and we definitely need to give every cabinet member their own small country, slightly larger than France as their private resort. We all know money grows on trees after all!

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Wed May 29, 2013 3:01 pm

If you dont mind i would like to see some proof that funds were diverted or that any planes are on route.
New Pyrrhius wrote:Byzantium, eat a Snickers. You become an imperialistic psychopathic dictatorship when you're hungry.

After a short 600 year rest, the Empire is back, and is better then ever! After our grueling experience since 1453, no longer will our great empire be suppressed. The Ottomans may be gone, but the war continues!

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Byzantium Imperial wrote:If you dont mind i would like to see some proof that funds were diverted or that any planes are on route.

Of course, here.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Wed May 29, 2013 3:05 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Byzantium Imperial wrote:If you dont mind i would like to see some proof that funds were diverted or that any planes are on route.

Of course, here.

THIS IS A FUCKING OUTRAGE!!!!!
Shoot. Them. All.

Grenartia
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Great Nepal wrote:Perspective
Government celebrates senate explosion by gifting itself three Airbuses and six other crafts!
- By anonymous source

As the nation mourns death of eighteen and injury of many more in the terrorist attack in senate, the government has found perfect way to relieve the situation... by gifting itself 1 Airbus A380-800, 2 Airbus A340-300 and 6 Eurocopter AS365 Dauphin. A source who is close to the cabinet, who can not be named for legal reason stated that one of ministers claimed that this was for the good of the people. Dont try to think about it too much, our team attempted to see how wasting $925.9 million on luxury of couple of high ranking ministers would help the common people but we haven't come up with a reasonable answer yet. If you do, please inform us.

If you were going to write to government ministers saying this to be waste of money, as this obviously is, dont bother. Vice President who authorised this payment knows it all, he commented and I again quote "wasteful spending for the win", at end of the report of purchase of these luxuries for himself and high ranking cabinet ministers. Of course however, buying 3 Airbuses and 6 Eurocopter was modest spending for nation whose people are breaking their backs in paying tax to this government so ministers are demanding more. Minister of Environment, went on to demand, yes he actually demanded world war 2, ground attack aircraft Ilyushin Il-2, perhaps because ability to attack factories in grounds in environmentally friendly, I am not sure if he took pollution caused by Ilyushin Il-2 when deciding its environmentally friendliness. Either way, factory owners, I suggest moving your factories underground before you will be bombed by minister of environment in his Ilyushin Il-2, for causing damage to the environment.

Deputy Prime minister claimed and once again I quote his words, "there's no reason we can't get a private craft for each Cabinet member". Of course there isn't a reason why we cant get private craft for each cabinet minister, we should however go even further and get a Bugatti Veyron Super Sports for every cabinet member and maybe even a spacecraft. Oh and we definitely need to give every cabinet member their own small country, slightly larger than France as their private resort. We all know money grows on trees after all!

I object to the blatant disregard for the facts here. I DID point out that the planes ordered were too damn expensive. The simple fact is, the Cabinet, in light of recent events, DOES NEED its own separate private aircraft, for security reasons. Also, the writer of this article can't even be fucking bothered to get my gender right. But then again, if the writer of this article is the same as the author of the last one, I wouldn't be surprised that he/she/they doesn't let the facts get in the way of telling a lie story.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Wed May 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Grenartia wrote:I object to the blatant disregard for the facts here. I DID point out that the planes ordered were too damn expensive. The simple fact is, the Cabinet, in light of recent events, DOES NEED its own separate private aircraft, for security reasons. Also, the writer of this article can't even be fucking bothered to get my gender right. But then again, if the writer of this article is the same as the author of the last one, I wouldn't be surprised that he/she/they doesn't let the facts get in the way of telling a lie story.

Anonymous response
Oh, so you need separate private aircraft for security? What about rest of us mortals down here, are you giving us our own private Airbus each as well, or is lives of common citizen irrelevant to you and your government? I fail to see relevance of your gender, when common citizen are being robbed of their money so people like you can have their own private planes while rest of mortals here have to suffer threat of our house being next senate building!
Only report produced by us is factual, it is not about the story.

Byzantium Imperial
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Byzantium Imperial » Wed May 29, 2013 3:15 pm

You all can make do with small pasenger planes that cost far less. Why opt for the most expensive ones? Government waste at its finest! I demand this plane order be canceled immediately and you go through conventional means (ie the senate) for such a large and plainly unnecesary request

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Wed May 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Byzantium Imperial wrote:You all can make do with small pasenger planes that cost far less. Why opt for the most expensive ones? Government waste at its finest! I demand this plane order be canceled immediately and you go through conventional means (ie the senate) for such a large and plainly unnecesary request

I fully agree. Private planes, sure, for security, but we don't need luxury liners.
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives