NATION

PASSWORD

The NSG Glossary

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Krytenia wrote:Most. Troperiffic. Thread. Ever.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NationStates

Go ahead, you know you want to.
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

South Wienda
Secretary

Founded: Apr 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby South Wienda » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Needs an entry for Threadjacker.
Also, I called someone a Facist kookaburra-someone so outrageously right and authorative that they sound just like Hitler and Goering. They often repeat stuff ("Jesus was not a Jew!" "*evidence to the contrary*" "Jesus was not a Jew!!!!") to get their point across, because they know they are wrong and only have a couple pieces of evidence to prove everything.
I Took The Oath: UDL
Economic Left/Right: 4.38 ● Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.64
~North Wiedna~

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:12 pm

South Wienda wrote:Needs an entry for Threadjacker.
Also, I called someone a Facist kookaburra-someone so outrageously right and authorative that they sound just like Hitler and Goering. They often repeat stuff ("Jesus was not a Jew!" "*evidence to the contrary*" "Jesus was not a Jew!!!!") to get their point across, because they know they are wrong and only have a couple pieces of evidence to prove everything.

Alright, what would you say for threadjacker?
Last edited by NERVUN on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:21 pm

Threadjacker-The 95% of NSG that's able and willing to drag a thread about privatizing fire stations into a healthcare debate
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:23 pm

Neu California wrote:Threadjacker-The 95% of NSG that's able and willing to drag a thread about privatizing fire stations into a healthcare debate

I LOVE IT! Added.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:33 pm

NERVUN wrote:
Neu California wrote:Threadjacker-The 95% of NSG that's able and willing to drag a thread about privatizing fire stations into a healthcare debate

I LOVE IT! Added.

Seems I'm fitting quite a few categories.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:40 pm

Galloism wrote:
NERVUN wrote:

I LOVE IT! Added.

Seems I'm fitting quite a few categories.

The best jokes are those that cause us to see ourselves, however dimmly reflected, in their funhouse mirror.

I see myself in a number of them as well.

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:43 pm

A "You know you're bored when..." moment

Gun Nut/Gun Control Nut/Second Amendment Hater/etc.-Someone who disagrees with your well thought out ideas on gun control
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:46 pm

Neu California wrote:A "You know you're bored when..." moment

Gun Nut/Gun Control Nut/Second Amendment Hater/etc.-Someone who disagrees with your well thought out ideas on gun control

Needs balance

Albundania
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Albundania » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:51 pm

Czardas wrote:
Krytenia wrote:Most. Troperiffic. Thread. Ever.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NationStates

Go ahead, you know you want to.

heh
Soccer:
World Cup:
Qualified: 52-55
Ro16: 54
QF: 55
Finalists: 53

West Failure
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Failure » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:02 am

NERVUN wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
West Failure wrote:Excellent

Doesn't it need the term USian adding.

Agreed.

Also add the words 'wife' and 'husband'; since NS is not only one of the few game forums that have girls on outside of The Sims, it also has married couples :o. What's all that about? :geek:

Hmm... I'm not sure about USian because that's a hot topic and I'd rather not get something that is meant to be funny to start wandering in actual debate. If, however, you can write something that attacks BOTH sides of the debate, I'll consider it.

And what about wives and husbands?

USian a way of distinguishing the burger-munching invasion monkeys from the rest of the inhabitants of the Americas/a meaningless term invented by the commies purely to antagonise right-thinking patriots
Yootwopia wrote:
Folder Land wrote:But why do religious conservatives have more power in the States but not so much power in the UK that still has a state church?

Because our country is better than yours.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:23 am

NERVUN wrote:
Pythagosaurus wrote:I seem to recall Myrth having a cult. Does he have breasts?

Well, I DID say may be. :p I mean, LG's got a cult, but he's got tacos.

TACOS?!!! I love tacos!!!! Where's LG's Cult?

Maurepas wrote:thats why you get the bigger ePenistm, ;)

ePenistm may not protect against mod and/or admin action, these statements have not been evaluated by the NSG Food and Status administration

Where can I buy an ePenis? :rofl:

West Failure wrote:USian: a way of distinguishing the burger-munching invasion monkeys from the rest of the inhabitants of the Americas/a meaningless term invented by the commies purely to antagonise right-thinking patriots

:lol2:

You forgot Ebil Mozlem Theorem - A crime committed by individuals with belief X will not implicate all other members of that belief if X ≠ Islam. If X = Islam however, Ebil Mozlemz lulz comments are inevitable.

I wanna see one of these glossaries for F7!
Last edited by Milks Empire on Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:09 am

Aelosia wrote:
Neu California wrote:
Aelosia wrote:I'd add "Fake Aspie" and "Fake Dyslexic" to the list.

Not that I'm going to deny thathere are fake and self diagnosed Aspies (Though I'm not one of them) I have to ask: why?

Because there are too many to be all real?

So there is a national limit on Aspies? Or are you presuming that they are rare and thus any more are obviously liers?

You already mentioned fake Aspies in the last thread on the subject. :eyebrow:
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:14 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Aelosia wrote:
Neu California wrote:

Not that I'm going to deny thathere are fake and self diagnosed Aspies (Though I'm not one of them) I have to ask: why?

So there is a national limit on Aspies? Or are you presuming that they are rare?

Some posters have been known to use Asperger syndrome as a cover for saying outlandish things that cross the line into having been proscribed.

Aelosia
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelosia » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:19 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Aelosia wrote:
Neu California wrote:

So there is a national limit on Aspies? Or are you presuming that they are rare and thus any more are obviously liers?

You already mentioned fake Aspies in the last thread on the subject. :eyebrow:

Because it is an internet phenomena I am interested in. Of course I mention it on several occassions.

Of course there is a limit, demographic, on how many aspies per capita there is, usually. If you judge the western world by the internet, a disproportionate number appears, so either there are a lot of fake ones, or the internet is overpopulated with the 90 % of the aspies of the world being active in some kind of forums.
My ratings in the top 100:
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Largest Defense Forces
Aelosia is ranked 13th in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced
Aelosia is ranked 20th in the world for Most Cultured
Aelosia is ranked 24th in the world for Most Subsidized Industry
Aelosia is ranked 25th in the world for Fastest-Growing Economies
Aelosia is ranked 38th in the world for Largest Public Transport Department
Aelosia is ranked 42th in the world for Largest Publishing Industry
Aelosia is ranked 51th in the world for Largest Information Technology Sector
Aelosia is ranked 61th in the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector

Factbook so far.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:20 am

Milks Empire wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Aelosia wrote:
Neu California wrote:

So there is a national limit on Aspies? Or are you presuming that they are rare?

Some posters have been known to use Asperger syndrome as a cover for saying outlandish things that cross the line into having been proscribed.

Isn't that Tourettes? :eyebrow:
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Aelosia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelosia » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:22 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Aelosia wrote:
Neu California wrote:

Both. Tourettes and Asperger are commonly used a smokescreen for socially moronic, (and yet not endemic or clinic) posters. Many people will go out of temper and shout insults at you, and then blame Aspergers, when they aren't really Aspies at all.

Factbook so far.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:30 am

Aelosia wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Milks Empire wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
Aelosia wrote:
Neu California wrote:Not that I'm going to deny thathere are fake and self diagnosed Aspies (Though I'm not one of them) I have to ask: why?

Both. Tourettes and Asperger are commonly used a smokescreen for socially moronic, (and yet not endemic or clinic) posters. Many people will go out of temper and shout insults at you, and then blame Aspergers, when they aren't really Aspies at all.

Well that's just sad on their part. I'd give anyone a good bitch slap if they did that. Not only are they shifting responsibility of their own actions onto a condition, they're also self-perpetuating that excuse by spreading misinformation.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Aelosia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Aelosia » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:33 am

SD_Film Artists wrote:
Well that's just sad on their part. I'd give anyone a good bitch slap if they did that. Not only are they shifting responsibility of their own actions onto a condition, they're also self-perpetuating that excuse by spreading misinformation.

It is hard to detect, and you can end bitch slapping a true aspie. It happens.

Factbook so far.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:51 am

Aelosia wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:

It is hard to detect, and you can end bitch slapping a true aspie. It happens.

It's because I've never had to use my own Aspieness as an excuse for bad-tempered forum posts, and it does cause alot of frustration how those sort of people and certain American radio hosts give Aspergers a bad name.

Though having said that, it can be hard to say that another Aspie won't do something just because I don't do said thing and vice versa, considering how we're all different and being part of a spectrum.

And in a bid to not thread-jack...

NERVUN wrote:And what about wives and husbands?

Nouthing in particular. Just that, as I said in my post, from my experience there is an abnormally high ratio of married/long-term relationships on NationStates compared with other browser-games. The player demographic on here just has less teenagers, I guess.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:02 am, edited 9 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005

Daistallia 2104
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Daistallia 2104 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:29 am

NERVUN wrote:

Needs balance

Hows about something along the lines of:

Gun Nut: any poster who obviously believes that everyone ought to be armed to the teeth and be able to drive an M1A1 Abrams on the highways, as evidenced by mentioning that the 2nd amendment may have some merit.

Gun Grabber: any poster who obviously means to disarm the entire populace in preparation for an NWO's takeover, as evidenced by mentioning that some form of firearm regulation may have some merit.

And your definition of pun inspires me to invite you to visit my dentist - he's very good - he's from Hawaii.... :P MWAAAATooothToothhthooooooth!!!!!! (Sorry everyone = ya gotta understand a bit'o Japanese for thoses two...)
NSWiki|HP
Stupidity is like nuclear power; it can be used for good or evil, and you don't want to get any on you. - Scott Adams
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness. - Terry Pratchett
Sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions
How our economy really works.
Obama is a conservative, not a liberal, and certainly not a socialist.

Lord Tothe
Minister

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Tothe » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:55 am

Pics or it didn't happen: 1. A feeble attempt by a troll to dispute the core of your reasonable centrist argument. 2. A common request when a poster claims to be female, or have engaged in an actual relationship with a female, or seen a female. 3. A request directed at Lunatic Goofballs, even though we all know he has gigabytes of documentation for everything, especially if it involves mud.
The Empire of Pretantia wrote:[...] TLDR; welcome to the internet. Bicker or GTFO.
"Why is self-control, autonomy, such a threat to authority? Because the person who controls himself, who is his own master, has no need for an authority to be his master. This, then, renders authority unemployed. What is he to do if he cannot control others? To be sure, he could mind his own business. But that is a fatuous answer, for those who are satisfied to mind their own business do not aspire to become authorities." ~ Thomas Szasz

LOL ANARCHY NUBZ
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby LOL ANARCHY NUBZ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:46 am

I'm in way too many of these...

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:22 pm

West Failure wrote:
NERVUN wrote:
SD_Film Artists wrote:
West Failure wrote:Excellent

Doesn't it need the term USian adding.

Agreed.

Also add the words 'wife' and 'husband'; since NS is not only one of the few game forums that have girls on outside of The Sims, it also has married couples :o. What's all that about? :geek:

Hmm... I'm not sure about USian because that's a hot topic and I'd rather not get something that is meant to be funny to start wandering in actual debate. If, however, you can write something that attacks BOTH sides of the debate, I'll consider it.

And what about wives and husbands?

USian a way of distinguishing the burger-munching invasion monkeys from the rest of the inhabitants of the Americas/a meaningless term invented by the commies purely to antagonise right-thinking patriots

Hmm... Already covered under America/Americans

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:24 pm

Daistallia 2104 wrote:
NERVUN wrote:

Needs balance

Hows about something along the lines of:

Gun Nut: any poster who obviously believes that everyone ought to be armed to the teeth and be able to drive an M1A1 Abrams on the highways, as evidenced by mentioning that the 2nd amendment may have some merit.

Gun Grabber: any poster who obviously means to disarm the entire populace in preparation for an NWO's takeover, as evidenced by mentioning that some form of firearm regulation may have some merit.

I LIKE it. Added.

And your definition of pun inspires me to invite you to visit my dentist - he's very good - he's from Hawaii.... :P MWAAAATooothToothhthooooooth!!!!!! (Sorry everyone = ya gotta understand a bit'o Japanese for thoses two...)

Don't mention puns with Dai around I tell myself. You'll only end up in pain I tell myself. But do I listen? NO! :p

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives