NATION

PASSWORD

Writing Discussion

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:49 pm

Playing Rome: Total Realism, I've been inspired to write an ancient road novel.

The protagonist is an Iberian philosopher, an outcast in his own homeland, despite his long years of service as both diplomat and spy. When the Iberian people are threatened by a new world power, the Romans, after having been weakened by a long campaign to drive out Carthaginian colonists, "The Pretending Greek" is sent on an envoy mission with a caravan of goods as a gift of alliance with the Romans. Rumors of a war with Gaul loom in his mind.

Bitter with his homeland and shocked at the vicious and expansionistic Romans, the Iberian decides to flee to Greece to pursue his dream of being a famous poet. Before he can leave, he is assaulted by a drunken slave driver in the city of Ariminum. In the scuffle, the slave driver is killed, the Iberian is forced to take a band of slaves, and is forced to abandon a large portion of said slaves leaving the city.

The Iberian is now a fugitive of Roman law, along with the slaves he accidentally freed: an Illyrian huntress, a Macedonian fop, a Sarmatian princess, a Gaulic housewife, a Carthaginian mercenary, and a Thracian prostitute. "Hijinks ensue" as they make pilgrimage to the city of Athens, seeking refuge from a band of 800 Romans hunting them.

The plot is still a bit muddy; I can't think of any concrete conflict or friction to drive the story. While I'm concerned about historical accuracy, this isn't going to be an epic, and location and historical battles are the least of my worries at the moment.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:01 pm

The Rich Port wrote:Playing Rome: Total Realism, I've been inspired to write an ancient road novel.

The protagonist is an Iberian philosopher, an outcast in his own homeland, despite his long years of service as both diplomat and spy. When the Iberian people are threatened by a new world power, the Romans, after having been weakened by a long campaign to drive out Carthaginian colonists, "The Pretending Greek" is sent on an envoy mission with a caravan of goods as a gift of alliance with the Romans. Rumors of a war with Gaul loom in his mind.

Bitter with his homeland and shocked at the vicious and expansionistic Romans, the Iberian decides to flee to Greece to pursue his dream of being a famous poet. Before he can leave, he is assaulted by a drunken slave driver in the city of Ariminum. In the scuffle, the slave driver is killed, the Iberian is forced to take a band of slaves, and is forced to abandon a large portion of said slaves leaving the city.

The Iberian is now a fugitive of Roman law, along with the slaves he accidentally freed: an Illyrian huntress, a Macedonian fop, a Sarmatian princess, a Gaulic housewife, a Carthaginian mercenary, and a Thracian prostitute. "Hijinks ensue" as they make pilgrimage to the city of Athens, seeking refuge from a band of 800 Romans hunting them.

The plot is still a bit muddy; I can't think of any concrete conflict or friction to drive the story. While I'm concerned about historical accuracy, this isn't going to be an epic, and location and historical battles are the least of my worries at the moment.

Sounds a bit Robin Hood to me.

That's actually a good thing.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:01 pm

The Rich Port wrote:Playing Rome: Total Realism, I've been inspired to write an ancient road novel.

I'd read it.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:02 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:

I would have also accepted Scooby Doo and The Canterbury Tales.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:03 pm

Speaking of which, I've been tempted to start an epic. A lampshade-filled epic satirizing them, but you know, whatever.

I should probably read one first.

Goodbye.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:04 pm

The Rich Port wrote:

I would have also accepted Scooby Doo and The Canterbury Tales.

Now I will definitely read it.

Goodbye.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Speaking of which, I've been tempted to start an epic. A lampshade-filled epic satirizing them, but you know, whatever.

I'd recommend The Odyssey and that fanfiction Vergil wrote called The Aeneid.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:05 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:Speaking of which, I've been tempted to start an epic. A lampshade-filled epic satirizing them, but you know, whatever.

I started the Illiad. Bit dry.

Goodbye.

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:08 pm

You said that the Iberians had a campaign to fight Carthaginians. Perhaps you could have a conflict between the Carthaginian mercenary and the Iberian, because the mercenary was captured by Romans trying to deliver some military information to Carthage or something.
Part One of the Incredible, Invincible Team Dai-Zarkeland!

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:08 pm

Astrolinium wrote:

Just don't watch the movie of The Odyssey.
Seriously, if you see Armand Assante, just start running.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:09 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:

You said that the Iberians had a campaign to fight Carthaginians. Perhaps you could have a conflict between the Carthaginian mercenary and the Iberian, because the mercenary was captured by Romans trying to deliver some military information to Carthage or something.

And the Carthaginian is also a time traveling minotaur sent back to kill the Iberian before he fathers the Antichrist?

Astrolinium wrote:

Just don't watch the movie of The Odyssey.
Seriously, if you see Armand Assante, just start running.

I have the Illiad and Odyssey on my Kindle, which is... somewhere.

Goodbye.

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:You said that the Iberians had a campaign to fight Carthaginians. Perhaps you could have a conflict between the Carthaginian mercenary and the Iberian, because the mercenary was captured by Romans trying to deliver some military information to Carthage or something.

And the Carthaginian is also a time traveling minotaur sent back to kill the Iberian before he fathers the Antichrist?

No.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:15 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:

No.

Damn. You used to fun, man. But now you've changed.

Clearly you got a haircut or something.

Goodbye.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Be careful not to turn into Tolkien. DX

Nude East Ireland wrote:You said that the Iberians had a campaign to fight Carthaginians. Perhaps you could have a conflict between the Carthaginian mercenary and the Iberian, because the mercenary was captured by Romans trying to deliver some military information to Carthage or something.

The Iberians won, but the campaign has left their military in shambles. Really, ethnic squabbles are petty in the face of getting your head chopped off and getting your neck fucked by a bunch of rabid Italian plumbers, but tension between all of the characters is to be expected.

I know that I will include an ambush on the part of the protagonists on the Romans eventually, but it takes them almost a year to reach Athens, and that's not their final stop. Need to fill that in, dontchaknow.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Nude East Ireland
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Nude East Ireland » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Nude East Ireland wrote:No.

Damn. You used to fun, man. But now you've changed.

Clearly you got a haircut or something.

Just not in a fun mood right now.

Alexlantis
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Alexlantis » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm not really into Rome, but I'd still read it.
"What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world, but loses his soul?" -Jesus Christ

Nation does not necessarily reflect political views.
Economic Left/Right: -7.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00
INTP/INTJ
Writer, high school student, Democratic Socialist, vaguely agnostic Christian of some sort (maybe), Libertarian.

Foxtropica's NS cousin, Samuraikoku's Sancho Panza
Individuality-ness wrote:You are Alex, NSG's writer and lead procrastinator. *nods* :P

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Alexlantis wrote:I'm not really into Rome, but I'd still read it.

Seeing as how none of the main characters so far are Roman, I don't understand where you're coming from. :blink:

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Alexlantis
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alexlantis » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:43 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Alexlantis wrote:I'm not really into Rome, but I'd still read it.

Seeing as how none of the main characters so far are Roman, I don't understand where you're coming from. :blink:

Well, Rome, Greece, you get my point. I'm not really a fan of Greco-Roman stuff, is what I was trying to say.
"What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world, but loses his soul?" -Jesus Christ

INTP/INTJ
Writer, high school student, Democratic Socialist, vaguely agnostic Christian of some sort (maybe), Libertarian.

Individuality-ness wrote:You are Alex, NSG's writer and lead procrastinator. *nods* :P

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Alexlantis wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Well, Rome, Greece, you get my point. I'm not really a fan of Greco-Roman stuff, is what I was trying to say.

Funny nobody ever mentions or remembers the "Barbarians".

God knows how many lives the Romans turned ass up in their pursuit of... Whatever the hell the Romans wanted with becoming a world empire.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Alexlantis
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alexlantis » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:50 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Alexlantis wrote:Well, Rome, Greece, you get my point. I'm not really a fan of Greco-Roman stuff, is what I was trying to say.

God knows how many lives the Romans turned ass up in their pursuit of... Whatever the hell the Romans wanted with becoming a world empire.

The Scots and Germans really kicked some Roman ass. I like the "Barbarians" a lot better than I do the Romans.

INTP/INTJ

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Alexlantis wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

The Scots and Germans really kicked some Roman ass. I like the "Barbarians" a lot better than I do the Romans.

... There were Scots during the time of the Romans? :blink:

Do you know anything about the other peoples? I'm familiar with the semi-civilized Iberians, but all I know about the Thracians and Illyrians is that the former have cannibalistic horses and the latter stole Phalangite tactics from their Greek neighbours.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Alexlantis
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alexlantis » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:03 pm

The Rich Port wrote:
Alexlantis wrote:The Scots and Germans really kicked some Roman ass. I like the "Barbarians" a lot better than I do the Romans.

Do you know anything about the other peoples? I'm familiar with the semi-civilized Iberians, but all I know about the Thracians and Illyrians is that the former have cannibalistic horses and the latter stole Phalangite tactics from their Greek neighbours.

Nothing off the top of my head.

Yeah, there were. Rome got through England, but they couldn't conquer Scotland cuz it had too many hardassed barbarians so they said "fuck it" and just built a wall to keep the Scots from taking their cows.

INTP/INTJ

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Alexlantis wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:

Nothing off the top of my head.

Yeah, there were. Rome got through England, but they couldn't conquer Scotland cuz it had too many hardassed barbarians so they said "fuck it" and just built a wall to keep the Scots from taking their cows.

I thought those were the Celts, or the Britons, or the Saxons.

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:07 pm

The Rich Port wrote:Funny nobody ever mentions or remembers the "Barbarians".

Power.
The Rich Port wrote:I thought those were the Celts, or the Britons, or the Saxons.

Picts.
Alexlantis wrote:The Scots and Germans really kicked some Roman ass. I like the "Barbarians" a lot better than I do the Romans.

Bloody barbarian. >:(
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Postby The Rich Port » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
The Rich Port wrote:Funny nobody ever mentions or remembers the "Barbarians".

Power.
The Rich Port wrote:I thought those were the Celts, or the Britons, or the Saxons.

Picts.

Ptooey. I'm killing that Centurion. After the Thracian confronts her daddy issues with his sorry help, though.

Picts or it didn't happen. :lol:

The Alt-Right Playbook
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives