NATION

PASSWORD

Writing Discussion

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Bezombia wrote:
The New World Oceania wrote:
That's comparing a modernist work and a postmodern idea. Not particularly fair, if you ask me.

Nothing's fair when Finnegans Wake is involved.

Not yet, though all's fair in vanessy

Thank you, Google.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:36 pm

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:
Bezombia wrote:

Not yet, though all's fair in vanessy

Thank you, Google.

Noooooooooooo
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Bezombia wrote:
That's comparing a modernist work and a postmodern idea. Not particularly fair, if you ask me.

I read an excerpt of the first chapter.

James Joyce must been a wonder at parties.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Nerotysia
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:41 pm

The end, she approaches...

Also, I was gifted two Joyce works over Christmas. They are possibly the most overhyped and yet hated piece of literature I will ever read. I'm mostly just curious to see what the fuss is honestly.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:05 pm

Nerotysia wrote:The end, she approaches...

Also, I was gifted two Joyce works over Christmas. They are possibly the most overhyped and yet hated piece of literature I will ever read. I'm mostly just curious to see what the fuss is honestly.

I'll admit, Ulysses is overhyped in a few senses. But that's really just if you're trying to read it for leisure. In study, Joyce is a master of style, and some chapters are easily some of the best works in the English language from that perspective. When it comes to how we typically read and casually analyze writing, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is far better.

Chamber Music is for the most part awful. I'll just put it out there, I'm sorry, but it sucks.
Woman-made-woman.
Elizia
Dagmar
Calaverde
Dick Njil, Journalist
Baltonia
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:08 pm

I'll admit, Ulysses is overhyped in a few senses. But that's really just if you're trying to read it for leisure. In study, Joyce is a master of style, and some chapters are easily some of the best works in the English language from that perspective. When it comes to how we typically read and casually analyze writing, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man is far better.

Chamber Music is for the most part awful. I'll just put it out there, I'm sorry, but it sucks.

What makes a book good or bad. I've been wondering for a while now.
― Fred Rogers

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:13 pm

I don't mind reading for study, but I do think that a novel that doesn't provide at least some sense of pleasure has failed in a major way. I shall have to judge on my own I suppose.

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:14 pm

Zeinbrad wrote:

What makes a book good or bad. I've been wondering for a while now.

It must entertain. If it wants to, it can instruct. Thus is the purpose of novels. Also this is how they must be judged, their effectiveness at accomplishing these two tasks.

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:30 am

Nerotysia wrote:
Zeinbrad wrote:What makes a book good or bad. I've been wondering for a while now.

It must entertain. If it wants to, it can instruct. Thus is the purpose of novels. Also this is how they must be judged, their effectiveness at accomplishing these two tasks.

This sort of echoes the way Poe felt about poetry and its relation to instruction. Basically, he believes that a poem must be beautiful, but can also instruct as long as the instruction serves the beauty of the poem.

Edgar Alan Poe wrote:I would define, in brief, the Poetry of words as The Rhythmical Creation of Beauty. Its sole arbiter is Taste. With the Intellect or with the Conscience, it has only collateral relations. Unless incidentally, it has no concern whatever either with Duty or with Truth.

... It by no means follows, however, that ... the precepts of Duty, or even the lessons of Truth, may not be introduced into a poem and with advantage; for they may subserve, incidentally, in various ways, the general purposes of the work; but the true artist will always contrive to tone them down in proper subjection to that Beauty which is the atmosphere and the real essence of the poem.
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Why isn't "eler" a word?
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:05 pm

Bezombia wrote:Why isn't "eler" a word?

It is a word. It means "formulas" in Norwegian, at least according to Google Translate.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:03 pm

What should it mean?
piss

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:04 pm

Shaggai wrote:

What should it mean?

I don't know. It just seems like that combination of four letters should have some meaning in the English language.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:23 pm

I feel like I heard it before.
― Fred Rogers

Mizrad
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Mizrad » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:44 pm

Are tags allowed on this thread? Because tagging this would be very useful for me.
"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair" -George Patton
Proud Member of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!

Nosy little fucker aren't you?

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Mizrad wrote:Are tags allowed on this thread? Because tagging this would be very useful for me.

Yes they are, albeit for the next page.

Who's gonna up up the next one?
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

The New World Oceania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:08 pm

Vancon wrote:
Mizrad wrote:Are tags allowed on this thread? Because tagging this would be very useful for me.

Yes they are, albeit for the next page.

Who's gonna up up the next one?

CM, we think. However, because CM is known for falling into voids, NFP is presumably the next in line to the throne.
Woman-made-woman.
Elizia
Dagmar
Calaverde
Dick Njil, Journalist
Baltonia
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:11 pm

I feel like this thread should end with a paradelle.
piss

The New World Oceania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:55 pm

Shaggai wrote:I feel like this thread should end with a paradelle.

Or a whimper.
Woman-made-woman.
Elizia
Dagmar
Calaverde
Dick Njil, Journalist
Baltonia
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Vozt Yurkova wrote:
Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards wrote: The Warboy uniforms are black trenchcoats, and they bear white skulls on a red field as arm patches, very deliberately evoking imagery of Nazi uniforms of WWII. This is done to challenge the readers perception of evil: No matter how much you dress up freedom and liberty as backwards, barbaric, and outdated, the ideals themselves are still admirable.

I think if you include nazi-esque imagery then people will assume you're trying to draw a parallel between the nazi's and the Evil Bastards, when really the nazi style of government was much more akin to the Good Guys'. It could work against you because people will see a thinly-veiled nazi reference and immediately draw conclusions about who is good and who is bad based on popular use of nazi tropes, and won't read into everything else that makes the Empire seems appealing. I get that you want them to seem evil on the surface but using nazism as a shortcut for evil brings with it all the associated baggage which is going to make your message more difficult to deliver.

I understand. Every movement has it's extremists, and we certainly aren't helped by the fact that some guys in the movement to reduce government make us look bad by spouting white-supremacy. However, I also believe that if somebody draws such an immediate conclusion, then there's not much hope of helping them anyways. The people who don't bother to take a second glance won't be bothered with logic in the first place. Like the folks who paint all republicans as religious nuts or who paint all democrats as secular humanists, there's not much point in arguing with them because they refuse to believe that the opposing side can even make logical arguments.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:20 pm

Well I just had an idea that I like. Just need to figure out how to make it more palatable.

It's basically a 40 something old soldier who lost his wife and child to a late-term abortion and thus fights like he wishes to die to 'rejoin' them. His units massacres a village of people and he see's a child there and go AWOl to save said child.

Thoughts?
― Fred Rogers

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Shaggai wrote:I feel like this thread should end with a paradelle.

Or a whimper.

...But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm saving my latest paradelle for the beginning of the new thread.
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:31 pm

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:
The New World Oceania wrote:Or a whimper.

...But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm saving my latest paradelle for the beginning of the new thread.

Fine. The thread's ending around now anyway.
piss

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:29 pm

The candles flicker, whimpering, as if they know what's about to happen...the moon hangs forlorn in the sky, a slim crescent, darkness muffling the limited light. The walls are robed in muted red, the floor in royal blue. Banners blazoned with fountain pens bracket the lone window, upon the sill of which a raven stands, cawing, seeming almost to make human sounds...

The old man is dying. He is sheathed beneath his thick covers, his nose dripping with cold phlegm. Across his skin is scrawled thousands upon thousands of words; poetry, prose, critique, questions, idle chatter, inane chatter, and even more inane chatter, but most of all, inane chatter. He coughs, once, his body jerking like a marionette. His robe is Egyptian silk, purchased with pilfered money, the sleeves sewn with elegant monograms. He coughs once more, his lips cracked and bleeding.

Outside of his tower, an army stands. It is a vast army, it stretches to the horizon and beyond, and within it are thousands of soldiers of all types. There are nazis, zombies, oceanians, conseratives, liberal republicans, weird generic aliens, gingers, and wacky communists. They are all singing and dancing and drinking and yelling at each other. An Irish name floats upon the wind, the subject of many-an-argument, and still none of them stop wasting their time talking to each other. It is an odd and vaguely repulsive sight.

Presently a woman emerges from the tower. She holds a baby in her arms. She says,

"The Thread is dead. All hail the Thread!"

The hordes set upon the baby, their pens out and dripping with ink.

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Lord Byron wrote:He’s gone, his soul hath ta’en its earthless flight;
Whither? I dread to think; but he is gone.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives