NATION

PASSWORD

Writing Discussion

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Bari
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 27, 2012
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Bari » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:56 pm

Shaggai wrote:
Bari wrote:Is this thread only for fiction? Or is non-fiction also okay?

Anything.

I see. Thank you.
Que Dieu bénisse la Bari
Pour la plus grande gloire de Dieu

Vozt Yurkova
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vozt Yurkova » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:48 pm

Schiltzberg wrote:I've had this idea for the last few days, but I'm not sure where to start. I want to write a story about a sort of zombie apocalypse, where a greater race is overtaken by people of their own race that have become infected and are a less intelligent race. While most zombie apocalypse stories portray humanity as the greater race that is overtaken, my idea is there is a race of god-like beings that becomes infected, and the infected turn into humans like ourselves. It would be a kind of alternate creation story.

It's certainly an interesting concept. The outstanding issue is; how do you, as a mere human, convincingly portray a race of beings that is beyond human? What motives and desires would an intelligent species that exists outside of the human condition have?
'z' before a vowel = zh
'z' before a consonant = sh

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Vozt Yurkova wrote:
Schiltzberg wrote:I've had this idea for the last few days, but I'm not sure where to start. I want to write a story about a sort of zombie apocalypse, where a greater race is overtaken by people of their own race that have become infected and are a less intelligent race. While most zombie apocalypse stories portray humanity as the greater race that is overtaken, my idea is there is a race of god-like beings that becomes infected, and the infected turn into humans like ourselves. It would be a kind of alternate creation story.

It's certainly an interesting concept. The outstanding issue is; how do you, as a mere human, convincingly portray a race of beings that is beyond human? What motives and desires would an intelligent species that exists outside of the human condition have?

And, furthermore, how does the audience relate to these inhuman characters? Ultimately, they must have at least human emotions.
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Shaggai
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 27, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shaggai » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:58 pm

Vozt Yurkova wrote:

It's Vinge's Law. You can't truly predict something more intelligent than yourself, or else you could just follow those predictions and be just as intelligent.
piss

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Shaggai wrote:
Vozt Yurkova wrote:

It's Vinge's Law. You can't truly predict something more intelligent than yourself, or else you could just follow those predictions and be just as intelligent.

That's one thing that always annoys me in works of fiction where some character is supposed to be a super-genius. The people writing the stories are rarely intelligent enough to make them convincing, or sometimes they just make the character do dumb things to get the plot to work.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:06 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Shaggai wrote:It's Vinge's Law. You can't truly predict something more intelligent than yourself, or else you could just follow those predictions and be just as intelligent.

That's one thing that always annoys me in works of fiction where some character is supposed to be a super-genius. The people writing the stories are rarely intelligent enough to make them convincing, or sometimes they just make the character do dumb things to get the plot to work.

I'm thinking of writing a story where there's a noob/idiot to something and a genius/expert has to explain everything to him.

I don't have anymore details other then that so far. :p
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Respubliko de Libereco
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Respubliko de Libereco » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:28 pm

Nazi Flower Power wrote:
Shaggai wrote:It's Vinge's Law. You can't truly predict something more intelligent than yourself, or else you could just follow those predictions and be just as intelligent.

That's what really bugged my about Lucy. Well, that and the nonsensical plot.
Last edited by Respubliko de Libereco on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nerotysia
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:58 am

Respubliko de Libereco wrote:
Nazi Flower Power wrote:

That's what really bugged my about Lucy. Well, that and the nonsensical plot.

Really? Because Lucy was widely regarded as a modern masterpiece. This is the first bad thing I've heard about it.

Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:06 am

Currently writing a really dark and sad political satire. I would post more, but it contains the word "Political" and I'm not entirely sure if there is truly neutral ground here on this forum. Is there any assurance that what I post won't simply get flamed from all sides?

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:38 am

Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards wrote:Currently writing a really dark and sad political satire. I would post more, but it contains the word "Political" and I'm not entirely sure if there is truly neutral ground here on this forum. Is there any assurance that what I post won't simply get flamed from all sides?

Just last week we had someone talking about a potential story that involved and Iraqi war vet committing suicide after the Boston Bombings.

I think whatever you have will be fine.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Please, call me Benomia. Post count +14623, founded Oct. 23, 2012.
Sauritican wrote:We've all been spending too much time with Ben
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.
Spreewerke wrote:Salt the women, rape the earth.
Equestican wrote:Ben is love, Ben is life.
Sediczja wrote:real eyes realize real lies
I'm a poet. Come read my poems!

The New World Oceania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:06 am

Nerotysia wrote:
Respubliko de Libereco wrote:That's what really bugged my about Lucy. Well, that and the nonsensical plot.

Really? Because Lucy was widely regarded as a modern masterpiece. This is the first bad thing I've heard about it.

Surely this is sarcasm.
Woman-made-woman.
Elizia
Dagmar
Calaverde
Dick Njil, Journalist
Baltonia
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:21 am

The New World Oceania wrote:
Nerotysia wrote:Really? Because Lucy was widely regarded as a modern masterpiece. This is the first bad thing I've heard about it.

Surely this is sarcasm.

I hope it's sarcasm.
Our weary eyes still stray to the horizon...but down this road we've been so many times...
Verdum wrote:Hey girl, is your name Karl Marx? Because your starting an uprising in my lower classes.
Black Hand wrote:New plan is to just make thousands of disposable firearms and dump them out of cargo planes with tiny drag chutes attached.
Spreewerke wrote:The metric system is the only measurement system that truly meters.

Nerotysia
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:44 am

Nerotysia wrote:Really? Because Lucy was widely regarded as a modern masterpiece. This is the first bad thing I've heard about it.

Surely this is sarcasm.

No. Lucy was genius. I mean, it asks such deep questions. Such as: can Scarlett Johansson use more than 10% of her brain? Also, which teenagers have the filmmakers hired to write their script for them?

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:12 am

Nazi Flower Power wrote:

Or they just make the other characters look like idiots when they are around. At least, that's what they do with Hackers...or anything related to the internet/video games.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:52 am

Bezombia wrote:
Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards wrote:Currently writing a really dark and sad political satire. I would post more, but it contains the word "Political" and I'm not entirely sure if there is truly neutral ground here on this forum. Is there any assurance that what I post won't simply get flamed from all sides?

Just last week we had someone talking about a potential story that involved and Iraqi war vet committing suicide after the Boston Bombings.

I think whatever you have will be fine.

Well then, in that case: here we go. It's a political satire that involves at least three nations named for ultimate comedic effect, all of which are here on NS (Feel free to look them up and their factbooks). The United Nation of Good Guys and Heroes, The Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards, and The Golden Goblin Horde. The UNGGH and the DDEEB are both the remnants of a single nation called Noblebright, which eventually was driven to civil war by gratuitous amounts of legal red tape and staggering debt.

U.N.H.G.G.H's noblebright cities of peace and wonder:

So first you have the United Nation of Good Guys and Heroes. And everything in their nation is bright and pristine and lovely and whatnot. When somebody looks the UNGGH, I want them to get an image of a futuristic utopia. The family home is a structure of solid white stone with strange asymmetry, but beautiful nonetheless. The skyscrapers are rounded things with bright blue windows, with gentle curves pleasing to the eye, and on every floor there are balconies overflowing with lush green plants and bright flowers. The “streets” are magnetically operated rails, with futuristic magnetic trains whizzing from one destination to the next.

Everything in the U.N.H.G.G.H world is precise and orderly. Every man has a house and a family, and every morning they go to their jobs via lev-train. They all offload from the train in single-file line, walk into a factory, they all line up next to the conveyer belt, and they all stop, and turn towards the conveyer belt, and they all begin working.

The laughable contradiction is while everything is bright and nice and beautiful, you look closer and everything seems to be a little too perfect. To the point where it becomes eery. That's because everything done in the U.N.G.G.H. Is regulated by the government. From what time you wake up, what you choose to wear, what you eat for breakfast, what time you hop on the lev-train. The U.N.G.G.H manages every aspect of a citizen's life.

All this is to challenge the reader to think: No matter how much government control is dressed up and stylized as “progress” and “advancement” it is still, at it's core, tyranny.

The D.D.E.E.B.'s Grimmdark world of eternal strife:

In contrast to U.N.H.G.G.H's perfect futuristic world, the denizens of D.D.E.E.B. Are set in chaotic bustling slums of a diesel-punk atmosphere. Buildings are ugly structures of brick or cement, with tin shanty's propped against every wall. Kiosks are set in the open street. Vendors openly market drugs and guns. Strip clubs and bars advertise their wares with bright neon lights. The edges of the city are lined with concertina wire and tank barriers, where faded signs warn of landmines just outside the city limits.

But as with the UNGGH, the DDEEB has it's insidious contradiction. Yes, some people are addicted to harmful substances. No, the homes aren't as pretty or as streamlined as the UNGGH, but you notice that nobody is starving. What's more, everybody seems to be doing exactly what they wish to be doing. The zombies go to their churches, the robots donate their money, the aliens are preforming medical procedures with both goodwill and zeal. And as hazardous and “unsafe” as the DDEEB seems, people aren't getting hurt nearly as much as one would expect in a world of chaos.

The Warboy uniforms are black trenchcoats, and they bear white skulls on a red field as arm patches, very deliberately evoking imagery of Nazi uniforms of WWII. This is done to challenge the readers perception of evil: No matter how much you dress up freedom and liberty as backwards, barbaric, and outdated, the ideals themselves are still admirable. No amount of demonization or bad press can change the fact that freedom is freedom, and that it is what we should strive for, even if freedom has an ugly side to it.

Vozt Yurkova
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vozt Yurkova » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:07 am

Dastardly Dark Empire of Evil Bastards wrote: The Warboy uniforms are black trenchcoats, and they bear white skulls on a red field as arm patches, very deliberately evoking imagery of Nazi uniforms of WWII. This is done to challenge the readers perception of evil: No matter how much you dress up freedom and liberty as backwards, barbaric, and outdated, the ideals themselves are still admirable.

I think if you include nazi-esque imagery then people will assume you're trying to draw a parallel between the nazi's and the Evil Bastards, when really the nazi style of government was much more akin to the Good Guys'. It could work against you because people will see a thinly-veiled nazi reference and immediately draw conclusions about who is good and who is bad based on popular use of nazi tropes, and won't read into everything else that makes the Empire seems appealing. I get that you want them to seem evil on the surface but using nazism as a shortcut for evil brings with it all the associated baggage which is going to make your message more difficult to deliver.
Last edited by Vozt Yurkova on Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
'z' before a vowel = zh
'z' before a consonant = sh

Quensatango
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Quensatango » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:26 am

So here's a question, when you write or type do you plan ahead or simply think as you go?
Personally I tend to just go and let the story run it's course, wherever that may be.

Zeinbrad
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeinbrad » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:29 am

Quensatango wrote:So here's a question, when you write or type do you plan ahead or simply think as you go?
Personally I tend to just go and let the story run it's course, wherever that may be.

A little bit of both.
Last edited by Zeinbrad on Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“There are three ways to ultimate success:
The first way is to be kind.
The second way is to be kind.
The third way is to be kind.”
― Fred Rogers
Currently looking for an artist for a Star Wars fan comic I want to make.

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:33 am

Quensatango wrote:So here's a question, when you write or type do you plan ahead or simply think as you go?

Depends on the story. When I write my poetry I just sort of let it flow out, but when I'm writing something a little longer I usually have it planned.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:53 pm

I usually know in broad terms where my story is going to go, though that often changes along the course of writing it. I tend to not write in order, so some amount of foreknowledge is necessary.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:19 pm

I usually have a very vague idea of where to go ('At some point something needs to happen that makes the character(s)_______'), but then oftentimes end up veering off into tangents that may or may not replace the original vague idea entirely.

It makes more work for me when I edit because I have to move around entire scenes because they don't flow well where I wrote them, or I have to end up taking them out entirely (I have a ridiculously long word document full of nothing but 'deleted scenes' that...maybe...will one day get put back in or get their stories finished), but I've never been able to write to a concrete objective all that well. All my characters are too much like me, they get distracted by shiny objects.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:21 pm

I have two different story ideas kicking around my head for stories about epidemics. I obviously have a sick mind.

One is called "After the Epidemic" or "Quarantine" and it's about a virologist who was in quarantine because she accidentally got infected with some exotic disease she was studying, but then there was a sudden outbreak of something completely unrelated that wiped out upwards of 99% of the human population. So now she can't go anywhere without protective gear, even though she has long-since recovered from her original illness. She is trying to research a vaccine for the disease that killed off most of the outside world, but being stuck in quarantine and having very few people to help with the research is really slowing things down. And meanwhile, she has fallen in love with one of the few people that survived on the outside, but they can't have any physical contact because of the quarantine.

The other one is told from the point of view of an alien who works for the Ministry of Health in her country. Physically, her people are more like mantis shrimp than humans, but mentally, they are smart enough to have their own civilization of sorts. There is an outbreak of a disease that her people are very vulnerable to, sort of their equivalent of the Black Death. They are trying to contain the outbreak, but doctors who go to treat the sick often get infected themselves, and they are having a hard time. Meanwhile, the Federation of New England has various mining operations in her country, and there is an embassy/consulate to manage relations between the miners and the local populace. So she goes to the embassy -- even though she doesn't speak English and isn't comfortable with humans at all -- and she recruits the New Englanders to handle the outbreak. Because they are so biologically different, they can care for the sick without catching the disease themselves. I came up with this sort of to point out the stupidity of sci-fi stories where some virus from an alien planet turns out to be the deadliest disease ever. Some viruses are more host-specific than others, but the odds of one from another planet being able to infect humans are pretty small. Amino acids come in different forms (L and R), so half of all life in the universe probably uses the opposite amino acids from ours, and even alien life using L-amino acids could still have dramatic differences from terrestrial life at a very basic chemical level. Viruses have to have similar biochemistry to their hosts or they won't be able to find the building blocks they need to reproduce.

Conserative Morality wrote:

I usually know in broad terms where my story is going to go, though that often changes along the course of writing it. I tend to not write in order, so some amount of foreknowledge is necessary.

I almost always do write in order, but you still need to have an idea of where the story is going. Sometimes it can change direction pretty dramatically during the course of writing, but you still need to have a possible destination in mind when you start.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:21 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:

I usually have a very vague idea of where to go ('At some point something needs to happen that makes the character(s)_______'), but then oftentimes end up veering off into tangents that may or may not replace the original vague idea entirely.

It makes more work for me when I edit because I have to move around entire scenes because they don't flow well where I wrote them, or I have to end up taking them out entirely (I have a ridiculously long word document full of nothing but 'deleted scenes' that...maybe...will one day get put back in or get their stories finished), but I've never been able to write to a concrete objective all that well. All my characters are too much like me, they get distracted by shiny objects.

The obvious solution is to take all your deleted scenes and combine them into a single novel.

Don't even change the names of the characters or preface the sections with explanations or anything. Just copy and paste the scenes into one big book. It'll still make more sense than Finnegans Wake.

The New World Oceania
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Bezombia wrote:
Occupied Deutschland wrote:I usually have a very vague idea of where to go ('At some point something needs to happen that makes the character(s)_______'), but then oftentimes end up veering off into tangents that may or may not replace the original vague idea entirely.

The obvious solution is to take all your deleted scenes and combine them into a single novel.

Don't even change the names of the characters or preface the sections with explanations or anything. Just copy and paste the scenes into one big book. It'll still make more sense than Finnegans Wake.

That's comparing a modernist work and a postmodern idea. Not particularly fair, if you ask me.
Woman-made-woman.
Elizia
Dagmar
Calaverde
Dick Njil, Journalist
Baltonia
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Bezombia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Bezombia » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:09 pm

Bezombia wrote:

That's comparing a modernist work and a postmodern idea. Not particularly fair, if you ask me.

Nothing's fair when Finnegans Wake is involved.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives