NATION

PASSWORD

Advice Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Terran Union
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Terran Union » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Basic industry meaning a small number of advanced rapid manufacturing systems capable of being easily switched between tasks. Mostly orbital based, with hardened auxilery military infrastructure groundside.
By small fleet I mean a 7 kilometer main flagship; a handfull of battleships, battlecarriers ( combo carrier/ battleship, multirole), and a couple super carriers ( holding 100-350 fightercraft); 10 various battecruisers, 50 various cruisers, and fifty remote controlled frigates. The titan class vessel while extermely powerfull, is used for planetary defence, or as a fleet command vessel as needed.
basic planetary defences mean a Planetary sheild capable of handling multiexaton blasts before failing, thirty anti-ftl satelites, a minefeild of muiligigaton nuclear warheads, and two powerfull starbases in orbit.
Ground defences would consist of surface to space missile batteries, ground troops, anti-air railgun batteries, antispace plamsa cannon batteries, city defence sheilds capable of handling gigaton blasts, and an armed populace.
More space defenses would be under construction as time goes by.
Last edited by New Terran Union on Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mini Miehm
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Mini Miehm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:25 pm

New Terran Union wrote:Basic industry meaning a small number of advanced rapid manufacturing systems capable of being easily switched between tasks. Mostly orbital based, with hardened auxilery military infrastructure groundside.
By small fleet I mean a 7 kilometer main flagship; a handfull of battleships, battlecarriers ( combo carrier/ battleship, multirole), and a couple super carriers ( holding 100-350 fightercraft); 10 various battecruisers, 50 various cruisers, and fifty remote controlled frigates. The titan class vessel while extermely powerfull, is used for planetary defence, or as a fleet command vessel as needed.
basic planetary defences mean a Planetary sheild capable of handling multiexaton blasts before failing, thirty anti-ftl satelites, a minefeild of muiligigaton nuclear warheads, and two powerfull starbases in orbit.
Ground defences would consist of surface to space missile batteries, ground troops, anti-air railgun batteries, antispace plamsa cannon batteries, city defence sheilds capable of handling gigaton blasts, and an armed populace.

Sounds fine to me. Flagship is smaller than battlecruisers in one of my puppets.
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Don't reward the trolls.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:27 pm

Was thinking. Could you use a Gauss or Railgun to fire a beam of plasma?
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

New Terran Union
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Terran Union » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:39 pm

Theretically yes, you would have to generate the plasma, and then use a coilgun, or rail gun as the means to propel it forward.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:41 pm

New Terran Union wrote:Theretically yes, you would have to generate the plasma, and then use a coilgun, or rail gun as the means to propel it forward.

Burning hell of plasma, Hypersonic speed of a Magnetic spinal cannon
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:43 pm

A railgun will certainly work. Some designs deliberately use a plasma armature (the bar that fits between the rails and is made to slide down them), albeit the usual intention is for that to push a solid projectile.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:44 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:A railgun will certainly work. Some designs deliberately use a plasma armature (the bar that fits between the rails and is made to slide down them), albeit the usual intention is for that to push a solid projectile.

Please explain. Cause that sounds pretty cool
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

New Terran Union
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Terran Union » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:53 pm

Is multiteraton antimatter missiles in the 950 teraton range, and fired in ten thousand missile salvos, ussualy several hundred salvos in a matter of minutes, accompanied by fighters weilding multigigaton directed nuclear weapons, wormhole generators, singularity generators, and sectional sheilding capable of withstanding 5 exatons of energy considered weak, or overpowered for a single titan class vessel? Especcially since the other rapid fire weapons are in the muiltiterraton range, and the forward weapons are potentially in the exaton range, while the defenses are designed to take out millions of missiles at a time?

Escalan Corps-Star Island
Senator

Founded: May 07, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Escalan Corps-Star Island » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:58 pm

Mini Miehm wrote:
New Terran Union wrote:Basic industry meaning a small number of advanced rapid manufacturing systems capable of being easily switched between tasks. Mostly orbital based, with hardened auxilery military infrastructure groundside.

Sounds fine to me. Flagship is smaller than battlecruisers in one of my puppets.

Same here. Which puppet do you speak of?

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:03 pm

Well wiki mentions it briefly in its railgun article. In a railgun current travels up one rail, through a freely-moving crossbar called the armature, and down the other rail. The magnetic fields produced by the current push the armature along at great speed. In practical designs the projectile sits in front of the armature and the whole thing is in a barrel.

Usually the armature's a piece of metal, but all it has to be is conductive. If you instead introduce a blob of plasma between the rails at one end, it will carry the current and thus be pushed along in exactly the same fashion.

New Terran Union, I'd say that's a very high energy scale, although I don't set too much store by absolute figures. My own battleship main guns are on the order of 100 teraton yield (the same as the Chicxulub impact that extincted the dinosaurs), and they are huge structures. Also, have you worked out how big a 950 teraton yield AM missile ought to be? My own "Big Dipper" missile is comparable in size to a Saturn V rocket and yields a few teratons.

New Terran Union
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Terran Union » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:11 pm

The idea behind the missile is that it uses a "digital storage" device to conatin the physical warhead as information, which can be stored much more densely, then it beams the warhead into place right before it explodes, It also prevents the trouble of conatianing antimmatter over long periods of time. The actual delivery device would be about half the size of a modernday cruise missile. Onboard the ship, the delivery devices themselves would also be digitally stored, with the digitally stored warhead being transmitted to the delivery device right before launch.

Steel Confessors
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Confessors » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:13 pm

You know, I was thinking about using FTL munitions for giant Magna Cannon style weapons aboard ships. However, as I debated about it I figured that it might be a bit too god-moddy and/or expensive as hell.

However, I think I might go with it merely because it makes sense for my people. They are all about effeciency so, a system firing a giant cannon shell with a rudimentary FTL engine and timer on it and relying merely on the kinetic mass and energy of it to do damage sounds like it might fight. I mean, if you want effeciency, what's more effecient than firing a salvo of shells the size of of a speedboat made of heavy metal. Sure it sounds expensive as well, but you'd just need one salvo to cripple a ship or even destroy it.

Your guys' take? I mean, it doesn't matter if I have the biggest gun of them all if no one wants to play.
Factbook in progress

Military lSociety l History l Steel Confessor Tenet Booklet

"Steel, is by its very nature is the most secure and protective material that mankind has produced. It can be bent into shapes, made into wire, forged into plate and weapons. It is versatile as flesh but stronger. It is humanity's next evolution and thus a facet of the divine" -Steel Confessor Tenet I

An avowed believer in Mankind's own divinity. This does not mean I believe in a god. Just us.

Fuck it, might as well do one of these. I am a pansexual male, Egalitarian, Progressive Fascist, Humanist, and a Major in the United States Army.

Fearing the Future only leaves us with stone tools.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Postby SquareDisc City » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:20 pm

Well, I use FTL interdiction, so I don't care about people using FTL weaponry too much.

But if you want to balance it, perhaps say that the cheap FTL drives used are somewhat imprecise about when they return to realspace. The shell can't hit at FTL, so it has to drop out short of the target and make that final run at sublight speeds, otherwise it might outright overshoot and be wasted.

Steel Confessors
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Confessors » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:Well, I use FTL interdiction, so I don't care about people using FTL weaponry too much.

But if you want to balance it, perhaps say that the cheap FTL drives used are somewhat imprecise about when they return to realspace. The shell can't hit at FTL, so it has to drop out short of the target and make that final run at sublight speeds, otherwise it might outright overshoot and be wasted.

Ah, that would certainly put a wrench in the works.

The original idea was something like that. The shell would activate an FTL drive to accelerate just a little bit past light (somewhere like 1.00004) and just not really worry about slowing down. The shell itself would just be covered in a bubble of techbabble (Intersteller and theoretical physics really isn't my thing. I'm a biology and military history major.) and just smack into the enemy.

However, now I've revised it to where the cannon itself sort of projects a shaft of FTL-stuff. Then the shell travels along that conduit accelerating a little bit past light and into the target.
Factbook in progress

"Steel, is by its very nature is the most secure and protective material that mankind has produced. It can be bent into shapes, made into wire, forged into plate and weapons. It is versatile as flesh but stronger. It is humanity's next evolution and thus a facet of the divine" -Steel Confessor Tenet I

An avowed believer in Mankind's own divinity. This does not mean I believe in a god. Just us.

Fuck it, might as well do one of these. I am a pansexual male, Egalitarian, Progressive Fascist, Humanist, and a Major in the United States Army.

Mini Miehm
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mini Miehm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm

New Terran Union wrote:Theretically yes, you would have to generate the plasma, and then use a coilgun, or rail gun as the means to propel it forward.

If you plan to use it in space....don't. If you plan to use it on the ground...still don't. Plasma is a terrible projectile that only really works if you can capture it all the way to the target. And the technology to do that lets you do SOOO much more frightening things, like directed beams of antimatter, or similar gratuitous terror.

Don't reward the trolls.

New Terran Union
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Terran Union » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Are wormholes being used to bring in reinforcement within 1/4 of galexies diameter, as well as an offensive weapon by putting the exit near the enmies forces, and the entry near a black hole, and as a defensive measue by putting the entry in front of enemy fire, and the exit somewhere else? of course doing so would mean stoping the firing of all weapons but the missile tubes while generating the wormhole, as generating one would mean moving all available power from the hydrogen fusion reactors, antimmater fuel cells, and subspace capacitors. This would not include sheilds, or point defenses, but would include the anti-ftl defense feild.

On another note would a second layer sheild capable of absorbing around ten percent of the incoming energy and rerouting it to other areas be an ok option?
Last edited by New Terran Union on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mini Miehm
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Mini Miehm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:34 pm

New Terran Union wrote:Are wormholes being used to bring in reinforcement within 1/4 of galexies diameter, as well as an offensive weapon by putting the exit near the enmies forces, and the entry near a black hole, and as a defensive measue by putting the entry in front of enemy fire, and the exit somewhere else? of course doing so would mean stoping the firing of all weapons but the missile tubes while generating the wormhole, as generating one would mean moving all available power from the hydrogen fusion reactors, antimmater fuel cells, and subspace capacitors.

That makes no sense. Use your words and try again.

Don't reward the trolls.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:35 pm

SquareDisc City wrote:Well, I use FTL interdiction, so I don't care about people using FTL weaponry too much.

I should note that universal FTLi is not something the community tends to like, for reasons that should be fairly obvious.
Last edited by Avenio on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:37 pm

Mini Miehm wrote:

If you plan to use it in space....don't. If you plan to use it on the ground...still don't. Plasma is a terrible projectile that only really works if you can capture it all the way to the target. And the technology to do that lets you do SOOO much more frightening things, like directed beams of antimatter, or similar gratuitous terror.

Shape? No. As a condensed beam similar to a Long (Or in fighter's case) Short ranged plasma cutter
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador

Yes, I Am infact Biop.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:39 pm

Avenio wrote:

I should note that universal FTLi is not something the community tends to like, for reasons that should be fairly obvious.

Nor, should I note, are FTL weapons.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:43 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Nor, should I note, are FTL weapons.

For the most part. Exceptions for the sake of a plot and whatnot apply.
Last edited by Avenio on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Terran Union
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby New Terran Union » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:43 pm

I meant the following:
Would using a wormhole generator to generate wormhole with the "entrance" infront of an enemy ship, and the "exit" in front of a black hole; there by having the blackhole suck the enemy in, be an okay tool?

Would using a wormhole generator to allow quick transit of a reserve fleet ontoo the battlefield as reinforcements be okay?

Would using a wormhole as a defensive tool by creating a tunnel in space, "wormhole", to interdict enemy fire and move it away from the vessel by having the exit of the wormhole facing away from the vessl, be okey?

The downside of using the wormhole generator would mean not using anythign else but essential systems, missile tubes, point defenses, and sheilds, as it would ve a huge powerhog. The other things things mentioned are the vessels powersources.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Avenio wrote:
G-Tech Corporation wrote:Nor, should I note, are FTL weapons.

For the most part. Exceptions for the sake of a plot and whatnot apply.

Anything can happen with appropriate OOC communications and exceptions for plot. Heck, in Setulan's current RP I'm walking around talking to a god. And so are half of the other RPers.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Steel Confessors
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Confessors » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:47 pm

Yes Im Biop wrote:
Mini Miehm wrote:

Shape? No. As a condensed beam similar to a Long (Or in fighter's case) Short ranged plasma cutter

You need to figure out how you're going to keep it cohesive. In atmosphere (And even partially true in space, although we'll get to why plasma loses cohesiveness.) there's a lot of molecules that are all bouncing around and thus collide with the particles that make up you're little plasma beam. So, this causes lack of cohesion as those particles are bounced about, losing their group focus as well as losing some energy from those collisions.

In space, there's a lot less particles out there, but there's alot around still. So, this means that there's less collisions so, you'll maintain more cohesion right? Not so much. Plasma is ionized so, it's a polar gas (As far as I understand. If I suddenly make physics my bitch, I apologize and will find the nearest physicist to apologize to.) so from ionized solar winds it'll mess it all up. Also, the distances in which you're fighting at are immense and so, its natural to find it to naturally dissipate. So, in order to maintain an effective beam you'd have to engage in knife fighting range, where enemies will say "No" and snipe you with their grasers or laser cannons...
Factbook in progress

Steel Confessors
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Steel Confessors » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:48 pm

G-Tech Corporation wrote:
Avenio wrote:

Nor, should I note, are FTL weapons.

Duly noted. I guess I'll stick with giant magna-cannons on railguns because they're just too darn cool.
Factbook in progress

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives