NATION

PASSWORD

Dress codes

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Dress codes

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:07 am

Cabra West wrote:
Minnas wrote:Yesterday afternoon I went to visit a museum with my mother and I was denied entrance because I was wearing a short skirt. It's Summer! The guide told me that they were now enforcing a dress code and that I wasn't dressed properly, which made me feel like a whore, and that if I wanted to visit the museum I had to ''cover up''.

My mother was angry and asked to see the manager, who upon coming, told her pretty much the same thing the guide did, and my cheeks were burning. We ended up going back home. I was incredibly pissed!

Do you think NSG that enforcing dress codes in attractions like museums, is fair to the tourists?

That's a very odd thing to do for a museum... where was that?
Usually, to them dress code means anything you can normally walk around the streets in is fine. Why would they want to put a dress code in place?

Apparently what you wear classifies you (utter bollocks to me, tbh) and one needs to dress according to the place one is going to visit.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Pure Metal
Envoy

Founded: Apr 07, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pure Metal » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:09 am

short skirt? pics or it didn't happen ;)
+19,376ish posts
Economic Left/Right: -9.13 :: Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82
Moral Order: -5 :: Moral Rules: +6.5
www.hljphotography.co.uk :: www.planetrock.com

Linker Niederrhein
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 11, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linker Niederrhein » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:10 am

To make a call, it'd help to see you in said skirt.

Askafia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Askafia » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:12 am

Woah. That's just... messed up. Mid thigh isn't that short, I have lots of skirts that length that I like to wear in the summer. Did the museum staff tell you the exact terms of the dress code? Because if they didn't, that's not fair.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:12 am

Mid thigh? It's not even that short. Is there an entrance fee to this museum? I though San Diego was supposed to be laid back.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:12 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Cabra West wrote:
That's a very odd thing to do for a museum... where was that?
Usually, to them dress code means anything you can normally walk around the streets in is fine. Why would they want to put a dress code in place?

Apparently what you wear classifies you (utter bollocks to me, tbh) and one needs to dress according to the place one is going to visit.

That's ridiculous.
It's a museum, what does the length of the skirt matter as long is she's wearing one that doesn't show her knickers?
In a skirt like that, she would even have got into a Catholic church in Italy, and they're the only museums I've ever known to have some sort of dress code (essentially, it's no hot pants, no tank tops, and no naked upped body for men).
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:14 am

Pure Metal wrote:short skirt? pics or it didn't happen ;)

Linker Niederrhein wrote:To make a call, it'd help to see you in said skirt.

Here you go.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:15 am

Cabra West wrote:That's ridiculous.

Agreed.

It's a museum, what does the length of the skirt matter as long is she's wearing one that doesn't show her knickers?

I'm not sure, tbh. But some museums are doing it and it's causing discomfort. Trust me, I hate to have to tell a tourist that comes from halfway accross the globe that because she wears a short skirt, I can't let her into the tour. It's what we call "vergüenza ajena". I totally hate it.

In a skirt like that, she would even have got into a Catholic church in Italy, and they're the only museums I've ever known to have some sort of dress code (essentially, it's no hot pants, no tank tops, and no naked upped body for men).

Minnas, how short was the skirt?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:16 am

Galloism wrote:

Here you go.

Oh, you so sexy.

*vomits*
Slava Ukraini

Tiesabre
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tiesabre » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:16 am

Sounds pretty idiotic to me. I'd understand if you were half-naked, but jeez, some people are such prudes.
Psycho Baby: I find atheists who disparage others for believing are not any better than theists who try to shove it down others' throats.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.26
Miss. Vivian Smith, Foreign Affairs-in-Chief and WA Ambassador

Linker Niederrhein
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Linker Niederrhein » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:17 am

Galloism wrote:Here you go.
Not bad, but I prefer tartans.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:18 am

Tiesabre wrote:Sounds pretty idiotic to me. I'd understand if you were half-naked, but jeez, some people are such prudes.

It can be. And the public remarks on it.
Slava Ukraini

Linker Niederrhein
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Linker Niederrhein » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:18 am

Tiesabre wrote:Sounds pretty idiotic to me. I'd understand if you were half-naked, but jeez, some people are such prudes.
It's a museum of art. Nudity is par for the course.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:18 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Here you go.

Oh, you so sexy.

*vomits*

Honestly, you should know better than to click any link in this forum that I supply.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:19 am

Galloism wrote:Honestly, you should know better than to click any link in this forum that I supply.

Yeah... I should know better. But it's impossible not to clickitey click click! ;)
Slava Ukraini

Pacifisia
Attaché

Founded: Jul 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pacifisia » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:19 am

This is wierd.

It just makes me glad to live in the UK. I just can't imagine that happening here. Mind you, I haven't been to a museum for a while, so it might be happening right now...
"The truth is incontrovertible. Panic may resent it, ignorance may deride it, malice may distort it, but there it is."

"The maxim ‘Nothing avails but perfection’ may be spelt shorter: ‘Paralysis.’"

Winston Churchill

Ostronopolis
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ostronopolis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:19 am

It's their business and property, they have, and should have that right. Not saying it is right to do or anything, but it's their private property.
Most Noble Republican Union of Ostronopolis
“Mortici Touaente Antimia”
Ostronopolian Trading Company || Congburgers || Communique Guide || Factbook ||
Member of: || The Conglomerate || Sovereign Network
Observer of: || COMINTERN || IFA ||

Quotes:
<Amit:> Ostro
<Amit> Through your sheer force of character
<Amit> You could get a nation to work for you

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am

Ostronopolis wrote:It's their business and property, they have, and should have that right. Not saying it is right to do or anything, but it's their private property.

Agreed, but it makes it no less discomforting to have to tell someone that the sole reason they can't come into the museum is because of the way they're dressed.
Slava Ukraini

Linker Niederrhein
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Linker Niederrhein » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am

Pacifisia wrote:This is wierd.

It just makes me glad to live in the UK. I just can't imagine that happening here.
Of course not. How could museums refuse entry to girls in their proper, thighs-on-display school uniform?
Last edited by Linker Niederrhein on Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:21 am

Linker Niederrhein wrote:
Pacifisia wrote:This is wierd.

It just makes me glad to live in the UK. I just can't imagine that happening here.
Of course not. How could museums refuse entry to girls in their proper, thighs-on-display school uniform?

Mmm...

School uniforms.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:22 am

Ostronopolis wrote:It's their business and property, they have, and should have that right. Not saying it is right to do or anything, but it's their private property.

which would be true if it werent owned by the city.
whatever

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:23 am

When did a public museum become private property?
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:23 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Agreed, but it makes it no less discomforting to have to tell someone that the sole reason they can't come into the museum is because of the way they're dressed.

what are the guidelines there?
whatever

Ostronopolis
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Ostronopolis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:23 am

Ashmoria wrote:

Well, it's still city property, and it's their right to make the decisions on dress codes etc.
Most Noble Republican Union of Ostronopolis
“Mortici Touaente Antimia”
Ostronopolian Trading Company || Congburgers || Communique Guide || Factbook ||
Member of: || The Conglomerate || Sovereign Network
Observer of: || COMINTERN || IFA ||

Quotes:
<Amit:> Ostro
<Amit> Through your sheer force of character
<Amit> You could get a nation to work for you

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:24 am

Ostronopolis wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Well, it's still city property, and it's their right to make the decisions on dress codes etc.

not over the objections of the public. thats why minnas should make a fuss to try to stop this stupid policy.
whatever

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General