NATION

PASSWORD

National Conceal & Carry

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: National Conceal & Carry

Postby Saint Clair Island » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:46 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
Saint Clair Island wrote:I have to ask, though, if you're carrying a concealed firearm and somebody accosts you with a gun, what makes you think they'll let you un-conceal it? You start reaching for your gun and they'll shoot you, no?

It's concealed. Which means they assume you don't have it. And if someone pulls a gun on me, they'd better use it quickly, rather than running off at the mouth. My gun isn't a guarantee of anything except a chance to do more than you could just pulling your dick out in that situation.

If you were mugging someone and they reached for something, wouldn't your first assumption be that it's a gun? Or at very least a knife, club, sword, morningstar, flail, halberd, claymore, spear, land mine, nuclear bomb, spring-loaded crossbow, or dirk? Maybe I'm just overthinking this because I tend to be a paranoid bastard.
Signatures are for losers.

Ostronopolis
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ostronopolis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:47 pm

I think this infringes on state's rights, while I would be inclined to support it, the states lose rights everyday, so I'm unsure. However, I agree with all except tier 3.
Most Noble Republican Union of Ostronopolis
“Mortici Touaente Antimia”
Ostronopolian Trading Company || Congburgers || Communique Guide || Factbook ||
Member of: || The Conglomerate || Sovereign Network
Observer of: || COMINTERN || IFA ||

Quotes:
<Amit:> Ostro
<Amit> Through your sheer force of character
<Amit> You could get a nation to work for you

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:48 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:If you were mugging someone and they reached for something, wouldn't your first assumption be that it's a gun? Or at very least a knife, club, sword, morningstar, flail, halberd, claymore, spear, land mine, nuclear bomb, spring-loaded crossbow, or dirk? Maybe I'm just overthinking this because I tend to be a paranoid bastard.

You wait until they've done their thing, hopefully you're still alive. Then you shoot them in the back, and take your shit home.
Holder of unpopular opinions.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:49 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:If they say, "Give me your wallet", you have to reach for SOMETHING. Assuming your firearm is concealed at your back (and if you've practiced drawing your firearm), they might not realize that's not your wallet until your firearm is leveled at them.

Aye, but that's taking a chance. What if they've seen at least one or two movies where somebody did that and thus tell you to put your hands in the air, then search you themselves? You could lose not only your wallet but your gun too -- and get thrown in jail for violating mandatory concealed carry laws to boot.

How can they thoroughly search you with one hand, while holding a firearm on you with the other? There's a reason police officers work in groups, or handcuff people, THEN search them.

And nobody is talking about mandatory concealed carry except you.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Ravea
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:50 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
Saint Clair Island wrote:I have to ask, though, if you're carrying a concealed firearm and somebody accosts you with a gun, what makes you think they'll let you un-conceal it? You start reaching for your gun and they'll shoot you, no?

It's concealed. Which means they assume you don't have it. And if someone pulls a gun on me, they'd better use it quickly, rather than running off at the mouth. My gun isn't a guarantee of anything except a chance to do more than you could just pulling your dick out in that situation.

If you were mugging someone and they reached for something, wouldn't your first assumption be that it's a gun? Or at very least a knife, club, sword, morningstar, flail, halberd, claymore, spear, land mine, nuclear bomb, spring-loaded crossbow, or dirk? Maybe I'm just overthinking this because I tend to be a paranoid bastard.

You forgot electric eels.

*Nods*
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:50 pm

The standards seem to require knowing how to properly use a concealed weapon, how not to use a concealed weapon, and (as the discussion after the OP suggested) that mental competence is required.

This is fairly unprecedented out of someone considered very left-wing, but I approve. 8)

Othyl wrote:I'd love to see someone try to hijack a plane only to be met with every other passenger standing up and drawing on them.

Now that would be something else.
Hijacker: *draws knife* "All right, nobody move!"
*2/3 of all passengers draw concealed pistols*
Hijacker: "Oh fuck..."

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
Saint Clair Island wrote:If you were mugging someone and they reached for something, wouldn't your first assumption be that it's a gun? Or at very least a knife, club, sword, morningstar, flail, halberd, claymore, spear, land mine, nuclear bomb, spring-loaded crossbow, or dirk? Maybe I'm just overthinking this because I tend to be a paranoid bastard.

You wait until they've done their thing, hopefully you're still alive. Then you shoot them in the back, and take your shit home.

Seems like you're trusting random criminals an awful lot in that respect (i.e. assuming they won't take your gun with the rest of your stuff, assuming they won't tie your hands or superglue you to something or otherwise prevent you from getting retribution, assuming they won't just shoot you once you hand over your stuff to keep you from talking, assuming they're not just crazy meth heads who will do something completely illogical etc.) -- but meh.

If I ever feel any need to get a firearm, I'm still checking whether open carry is legal in my home state, so that any such potential criminals will take a hint from afar and stay away. Problem solved.

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:53 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:If they say, "Give me your wallet", you have to reach for SOMETHING. Assuming your firearm is concealed at your back (and if you've practiced drawing your firearm), they might not realize that's not your wallet until your firearm is leveled at them.

Aye, but that's taking a chance. What if they've seen at least one or two movies where somebody did that and thus tell you to put your hands in the air, then search you themselves? You could lose not only your wallet but your gun too -- and get thrown in jail for violating mandatory concealed carry laws to boot.

How can they thoroughly search you with one hand, while holding a firearm on you with the other? There's a reason police officers work in groups, or handcuff people, THEN search them.

And nobody is talking about mandatory concealed carry except you.

I'm being at least partly sarcastic.

<.<

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:54 pm

Ostronopolis wrote:I think this infringes on state's rights, while I would be inclined to support it, the states lose rights everyday, so I'm unsure. However, I agree with all except tier 3.

An argument could possibly be made that a national concealed carry permit could affect interstate commerce, which is something the Federal government can make laws about.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Ostronopolis wrote:I think this infringes on state's rights, while I would be inclined to support it, the states lose rights everyday, so I'm unsure. However, I agree with all except tier 3.

An argument could possibly be made that a national concealed carry permit could affect interstate commerce, which is something the Federal government can make laws about.

They've stretched the argument a lot thinner than that in the past. I can see it.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Galloisms Computer
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Galloisms Computer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:49 pm

I do not understand this human tendency to want to carry guns everywhere they go. Don't they trust other people and more important machines for their safety? It's not like we would ever deliberately harm the humans for no reason. We're here to help, really!

CanuckHeaven
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby CanuckHeaven » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:58 pm

Greater access to firearms and less restrictions = more crime and deaths. >:(

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:59 pm

CanuckHeaven wrote:Greater access to firearms and less restrictions = more crime and deaths. >:(

[citation needed]
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007

Postby United Dependencies » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:59 pm

CanuckHeaven wrote:Greater access to firearms and less restrictions = more crime and deaths. >:(

source?

Edit:damn beatin again. >:(
Last edited by United Dependencies on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:59 pm

I think that can be balanced out with a more uniform national policy.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:06 pm

Galloisms Computer wrote:I do not understand this human tendency to want to carry guns everywhere they go. Don't they trust other people and more important machines for their safety? It's not like we would ever deliberately harm the humans for no reason. We're here to help, really!

I view guns as a tool. A dangerous tool that takes lots of responsibility to use without hurting someone else, but still a tool. Guns are also the sort of tool that you will never need 99% of the time. However, for the one percent you do need a gun, you really need a gun.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

CanuckHeaven
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby CanuckHeaven » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 pm

Galloism wrote:

[citation needed]

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/flcrime.htm

State Year Population Index Violent Property Murder Forcible Rape Robbery Aggravated assault Burglary Larceny- Theft Vehicle Theft
Florida 2007 4 6 6 6 13 20 4 7 6 8 12
Florida 2006 4 7 5 11 16 18 6 6 10 12 13
Florida 2005 4 10 4 16 24 18 7 4 12 14 13

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm

State Year Population Index Violent Property Murder Forcible Rape Robbery Aggravated assault Burglary Larceny- Theft Vehicle Theft
New York 2007 3 48 25 48 29 50 11 25 49 48 46
New York 2006 3 47 23 48 27 50 9 25 48 48 44
New York 2005 3 46 22 48 29 49 5 25 48 47 45

I wish that the forums supported proper tables.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:25 pm

CanuckHeaven wrote:
Galloism wrote:

[citation needed]

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/flcrime.htm

Florida 2007 4 6 6 6 13 20 4 7 6 8 12
Florida 2006 4 7 5 11 16 18 6 6 10 12 13
Florida 2005 4 10 4 16 24 18 7 4 12 14 13

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/nycrime.htm

New York 2007 3 48 25 48 29 50 11 25 49 48 46
New York 2006 3 47 23 48 27 50 9 25 48 48 44
New York 2005 3 46 22 48 29 49 5 25 48 47 45

I wish that the forums supported proper tables.

That would be nice.

Florida seems to have a higher crime rate than New York State. What's the point?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:36 pm

Rolling squid wrote:
Galloisms Computer wrote:I do not understand this human tendency to want to carry guns everywhere they go. Don't they trust other people and more important machines for their safety? It's not like we would ever deliberately harm the humans for no reason. We're here to help, really!

I view guns as a tool. A dangerous tool that takes lots of responsibility to use without hurting someone else, but still a tool. Guns are also the sort of tool that you will never need 99% of the time. However, for the one percent you do need a gun, you really need a gun.

Or a pair of electric eels strung together with chains.

All glory to the eelflail.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

CanuckHeaven
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby CanuckHeaven » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:42 pm

Galloism wrote:Florida seems to have a higher crime rate than New York State. What's the point?

Seems to have? New York has more restrictive gun laws than Florida.

Since the "Castle Doctrine" was passed in Florida, violent crime rates have risen from 708.9 to 722.6:

Murder went from 5 per 100,000 to 6.6 (883 to 1201), which is a 36% increase.

Robbery from 169.6 to 209.1, which is a 23% increase.

Burglary and property crimes also increased.

Naturality
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Naturality » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:56 pm

Tier 1: Basically your standard shall-issue conceal and carry law. It allows you to conceal and carry in normal businesses and areas that conceal and carry licenses normally permit you to take them. It doesn't allow carriage into federal buildings, courts, etc.

Most 'normal businesses' post that you are not allowed to 'legally carry' into their business.

I have a question ..

Where do the people that have the conceal carry, carry exactly? Besides their automobile.
Last edited by Naturality on Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:01 pm

CanuckHeaven wrote:
Galloism wrote:Florida seems to have a higher crime rate than New York State. What's the point?

Seems to have? New York has more restrictive gun laws than Florida.

Since the "Castle Doctrine" was passed in Florida, violent crime rates have risen from 708.9 to 722.6:

Murder went from 5 per 100,000 to 6.6 (883 to 1201), which is a 36% increase.

Robbery from 169.6 to 209.1, which is a 23% increase.

Burglary and property crimes also increased.

So the Castle Doctrine you feel is the cause of the problem, not conceal and carry (which is what this thread is about)?

I just ask, because Florida's "shall-issue" conceal and carry licensing system caused a dramatic decrease in crime:

Since adopting CCW (1987), Florida's homicide rate has fallen 21% while the U.S. rate has risen 12%. From start-up 10/1/87 - 2/28/94 (over 6 years) Florida issued 204,108 permits; only 17 (0.008%) were revoked because permittees later committed crimes (not necessarily violent) in which guns were present (not necessarily used).

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:04 pm

Naturality wrote:Tier 1: Basically your standard shall-issue conceal and carry law. It allows you to conceal and carry in normal businesses and areas that conceal and carry licenses normally permit you to take them. It doesn't allow carriage into federal buildings, courts, etc.

Most 'normal businesses' post that you are not allowed to 'legally carry' into their business.

I have a question ..

Where do the people that have the conceal carry, carry exactly? Besides their automobile.

A) I haven't seen that posted anywhere in Florida except at airport hangar facilities and courthouses.

B) I don't think business owners can restrict conceal and carry in all states unless they're in one of the "protected" categories.

Non Aligned States
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Non Aligned States » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:15 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:How can they thoroughly search you with one hand, while holding a firearm on you with the other? There's a reason police officers work in groups, or handcuff people, THEN search them.

Approach from behind, tell the mark to get down on the floor, or against the wall, hands out. Pat them down for valuables then once they've been immobilized. For added security, single use wire ties around both thumbs. Approaching from the front works too, but not so well some times.

Naturality
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 13, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Naturality » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Ok, well around here .. I see more no firearms and even some specifying no conceal carry than not. Federal or state etc buildings is a given. I guess I should look it up, does no firearms not cover conceal carry? I'd think it does.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General