NATION

PASSWORD

Are Wisconsin Democrats doing the right thing?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Los Cabreddes wrote:How about you free your pathetic little mind?

No really - attack the argument, not the person making it. You're close to getting a 1 day ban for your inability to learn.

Also:
Los Cabreddes wrote:I love getting laughs at your expense. I'm less angry now.

That sounds like a confession to baiting other posters. Do not do it.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Are Wisconsin Democrats doing the right thing?

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:27 pm

Wamitoria wrote:
Sucrati wrote:Doing the right thing?

Leaving a threat of laying off Public Sector workers by April 1st if they (Democrats) didn't go back to work? (Hey can't pass a budget without you, ya idiots)

Walker seem to be just begging for a general strike with that one.

General strikes are illegal in the United States.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:28 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Walker seem to be just begging for a general strike with that one.

General strikes are illegal in the United States.

Really? Why?
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:56 pm

Helertia wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:General strikes are illegal in the United States.

Really? Why?

Because Supreme Court rulings from the earlier half of the last century ruled them a violation of anti-trust law, and the exceptions subsequently granted to unions under the Wagner Act (and other laws) do not extend to secondary strikes.

In essence, a union cannot go on strike in support of another union. Oh, and public sector unions can only go on strike if their state permits it.

There's aren't going to be any strikes over this in Wisconsin or anywhere else. This isn't Europe.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:59 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Helertia wrote:
Really? Why?

Because Supreme Court rulings from the earlier half of the last century ruled them a violation of anti-trust law, and the exceptions subsequently granted to unions under the Wagner Act (and other laws) do not extend to secondary strikes.

In essence, a union cannot go on strike in support of another union. Oh, and public sector unions can only go on strike if their state permits it.

There's aren't going to be any strikes over this in Wisconsin or anywhere else. This isn't Europe.

Thats not fair. If businesses are allowed to disregard anti-trust laws then unions certainly ought to be allowed to.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:01 pm

Helertia wrote:Thats not fair. If businesses are allowed to disregard anti-trust laws then unions certainly ought to be allowed to.

Businesses are not allowed to disregard anti-trust law.

As for "fair", WTF is that?!? "Fair" has nothing to do with anything.

Los Cabreddes
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Los Cabreddes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Los Cabreddes wrote:
Exactly, which is why I personally, like GREAT LIBERALS such as FDR, oppose unionization among the "public sector." If they wish to change their wages, they should petition the people, and the people can decide.

Well, much as I admire President Roosevelt, I can't agree.

Do you think that by invoking "GREAT LIBERALS such as FDR" (and using caps to do it), we would all fall over and concede the point?

I don't intend on making you do any such thing, but this idea that only people who listen to Fox News can possibly disagree with you is

F-A-L-S-E
FYI: Grammar Nazis not welcome. Aei wull pel wow Aei wyke.

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
Helertia wrote:Thats not fair. If businesses are allowed to disregard anti-trust laws then unions certainly ought to be allowed to.

Businesses are not allowed to disregard anti-trust law.

As for "fair", WTF is that?!? "Fair" has nothing to do with anything.

ConAgra. IBP. General Motors.
Last edited by Helertia on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Los Cabreddes
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Los Cabreddes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Sedgistan wrote:
Los Cabreddes wrote:I love getting laughs at your expense. I'm less angry now.

That sounds like a confession to baiting other posters. Do not do it.

It's not, I just suddenly started laughing when I saw the situation, hence the post just before it.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Los Cabreddes wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Well, much as I admire President Roosevelt, I can't agree.

Do you think that by invoking "GREAT LIBERALS such as FDR" (and using caps to do it), we would all fall over and concede the point?

I don't intend on making you do any such thing, but this idea that only people who listen to Fox News can possibly disagree with you is

F-A-L-S-E

Uhm ... okay. Whatever. :blink:
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Los Cabreddes wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Well, much as I admire President Roosevelt, I can't agree.

F-A-L-S-E

I'm sure it is, but in interests of helping people recognise whether you are a Fox mouthpiece or not, would you mind not giving exactly the same opinions as them with exactly the same lack of evidence?

Los Cabreddes
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Los Cabreddes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:32 pm

Helertia wrote:ConAgra. IBP.

Personally I've always thought Monsanto was the most evil of the agriculture firms:

http://www.ielrc.org/content/a0503.pdf

"Monsanto vs. Schmeiser"

Los Cabreddes
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Los Cabreddes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:33 pm

Helertia wrote:I'm sure it is, but in interests of helping people recognise whether you are a Fox mouthpiece or not, would you mind not giving exactly the same opinions as them with exactly the same lack of evidence?

As someone who doesn't watch Fox News I'm sorry but I really can't oblige you as I don't know what they say, I just say what I see.

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Los Cabreddes wrote:
Helertia wrote:I'm sure it is, but in interests of helping people recognise whether you are a Fox mouthpiece or not, would you mind not giving exactly the same opinions as them with exactly the same lack of evidence?

As someone who doesn't watch Fox News I'm sorry but I really can't oblige you as I don't know what they say, I just say what I see.

Ah, I see. Well, in that case, I move on to asking to you to please back up your opinions with evidence.

Los Cabreddes
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Los Cabreddes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Farnhamia wrote:Uhm ... okay. Whatever. :blink:

What can I say, it's a weird conversation!

EDIT:

Helertia wrote:
Los Cabreddes wrote:

Ah, I see. Well, in that case, I move on to asking to you to please back up your opinions with evidence.

What evidence would you like?
Last edited by Los Cabreddes on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drachmar
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:47 pm

Los Cabreddes wrote:"The process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service" -FDR

I'm sure FDR was working for Fox too!

Please read the entire letter...

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=15445#axzz1FxMn49j7
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:Your unconscious mind is gold. my friend.

...which explains why people keep sticking shovels in your head.

Katganistan wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:I'm a monster in bed.

Women run screaming from you? ;)

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:51 pm

Los Cabreddes wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Uhm ... okay. Whatever. :blink:

What can I say, it's a weird conversation!

EDIT:

Helertia wrote:

What evidence would you like?

I don't know. I've forgotton what the argument was xD

Sucrati
Senator

Founded: Jun 05, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sucrati » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:56 am

I would rather still receive pay because the government would be able to afford to pay me by performance, rather than take a giant pay cut (example California, Democrats making the cut...) or be threatened to lose my job (which those public sector workers won't lose their jobs due to funding issues now)... so basically the Democrats were willing to allow their constituents to lose their jobs over something that should be decided by the taxpayer and not an organization that sucks up said taxpayer funds. Here the Republicans through a special clause passed unpopular legislation that just saved people from losing their jobs... hmm... I thought the Republicans were out to destroy jobs?
Economic Left/Right: 7.12; Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.92
George Washington wrote:"If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General