NATION

PASSWORD

Are Wisconsin Democrats doing the right thing?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Daistallia 2104 wrote:
Nope, not when allowing a vote will seriously harm their constituents they aren't.

How would that harm more than 2% of the state? Especially knowing they're living better than most of the other 98%?

Hear, hear!
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Senestrum wrote:They are representing their constituents in the best way they can, by doing whatever they can to stop a bill that will hurt said constituents. Regardless of whether you think the bill is good or not, they are doing their job of representing those who elected them.

They owe their constituents at least a vote on the issue, whether it passes or fails. If they get outvoted, they can say they lost to GOP greed and use it as a talking point in 2012.

They owe it to their constituents to go along with something they know will end up with said constituents being hurt? Where on earth are you getting that idea? Their job is to represent those that elected them, and in this case the only way they can do that is by abstaining from participating in the voting process.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:
Drachmar wrote:No you may not ask. It's not your business.

Oh look, it's another unionbot.

Yeah, probably, but if he's not, that's character assassination. :lol2:
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:26 pm

Rolamec wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:
Then wtf is wrong with Wisconsin?

It's the cheese, man, it does things to you....sexual things....

Wisconsin is previously a (very) blue state ...... they just like to dictate to their minority repubs before. I just am not aware if repubs constantly run away if they do disagree but it seems they dont . Problem here is that wisconsin suddenly turned red last nov. and the dems dont know how to be a minority . I guess the best thing they can do i ran, but then i could be wrong it could all because of the cheese.
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

Red Sector X
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Sector X » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:26 pm

No, they're not. They're hippies and idiots.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:27 pm

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Senestrum wrote:They are representing their constituents in the best way they can, by doing whatever they can to stop a bill that will hurt said constituents. Regardless of whether you think the bill is good or not, they are doing their job of representing those who elected them.

They owe their constituents at least a vote on the issue, whether it passes or fails. If they get outvoted, they can say they lost to GOP greed and use it as a talking point in 2012.

You're probably an oligarchal tool, but I'll pretend you just don't get the big picture and explain it.

Public Sector Unions are 3 of the 10 biggest contributors to American political campaigns- the other 7 are corporate and right-wing. Ever since the Supreme Court fucked up with Citizens United v Federal Election Commission, those 10 entities are allowed to throw in as much money as they want to any political campaign they wish.

Now, as has been mentioned so many times, the provisions in the bill include a requirement for annual recertification in order for the PSUs to remain in existence, on top of destroying the right to collective bargaining. This in effect is trying to break up the PSUs by default.

Once PSUs cease to exist, that means the only real political finance entities remaining will all be corporate. Which means by and large, only Republicans with a good record for corporate whoring will have a realistic shot at any public office. And once those whores get elected, they will engineer the government to maximize profits for the corporations and minimize any benefits or rights of those working for them. I guarantee if this bill passes almost all of the 50 States will become Right to Work states with all the shit that comes with it.

And if PSUs can be destroyed, guess what? Private unions will be next, or will be irrelevant as the Republicans paid for by corporate money systemically legislate them out of existence.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Senestrum wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:

They owe it to their constituents to go along with something they know will end up with said constituents being hurt? Where on earth are you getting that idea? Their job is to represent those that elected them, and in this case the only way they can do that is by abstaining from participating in the voting process.

In terms of money, yeah, those unions are the constituents... in terms of their districts, that's just b-s.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Sierra Lobo wrote:
Rolamec wrote:
It's the cheese, man, it does things to you....sexual things....

Wisconsin is previously a (very) blue state ...... they just like to dictate to their minority repubs before. I just am not aware if repubs constantly run away if they do disagree but it seems they dont . Problem here is that wisconsin suddenly turned red last nov. and the dems dont know how to be a minority . I guess the best thing they can do i ran, but then i could be wrong it could all because of the cheese.

Of course Democrats don't know how to be a minority, did you see how they were during Bush? "We oppose, okay, we'll cave." Sadly they are still living in the 1930s and 40s...
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Mongolian Khanate
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mongolian Khanate » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:28 pm

Red Sector X wrote:No, they're not. They're hippies and idiots.

Now that's a healthy political climate.

How long before you outlaw the democratic party?
When ever you get balls deep into the study of philosophy, you get really anal about definitions.
Trotskylvania

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Mongolian Khanate wrote:

Don't worry, once the only political financiers in existence are all corporate, the Democratic Party will be outlawed de facto.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Red Sector X
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Sector X » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:30 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:

You're probably an oligarchal tool, but I'll pretend you just don't get the big picture and explain it.

Public Sector Unions are 3 of the 10 biggest contributors to American political campaigns- the other 7 are corporate and right-wing. Ever since the Supreme Court fucked up with Citizens United v Federal Election Commission, those 10 entities are allowed to throw in as much money as they want to any political campaign they wish.

Now, as has been mentioned so many times, the provisions in the bill include a requirement for annual recertification in order for the PSUs to remain in existence, on top of destroying the right to collective bargaining. This in effect is trying to break up the PSUs by default.

Once PSUs cease to exist, that means the only real political finance entities remaining will all be corporate. Which means by and large, only Republicans with a good record for corporate whoring will have a realistic shot at any public office. And once those whores get elected, they will engineer the government to maximize profits for the corporations and minimize any benefits or rights of those working for them. I guarantee if this bill passes almost all of the 50 States will become Right to Work states with all the shit that comes with it.

And if PSUs can be destroyed, guess what? Private unions will be next, or will be irrelevant as the Republicans paid for by corporate money systemically legislate them out of existence.

"Oligarchal tool"? You mean like the entire Democratic Party? Because Communism's pretty damn "Oligarchal", and that's the unions' objective- a welfare state where they use all the people like slaves.

Senestrum
Senator

Founded: Sep 15, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Senestrum » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:30 pm

The democratic party is very similar to the republican party. They're somewhat less fascist but that's about it.
Need help with lineart or technical drawings? Want comments and critique? Or do you just want to show off?
If so, join Lineartinc today, Nationstates' only lineart community!
We welcome people of any skill level, from first-timers to veteran artists.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Rolamec wrote:
Sierra Lobo wrote:

Of course Democrats don't know how to be a minority, did you see how they were during Bush? "We oppose, okay, we'll cave." Sadly they are still living in the 1930s and 40s...

And yet you're bitching that the Senators aren't doing their jobs by not going back to Wisconsin and caving in. How disingenuous.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:32 pm

Red Sector X wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

"Oligarchal tool"? You mean like the entire Democratic Party? Because Communism's pretty damn "Oligarchal", and that's the unions' objective- a welfare state where they use all the people like slaves.

You know nothing about Oligarchy, Communism, nor US Politics. You proved that with one single post.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Red Sector X
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Sector X » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:33 pm

Senestrum wrote:

The democratic party is very similar to the republican party. They're somewhat less fascist but that's about it.

They're less FASCIST? I'm pretty sure the Democrats are the big-government advocates here. And big government leads to Statism, Statism leads to Autocracy, and Autocracy leads to slavery.

Drachmar
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:
Drachmar wrote:No you may not ask. It's not your business.

Haha! That's hilarious.
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:
United Marktoria wrote:Your unconscious mind is gold. my friend.

...which explains why people keep sticking shovels in your head.

Katganistan wrote:
North Wiedna wrote:I'm a monster in bed.

Women run screaming from you? ;)

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:

PSU's are a drain on the taxpayer, i.e. the folks that are forced to give their money to the state. And PSU's are cleaning the governments out of money. Money which comes... from the taxpayers. :eek:
Making it harder for the PSU's to rape the state will help the people.

And Dems would still have lawyers to get donations from. And as far as Private sector unions, they need some protection, but that's just outright fear-mongering. And as far as corporate donations, it's about an even 50/50 split. The Dems would not lose as much as you think they would.

NSG Sodomy Club Member.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Sierra Lobo
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sierra Lobo » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Senestrum wrote:
Sierra Lobo wrote:
True.... but should'nt the preacher of civility be CIVIL. Where thou is the moral ground.

Taking the moral high ground means death for the party. The democrats need to grow a sack because otherwise the entire US political environment is a de facto one-party system.

You mean the money laundering apparatus of the Dems?

Senestrum wrote:
Sierra Lobo wrote:I mean the labor protesters is more wingnuts than the Tea Party.

rofl how can you possibly believe this

you mean you are not aware of this? I guess drinking liberal cool aid does desensitize you from union rhetorics.
Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

"Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is the same as that of the religious fanatics, and it springs from the same source . . . They are creatures who can't hear the music of the spheres." - Einstein

“Liberals are very broadminded: they are always willing to give careful consideration to both sides of the same side”

Red Sector X
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Sector X » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:35 pm

Drachmar wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:

Haha! That's hilarious.

Oh look, the unionbot talks. It has a long delay time, though. Guess that software's not up to par.
Last edited by Red Sector X on Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drachmar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 pm

Red Sector X wrote:
Drachmar wrote:
Haha! That's hilarious.

Oh look, the unionbot talks. It has a long delay time, though.

Oh look...I'm a robot. Christ, I can't even go out and smoke.

But wait! Robots don't smoke, do they?

You're confusing me.

Do robots smoke?
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Katganistan wrote:

Red Sector X
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Sector X » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:38 pm

Drachmar wrote:
Red Sector X wrote:
Oh look, the unionbot talks. It has a long delay time, though.

Oh look...I'm a robot. Christ, I can't even go out and smoke.

You're confusing me.

Do robots smoke?

When they overheat.
*rimshot*

Drachmar
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Drachmar » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Red Sector X wrote:
Drachmar wrote:Oh look...I'm a robot. Christ, I can't even go out and smoke.

You're confusing me.

Do robots smoke?

When they overheat.
*rimshot*

Wisconsin's weather generally prevents my servos from overheating.
Favorite quotes:

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Katganistan wrote:

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Mongolian Khanate wrote:

Don't worry, once the only political financiers in existence are all corporate, the Democratic Party will be outlawed de facto.

No it won't. Corporations give plenty to the D's too.

And your attitude towards this whole thing is emblematic of the problem with American democracy. You only get angry with corruption when it isn't working for 'your' side.

Attitudes like yours make the third world what it is.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Rolamec
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 15, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolamec » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:39 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Rolamec wrote:

And yet you're bitching that the Senators aren't doing their jobs by not going back to Wisconsin and caving in. How disingenuous.

Me saying what they should do and what they actually do are two separate things, entirely. Blame the party for being weak, not the system.
Rolamec of New Earth
A Proud and Progressive Republican.
"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Economic Left/Right: 4.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Red Sector X
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Red Sector X » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Drachmar wrote:
Red Sector X wrote:
When they overheat.
*rimshot*

Wisconsin's weather generally prevents my servos from overheating.

Ah, so you're a unionbot on the frontlines of the fight against democracy?
Good for you, I guess.
Not really good for the taxpayers, but w/e...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General