NATION

PASSWORD

Did your relatives serve in World War 2?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Austronia
Attaché

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Did your relatives serve in World War 2?

Postby Austronia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:01 pm

I've been recently studying World War 2 in history at my school and i've really gotten interested in it. I was just wondering about if anyone knows if any of their relatives served in World War 2 and if they had any stories about it. I've got an essay to right and I thought it would be nice to know things that you wouldnt find in a history book.

Thanks.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Did your relatives serve in World War 2?

Postby Hydesland » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:08 pm

Both of my Granddads did.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:09 pm

My paternal grandfather was a sergeant who served on on a base here; his job was to train fighter pilots.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

The German Region
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The German Region » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Hydesland wrote:Both of my Granddads did.

Do you know what armies they served in?

My grandad served in the 9th German Army. He was based in France for a time he told me, but then he moved on to the Eastern Front where I think he fought until the end of the war.
Last edited by The German Region on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DEFCON 3

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:10 pm

my dad was drafted in early 1941 as part of a preparing for possible war by bringing back experienced soldiers who had served and been discharged. he was sent to iran shortly after pearl harbor. he got malaria and ended up in the hospital for several years.
whatever

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:10 pm

One of my grandfathers did, the other was too young.

He didn't really tell me any stories, he talked about it a little when I was going to Italy because that's why he had been there before.

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:11 pm

No, although most of my then-living relatives (on both sides of the family) died in Nazi death camps.

You could say they were providing soap for the German Army. *nod*
Signatures are for losers.

Parthenon
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:12 pm

My grandfather played for the Army's baseball team for the course of the war. Was offered a spot in the National League but turned it down given how little it payed back then.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:13 pm

Both of my grandfathers did. One was a medic on the eastern front, and the other was a sailor in the Pacific.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:15 pm

My great uncle was a liutenant on the Eastern Front, helped in the Soviet Counter attack all the way to the Battle of Berlin. He was in the Reichstag when that Soviet hoisted the flag. But he died. Pretty coool story on his experience in the Battle of Berlin.TG me if you want to hear it.
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

The German Region
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The German Region » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:17 pm

My grandad always said the the Eastern front must have been the worst front to serve on. He fought in Operation Barbarossa and then right until the end at Halbe I think thats what he said where the 9th he said was effectively destroyed.

Luckily he surrendered to the Americans and not the Soviets.
DEFCON 3

Fson
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:19 pm

My great grandfather fought in the second world war,
my great great grandfather served in the first world war and fought in the battle of the somme.

He was in the 36th Ulster division.

Ok news just in my great grandfathers sister (great great aunt?) married a french man who fought the germans until france surrendered he was then killed on DDay when he took part in the free french attacks. sad..:(
Last edited by Fson on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by Wilgrove » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am

OMG, It's so obvious! Of course!! Science has lied to us!!!

It's time to abandon scientific progress and only look towards the Lord Jesus Christ (who is white of course) for guidance in all matters!

Rhods
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhods » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:20 pm

Both of my grandfathers, two o my great grandfathers on my moms side, my great uncl on my mom's side,
One of my grandpas was in the occupaton army that was in japan, on the other side he was an alpino in the facists italian army, bu when the nazis kidnappd mousolinni he fought the nazis in hs home village until the americans came up the mountain, bith great uncles were both bomber pilots in the pacific theater, and my semi great grandfather fought on IWO against TOJO.

THEFORTRESSSTATEOFRHODS

The Honorable Enlightened Supreme General of the Fortress State
Emeka Chukwuemeka'desta Dakarai Olufemi Abioye Toure
High Lord of the Victorious Insurrection of the Chosen Emissaries' Army

L3 Communications
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby L3 Communications » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:22 pm

No. My grandfather served in Korea though.
The Corporate Conglomerate of L3 Communications
L3 Corporate Factbook - L3 Embassy/Consulate Programme - L3 Broadcasting Corporation - L3 Communications - Global Armaments

- Member of The Conglomerate
- Member of CAPINTERN
- Member of the IFA
Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 7.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -4.46

New Nicksyllvania wrote:WA is jew infested tyranny that does not understand freedom and 0% taxation

Lyras wrote:Thirdly, the inclusion of multiple penetration aids (such as flares, chaff, false-target balloons and lubricant)...

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:23 pm

Both Grandfathers, one Grandmother, and one Great Uncle.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Turkish Federation
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 20, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Turkish Federation » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Nope, but my great-grandfather served in the Turkish Independence War and got the Turkish Medal of INdependence.
The Turkish Federation
Factbook - Embassy thread - NSTracker

Mandanisia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Aug 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Mandanisia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:29 pm

My grandfather Served in the war, I forget a lot of the things that he said, but he said that the war was better than life in East Germany.
But, I grew up with a "pro-East German" view. So, When he said this it was like he was blaspheming aginst the state.

The German Region
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The German Region » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:31 pm

Mandanisia wrote:My grandfather Served in the war, I forget a lot of the things that he said, but he said that the war was better than life in East Germany.
But, I grew up with a "pro-East German" view. So, When he said this it was like he was blaspheming aginst the state.

Do you know if he served on the Eastern Front and is so what Army he was part of?
DEFCON 3

Chernobyl-Pripyat
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Chernobyl-Pripyat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:34 pm

both sets of grandparents did, with one grandfather going all the way to Berlin[lost most of his hearing after an IS-2 fired directly over his head]

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:38 pm

Both of mine did. One was a Sergeant in the army, and fought in the Battle of the Bulge with a mortar. He's also a rather accomplished knife fighter, and has a collection of officer and Hitler youth knives and sabers hanging on his wall.

My other grandfather served in the pacific in the Navy, though I don't really know what he did.
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

Austronia
Attaché

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Austronia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:49 pm

I just thought i'd say about my relative in the war. And thanks for this, its very interesting.

My grandad was drafted to join the German Army after Austria was annexed by the Third Reich. He served in the battle of France and was part of the famous 6th Army. He said to me that he was dissapointed that he didn't get to march through Paris though as part of the victory parade as he was injured after he was shot in the leg. He rejoined the 6th Army again but this time on the Eastern front where he fought in the battle of Stalingrad but was one of the lucky few who managed to escpae the Soviet attack.

He was reassigned to the 4th German army and fought in the battle of Berlin before he ultimately surrendered to the Soviet forces. Luckily he survived the captivity.

The German Region
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The German Region » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:53 pm

Austronia wrote:I just thought i'd say about my relative in the war. And thanks for this, its very interesting.

My grandad was drafted to join the German Army after Austria was annexed by the Third Reich. He served in the battle of France and was part of the famous 6th Army. He said to me that he was dissapointed that he didn't get to march through Paris though as part of the victory parade as he was injured after he was shot in the leg. He rejoined the 6th Army again but this time on the Eastern front where he fought in the battle of Stalingrad but was one of the lucky few who managed to escpae the Soviet attack.

He was reassigned to the 4th German army and fought in the battle of Berlin before he ultimately surrendered to the Soviet forces. Luckily he survived the captivity.

Wow the 6th Army! My grandad always said he wanted to serve in that army, one of the best around. Very sad though about what happened to them at Stalingrad. My grandad said that when the 6th were defeated at Stalingrad that was when the morale of the Wermacht on the Eastern Front took a serious hit. And then on to the 4th to fight at Berlin, you grandad fought in two of the bloodiest battles on the Eastern Front.
DEFCON 3

Brogavia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Brogavia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 pm

My grandpa on my Mom's side was part of Carlson's Raiders (2nd Marine Raider Battalion) during the Makin Island Raid. He survived the war, but I've never met him. He lives in a Vets home, and is a drunk. I guess he was closer to my Dad than anyone else.
Playing NS since Jan of 2006

1010102, Unjustly Deleted

Agent of the Timegate, if you expose me I'll kill you

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:57 pm

Not so sure about World War Two, but my great-grandfather and his three brothers served during World War One, and three of them made it through the conflict - which I consider quite lucky, all things considered.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Fson
Minister

Founded: Sep 30, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fson » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:59 pm

Austronia wrote:I just thought i'd say about my relative in the war. And thanks for this, its very interesting.

So wait your ancestors could have fought against my great great Uncle? strange my uncle i think was with the 71st infantry division, although he may have been with the 55th but they where a reserve division, either way he fought in Sedan and somehow managed to retreat in enough time to make it to dunkirk, How do you think he could have done this guys?

I have always wondered myself.

Well in general i didnt know much about him until around 30 minutes ago. all i know was that he fought on the french side
Last edited by Fson on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
by Wilgrove » Wed May 26, 2010 7:51 am

OMG, It's so obvious! Of course!! Science has lied to us!!!

It's time to abandon scientific progress and only look towards the Lord Jesus Christ (who is white of course) for guidance in all matters!

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General