NATION

PASSWORD

Is School Slavery With Benifits?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is School Slavery With Benfits?

Yes
61
22%
No
214
78%
 
Total votes : 275

User avatar
Keronians
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 18231
Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:49 pm

KatBoo wrote:
Neo-Sincostan wrote:
Lower teens perhaps. The sort of 16+ types like myself don't tend to post "Sch00l is bad and liek slavrey becos it s pointless and wasting my time when I could be doing better stuff!."


I love school and I would never write like that. I'm a national spelling bee champion, an honour roll student and a proud grammar nazi. I'm also a "lower teen". Don't discriminate based on age, thanks.


So you've been playing this game since before you were 10? That's surprising.

And, yeah, it's stereotyping. Everybody gets something from it. That's the good bit. An American calls me an ignorant surfer, I call him a retard whose favourite word is "SOCIALISM!!!". An Irishman tells me I should be considered African, I say he should go back to the pub. And it goes on.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

User avatar
Risottia
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52958
Founded: Sep 05, 2006
New York Times Democracy

Postby Risottia » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Risottia wrote:
...love pi, or pie. I mean, or die. ...Can I guess again? No? Oh well. :blink:


Try again... :p


Attending school earns you a couple of lightsabers?
Statanist through and through.
Evilutionist Atheist Crusadjihadist. "Darwinu Akhbar! Dawkins vult!"
Founder of the NSG Peace Prize Committee.
I'm back.
SUMMER, BLOODY SUMMER!

User avatar
Geniasis
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7531
Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:50 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Universal education is a necessary condition for a free society. Which is why it is mandated.

No, it isn't.
It is damn pointless. You force someone who doesn't want to go to school, they wont learn they will just hamper rest of class and use resorces which could be better used on other students.


No, the alternative is far worse. There's a reason it was made mandatory in the first place.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.


DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!


Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.


Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

User avatar
Izarius
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1479
Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Izarius » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Revenans wrote:Decide wether or not School is like slavery. I consider it to be one myself, just Im paying them in taxes. Please reply.


Wether schooling is slavery or not, you need more of it.
Supporter of the true legitimate government in Libya, that of Colonel Muammar al-Gaddafi.
Read this first before complaining about Gaddafi's supposed crimes
The Libyan NTC refuses to stop ethnic cleansing

Pro-democracy groups have overthrown the Izarian regime
PRIMA Defense Systems

[ ] 0: Normal readiness
[ ] 1: Increased alert
[ ] 2: High alert
[ ] 3: Full alert
[ ] 4: Limited war
[x] 5: Total war

User avatar
The Norwegian Blue
Minister
 
Posts: 2529
Founded: Jul 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:51 pm

A Helpful Guide For People Thinking of Comparing Something To Slavery

Please answer the following questions about the thing which you intend to compare to slavery.

1. Does it involve you physically being bought and sold for money?

2. Did anyone strip you naked, put you on a block, and force you to stand there while people inspected you to determine how much money you were worth?

3. Did it involve you being violently kidnapped from your home?

4. Has it ever put you in chains?

5. Does it rape you?

6. Does it threaten to kill you if you disobey?

7. How about your family? Does it threaten to kill them?

8. Does it force you to engage in strenuous physical labor for hours on end, and beat you if you so much as try to rest?

9. Does it leave you in constant fear of your life?

10. If you get pregnant, does it take your children away and sell them?

11. Is it almost unimaginably more awful than having to do your pre-algebra homework?

If you answered "no" to all of these questions, congratulations! Your comparison is a ridiculous piece of hyperbole!
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
...if you poop just to poop, then it is immoral. - Bandarikin
And if abortion was illegal, there wouldn't be male doctors - Green Port
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

User avatar
Georgism
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9940
Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:51 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Universal education is a necessary condition for a free society. Which is why it is mandated.

No, it isn't.
It is damn pointless. You force someone who doesn't want to go to school, they wont learn they will just hamper rest of class and use resorces which could be better used on other students.

They will learn eventually just by absorbing things from their environment.
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 192702
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Risottia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Try again... :p


Attending school earns you a couple of lightsabers?


No Watson. Try one more time. :D
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28677
Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:52 pm

Georgism wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:No, it isn't.
It is damn pointless. You force someone who doesn't want to go to school, they wont learn they will just hamper rest of class and use resorces which could be better used on other students.

They will learn eventually just by absorbing things from their environment.

You mean by chatting about having a cup of coffee in maths lesson?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Georgism
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9940
Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:53 pm

The Norwegian Blue wrote:A Helpful Guide For People Thinking of Comparing Something To Slavery

Please answer the following questions about the thing which you intend to compare to slavery.

1. Does it involve you physically being bought and sold for money?

2. Did anyone strip you naked, put you on a block, and force you to stand there while people inspected you to determine how much money you were worth?

3. Did it involve you being violently kidnapped from your home?

4. Has it ever put you in chains?

5. Does it rape you?

6. Does it threaten to kill you if you disobey?

7. How about your family? Does it threaten to kill them?

8. Does it force you to engage in strenuous physical labor for hours on end, and beat you if you so much as try to rest?

9. Does it leave you in constant fear of your life?

10. If you get pregnant, does it take your children away and sell them?

11. Is it almost unimaginably more awful than having to do your pre-algebra homework?

If you answered "no" to all of these questions, congratulations! Your comparison is a ridiculous piece of hyperbole!

:clap:

Saved for future use.
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

User avatar
Trotskylvania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17217
Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:Universal education is a necessary condition for a free society. Which is why it is mandated.

No, it isn't.
It is damn pointless. You force someone who doesn't want to go to school, they wont learn they will just hamper rest of class and use resorces which could be better used on other students.

There has never been a single society that had any kind of free political system that didn't have universal education. Any society that doesn't educate all its citizens has failed them. Without that education, you cannot function in society. Which is why adolescents or their parents don't get the choice to opt out, any more than they can opt their children out of necessary medical care.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism


"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

User avatar
Georgism
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9940
Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Great Nepal wrote:You mean by chatting about having a cup of coffee in maths lesson?

Notice how even the chaviest chavs with total disdain for education can read and write well enough to fill out their own tax returns, or read the Sun.
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 140005
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ifreann » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Dumb Ideologies wrote:I'm kinda fed up of people arguing that any curtailment of their liberty, however easily justifiable, is 'slavery'. Clearly there's a sexy party in the hyperbole-mobile and I wasn't invited.

Sexiest party in the fucking history of the universe.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Regular Thorough Handwashing For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Coughing Etiquette That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Social Distancing
He/Him

You've got a lonesome road to walk, and it ain't along the railroad track, and it ain't along the black-top tar you walked a hundred times before.
I'll tell you where the real road lies: between your ears, behind your eyes. That is the path to paradise, likewise the road to ruin.

User avatar
Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28677
Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Georgism wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:You mean by chatting about having a cup of coffee in maths lesson?

Notice how even the chaviest chavs with total disdain for education can read and write well enough to fill out their own tax returns, or read the Sun.

I am sure they could do it as they go through their life. They dont need to school and chat about coffee in maths lesson to do that.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28677
Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:57 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:No, it isn't.
It is damn pointless. You force someone who doesn't want to go to school, they wont learn they will just hamper rest of class and use resorces which could be better used on other students.

There has never been a single society that had any kind of free political system that didn't have universal education. Any society that doesn't educate all its citizens has failed them. Without that education, you cannot function in society. Which is why adolescents or their parents don't get the choice to opt out, any more than they can opt their children out of necessary medical care.

If they dont care about their education then its their own fault. They cant function in society, whose fault is it that they couldn't be bothered to learn?
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 192702
Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:There has never been a single society that had any kind of free political system that didn't have universal education. Any society that doesn't educate all its citizens has failed them. Without that education, you cannot function in society. Which is why adolescents or their parents don't get the choice to opt out, any more than they can opt their children out of necessary medical care.

If they dont care about their education then its their own fault. They cant function in society, whose fault is it that they couldn't be bothered to learn?


Did you actually read Trotskylvania's post or are you just being deliberately obtuse?
Code name: Ratatouille Strychnine
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Heartless, ''transgendered non-binary kawaii Chan'', & a d*ck.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

User avatar
Trotskylvania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17217
Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:59 pm

Great Nepal wrote:
Georgism wrote:Notice how even the chaviest chavs with total disdain for education can read and write well enough to fill out their own tax returns, or read the Sun.

I am sure they could do it as they go through their life. They dont need to school and chat about coffee in maths lesson to do that.

You're awfully insistent about this chatting about coffee in math class. So I guess, because one person pissed you off, you, in your infinite wisdom, will ignore all of recorded history and insist that the filthy lumpens don't deserve an education.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism


"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

User avatar
Georgism
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9940
Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:00 pm

Great Nepal wrote:I am sure they could do it as they go through their life.

I'm not.

They dont need to school and chat about coffee in maths lesson to do that.

:roll:
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

User avatar
Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet
 
Posts: 28677
Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:You're awfully insistent about this chatting about coffee in math class. So I guess, because one person pissed you off, you, in your infinite wisdom, will ignore all of recorded history and insist that the filthy lumpens don't deserve an education.

coffee in maths class was an phrase I used to refer to unrelated chatting in class. ;)

I never said they dont deserve education, if they want to get education: then it should be free. If they dont however, they shouldn't be forced to either.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.


User avatar
Geniasis
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7531
Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Great Nepal wrote:I am sure they could do it as they go through their life.


And yet this was not the case before education was made mandatory.

They dont need to school and chat about coffee in maths lesson to do that.


Enough with your coffee fetish, already. Jesus, I'm from Seattle and even I think it's getting a bit ridiculous.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.


DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!


Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.


Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

User avatar
Izarius
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1479
Founded: Jan 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Izarius » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:01 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:I am sure they could do it as they go through their life. They dont need to school and chat about coffee in maths lesson to do that.

You're awfully insistent about this chatting about coffee in math class. So I guess, because one person pissed you off, you, in your infinite wisdom, will ignore all of recorded history and insist that the filthy lumpens don't deserve an education.


I have no sympathy for lumpen scum who are class-traitors to the proletariat.
Supporter of the true legitimate government in Libya, that of Colonel Muammar al-Gaddafi.
Read this first before complaining about Gaddafi's supposed crimes
The Libyan NTC refuses to stop ethnic cleansing

Pro-democracy groups have overthrown the Izarian regime
PRIMA Defense Systems

[ ] 0: Normal readiness
[ ] 1: Increased alert
[ ] 2: High alert
[ ] 3: Full alert
[ ] 4: Limited war
[x] 5: Total war

User avatar
Bendira
Senator
 
Posts: 4410
Founded: Apr 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bendira » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Public education is a prison. Anybody that says otherwise is a liar. It clearly is a prison, you cannot leave. Now whether it has benefits or not is the actual question, personally id say no. The education you receive in the classroom can be obtained at a library for virtually free, and even a better education at that. What you pay for with your taxes is the prison infrustructure to cage in all the kids pretty much.
Political Compass:

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -0.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.00

User avatar
Trotskylvania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17217
Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:11 pm

Bendira wrote:Public education is a prison. Anybody that says otherwise is a liar. It clearly is a prison, you cannot leave. Now whether it has benefits or not is the actual question, personally id say no. The education you receive in the classroom can be obtained at a library for virtually free, and even a better education at that. What you pay for with your taxes is the prison infrustructure to cage in all the kids pretty much.

Oh boo hoo. Someone is making poor kids learn something useful for 8 hours a day. And regardless of what you think about being an autodidact, learning is much easier and more effective when it is guided by a trained educator.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism


"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

User avatar
Neo-Sincostan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 891
Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Neo-Sincostan » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Izarius wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:You're awfully insistent about this chatting about coffee in math class. So I guess, because one person pissed you off, you, in your infinite wisdom, will ignore all of recorded history and insist that the filthy lumpens don't deserve an education.


I have no sympathy for lumpen scum who are class-traitors to the proletariat.


Lets be honest here, most neds (Chavs) don't really contribute to society much. They usually truant school and on the rare occassion that they do turn up they tend to... how to put it lightly? Fuck about.
Some do actually go on to get jobs, which is great. Some however, intentionally remain jobless and live off benefits. Even if they keep saying they want a job. They are a drain on society, in many, many ways. Y'know what I find hilarious is that these types of families are supposedly living in "poverty", yet manage to afford all manner of things, including widescreen TV's. That is not poverty. Yet my parents who actually work and earn "decent" wages seem to be worse off than these families. Whats going on here?
This is why I draw a line between working class and Ned culture, which I regard as some form of sub-society really.

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76677
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:12 pm

No. Next question?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
Banold
Envoy
 
Posts: 241
Founded: May 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Banold » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:13 pm

just Im paying them in taxes


Talk about slavery...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGMQZEIXBMs&feature=player_embedded#at=209

Anything forced against your will, done w/o your consent, or made to happen via coercion is by definition, slavery.

Mandatory schooling is just like mandatory military service/conscription...
Moral Compass: Progressive Neoliberal
-1.5 on Moral Order
-6 on Moral Rules
Political Compass: Right Libertarian
Economic Left/Right: 6.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72
Moral Compass for a Post-Industrial World: (32,-20)
New Progressive
Center for a State-less Society:
3% Economic Rightist | 41% Anarchist | 64% Anti-Militarist | 67% Socio-Cultural Liberal | 60% Civil Libertarian
Political Test: Liberal
Cosmopolitan 6% | Secular 46% | Visonary 4% | Anarchistic 23% | Capitalistic 53% | Pacifist 7% | Anthropocentric 21%

Pronounced like a contraction of the 2 English words: "Ban" + "Old" = Banold

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Abserdia, Celritannia, Europe - Prussia, Fartsniffage, Gosche, Greater Miami Shores, Grinning Dragon, Laurendia, Proctopeo, Rusozak, South Odreria 2, Spirit of Hope, The Andromeda Island Group, Thermodolia, Vassenor, Violent Mike, Wasi State

Advertisement

Remove ads