NATION

PASSWORD

Which modern cult is most dangerous?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Which of these religious movements is most dangerous?

The Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (FLDS Church)
9%
Church of Scientology International
67%
Sōka Gakkai International (SGI)
0%
International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON)
2%
Raelism
0%
Nation of Islam
20%
First Church of Christ, Scientist
1%

Total votes : 215

Marshmellowstan
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Marshmellowstan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:38 pm

Scientology has some of the greatest "beliefs" of any religion, and is especialy damaging to your bank account.
RU PAUL 2016
Existential_Nihilists wrote:Because he is "God". He can do whatever the hell he wants, regardless if the action in question can or cannot be justified. Sure, he's cruel, thoughtless and sadistic... but he loves you. :hug:

Reploid Productions wrote: ...That would be bitchin'!

Malsitar wrote:All citizens are oppressed equally regardless of race.

Ain't nothing to it, Gangster rap made me do it...

Xarithis
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Xarithis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:42 pm

Whatever cult I happen to be a member of.
"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Until I stop procrastinating and write a Factbook, here are a few basic facts of Xarithis for reference:

Form of Government: Dictatorship
RP Population: 40,444,305
Economic System: Mixed, Leaning toward State Capitalism

Beach Boys
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Beach Boys » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:20 am

Sunny Marionette wrote:Wow, I didn't know Scientology did all that...

That's only a little bit of their story. start with reading something like this: A Piece of Blue Sky. and then have a look here to get the big picture on what they're up to now. you have to see them in action to get how bad it can be. when they "apply scientology" to somebody, it's a cold calculating vampire number on their minds. and if they decide you're an "enemy" they try to destroy you.
Beach Boys

Life is a wave. Wave back.

Beach Boys
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Beach Boys » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:28 am

GothicLust wrote:FLDS. From government benefits fraud to child rape they've done it. At least Scientologists are killing adults. ..

GL, I'm not going to argue if FLDS are ever bad because I have friends who were messed up there, but they are no comparison to the scienos. look at the links in my last post. and as for what they do to kids, there's not just the stuff in those other links. also check out this: Ex-Scientology Kids. does that really sound like it's good for kids?

scientology teaching really screws with kids on so many levels, it'd take a book to explain it all.
Last edited by Beach Boys on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beach Boys

The Araucania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Araucania » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:30 am

the common LDS is more dangerous than all that cults
FOR A CELTIC UNITY
CHRISTIAN AND PROUD
LUTHERAN
NatSit 1| NatSit 2|NatSit 3|NatSIt 4|NatSit 5|NatSit 6|NatSit 7|
DEPENDENCES
New Cork and Helsinsk, Araucanian Antartica

ARGENTINA

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:41 am

Cameroi wrote:i'd say it's a toss up between christianity and islam. all of the dangerous charicteristics of a 'cult' are present there. and a thousand years or two is still "modern" in the context of the tens of thousands of years of the human species, the millions of life, some of it possibly sentient or near sentient, and so on.

and most, because most popular and at the same time most denied of their cultish enslavement of emotional attachment.

now i'm not saying anything negative about either of their revealers, nor the one same god who chose them (along with all the others, like buddah, krshna, et al) to be channeled by,
but rather, what their modern day so called followers have to a very large degree, turned their revelations into.

*phew*

Glad I don't have to explain the difference between a religion and cult because unfortunately you hit the nail on the head…
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:45 am

Am amazed no one had mentioned Apple yet...
Beer - the other white meat

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:50 am

Vonners wrote:Am amazed no one had mentioned Apple yet...

The only way Apple is dangerous is that they drain your bank account with it's overpriced products.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:52 am

Wilgrove wrote:
Vonners wrote:Am amazed no one had mentioned Apple yet...

The only way Apple is dangerous is that they drain your bank account with it's overpriced products.

That is one of a few...insidious marketing, flawed product development, rabid brand protection, a messianic leader...all hallmarks of a cult...

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:56 am

Vonners wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

That is one of a few...insidious marketing, flawed product development, rabid brand protection, a messianic leader...all hallmarks of a cult...

Yea, but they're not off on a compound somewhere, being told that they can't talk to people outside the group and I doubt Steve Jobs is going to ask his Apple-Heads to drink the Kool-Aid anytime soon.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:01 am

Wilgrove wrote:
Vonners wrote:

Yea, but they're not off on a compound somewhere, being told that they can't talk to people outside the group and I doubt Steve Jobs is going to ask his Apple-Heads to drink the Kool-Aid anytime soon.

Little do you know of Apple...

Ardencord
Political Columnist

Founded: Jan 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardencord » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:26 am

Big Jim P wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:
Are pay phones still around? I think my town took them down a long time ago. No one really uses them since the advance of cell phones.

I haven't seen one in forever. It sucks, since I don't have (nor do I want) a cellphone.

The last time I saw one in my nearest city, it had a sticker on it proclaiming that it was tapped in accordance with the Patriot Act.

I don't feel that I know enough about any of these groups to say which one is the most dangerous, but after doing a little bit of research Scientology seems pretty damn scary. I certainly wouldn't want to get involved.

The Araucania
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Araucania » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:31 am

The Araucania wrote:the common LDS is more dangerous than all that cults

EVEN MORE THAN APPLE!
FOR A CELTIC UNITY
CHRISTIAN AND PROUD
LUTHERAN
NatSit 1| NatSit 2|NatSit 3|NatSIt 4|NatSit 5|NatSit 6|NatSit 7|
DEPENDENCES
New Cork and Helsinsk, Araucanian Antartica

ARGENTINA

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:34 am

Vonners wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:

Ok, enlighten me.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:44 am

Wilgrove wrote:
Vonners wrote:

Ok, enlighten me.

Is it worth the effort? Given your comments its obvious you know nothing of the way Apple operates nor how much of a micro managing control freak Jobs is. Why do you think the shareholders are shitting themselves about his health problems?

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:53 am

Vonners wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:
Ok, enlighten me.

Is it worth the effort? Given your comments its obvious you know nothing of the way Apple operates nor how much of a micro managing control freak Jobs is. Why do you think the shareholders are shitting themselves about his health problems?

So far, nothing you have said points to Apple being a dangerous cult like Scientology is, or Jonestown was.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:00 am

Wilgrove wrote:
Vonners wrote:

So far, nothing you have said points to Apple being a dangerous cult like Scientology is, or Jonestown was.

oh ffs :roll:

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:04 am

Because Microsoft doesn't have a rabid fanbase or anything, oh noooo… :roll:

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:05 am

Arkinesia wrote:Because Microsoft doesn't have a rabid fanbase or anything, oh noooo… :roll:

only amongst bribed execs ;)

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:09 am

Vonners wrote:
Arkinesia wrote:Because Microsoft doesn't have a rabid fanbase or anything, oh noooo… :roll:

I highly doubt a 19-year-old college student claiming the Kinect is the greatest thing ever is a Microsoft executive.

Shot in the dark.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:13 am

Arkinesia wrote:
Vonners wrote:

I highly doubt a 19-year-old college student claiming the Kinect is the greatest thing ever is a Microsoft executive.

Shot in the dark.

I remember way back when Munich City Council were looking at a tech refresh. They had some pretty serious interest in some flavour of Linux which would have meant getting rid of all their MS commitments. A flying visit by Mr Ballmer and suddenly the Council stayed with MS...I'd have enjoyed being the fly on the wall on that one.

Still as it is MS are dying a slow death...and not even Xbox will get them out of that spiral.

Beach Boys
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Beach Boys » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:15 am

Vonners wrote:...

and Apple blah blah blah. and you forgot to mention that their leader could be dying. and Micro$oft. and more blah blah blah.

I'm so glad we aren't getting off the point. :p

Hubbard made it plain right back from the beginning that he wanted scientology to end up in control of the planet, even as far as making the laws. he claimed back in the 60s that he'd infiltrated the English government, and some outsiders laughed about that, until it came out that he'd also been infiltrating the American government and had even carried out espionage against it. that's a matter of court record. and now it turns out the scienos have been able to mess with other governments too.

So look at the other groups on the list. FLDS Church, Soka Gakkai, International Society for Krishna Consciousness, Raelism, Nation of Islam, and First Church of Christ, Scientist.

The FLDS mess up family life, make underage girls have sex and rough up ex-members and enemies.

Soka Gakkai would love to run Japan and have done ever since they were founded, and they use a few other religions that can make them look legit and they attack the rest because SGI is the only one that's any good. they even attack the rest of Buddhism and that's rare between Buddhists.

The Krishna Consciousness group has a weird history of trying to be the ultimate Hindus but they've attacked whole other sections of Hinduism as being godless dogs, their history in West Virginia includes weapons caches and murder, and they've had a long time problem with violence against women and children. and some of their celibates have been outed for sexually abusing children. and right now they're in chaos because some of them are trying to reform the group and others are trying to pretend nothing's wrong. doesn't it sound like a story we've heard before about somebody else?

Raelism is peddling aliens and pseudo-science. I don't know if they've dropped the orgies or not.

Nation of Islam - the Black Muslims - they made a mess of it didn't they? started as a twisted shell of real Islam, almost got straight, and then went haywire again. and always it's about politics not just about God. but they're nothing like the worst version of Islam (they're hardly a version of it at all). they're just the version of Islam we notice most here because they're big on our soil.

Christian Scientists have been letting their members die from treatable diseases right from the beginning. including their kids. courts are finally putting a stop to some of it when it's reported to the cops or whoever but since they don't believe in doctors and hospitals, there's no counting on that. and all because they don't believe bad things are "real". right.

Now Scientology? they have all this and more. "family life" is whatever they want it to be. if you work for them, they'll tell you if and when you can see your family. I know people who've been sent to work on different continents from the rest of their family. and kids? kids are little adults. so parents are an option. the kids can be put in a scieno school instead. they take an official line against underage sex (or anything else that would get bad publicity), but as for roughing up ex-members and 'enemies', they make FLDS look like pacifists.

Scientology doesn't just want to run Japan or even us here in the US. they want it all. and Hubbard explained in his lectures that all religion is an 'implant' of fantasy images done to humans by the evil Xenu. of course that doesn't stop the scienos from masquerading as a 'religion' themselves. it's just another part of their hypocrisy when they pretend to want to cooperate with other religions. 'take over'. boys, the word you're looking for is 'take over'. and meanwhile, bits of the scieno 'religion' are stuff LRH stuck together from things like Aleister Crowley's satanism plus his own drug use.

The scienos really are hot against anything that gives them bad press. but all that aggression and nastiness, and the way people like Lisa McPherson were treated and are treated now, well, seems like the crime to them is getting caught and id'd as a scieno. and when people tried to reform the whole thing, they turned on them and attacked them. it's there in A Piece of Blue Sky.

The Raelians are just playing with aliens and pseudo-science. the scienos turned them into an art form. a very, very lucrative art form.

The remedy to the Nation of Islam is - and I know what we think of this here in the States - real Islam. but there's no 'real' version of Scientology to turn to for help. they destroy anybody and everybody that tries to talk from inside their weird world view, and they aim to take over everybody else.

And it's a dead heat between the Christian Scientists and Scientology for refusing needed medical treatment. Scientology just has better camoflage and tougher lawyers and private detectives to go after anybody that exposes them. you could ask Lisa McPherson and other people like her, but she can't answer anymore.

So basically, most of the problems you can find in any of those groups or other ones, Scientology has them. in spades. and the ones they don't have? well, nobody can do everything, can they?

You still want to talk about how bad Apple is? :rofl:
Last edited by Beach Boys on Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beach Boys

Al-Harakut al-Islami
Minister

Founded: Dec 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Harakut al-Islami » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:16 am

What about the KKK? They're Christian, right?
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Can you imagine how awkward that would be?

"Mom, Dad... I'm an owl."

"Wha... what?!"

"I know, I know. I..."

"Can you stop being an owl?"

"Mom, it's not a choice."

"NO SON OF MINE CAN BE AN OWL!"

"Dad! It's not even physically possible! Christ, how can you be racist against something you didn't know existed until 5 seconds ago?!"

"Do you have an owlfriend?"

"Yes Mom. His name is Damien."
NS's resident Islamist.

I'm a proud American, sweetheart. And a weeaboo and a brony.
I~ Use~ Tildes~ When~ I~ Write~

Check out my dA: http://sharpieinkedcupcakes.deviantart.com/

MEMBER OF THE COALITION OF PONYIST STATES~

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:19 am

Beach Boys wrote:
Vonners wrote:...

and Apple blah blah blah. and you forgot to mention that their leader could be dying. and Micro$oft. and more blah blah blah.
I'm so glad we aren't getting off the point. :p

Hubbard made it plain right back from the beginning that he wanted scientology to end up in control of the planet, even as far as making the laws. he claimed back in the 60s that he'd infiltrated the English government, and some outsiders laughed about that, until it came out that he'd also been infiltrating the American government and had even carried out espionage against it. that's a matter of court record. and now it turns out the scienos have been able to mess with other governments too.

So look at the other groups on the list. FLDS Church, Soka Gakkai, International Society for Krishna Consciousness, Raelism, Nation of Islam, and First Church of Christ, Scientist.

The FLDS mess up family life, make underage girls have sex and rough up ex-members and enemies.

Soka Gakkai would love to run Japan and have done ever since they were founded, and they use a few other religions that can make them look legit and they attack the rest because SGI is the only one that's any good. they even attack the rest of Buddhism and that's rare between Buddhists.

The Krishna Consciousness group has a weird history of trying to be the ultimate Hindus but they've attacked whole other sections of Hinduism as being godless dogs, their history in West Virginia includes weapons caches and murder, and they've had a long time problem with violence against women and children. and some of their celibates have been outed for sexually abusing children. and right now they're in chaos because some of them are trying to reform the group and others are trying to pretend nothing's wrong. doesn't it sound like a story we've heard before about somebody else?

Raelism is peddling aliens and pseudo-science. I don't know if they've dropped the orgies or not.

Nation of Islam - the Black Muslims - they made a mess of it didn't they? started as a twisted shell of real Islam, almost got straight, and then went haywire again. and always it's about politics not just about God. but they're nothing like the worst version of Islam (they're hardly a version of it at all). they're just the version of Islam we notice most here because they're big on our soil.

Christian Scientists have been letting their members die from treatable diseases right from the beginning. including their kids. courts are finally putting a stop to some of it when it's reported to the cops or whoever but since they don't believe in doctors and hospitals, there's no counting on that. and all because they don't believe bad things are "real". right.

Now Scientology? they have all this and more. "family life" is whatever they want it to be. if you work for them, they'll tell you if and when you can see your family. I know people who've been sent to work on different continents from the rest of their family. and kids? kids are little adults. so parents are an option. the kids can be put in a scieno school instead. they take an official line against underage sex (or anything else that would get bad publicity), but as for roughing up ex-members and 'enemies', they make FLDS look like pacifists.

Scientology doesn't just want to run Japan or even us here in the US. they want it all. and Hubbard explained in his lectures that all religion is an 'implant' of fantasy images done to humans by the evil Xenu. of course that doesn't stop the scienos from masquerading as a 'religion' themselves. it's just another part of their hypocrisy when they pretend to want to cooperate with other religions. 'take over'. boys, the word you're looking for is 'take over'. and meanwhile, bits of the scieno 'religion' are stuff LRH stuck together from things like Aleister Crowley's satanism plus his own drug use.

The scienos really are hot against anything that gives them bad press. but all that aggression and nastiness, and the way people like Lisa McPherson were treated and are treated now, well, seems like the crime to them is getting caught and id'd as a scieno. and when people tried to reform the whole thing, they turned on them and attacked them. it's there in A Piece of Blue Sky.

The Raelians are just playing with aliens and pseudo-science. the scienos turned them into an art form. a very, very lucrative art form.

The remedy to the Nation of Islam is - and I know what we think of this here in the States - real Islam. but there's no 'real' version of Scientology to turn to for help. they destroy anybody and everybody that tries to talk from inside their weird world view, and they aim to take over everybody else.

And it's a dead heat between the Christian Scientists and Scientology for refusing needed medical treatment. Scientology just has better camoflage and tougher lawyers and private detectives to go after anybody that exposes them. you could ask Lisa McPherson and other people like her, but she can't answer anymore.

So basically, most of the problems you can find in any of those groups or other ones, Scientology has them. in spades. and the ones they don't have? well, nobody can do everything, can they?

You still want to talk about how bad Apple is? :rofl:

however I did on both points but hey its all srs bznz huh?

yawn.

Conchobar Macnessa
Attaché

Founded: Feb 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Conchobar Macnessa » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:20 am

Banold wrote:
Sorry, but I cannot respect any church which asks people to pay a certain percentage of their income to be allowed to attend. That, my friend, is not a church but instead a corporation.

Gotchya, I agree. I attend an independent Baptist Church, and it doesn't coerce the faithful into tithing or donating ever. People give what they can when they want. The way it should be.

As I understand it, doesn't the mainstream LDS church require a 10% tithe from all income earning members?

I won't lie, it's a commandment from God. Sorry, we believe it's a commandment from God. Requirement? Not really. The Bishop (Pastor) pulls you in talks to you about it, says good job either way, is there a way we can help you tithe? No ok well do your best in the future, and you go on your merry. Our reasoning, God gave us all we have, we can at least give 10% of what we make. That goes to paying for schools, buildings, temples, welfare, etc.
...the hell kinda name did I pick for a nation??

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General