NATION

PASSWORD

Should England have its own parliament?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Should England have its own parliament?

No - England is already represented in the House of Commons
32%
No - Scotland/Wales/NI should lose their devolved bodies as well
18%
Yes - a devolved English Parliament is needed
19%
Yes - the Union must break up
31%

Total votes : 110

Jasarite
Envoy

Founded: Jul 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jasarite » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:45 am

I believe it is needed...but we won't get one. A pity. :(
We must not look at goblin men,
We must not buy their fruits:
Who knows upon what soil they fed
Their hungry thirsty roots?- Goblin Market-Christina Rosetti

Kington Langley
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kington Langley » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:46 am

--Europe-- wrote:Personally - a Federal Britain seems a better way than all the devolution. I now await the abuse...

No, you make a fair point, it would make the nationalists happier

But I do shout abuse at pro-Europeans :)
Last edited by Kington Langley on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nationality: British (English)
Political compass:
- Economic Left/Right: -4.25
- Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.69
Leader of the Commonwealth of Kington Langley
Founder of the Universal Broadcasting Union
View our extensive and informative collection of NSWiki articles
Our embassy programme here
Grand Duke: Thomas II
Prime Minister: Kevin Darling
Capital city: Kingsmouth
National anthem: Kington Langley Forever
Demonym: Kingtonian
WA status: Non-member

Breten (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Breten (Ancient) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:47 am

North Suran wrote:
Breten wrote:There's been reports done which suggest an English Parliament could save money. When I find the report I'll post it on here. We could reduce the amount of MPs for a start, and there are an obscene amount of MLAs for the population of Northern Ireland. Also, we could always scrap the Greater London Assembly.

You'd have to build a new parliament building (Scotland's cost around £300 million), which isn't wise, considering the post-recession climate and the current savage austerity measures. You'd have to create an entirely new framework for the English Parliament, complete with another layer of bureaucracy. You'd have to hold another set of elections to elect members. And on top of all this, we'd still have to pay for the UK Parliament, since it would still have reserved powers.

It certainly wouldn't save money.

But we've learnt from celtic devolution, so we could do it on the cheap. We could even use Westminster and scrap the House of Commons, and have a fully elected House of Lords deciding UK reserved matters. Its not about more politicians, its about different ones.

Breten (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Breten (Ancient) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 am

Kington Langley wrote:England has always been the dominant nation in the United Kingdom (several people think the UK and England are the same thing) and out of the 650 constituencies in the UK, 533 of these are English so if anything England is already over-represented. Creating a devolved English Parliament would only make it worse.

How are the English over-represented?

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:49 am

Breten wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:What are you saying here?

That English MPs are deliberately screwing over their constituents to garner support for their respective parties in Holyrood and Cardiff?

Not the "English MPs" but their parties. Why do you think parties in Wales/Scotland are making a big deal out of protecting them from the cuts...at the expense of the English taxpayer.

Parties in Cardiff and Holyrood are making a big deal out of protecting their respective electorates from the cuts because neither have Tory majorities and are both coming up for election shortly. It's little wonder that the SNP, Plaid Cymru and Scottish/Welsh Labour are haranguing the Tories, devolved or not.

Moreover, I don't see how this is a malicious plan to screw over the English taxpayer by MSPs and AMs.

England has suffered disproportionately from the cuts (although incidentally I agree with the cuts, just wish they were evenly distributed).

Could you provide evidence that England has suffered disproportionately from the cuts compared to Wales and/or Scotland?

Breten wrote:We could even use Westminster and scrap the House of Commons, and have a fully elected House of Lords deciding UK reserved matters. Its not about more politicians, its about different ones.

Why would you scrap the HoC?
Last edited by Chumblywumbly on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

DeusII
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby DeusII » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:51 am

Could Scotland or Wales really survive without England or the union? They should dissolve the other two assemblies.
Have you seen people acting suspiciously? They are probably a member of the Resistance. Contact your local State Security office immediately and do your duty to protect your home and family.
State Security
Northern Frontier Administration

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:51 am

Breten wrote:
North Suran wrote:You'd have to build a new parliament building (Scotland's cost around £300 million), which isn't wise, considering the post-recession climate and the current savage austerity measures. You'd have to create an entirely new framework for the English Parliament, complete with another layer of bureaucracy. You'd have to hold another set of elections to elect members. And on top of all this, we'd still have to pay for the UK Parliament, since it would still have reserved powers.

It certainly wouldn't save money.

But we've learnt from celtic devolution, so we could do it on the cheap.

The Scottish Parliament has 129 MSPs. An English Parliament would have around ten times as many members. There's no way it could be done "on the cheap" - especially since the English Democrats would demand nothing less than the Palace of Versailles or would otherwise complain that those evil Scots had a nicer parliament building than them.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:52 am

DeusII wrote:Could Scotland or Wales really survive without England or the union? They should dissolve the other two assemblies.

How are the two statements above connected?
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:52 am

North Suran wrote:...the English Democrats would demand nothing less than the Palace of Versailles or would otherwise complain that those evil Scots had a nicer parliament building than them.

It is rather spiffy on the inside.
Last edited by Chumblywumbly on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pesda
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pesda » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:53 am

DeusII wrote:Could Scotland or Wales really survive without England or the union?

Maybe with the help of the EU.
Last edited by Pesda on Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
St George of England wrote:
Pesda wrote:Alchohol has a funny taste
So does semen.
Professional Leaders wrote:
Neo-Sincostan wrote:Nah mate I live in Scotland. Or, as I dislike relating it to, the UK.
thats cool i like ireland
Interstellar Britannia wrote:And indeed, cavemen are fully capable of writing books. Have you heard of the Communist Manifesto perchance?
Green Ham wrote:
Pesda wrote:Making someone happy.

I advise lubricant if that's your objective. Or spit.
Kheil HaAvir wrote:i sleep with a poster above
Welsh speaking Plaid Cymru and SNP supporter.
Left -5.75 Lib -6.05
Why I voted for Plaid Cymru
Now a student... In England

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:53 am

Chumblywumbly wrote:
North Suran wrote:...the English Democrats would demand nothing less than the Palace of Versailles or would otherwise complain that those evil Scots had a nicer parliament building than them.

It is rather spiffy on the inside.

But it's God awful on the outside.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Breten (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Breten (Ancient) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:53 am

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:54 am

Breten wrote:http://www.thecep.org.uk/in-depth/england-disadvantaged/

You're going to need a more reliable source than "The Campaign for an English Parliament".

The Scandinavian Reich
Attaché

Founded: Nov 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Scandinavian Reich » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:55 am

I was born in England (I have joint British/Swedish nationality), and since I am nearing the age to vote, I'd love to see a little more pressure put on the Government to grant an English parliament. Personally, I think the Union is useless and I'd love to see England as an independent nation!

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:55 am

North Suran wrote:But it's God awful on the outside.

Hell's, yeah.

Completely misplaced design in the middle of the Old Town.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:59 am

Chumblywumbly wrote:
North Suran wrote:But it's God awful on the outside.

Hell's, yeah.

Completely misplaced design in the middle of the Old Town.

The most irritating thing is that Scotland already had a parliament building, which housed the Three Estates in the Kingdom of Scotland. But out of what I can only assume to be nationalist dick-waving, we had to spend millions on some Iberian monstrosity.

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 am

North Suran wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:The most irritating thing is that Scotland already had a parliament building, which housed the Three Estates in the Kingdom of Scotland. But out of what I can only assume to be nationalist dick-waving, we had to spend millions on some Iberian monstrosity.

IIRC, it had more to do with Donald Dewar.

Pesda
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pesda » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:03 am

Have you ever thought that England needs less spending than Scot, NI and Wal? England has the stongest economy, and therefore needs less spending in this area. Also as mentioned above, this isn't exactly unbiased.
St George of England wrote:
Pesda wrote:Alchohol has a funny taste
So does semen.
Professional Leaders wrote:
Neo-Sincostan wrote:Nah mate I live in Scotland. Or, as I dislike relating it to, the UK.
thats cool i like ireland
Interstellar Britannia wrote:And indeed, cavemen are fully capable of writing books. Have you heard of the Communist Manifesto perchance?
Green Ham wrote:
Pesda wrote:Making someone happy.

I advise lubricant if that's your objective. Or spit.
Kheil HaAvir wrote:i sleep with a poster above
Welsh speaking Plaid Cymru and SNP supporter.
Left -5.75 Lib -6.05
Why I voted for Plaid Cymru
Now a student... In England

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:07 am

Chumblywumbly wrote:
North Suran wrote:The most irritating thing is that Scotland already had a parliament building, which housed the Three Estates in the Kingdom of Scotland. But out of what I can only assume to be nationalist dick-waving, we had to spend millions on some Iberian monstrosity.

IIRC, it had more to do with Donald Dewar.

"Father of the Nation", indeed.
Last edited by North Suran on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Breten (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Breten (Ancient) » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:08 am

Pesda wrote:

Have you ever thought that England needs less spending than Scot, NI and Wal? England has the stongest economy, and therefore needs less spending in this area. Also as mentioned above, this isn't exactly unbiased.

So its fair that English students have to pay £9k a year and Scottish ones don't?

Georgism
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:10 am

Breten wrote:So its fair that English students have to pay £9k a year and Scottish ones don't?

Does it come out of the existing Scottish budget?
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:10 am

Breten wrote:
Pesda wrote:Have you ever thought that England needs less spending than Scot, NI and Wal? England has the stongest economy, and therefore needs less spending in this area. Also as mentioned above, this isn't exactly unbiased.

So its fair that English students have to pay £9k a year and Scottish ones don't?

That's because the SNP - which presently runs Scotland - is opposed to tuition fees while the Conservative Party - which presently controls a majority of the English constituencies - isn't. If the Scottish Parliament was controlled by the Tories, you can bet your ass that they would reintroduce tuition fees. This is a matter of ideology, not vindictiveness.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 am

Georgism wrote:
Breten wrote:So its fair that English students have to pay £9k a year and Scottish ones don't?

Does it come out of the existing Scottish budget?

Education is devolved in Scotland, so I imagine so.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 am

I think devolved issues for Sco/Wal/NI should be voted on by English MPs only. Of course, instead of building fancy new Parliaments and Assemblies, we could just have devolved powers to the party of MPs from each nation- but apparently no. That wouldn't have cost enough.

However, I do worry about devolution in general. It seems now, with the Welsh Assembly (Lab/Plaid, with Con/LD in opposition) deciding to pay for all the extra tuition fees for Welsh students- which is a totally useless and unproductive move that will only serve to increase the Assembly's expenditure, that devolved governments are generally oriented at taking a jab at the Westminster government (when the devolved authority and Westminster have different governments), regardless of whether they make fiscal sense. The idea of what are, despite the rise of the SNP in Scotland in the last decade- one which has seen nothing but attacks on Labour in Westminster, Labourland Autonomous Regions being created is to my mind corroborated by the fact that Labour tried to give North-East England an Assembly.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Georgism
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 am

North Suran wrote:
Georgism wrote:Does it come out of the existing Scottish budget?

Education is devolved in Scotland, so I imagine so.

Then yes, it's fair.
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General