NATION

PASSWORD

Ron Pauls economic solution? A Southern Secessionist.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:30 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I knew you would say that, I really did.

Okay, how about the Gold Standard Act of 1900? You still have to explain away everything in my list from 1902 on.

Not what I advocate.

EDIT: nor had anything correlation with the depression.

So, what do you advocate? A link to where you advocated it is fine. As for the Depression, all I'm saying is, if a gold-backed currency is so stable, as Altamirus said, and we went onto a gold standard either in 1879 or 1900, where did all those ups and downs come from?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:31 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Indeed.

The US went onto the gold standard in 1879, and you know what happened?

- the recession of 1882 - 1885
- the recession of 1887 - 1888
- the recession of 1890 - 1891
- the panic of 1893
- the panic of 1896
- the recession of 1899 - 1900
- the recession of 1902 - 1904
- the panic of 1907
- the panic of 1910 - 1911
- the recession of 1913 - 1914
- the recession of 1918 - 1919
- the depression of 1920 - 1921
- the recession of 1923 - 1924
- the recession of 1926 - 1927

And then there was 1929. Shouldn't a "more inherently stable" currency have prevented all of that?

That was not a "true" gold standard. It was distorted and nothing like what RP advocates. Also once again the gold standard has nothing to do with the business cycle. Well it effects the purchasing power of the people but thats it. The business cycle has its roots in banking.

Ok so what the frack is a "true" gold standard?
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:32 pm

The Black Forrest wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:That was not a "true" gold standard. It was distorted and nothing like what RP advocates. Also once again the gold standard has nothing to do with the business cycle. Well it effects the purchasing power of the people but thats it. The business cycle has its roots in banking.

It's like a "free market," we've never had one. Or like one of those weird elements that only exist for 0.00005 seconds in the lab, but all the math works out okay.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Indeed.

The US went onto the gold standard in 1879, and you know what happened?

- the recession of 1882 - 1885
- the recession of 1887 - 1888
- the recession of 1890 - 1891
- the panic of 1893
- the panic of 1896
- the recession of 1899 - 1900
- the recession of 1902 - 1904
- the panic of 1907
- the panic of 1910 - 1911
- the recession of 1913 - 1914
- the recession of 1918 - 1919
- the depression of 1920 - 1921
- the recession of 1923 - 1924
- the recession of 1926 - 1927

And then there was 1929. Shouldn't a "more inherently stable" currency have prevented all of that?

That was not a "true" gold standard. It was distorted and nothing like what RP advocates. Also once again the gold standard has nothing to do with the business cycle. Well it effects the purchasing power of the people but thats it. The business cycle has its roots in banking.

Am I not mistaken that 1880-1895ish we were on a Bimettalic currency?

Really it doesn't matter to me, I'd say the mere fact that humanity was on the gold standard since the dawn of markets and that fiat currency historically has quickly failed is enough to say something, Modern markets keep the fiat only because of the constant increase of wealth matching the rise of inflation.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Mercator Terra
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:

It's like a "free market," we've never had one. Or like one of those weird elements that only exist for 0.00005 seconds in the lab, but all the math works out okay.

http://mises.org/rothbard/100percent.pdf
Took me no longer then 3 hours to read it. That would pretty much sum it up. (I dont see a point in doing a poor job at paraphrasing Rothbard's work so I'll just suggest you to the man himself)
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.
but maybe a equal market would lead to a free society.

A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither.

Amoral Stirnerite Individualist Market Anarchist

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:44 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:That was not a "true" gold standard. It was distorted and nothing like what RP advocates. Also once again the gold standard has nothing to do with the business cycle. Well it effects the purchasing power of the people but thats it. The business cycle has its roots in banking.

Am I not mistaken that 1880-1895ish we were on a Bimettalic currceny?

Really it doesn't matter to me, I'd say the mere fact that humanity was on the gold standard since the dawn of markets and that fiat currency historically has quickly failed is enough to say something, Modern markets keep the fiat only because of the constant increase of wealth matching the rise of inflation.

I do believe it was.
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It's like a "free market," we've never had one. Or like one of those weird elements that only exist for 0.00005 seconds in the lab, but all the math works out okay.

http://mises.org/rothbard/100percent.pdf
Took me no longer then 3 hours to read it. That would pretty much sum it up. (I dont see a point in doing a poor job at paraphrasing Rothbard's work so I'll just suggest you to the man himself)

Nope, I'm not giving you or von Mises three hours of my life. Summarize away.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:

Am I not mistaken that 1880-1895ish we were on a Bimettalic currency?

But in 1900 we went onto just gold. Like I said to Mercator, what about all the ups and downs after then?

Acapais
Secretary

Founded: Jan 30, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Acapais » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:48 pm

If Ron Paul wanted to succeed from the Union, I'd follow him in a heart-beat.
WC35 First Round - CoH32 Champions - BoF65 Semifinalists

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:49 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:http://mises.org/rothbard/100percent.pdf

he seems to want the dollar to be fixed to a certain weight of gold. 1/20 of an oz is mentioned but would obviously not be right for today. today it would have to be something like 1/1000th of a oz. but then do we have enough gold reserves to cover our entire economy. and more importantly what difference does it make if i cant demand actual gold in exchange for my paper money?

but i only skimmed the first few pages so i may be wrong.
whatever

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:50 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:http://mises.org/rothbard/100percent.pdf

Mises didnt write it. Im not going to waste my time if you wont read it. God forbid you read a opposing arguments view.... :roll: Read the wikipedia article
Vecherd wrote:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:50 pm

Acapais wrote:If Ron Paul wanted to succeed from the Union, I'd follow him in a heart-beat.

And you have a heart on your flag, how appropriate. Well, don't for get to write. Oh, and it's "secede," by the way.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:52 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Nope, I'm not giving you or von Mises three hours of my life. Summarize away.

he seems to want the dollar to be fixed to a certain weight of gold. 1/20 of an oz is mentioned but would obviously not be right for today. today it would have to be something like 1/1000th of a oz. but then do we have enough gold reserves to cover our entire economy. and more importantly what difference does it make if i cant demand actual gold in exchange for my paper money?

Basically he wants banks to create gold dollar to compete with the dollar we already have. He gives a ratio and a basic set up on how it would go farther into the book.
Vecherd wrote:

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
The Merchant Republics wrote:Am I not mistaken that 1880-1895ish we were on a Bimettalic currency?

But in 1900 we went onto just gold. Like I said to Mercator, what about all the ups and downs after then?

Has nothing to do with gold and has more to do with artificially low interest rates and risky investments.
Vecherd wrote:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:55 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:he seems to want the dollar to be fixed to a certain weight of gold. 1/20 of an oz is mentioned but would obviously not be right for today. today it would have to be something like 1/1000th of a oz. but then do we have enough gold reserves to cover our entire economy. and more importantly what difference does it make if i cant demand actual gold in exchange for my paper money?

Basically he wants banks to create gold dollar to compete with the dollar we already have. He gives a ratio and a basic set up on how it would go farther into the book.

The Gold Standard Act of the United States was passed in 1900 (approved on March 14) and established gold as the only standard for redeeming paper money, stopping bimetallism (which had allowed silver in exchange for gold). It was signed by President William McKinley.
The Act fixed the value of the dollar at 25 8⁄10 grains of gold at 90% purity, equivalent to 23.22 grains (1.5046 grams) of pure gold.
The Gold Standard Act confirmed the nation's commitment to the gold standard by assigning gold a specific dollar value (just over $20.67 per Troy ounce). This took place after McKinley sent a team to Europe to try to figure out a silver agreement with France and Great Britain.

So, we did that in 1900 and the economy was just as up and down as it had been in the last quarter of the preceding century. Why wasn't it a straight shot to the moon?

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:he seems to want the dollar to be fixed to a certain weight of gold. 1/20 of an oz is mentioned but would obviously not be right for today. today it would have to be something like 1/1000th of a oz. but then do we have enough gold reserves to cover our entire economy. and more importantly what difference does it make if i cant demand actual gold in exchange for my paper money?

oh we really dont need bank dollars floating around out there.
whatever

Acapais
Secretary

Founded: Jan 30, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Acapais » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:59 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Acapais wrote:If Ron Paul wanted to succeed from the Union, I'd follow him in a heart-beat.

And you have a heart on your flag, how appropriate. Well, don't for get to write. Oh, and it's "secede," by the way.
Rats, thanks for correcting me.
WC35 First Round - CoH32 Champions - BoF65 Semifinalists

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:00 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:If the League of the South is such a respectable group AND Thomas DiLorenzo is an honorable or credible speaker, why is DiLorenzo vehemently denying his proven affiliation with the League of the South?

Probably because of all the bad connotations the come along with it. Or the SPLC could just be lying about his activity...

What bad connotations? I thought there was nothing wrong with it?

As to the SPLC lying, there are links in the articles I posted verifying the claims. Among the links already provided, documents currently on the LOS website lists (7p pdf, see pp. 6-7) DiLorenzo as a speaker at their 2009 League of the South Summer Institute in Tennessee and identifies him as "an affiliated scholar of the League of the South Institute & the Abbeville Institute."

FYI, the Abbeville Institute is another neo-Confederalist organization and DiLorezo is an associated scholar.

DiLorenzo's work with the League of the South has commonly been cited among his credentials:
http://www.learnoutloud.com/Free-Audio- ... ures/15236
http://getglue.com/topics/p/thomas_dilorenzo
http://www.thedailybell.com/1053/Thomas ... story.html (interview with DiLorenzo)
http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/never- ... 009/07/02/ (article by DiLorenzo listing his credentials at bottom)

Other sources back up DiLorenzo's ties to the League of the South and other neo-Confederate groups:
http://www.vermontguardian.com/local/02 ... ists.shtml
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Dilorenzo
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:01 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Basically he wants banks to create gold dollar to compete with the dollar we already have. He gives a ratio and a basic set up on how it would go farther into the book.

The Gold Standard Act of the United States was passed in 1900 (approved on March 14) and established gold as the only standard for redeeming paper money, stopping bimetallism (which had allowed silver in exchange for gold). It was signed by President William McKinley.
The Act fixed the value of the dollar at 25 8⁄10 grains of gold at 90% purity, equivalent to 23.22 grains (1.5046 grams) of pure gold.
The Gold Standard Act confirmed the nation's commitment to the gold standard by assigning gold a specific dollar value (just over $20.67 per Troy ounce). This took place after McKinley sent a team to Europe to try to figure out a silver agreement with France and Great Britain.

So, we did that in 1900 and the economy was just as up and down as it had been in the last quarter of the preceding century. Why wasn't it a straight shot to the moon?

Nope
Vecherd wrote:

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:03 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Probably because of all the bad connotations the come along with it. Or the SPLC could just be lying about his activity...

As to the SPLC lying, there are links in the articles I posted verifying the claims. Among the links already provided, documents currently on the LOS website lists (7p pdf, see pp. 6-7) DiLorenzo as a speaker at their 2009 League of the South Summer Institute in Tennessee and identifies him as "an affiliated scholar of the League of the South Institute & the Abbeville Institute."

FYI, the Abbeville Institute is another neo-Confederalist organization and DiLorezo is an associated scholar.

DiLorenzo's work with the League of the South has commonly been cited among his credentials:
http://www.thedailybell.com/1053/Thomas ... story.html (interview with DiLorenzo)
http://www.dailyreckoning.com.au/never- ... 009/07/02/ (article by DiLorenzo listing his credentials at bottom)

Other sources back up DiLorenzo's ties to the League of the South and other neo-Confederate groups:

I know he is part of it. I see nothing wrong with them. Heck Suthron Nation who is a mulatto knows the director of the LOS and is good freinds with them. Why DiLorenzo doesnt talk about it I dont know but the SPLC labeling them has a hate group might have something to do with it.
Vecherd wrote:

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:03 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Probably because of all the bad connotations the come along with it. Or the SPLC could just be lying about his activity...
The SPLC is a corrupt and dying organization in and of itself, unfortunately.
When I was a teenager I actually signed up for a newsletter from the LoS(I was looking "rebellious" to join), they're actually kind of dumb as hell, like, one of the things they bitched about was how fewer people were saying "Coke" for all flavour of sodas than there used to be. Like it was some sort of cultural thing to protect.

All in all, that he joined the group after his teenage years makes me doubt his intelligence.

Explain please, as this is not true to my knowledge.
I quit (again).
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

I know he is part of it. I see nothing wrong with them. Heck Suthron Nation who is a mulatto knows the director of the LOS and is good freinds with them. Why DiLorenzo doesnt talk about it I dont know but the SPLC labeling them has a hate group might have something to do with it.

Southron is Cobhanglia, is he?

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:09 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:I know he is part of it. I see nothing wrong with them. Heck Suthron Nation who is a mulatto knows the director of the LOS and is good freinds with them. Why DiLorenzo doesnt talk about it I dont know but the SPLC labeling them has a hate group might have something to do with it.

Southron is Cobhanglia, is he?

Quite possibly but I wouldnt know
Vecherd wrote:

Sociobiology
Post Marshal

Founded: Aug 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sociobiology » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 pm

Banold wrote:Most commodities on Earth are subject to human whim and fancies. Gold is a rare mineral in that it has value based on it's very rarity and scarcity. It's value is based on the physical amount located here on planet Earth. Not whether it's shiny and pretty.

No human can increase the amount of physical Au lying around. It's literally physically aside from human emotions. That's why it's value is innate and intrinsic.

gold is subject to the same fluctutions as any other commodity, the price is based on the amout of available gold, in other words mine more and you change the amount of gold.
then of course you have what happens when we mine our first asteroid. The AMUN asteroid has more gold in it than has been produced by all of human history combined. It is also in a perfect position to be mined.

by your logic we could base our economy on lead, granite, or chalk and it would be just as stable.
now that it has real economic uses, gold is just another metal.
I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance. ~Reuben Blades

I got quite annoyed after the Haiti earthquake. A baby was taken from the wreckage and people said it was a miracle. It would have been a miracle had God stopped the earthquake. More wonderful was that a load of evolved monkeys got together to save the life of a child that wasn't theirs. ~Terry Pratchett

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

If you "know [DiLorenzo] is part of [the League of the South]," why did you just post the SPLC might be lying about that?

Also, I love the apologistic gymnastics you are trying to go through to cover up the central point I made: DiLorenzo is a liar. Your own admission contradicts his statements. Why should we trust anything he says when he prominently denies the truth?
I quit (again).

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General