NATION

PASSWORD

Ron Pauls economic solution? A Southern Secessionist.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Probably because of all the bad connotations the come along with it. Or the SPLC could just be lying about his activity...

The SPLC is a corrupt and dying organization in and of itself, unfortunately.

When I was a teenager I actually signed up for a newsletter from the LoS(I was looking "rebellious" to join), they're actually kind of dumb as hell, like, one of the things they bitched about was how fewer people were saying "Coke" for all flavour of sodas than there used to be. Like it was some sort of cultural thing to protect.

All in all, that he joined the group after his teenage years makes me doubt his intelligence.

What people are not calling over flavors of SODA COKE ??? To arms I say to arms!!!
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:16 pm

greed and death wrote:
Maurepas wrote:The SPLC is a corrupt and dying organization in and of itself, unfortunately.

When I was a teenager I actually signed up for a newsletter from the LoS(I was looking "rebellious" to join), they're actually kind of dumb as hell, like, one of the things they bitched about was how fewer people were saying "Coke" for all flavour of sodas than there used to be. Like it was some sort of cultural thing to protect.

All in all, that he joined the group after his teenage years makes me doubt his intelligence.

What people are not calling over flavors of SODA COKE ??? To arms I say to arms!!!

Seriously, lols.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:44 pm

The Southron Nation wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:you really should pay attention, the post is self explanatory.

Not everyone worships at the altar of the SPLC.

the post is still self explanatory.
whatever

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:46 pm

Maurepas wrote:
greed and death wrote:What people are not calling over flavors of SODA COKE ??? To arms I say to arms!!!

Seriously, lols.

I think my Satire gets better when I am drunk.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:47 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:Is this not an ad hominem? Neither Mr. Dilorenzo or the House was discussing Southern Secession, so bringing it up smacks of just trying to discredit him based on him holding an unrelated unorthodox belief. I don't see the purpose of the criticism is all. Holding a single odd belief does not violate your other beliefs.

I don't think it says anything about his economic policies if he thinks that the Civil War was illegitimate, no more then believing the moon landing was faked discredits you from advising on Heart Surgery.

i dont think you are allowed to make this much sense in this thread.
whatever

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Probably because of all the bad connotations the come along with it. Or the SPLC could just be lying about his activity...

The SPLC is a corrupt and dying organization in and of itself, unfortunately.

why do you call it corrupt?
whatever

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Rolamec wrote:Good, another reason to dislike Ron Paul.

Yes, but there's Rand Paul. The very name makes me question reality.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Zephie wrote:
Takaram wrote:
Are you saying he's right? Because honestly, I'd rather not change a thing than go with what Ron Paul is saying. If his argument was the only one available, I would still dismiss it because of it's flaws.

90% of the time no one here even reads what the man has to say, they just like to hate on him because the television said so.

Bullshit, but thanks for the fertilizer. This is NSG, not Fox.
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Takaram wrote:
Zephie wrote:90% of the time no one here even reads what the man has to say, they just like to hate on him because the television said so.

Ergo all arguments against him are wrong? No. I disagree with his plan to attach the dollar to a gold standard because gold is even more volatile than the dollar is right now, and the gold standard didn't stop the Great Depression or any number of earlier recessions.

And in fact, exacerbated it. Every nation who wasn't on the gold standard wasn't much affected by the Great Depression, and those who abandoned it recovered very quickly (England, for example).

Their fan clubs do.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Takaram wrote:
Ergo all arguments against him are wrong? No. I disagree with his plan to attach the dollar to a gold standard because gold is even more volatile than the dollar is right now, and the gold standard didn't stop the Great Depression or any number of earlier recessions.

And in fact, exacerbated it. Every nation who wasn't on the gold standard wasn't much affected by the Great Depression, and those who abandoned it recovered very quickly (England, for example).

Orly... Its funny because the gold standard back then wasnt even the kind of gold standard RP is supporting. Not to mention the gold standard does no cause the business cycle.
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.
but maybe a equal market would lead to a free society.

A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither.

Amoral Stirnerite Individualist Market Anarchist

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Zephie wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:Nah, it means that he supports stable currency and a functional economy.

Oh, that's why so many people are unemployed. Got it.

More were unemployed during the Great Depression, but hey.

Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Zephie wrote:
Banold wrote:
Ron Paul wants to abolish the IRS and have sound objective money again. Not a Southern Succession.

People that support the system that puts them in jail if they don't pay their ridiculous amount of taxes and steals money from them on the regular basis in the form of inflation have a serious case of stockholm syndrome in my opinion.

My effective tax rate is 10%. Not ridiculous. Next argument?

Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:58 pm

Banold wrote:
Why do you hate our economy?

Because our money is fake. The economy is full of regulation, subsidies, manipulated markets, fractional reserve banking fraud, and taxes.

I hate all these things.

Do you hate them more than unregulated and unabashedly fraudulent laissez-faire capitalism? 'Cause the fleecing will only get deeper and harder if regulation is pared away to nil.

Their fan clubs do.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Banold wrote:
Because our money is fake. The economy is full of regulation, subsidies, manipulated markets, fractional reserve banking fraud, and taxes.

I hate all these things.

Do you hate them more than unregulated and unabashedly fraudulent laissez-faire capitalism? 'Cause the fleecing will only get deeper and harder if regulation is pared away to nil.

laissez faire is a great thing
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Zephie wrote:
Wamitoria wrote:NO! 10 American Dollars is always worth 10 American Dollars!

10 dollars is always worth 10 dollars but a dollar isn't always worth the same.

PSST! Neither is an ounce of gold.

Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Banold wrote:
Yes, it does.

Actually, if our money were based on gold or silver then the unit of measurement would be objective and standard. Meaning the value of a dollar would be it's weight in gold, which is actually what the word dollar means.

I stopped there, because I didn't know that "Joachimsthaler" meant "worth its weight in gold" in Middle German. :roll:

Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:03 pm

Banold wrote:No human can increase the amount of physical Au lying around. It's literally physically aside from human emotions. That's why it's value is innate and intrinsic.

Intrinsic? Seriously? Then why aren't we paying for things in chits of praseodymium? Rarity isn't the point. You think gold doesn't elicit or flow on emotion? Then what was all the fighting over claims about? Give me a break. It's about as aside from human emotion as A is aside from B.

Their fan clubs do.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Zephie wrote:
Altamirus wrote:That's what I was pointing out. Gold is inherently more stable than non mineral backed currency because it can't be mass produced and it has an actual value besides what a government says it's worth.

That and what happened to the Germans wouldn't be able to happen to us. Economy collapses, fiat money is worth nothing.

Likely not, but with a finite amount around, how do you propose the economy grow? Why do you hate freedom?

Their fan clubs do.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Zephie wrote:That and what happened to the Germans wouldn't be able to happen to us. Economy collapses, fiat money is worth nothing.

Likely not, but with a finite amount around, how do you propose the economy grow? Why do you hate freedom?

lolwhat?
Vecherd wrote:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Intangelon wrote:
Zephie wrote:That and what happened to the Germans wouldn't be able to happen to us. Economy collapses, fiat money is worth nothing.

Indeed.

The US went onto the gold standard in 1879, and you know what happened?

- the recession of 1882 - 1885
- the recession of 1887 - 1888
- the recession of 1890 - 1891
- the panic of 1893
- the panic of 1896
- the recession of 1899 - 1900
- the recession of 1902 - 1904
- the panic of 1907
- the panic of 1910 - 1911
- the recession of 1913 - 1914
- the recession of 1918 - 1919
- the depression of 1920 - 1921
- the recession of 1923 - 1924
- the recession of 1926 - 1927

And then there was 1929. Shouldn't a "more inherently stable" currency have prevented all of that?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Zephie wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
So what's the purpose of having that quack as a witness for the committee on monetary policy?

You'd have to ask Paul. He probably liked something he had to say, but when his mouth opened just crap spat out and they tried to make it sound like it's what Paul believes in.

Wait -- you mean it ISN'T fair to paint someone with the same brush as you might paint people with whom that person associates with? Shit, there go the GOP's chances in 2012.

Their fan clubs do.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Intangelon wrote:Likely not, but with a finite amount around, how do you propose the economy grow? Why do you hate freedom?

Indeed.

- the panic of 1893
- the panic of 1896
- the panic of 1907

And then there was 1929. Shouldn't a "more inherently stable" currency have prevented all of that?

what was the basis of our currency before 1879?
whatever

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Intangelon wrote:Likely not, but with a finite amount around, how do you propose the economy grow? Why do you hate freedom?

Indeed.

- the panic of 1893
- the panic of 1896
- the panic of 1907

That was not a "true" gold standard. It was distorted and nothing like what RP advocates. Also once again the gold standard has nothing to do with the business cycle. Well it effects the purchasing power of the people but thats it. The business cycle has its roots in banking.
Vecherd wrote:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:24 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Indeed.

- the panic of 1893
- the panic of 1896
- the panic of 1907

That was not a "true" gold standard. It was distorted and nothing like what RP advocates. Also once again the gold standard has nothing to do with the business cycle. Well it effects the purchasing power of the people but thats it. The business cycle has its roots in banking.

I knew you would say that, I really did.

Okay, how about the Gold Standard Act of 1900? You still have to explain away everything in my list from 1902 on.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:26 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:That was not a "true" gold standard. It was distorted and nothing like what RP advocates. Also once again the gold standard has nothing to do with the business cycle. Well it effects the purchasing power of the people but thats it. The business cycle has its roots in banking.

I knew you would say that, I really did.

Okay, how about the Gold Standard Act of 1900? You still have to explain away everything in my list from 1902 on.

Not what I advocate.

EDIT: nor had anything correlation with the depression.
Last edited by Mercator Terra on Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vecherd wrote:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General