NATION

PASSWORD

Ron Pauls economic solution? A Southern Secessionist.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

BTW, DiLorenzo is lying in denying LOS/neo-Confed links

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:40 pm

Back to the OP topic, DiLorenzo has responded to the truth about his neo-Confederate views and links to the League of the South by calling Congress a group of "Liars, Bigots, and Murderers" and claiming his only connection to the LOS was his giving one lecture to a group of students "about thirteen years ago." (Southron Nations provided an audio link making such claims earlier and here is a written piece.)

DiLorenzo is lying.

The Dallas Morning News wrote:Neo-Confederate economist at Ron Paul's Fed hearing
12:27 PM Thu, Feb 10, 2011
Todd J. Gillman/Reporter

Texas Rep. Ron Paul intended his first hearing as chair of a House subcommittee to showcase one of his complaints about the Federal Reserve - that central planning of the money supply makes unemployment worse, by creating booms that inevitably lead to recessions worse than would otherwise occur.

The hearing did do that. But that was overshadowed somewhat when Democrats noted that Paul's star witnesses, Thomas DiLorenzo, an economist at Loyola University in Baltimore, has called Abraham Lincoln a "dictator" and "mass murderer" - and has links to a neo-Confederate group called League of the South.

The League seeks a Southern breakaway nation led by "European-Americans."

To hear DiLorenzo tell it, linking him to the League is defamation. His only connection, he told the DMN, is that he lectured to some League members "15 years ago" at the invitation of an Emory University professor, and didn't even realize they were League members. He did concede, though, that he sympathizes with anyone who wants to secede from a government they disagree with, be they Southerners in the USA or Soviet Republics under the USSR.

His dismissal of any substantive link don't square with material collected by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which views the League as a hate group.

Issues of the "Southern Patriot" - the League's newsletter - describe DiLorenzo as a lecturer at its 2001 summer school and 2002 national conference. The League also sold tapes of his lectures.

In late 2000, he authored a front-page essay for the League's Alabama affiliate about vote fraud; its newsletter identified him as a League member.

And in 2005, DiLorenzo authored an essay defending the League.

Heidi Beirich, research director at the Southern Poverty Law Center, called it "appalling... for a congressman to bring someone in from a group that has these kinds of hate views."

Paul said he didn't know about DiLorenzo's involvement with the League and said Democrats only attacked to deflect attention from the substance of the Fed critique.

Southern Poverty Law Center wrote:Ron Paul Invites Neo-Confederate Witness to Testify in Congress
Posted in Neo-Confederate by Heidi Beirich on February 9, 2011

This morning, U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) hosted his first hearing as chairman of the House subcommittee that oversees the Federal Reserve, the nation’s central bank. Paul wants to look at the institution’s impact on job creation and the unemployment rate. Paul, a vicious opponent of the Fed, in the past has called for its abolition.

One of the witnesses invited to testify was Thomas DiLorenzo, a longtime activist in the neo-Confederate hate group, League of the South (LOS). The LOS advocates for a second Southern secession and a society dominated by “Anglo-Celts” – that is, white people. LOS leaders have called slavery “God-ordained” and described segregation as necessary to the racial “integrity” of black and white alike. DiLorenzo also is an economics professor at Baltimore’s Loyola College.

According to the Washington Post, “when Paul opened up the hearing to questions from committee members, Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.) directly took on DiLorenzo for his membership in the League of the South,” pointing to the designation of the LOS as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. Clay also cited DiLorenzo’s many revisionist works about the Civil War and Lincoln, including “More Lies about the Civil War,” “In Defense of Sedition,” and “The First Dictator-President,” which examines “how Lincoln’s myth has corrupted America.”
“After reviewing your work and the so-called methods you employ, I still cannot understand you being invited to testify today on the unemployment crisis, but I do know that I have no questions for you,” Clay concluded.

DiLorenzo has a long history with the LOS. His essays have appeared in the group’s publications, and he was identified as a member in a 2000 issue of its Southern Events. DiLorenzo spoke at the LOS’ 2002 conference and that year’s Southern Heritage Conference, hosted by longtime LOS leader Steve Wilkins. DiLorenzo was listed for years, up until at least late 2009, as an “affiliated scholar” at the League’s Institute for the Study of Southern Culture, dedicated to ending any furtherance of the idea “that the commercial value of slavery was the cause of the war.”

DiLorenzo has other extremist connections. He has spoken at events that included other hate group members, and has been published by neo-Confederate outfits. In 1995, he wrote an essay entitled “A Defense of the Confederate Cause” published in the Journal for Historical Review, a Holocaust denial publication. It argues that “slavery was not one of the rationales” for the Civil War. “Since the battle flag represents a fight against high taxes and centralized government, every freedom-loving American should honor it,” DiLorenzo’s essay concludes.

Though trained as an economist, DiLorenzo’s life work appears to be rewriting the history of the Civil War and Lincoln’s role in it. DiLorenzo argues Lincoln was a paragon of wickedness, whose secret intent was to destroy states’ rights and build a massive federal government. “It was not to end slavery that Lincoln initiated an invasion of the South,” DiLorenzo writes in his 2002 attack on the 16th president, entitled, The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War. “A war was not necessary to free the slaves, but it was necessary to destroy the most significant check on the powers of the central government: the right of secession.”

In addition to his position at Loyola, DiLorenzo is a senior faculty member of the Ludwig von Mises Institute, a hard-right libertarian foundation in Auburn, Ala. In 2003, LewRockwell.com, a Web site run by Von Mises Institute President Llewellyn Rockwell that at the time included a “King Lincoln” section, hosted a “Lincoln Reconsidered” conference in Richmond, Va., starring DiLorenzo. The conference became a bit of a road show, reappearing around the South and headlined by DiLorenzo.

Ron Paul has connections to von Mises as well. When several of Paul’s newsletters from the 1980s and 1990s were found to include bigoted rhetoric about African Americans and gays, Paul claimed not to know who wrote them. But in 2008, Reason Magazine fingered the culprit: Paul’s chief ghostwriter was none other than von Mises founder Rockwell, who had earlier served as Paul’s chief of staff. To this day, the institute runs Paul’s commentaries and, according to Reason, “Rockwell remains a friend and advisor to Paul.”

Update: This morning DiLorenzo posted an angry screed in which he described Congressman Clay as “sleazy” and claimed he had “lied about my non-existent working relationship with the League of the South.” DiLorenzo says that his last interaction with the League was 13 years ago. So it is somewhat ironic, or perhaps hypocritical, that the League has DiLorenzo listed as a speaker at a 2009 League of the South Summer Institute on what is a favored topic of DiLorenzo’s, “Lincoln Reconsidered.”
I quit (again).
The Altani Confederacy wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
"Don't give me no shit because . . . I've been Tired . . ." ~ Pixies
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Mercator Terra
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:42 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:Back to the OP topic, DiLorenzo has responded to the truth about his neo-Confederate views and links to the League of the South by calling Congress a group of "Liars, Bigots, and Murderers" and claiming his only connection to the LOS was his giving one lecture to a group of students "about thirteen years ago." (Southron Nations provided an audio link making such claims earlier and here is a written piece.)

DiLorenzo is lying.

The Dallas Morning News wrote:Neo-Confederate economist at Ron Paul's Fed hearing
12:27 PM Thu, Feb 10, 2011
Todd J. Gillman/Reporter

Texas Rep. Ron Paul intended his first hearing as chair of a House subcommittee to showcase one of his complaints about the Federal Reserve - that central planning of the money supply makes unemployment worse, by creating booms that inevitably lead to recessions worse than would otherwise occur.

The hearing did do that. But that was overshadowed somewhat when Democrats noted that Paul's star witnesses, Thomas DiLorenzo, an economist at Loyola University in Baltimore, has called Abraham Lincoln a "dictator" and "mass murderer" - and has links to a neo-Confederate group called League of the South.

The League seeks a Southern breakaway nation led by "European-Americans."

To hear DiLorenzo tell it, linking him to the League is defamation. His only connection, he told the DMN, is that he lectured to some League members "15 years ago" at the invitation of an Emory University professor, and didn't even realize they were League members. He did concede, though, that he sympathizes with anyone who wants to secede from a government they disagree with, be they Southerners in the USA or Soviet Republics under the USSR.

His dismissal of any substantive link don't square with material collected by the Southern Poverty Law Center, which views the League as a hate group.

Issues of the "Southern Patriot" - the League's newsletter - describe DiLorenzo as a lecturer at its 2001 summer school and 2002 national conference. The League also sold tapes of his lectures.

In late 2000, he authored a front-page essay for the League's Alabama affiliate about vote fraud; its newsletter identified him as a League member.

And in 2005, DiLorenzo authored an essay defending the League.

Heidi Beirich, research director at the Southern Poverty Law Center, called it "appalling... for a congressman to bring someone in from a group that has these kinds of hate views."

Paul said he didn't know about DiLorenzo's involvement with the League and said Democrats only attacked to deflect attention from the substance of the Fed critique.

Southern Poverty Law Center wrote:Ron Paul Invites Neo-Confederate Witness to Testify in Congress
Posted in Neo-Confederate by Heidi Beirich on February 9, 2011

This morning, U.S. Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) hosted his first hearing as chairman of the House subcommittee that oversees the Federal Reserve, the nation’s central bank. Paul wants to look at the institution’s impact on job creation and the unemployment rate. Paul, a vicious opponent of the Fed, in the past has called for its abolition.

One of the witnesses invited to testify was Thomas DiLorenzo, a longtime activist in the neo-Confederate hate group, League of the South (LOS). The LOS advocates for a second Southern secession and a society dominated by “Anglo-Celts” – that is, white people. LOS leaders have called slavery “God-ordained” and described segregation as necessary to the racial “integrity” of black and white alike. DiLorenzo also is an economics professor at Baltimore’s Loyola College.

According to the Washington Post, “when Paul opened up the hearing to questions from committee members, Rep. Lacy Clay (D-Mo.) directly took on DiLorenzo for his membership in the League of the South,” pointing to the designation of the LOS as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. Clay also cited DiLorenzo’s many revisionist works about the Civil War and Lincoln, including “More Lies about the Civil War,” “In Defense of Sedition,” and “The First Dictator-President,” which examines “how Lincoln’s myth has corrupted America.”
“After reviewing your work and the so-called methods you employ, I still cannot understand you being invited to testify today on the unemployment crisis, but I do know that I have no questions for you,” Clay concluded.

DiLorenzo has a long history with the LOS. His essays have appeared in the group’s publications, and he was identified as a member in a 2000 issue of its Southern Events. DiLorenzo spoke at the LOS’ 2002 conference and that year’s Southern Heritage Conference, hosted by longtime LOS leader Steve Wilkins. DiLorenzo was listed for years, up until at least late 2009, as an “affiliated scholar” at the League’s Institute for the Study of Southern Culture, dedicated to ending any furtherance of the idea “that the commercial value of slavery was the cause of the war.”

DiLorenzo has other extremist connections. He has spoken at events that included other hate group members, and has been published by neo-Confederate outfits. In 1995, he wrote an essay entitled “A Defense of the Confederate Cause” published in the Journal for Historical Review, a Holocaust denial publication. It argues that “slavery was not one of the rationales” for the Civil War. “Since the battle flag represents a fight against high taxes and centralized government, every freedom-loving American should honor it,” DiLorenzo’s essay concludes.

Though trained as an economist, DiLorenzo’s life work appears to be rewriting the history of the Civil War and Lincoln’s role in it. DiLorenzo argues Lincoln was a paragon of wickedness, whose secret intent was to destroy states’ rights and build a massive federal government. “It was not to end slavery that Lincoln initiated an invasion of the South,” DiLorenzo writes in his 2002 attack on the 16th president, entitled, The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War. “A war was not necessary to free the slaves, but it was necessary to destroy the most significant check on the powers of the central government: the right of secession.”

In addition to his position at Loyola, DiLorenzo is a senior faculty member of the Ludwig von Mises Institute, a hard-right libertarian foundation in Auburn, Ala. In 2003, LewRockwell.com, a Web site run by Von Mises Institute President Llewellyn Rockwell that at the time included a “King Lincoln” section, hosted a “Lincoln Reconsidered” conference in Richmond, Va., starring DiLorenzo. The conference became a bit of a road show, reappearing around the South and headlined by DiLorenzo.

Ron Paul has connections to von Mises as well. When several of Paul’s newsletters from the 1980s and 1990s were found to include bigoted rhetoric about African Americans and gays, Paul claimed not to know who wrote them. But in 2008, Reason Magazine fingered the culprit: Paul’s chief ghostwriter was none other than von Mises founder Rockwell, who had earlier served as Paul’s chief of staff. To this day, the institute runs Paul’s commentaries and, according to Reason, “Rockwell remains a friend and advisor to Paul.”

Update: This morning DiLorenzo posted an angry screed in which he described Congressman Clay as “sleazy” and claimed he had “lied about my non-existent working relationship with the League of the South.” DiLorenzo says that his last interaction with the League was 13 years ago. So it is somewhat ironic, or perhaps hypocritical, that the League has DiLorenzo listed as a speaker at a 2009 League of the South Summer Institute on what is a favored topic of DiLorenzo’s, “Lincoln Reconsidered.”

So what? This makes me like me more....
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.
but maybe a equal market would lead to a free society.

A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither.

Amoral Stirnerite Individualist Market Anarchist

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:47 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:

you really should pay attention, the post is self explanatory.
whatever

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:48 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:

I read it
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:you really should pay attention, the post is self explanatory.

I read it

Apparently, you like DiLorenzo even "more" because:

1. He is a proven liar.

2. He is trying to hide his affiliation with the League of the South.

3. He is deeply involved in the League of the South, which has advocated white supremacy, called slavery “God-ordained,” and described segregation as necessary to the racial “integrity” of black and white alike.

That tells us all we need to know. Thanks for playing.
I quit (again).
The Cat-Tribe wrote:With that, I am done with these shenanigans. Do as thou wilt.

Can't miss you until you're gone, Ambassador. Seriously, your delegation is like one of those stores that has a "Going Out Of Business" sale for twenty years. Stay or go, already.*snip*
With that, "he put his boots on, he took a face from the Ancient Gallery, and he walked on down the Hall . . ."

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:57 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:I read it

1. He is a proven liar.

3. He is deeply involved in the League of the South, which has advocated white supremacy, called slavery “God-ordained,” and described segregation as necessary to the racial “integrity” of black and white alike.

Only the SPLC has called them that they are only allegations. And truthfully the SPLC is a load of crap like always... Its easy when your a black only group to label an opposing group as hateful or racist.
Vecherd wrote:

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:

1. He is a proven liar.

Only the SPLC has called them that they are only allegations. And truthfully the SPLC is a load of crap like always... Its easy when your a black only group to label an opposing group as hateful or racist.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Your ignorance is showing.

EDIT: A quote from the League of the South's website:
Q:Why does the LS seek to protect the Anglo-Celtic core population and culture of the historic South?

A: The Anglo-Celtic peoples settled the South and gave it its dominate culture and civilisation. We believe that the advancement of Anglo-Celtic culture and civilisation is vital in order to preserve our region as we know it. Should this core be destroyed or displaced the South would be made over in an alien image — unfamiliar and inhospitable to our children and grandchildren. We, as Anglo-Celtic Southerners, have a duty to protect that which our ancestors bequeathed to us. If we do not promote our interests then no one will do it for us.
Last edited by The Cat-Tribe on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I quit (again).

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:11 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Only the SPLC has called them that they are only allegations. And truthfully the SPLC is a load of crap like always... Its easy when your a black only group to label an opposing group as hateful or racist.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was thinking of another group but it goes by the same thing. Its easy to call anything associated with southern nationalism racist. And even if he wasnt racist I couldn't care less because he is an economist not a politician.
Vecherd wrote:

The Southron Nation
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Southron Nation » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:13 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:

Not everyone worships at the altar of the SPLC.
The Confederate Republics of the Southron Nation
What if the South had been recognized by the Union?

Aka Distruzio

Anarcho-Monarchism is an anti-egalitarian, anti-democratic, anti-statist, and anti-corporatist, conservative-libertarian movement that stresses tradition, responsibility, liberty, virtue, localism, market anarchy, voluntary segregation and personalism, along with familial, religious, and regional identity founded upon self-ownership and personified by a totem monarch.

Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:14 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was thinking of another group but it goes by the same thing. Its easy to call anything associated with southern nationalism racist. And even if he wasnt racist I couldn't care less because he is an economist not a politician.

Gee, what a surprise... It's easy to call a group that associates itself with a racist rebellious faction racist. I wonder why that would be?

Also, the "character assassination" is sort of relevant. He's clearly not a man who would let facts get in his way. Why would you assume that this is limited to his view on Lincoln and has no influence on his view on economics?

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:15 pm

The Southron Nation wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:you really should pay attention, the post is self explanatory.

Dont you support the LOS(edit: your flag edit again: I know its a regular Confed flag but generally you see the Battle Flag with other groups)? If anything why would a mulatto join a so called racist organisation? (devils advocate)
Last edited by Mercator Terra on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vecherd wrote:

The Southron Nation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Southron Nation » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:16 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:I read it

1. He is a proven liar.

Where is the source for such allegations? Even the wikipage fails to provide adequate source material.

Aka Distruzio

Anarcho-Monarchism is an anti-egalitarian, anti-democratic, anti-statist, and anti-corporatist, conservative-libertarian movement that stresses tradition, responsibility, liberty, virtue, localism, market anarchy, voluntary segregation and personalism, along with familial, religious, and regional identity founded upon self-ownership and personified by a totem monarch.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Laerod wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:I was thinking of another group but it goes by the same thing. Its easy to call anything associated with southern nationalism racist. And even if he wasnt racist I couldn't care less because he is an economist not a politician.

Gee, what a surprise... It's easy to call a group that associates itself with a racist rebellious faction racist. I wonder why that would be?

Also, the "character assassination" is sort of relevant. He's clearly not a man who would let facts get in his way. Why would you assume that this is limited to his view on Lincoln and has no influence on his view on economics?

Does him being a economics professor at Loyala U mean anything? Not to mention he is an Austrian economist which is the school of economics I adhere to.
Vecherd wrote:

The Southron Nation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Southron Nation » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:

Dont you support the LOS(edit: your flag)? If anything why would a mulatto join a so called racist organisation? (devils advocate)

;) They aren't a racist organization. I am personal friends with all of the directors and vacation with them annually. I have been to a great many of their events. I attend church services with many. I regularly visit the home of several prominent members. I am not, however, a member as I disagree with the League on the issue of homosexual southrons. They understand and accept my decision though there is mounting pressure to create a sister organization that will be more friendly to the less conservative southrons. It's a work in progress.

They are Southern Nationalists first and foremost. It is taking some time to convince everyone involved that Southern Nationalism means liberty for the South as a region. Not merely for those who think like us. The League maintains its more traditionally Protestant bent towards homosexuals and I will emphasize my more Catholic/Orthodox stance. As a believing man I understand that I am the worst of sinners. Therefore, however distasteful a light many may view homosexuality, those people are southrons and sinners just like us. We owe it to them to fight for their liberty as well as our own.

Race isn't something the League emphasizes at all. One would be hardpressed to find much literature regarding the issue in anything but than dismissive terms. We were all raised with blacks, jews, and mexicans as neighbors. Why would we regard them as anything less than that? There are, certainly, racist members - just as there are racists in the GOP and in the Democratic party. They are a very small, I emphasize again, VERY SMALL, minority.
Last edited by The Southron Nation on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aka Distruzio

Hetalia Switzerland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hetalia Switzerland » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Texas should secede and offer Oklahoma to come along with it, It would be better off as it's own not having to pay the United States and spreading it's money around to other states.

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:Dont you support the LOS(edit: your flag)? If anything why would a mulatto join a so called racist organisation? (devils advocate)

;) They aren't a racist organization. I am personal friends with all of the directors and vacation with them annually. I have been to a great many of their events. I attend church services with many. I regularly visit the home of several prominent members. I am not, however, a member as I disagree with the League on the issue of homosexual southrons. They understand and accept my decision though there is mounting pressure to create a sister organization that will be more friendly to the less conservative southrons. It's a work in progress.

They are Southern Nationalists first and foremost. It is taking some time to convince everyone involved that Southern Nationalism means liberty for the South as a region. Not merely for those who think like us. The League maintains its more traditionally Protestant bent towards homosexuals and I will emphasize my more Catholic/Orthodox stance. As a believing man I understand that I am the worst of sinners. Therefore, however distasteful a light many may view homosexuality, those people are southrons and sinners just like us. We owe it to them to fight for their liberty as well as our own.

Hence I said devils advocate :lol: But yes also your flag see my last edit. I see nothing wrong with it. I support succession myself.
Vecherd wrote:

Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Laerod wrote:Gee, what a surprise... It's easy to call a group that associates itself with a racist rebellious faction racist. I wonder why that would be?

Does him being a economics professor at Loyala U mean anything? Not to mention he is an Austrian economist which is the school of economics I adhere to.

So you're willing to overlook fairly blatant flaws in his reasoning because he claims to adhere to the same school of thought you claim to adhere to?

Hetalia Switzerland
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Hetalia Switzerland » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Oh and by the way the League Of The South has a page dedicated to black soldiers and such.

The Southron Nation
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Southron Nation » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:30 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:

Hence I said devils advocate :lol: But yes also your flag see my last edit. I see nothing wrong with it. I support succession myself.

Of course you do! You have sense. Austrianism and all.

Aka Distruzio

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:34 pm

http://dixienet.org/rights/corebeliefs.shtml

They don't seem harmful. Maybe misguided, but not bat-shit "kill the blacks" insane.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

The Cat-Tribe
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cat-Tribe » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:39 pm

If the League of the South is such a respectable group AND Thomas DiLorenzo is an honorable or credible speaker, why is DiLorenzo vehemently denying his proven affiliation with the League of the South?
I quit (again).

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Is this not an ad hominem? Neither Mr. Dilorenzo or the House was discussing Southern Secession, so bringing it up smacks of just trying to discredit him based on him holding an unrelated unorthodox belief. I don't see the purpose of the criticism is all. Holding a single odd belief does not violate your other beliefs.

I don't think it says anything about his economic policies if he thinks that the Civil War was illegitimate, no more then believing the moon landing was faked discredits you from advising on Heart Surgery.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Occupied Deutschland wrote:http://dixienet.org/rights/corebeliefs.shtml

They don't seem harmful. Maybe misguided, but not bat-shit "kill the blacks" insane.

Even if they were, I don't see the point of bringing this up within the debate. Did I miss something, did Mr. DiLorenzo make some sort allusion to civil war politics in his economic analysis? If he didn't this just seems like IRL flaming.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Mercator Terra
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:50 pm

The Cat-Tribe wrote:If the League of the South is such a respectable group AND Thomas DiLorenzo is an honorable or credible speaker, why is DiLorenzo vehemently denying his proven affiliation with the League of the South?

Probably because of all the bad connotations the come along with it. Or the SPLC could just be lying about his activity...
Vecherd wrote:

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:If the League of the South is such a respectable group AND Thomas DiLorenzo is an honorable or credible speaker, why is DiLorenzo vehemently denying his proven affiliation with the League of the South?

Probably because of all the bad connotations the come along with it. Or the SPLC could just be lying about his activity...

The SPLC is a corrupt and dying organization in and of itself, unfortunately.

When I was a teenager I actually signed up for a newsletter from the LoS(I was looking "rebellious" to join), they're actually kind of dumb as hell, like, one of the things they bitched about was how fewer people were saying "Coke" for all flavour of sodas than there used to be. Like it was some sort of cultural thing to protect.

All in all, that he joined the group after his teenage years makes me doubt his intelligence.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General