NATION

PASSWORD

Free Will

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Tekania wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:But... a tautology lacks any information since there isn't a possible case where it could be untrue.
Even if god sent everyone off to hell for eternity for no particular reason he would still be good by this definition.
In fact such a definition doesn't even allow for distinction between God and an imppstor malevolent deity, such as the devil.

And? Any philosophical point has this tautological issue. This is why the importance in study and development of a particular philosophy or theology isn't the ultimate proof on its rightness or not, but rather whether it is consistent with its own precept (tautology).

No - tautology isn't a proof of consistence, rather it is a proof of meaninglessness.
The statement as such doesn't restrict any possibilities, and therefore states no truth about the universe.
It is beating of empty chaff
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:04 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Tekania wrote:
And? Any philosophical point has this tautological issue. This is why the importance in study and development of a particular philosophy or theology isn't the ultimate proof on its rightness or not, but rather whether it is consistent with its own precept (tautology).

No - tautology isn't a proof of consistence, rather it is a proof of meaninglessness.
The statement as such doesn't restrict any possibilities, and therefore states no truth about the universe.
It is beating of empty chaff

Apparently you didn't comprehend what I said. I never said tautology was proof of consistence, merely that the correctness of any philosophy is measured by a consistence from its own precepts (its tautologies).
Such heroic nonsense!

Dustistan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dustistan » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:32 pm

God put mankind on earth, gave him free will, and said "right, you're in charge now".

We stuffed up badly, but God will not break his own rules.

God knew we were going to stuff up, but (through his omniscience) realised that this would be better than not creating the universe in the first place, or creating it solely of beings with no free will.

We don't know why it is better this way, but that doesn't mean it isn't. We have a clue in the fact that God Himself decided to become a human, to suffer as we suffer, and die....and then become alive again, giving everyone an opportunity to fix up the basic mistake we all make.

Yet still, God doesn't break his own rules. We are free agents, in charge of our lives. We must now choose - continue to wreck our own lives, trying to live them as we see fit, or give our broken lives to God, and get Jesus' fixed-up life in exchange.

Does our current suffering contradict God's omniscience, goodness or omnipotence? No, because He sees the end result is worth some pain. Does God's omniscience and omnipotence contradict free will? No, as evidenced by the fact that God doesn't force anyone to follow his plan.

Dustistan
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dustistan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:08 am

my goodness, I killed the thread!!! :eek:

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:34 am

Dustistan wrote:my goodness, I killed the thread!!! :eek:

*sigh*

There is no correct answer to free will. Why does everything have to be black & white? Racists.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Existential_Nihilists
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Existential_Nihilists » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:04 am

Norstal wrote:
Dustistan wrote:my goodness, I killed the thread!!! :eek:

*sigh*

There is no correct answer to free will. Why does everything have to be black & white? Racists.

Because arriving to a "gray area" conclusion isn't as fulfilling.. People never settle for "maybe", they want a concrete answer, they want guidance, for some reason.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:50 am

Existential_Nihilists wrote:
Norstal wrote:*sigh*

Because arriving to a "gray area" conclusion isn't as fulfilling.. People never settle for "maybe", they want a concrete answer, they want guidance, for some reason.

Yes, God forbid there not be a definitive answer to a purely unprovable philosophical thought-experiment such as the issue of free will or determinism.
Such heroic nonsense!

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General