NATION

PASSWORD

Empathy

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

How important is empathy?

Most important above all else
13%
Very important
40%
Neither important or unimportant
9%
Not important
5%
Detrimental
5%
I got a soda you can't have none of!
5%
I got a soda it's only enough for one hon
4%
I got a soda y'all can't have a god damn sip
10%
I got a soda I know you want it
9%

Total votes : 94

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Empathy

Postby Desperate Measures » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Just curious as I see that a major difference between people when it comes to their personal philosophy is the level of empathy they possess. But empathy is one of those general words that can send topics off into wild tangents and I expect that. But just to start it off, what does empathy mean to you and how important do you think it is to possess empathy in life?
Last edited by Desperate Measures on Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

UCUMAY
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby UCUMAY » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:18 pm

I feel empathy is very important. It keeps me in touch with the fact we are simply human.
The Proclaimed Psycho on NSG
About me
I may be young, and that's okay. Since age does not always bring wisdom. I may be stubborn to the point of stupidity; but at least I fight for my beliefs. I may be fooled by a lie; but I can then say I trusted. My heart may get broken however, then I can say I truly loved. With all this said I have lived. :D

I'm politically syncretic so stop asking. :)
My political and social missions

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Empathy is, like all human emotions, useful.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Empathy is what stops me and everyone else from buying an assualt rifle and going down in hail of bullets. I'd say it's quite important.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Big Jim P wrote:Empathy is, like all human emotions, useful.

I think Empathy, like all human emotions, can be useful. But it can also be detrimental.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Miklesia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Miklesia » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Those lacking in empathy have no place in society, which depends on people caring about and helping each other. They can expect no help in return.
The Floridian Coast wrote:My chances, as an American, of being killed by an act of Islamic terrorism, or personally knowing someone who is, are very, very small. On the other hand, my chances as an American of having a Christian in power depriving me or others who I care for of their liberty are very, very high. I'm more concerned about radical Christianity than radical Islam, even though the second is much more violent.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Camicon wrote:Empathy is what stops me and everyone else from buying an assualt rifle and going down in hail of bullets. I'd say it's quite important.

Not self-preservation?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:22 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Camicon wrote:Empathy is what stops me and everyone else from buying an assualt rifle and going down in hail of bullets. I'd say it's quite important.

Not self-preservation?

For myself, certainly, but think of all the mentally unstable people there are in the world, all the people who are suicidal and choose to end their lives in a private, rather then public, manner. Think of all the people who would wage a never ending war against people they hate, because no in the world has any empathy, and no one would feel bad that people they have no feeling for are being slaughtered underfoot.

We'd have Rwanda on a world-wide, multi-cultural, scale.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Camicon wrote:For myself, certainly, but think of all the mentally unstable people there are in the world, all the people who are suicidal and choose to end their lives in a private, rather then public, manner. Think of all the people who would wage a never ending war against people they hate, because no in the world has any empathy, and no one would feel bad that people they have no feeling for are being slaughtered underfoot.

The fact that Rwanda acts like that despite the supposed strength of human empathy is an argument against the strength of human empathy.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Big Jim P wrote:Empathy is, like all human emotions, useful.

I think Empathy, like all human emotions, can be useful. But it can also be detrimental.

You gain wisdom, young one. *nod*
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:26 pm

Big Jim P wrote:You gain wisdom, young one. *nod*

Must... Not... Make... D&D joke...

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Camicon wrote:For myself, certainly, but think of all the mentally unstable people there are in the world, all the people who are suicidal and choose to end their lives in a private, rather then public, manner. Think of all the people who would wage a never ending war against people they hate, because no in the world has any empathy, and no one would feel bad that people they have no feeling for are being slaughtered underfoot.

The fact that Rwanda acts like that despite the supposed strength of human empathy is an argument against the strength of human empathy.

No, it's an example of what happens when people don't have empathy for each other. A lack of empathy, among other things, is what caused 800,000 people to die in 100 days. The people that had the power to stop the genocide didn't care, and did nothing to stop it. That displayed a lack of empathy, not of empathy's inability to stop us doing horrible things to each other.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:30 pm

Camicon wrote:No, it's an example of what happens when people don't have empathy for each other. A lack of empathy, among other things, is what caused 800,000 people to die in 100 days. The people that had the power to stop the genocide didn't care, and did nothing to stop it. That displayed a lack of empathy, not of empathy's inability to stop us doing horrible things to each other.

The idea that empathy was not present in them proves that empathy is not a universally held emotion, even amongst regular human beings.

The alternative is what I suggest, that empathy exists in the vast majority of people, it's simply not that influential.

Uryan
Civilian

Founded: Jan 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Uryan » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:32 pm

Miklesia wrote:Those lacking in empathy have no place in society, which depends on people caring about and helping each other. They can expect no help in return.

Oh no they can its simple to fake caring about others and receiving service or goods from them. Empathy makes taking advantage of others so easy. Families are especially easy to manipulate to do your will. Theres no reason for an individual to care about others emotionality. Why be a slave when you can be free of illogical feelings towards others.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Camicon wrote:No, it's an example of what happens when people don't have empathy for each other. A lack of empathy, among other things, is what caused 800,000 people to die in 100 days. The people that had the power to stop the genocide didn't care, and did nothing to stop it. That displayed a lack of empathy, not of empathy's inability to stop us doing horrible things to each other.

The idea that empathy was not present in them proves that empathy is not a universally held emotion, even amongst regular human beings.

The alternative is what I suggest, that empathy exists in the vast majority of people, it's simply not that influential.

Then we have a difference of beliefs, not something easily resolved, and something I'd rather avoid. I'm not sure anyone could ever convince me that empathy is present in everyone, merely ineffective. You either have empathy, or you don't. Some people choose to ignore it, and ignoring it for long enough will leave you without it, in my opinion.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Could it not have been a case of misdirected empathy? You are going to kill my brother, I'll kill all of you before you can.
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Camicon wrote:Then we have a difference of beliefs, not something easily resolved, and something I'd rather avoid.

Why do you want to avoid differing beliefs? The only reason to fear differing beliefs is a insecurity in the firmness of one's own beliefs.
I'm not sure anyone could ever convince me that empathy is present in everyone, merely ineffective. You either have empathy, or you don't.

And people have empathy. Nothing of what I've said contradicts that.
Some people choose to ignore it, and ignoring it for long enough will leave you without it, in my opinion.

I don't think the human mind works that way.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:45 pm

Big Jim P wrote:You gain wisdom, young one. *nod*

Must... Not... Make... D&D joke...

Don't bother, it would miss.
Hail Satan!

Roan Cara
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Roan Cara » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:53 pm

empathy is intrinsic to my nature and yes I do find it to be very important to me in that I expect those I care about to care about me and part of that imo is showing empathy with me and vice versa. that said I do think that it can be easily faked and often is but I also know that the times I have had to deal with people who have no sense of it AT ALL have been very friggin annoying to say the least.
Married to Big Jim P- I will always love him-ALLways
Roan HaYashurah - Roan the Just... or straight...~Menassa
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. Dr. Seuss[/align]

Tokos
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:56 pm

Empathy is great. However at the same time, human empathy is like the human eye, whose sensitivity is brilliant except when there's a bright light directly in front of you. That's how empathy can sometimes be a disadvantage if you really do need to hurt someone, or do something that requires you to ignore someone else.

Still rather have it than not.
The Confederal Fasces of Tokos

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:00 pm

Empathy is a natural resource that we need more of, and consequently, are running out of.

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:35 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:Just curious as I see that a major difference between people when it comes to their personal philosophy is the level of empathy they possess. But empathy is one of those general words that can send topics off into wild tangents and I expect that. But just to start it off, what does empathy mean to you and how important do you think it is to possess empathy in life?

Empathy is very important to me,

Unless when it comes to those subhuman degenerate unpersons; which I will butcher alive if I ever get the chance to.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Georgism
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgism » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Volnotova wrote:Empathy is very important to me,

Unless when it comes to those subhuman degenerate unpersons; which I will butcher alive if I ever get the chance to.

So empathy isn't really all that important to you?
Georgism Factbook (including questions and answers)
¯\(°_o)/¯
Horsefish wrote:I agree with George

Tokos
Senator

Founded: Oct 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tokos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:37 pm

Empathy does not mean sympathy, given as "To understand all is to forgive all" is not really true. One can empathise with someone and think the worse of them for it.
Last edited by Tokos on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confederal Fasces of Tokos

Economic Left/Right: -6.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.05

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:38 pm

Tokos wrote:Empathy does not mean sympathy, given as "To understand all is to forgive all" is not really true. One can empathise with someone and think the worse of them for it.

That's for true.
Also, me.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General