NATION

PASSWORD

Homosexual Couple Win B&B Bed Ban Case

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Neo Art wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
That and the entrance fee.

and the exit fee. And the breathing fee!

And the fee fee I had to pay so they would let me pay my fees.

Oh, and the protection money. Way overpriced.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:34 pm

Nobel Hobos wrote:Having goods for sale (goods you have no use for yourself, but to sell them) you are beneficiary of laws and public sentiment. You throw yourself upon the mercy of the public who (but for law and public morals) would simply take those goods from you. By trading, and particularly trading for profit, you ask something of everyone else, that they obey rules of fair exchange. That is a big ask, when you have the advantage of capital, established wealth, to trade against their currency or labour.

Nothing good will come to them, those established in wealth or class, of this call for perfectly free markets. They will be robbed and even plundered (ruined to gain only a fraction of their wealth) and all their efforts to work for gain (individual, and by faith collective) subverted by bandits and gangsters, free marketeers themselves. The dream of owning all you worked for will fail miserably without the rule of law which grew up alongside capitalism, as a twin. The absolute free-marketeers are fools to try to kill off this symbiont, national government, without which a free market would never even have been conceivable, and under the wing of which capitalists have thrived.

We should hear out claims that a free-er market will be more efficient. We should consider cases of markets being made more or less free, and judge the results as recorded statistically. Surely, there is such a thing as too much government regulation. There is also such a thing as too little. But to the claim that some unachievable ideal of a pure free market would produce a better result than any of the compromises which have been tested in practice, we should say: no, that's not even worth trying. It's false idealism. A yearning for the impossible. Fairy shit.

An excellent point. But when these rich and monied people call for "freer markets", what they really mean is "markets wherethey gain all the benefits of government existance without having to pay any of the prices of it".

North Suran wrote:
Kirovnia wrote:Okay, if you use Magic numbers like that then sure, but then that 5% can start a business for themselfs or *move,

No. That's just stupid. Why punish the victims instead of the victimisers?

Kirovnia wrote:because a government intervention would do more harm than good. I.E. setting a precedent and begining the downhill mudslide of taking away my civil liberties.

How exactly would the government intervening to protect the civil rights of the consumer lead to a "downhill mudslide" of "taking away my civil liberties"? Your 'slippery slope' fallacy makes no sense.

Kirovnia wrote:I really don't care all that much about the history of Britain considering im an Irish-American Catholic, which means, I still have a bit of a beef with england at the moment.

Which is about as logical as a resident of Baghdad holding a grudge against the Mongolians.

You never cease to amaze me, TBR. How you managed to jump from "same-sex couple denied service on account of prejudice" to "same-sex couple are the victimisers" reveals a great deal of your thought processes, and I remind myself after reading this that the study of law does not require a mind that s remotely open.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dazchan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:38 pm

Neo Art wrote:
The Black Forrest wrote:
That and the entrance fee.

and the exit fee. And the breathing fee!

If you don't like it, you can hold your breath or go elsewhere to breathe.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Dakini wrote:
They pretty much were married. They have a civil union, which is legally equivalent to marriage in the UK.

This is true. It is also true that the B&B's web site says very explcitily "one man and one woman," but in running a business that offers public accomodations, I don't think they get to make that distinction. If the law recognizes same-sex marriages or civil unions as the equivalent, such business needs must comply. Suppose an opposite-sex couple wants to stay there? Do they require a marriage license? I think not, somehow.

Their website says that now.
Looking at the page source, the "special note" shows signs of having been added later, and notice the typo of a missing space before "being the union of one man to one woman for life ...".

"For life" isn't the legal definition of marriage in Britain is it?
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin.Big Jim P
I am a Christian. Christianity is my Morality's base OS.DASHES
... when the Light on the Hill dims, there are Greener pastures.Ardchoille

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:14 pm

If you don't want to feed sinful people, don't open a restaurant. If you don't want to transport sinful people, don't drive a taxicab. If you don't want to house sinful people, don't become a landlord.

You can close your door against the world, and open it only to people you like. Or, you can open your doors to the public, in which case you don't get to pick and choose which public you will let in, except in so far as the law decides to allow.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Kobeanare
Minister

Founded: Nov 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kobeanare » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 pm

Bottle wrote:
Dregruk wrote:
You didn't really read what I wrote, did you?

Ok, this is going to date me, but you ever see that Far Side cartoon where it shows what dogs hear when we talk to them? And what the dog, Ginger, hears is, "Blah blah blah blah GINGER blah blah blah GINGER blah blah!"

I think some people in this thread are operating at that level. So what they saw of your post is:

Blah blah blah lawyer, blah blah blah blah blah. Blah blah, minority rights blah blah blah more blah, blah blah blah minority status. Blah blah blah accept blah it, blah.

Funny, that seems to be exactly how you see any post that doesn't agree with you.

Kobeanare
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kobeanare » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:42 pm

Bottle wrote:
Central Slavia wrote:STRAWMAN
I already mentioned it - mexicans and blacks can't be of other race, while gays could have just gotten two rooms as any unmarried couple.
Besides from the fact that they had money to frivolously blow on lawsuits they appear to be rich enough o afford it easily

Yes, I know that you believe sexual orientation is a choice, but see...I don't care that you believe that. Your wrongness on that subject is, to me, the same as the wrongness of believing that the "free market" will magically solve problems which history has proven, conclusively, that it will not.

How has history conclusively proven anything about the free market? History has never had a free market.

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dazchan » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Central Slavia wrote:I already mentioned it - mexicans and blacks can't be of other race, while gays could have just gotten two rooms as any unmarried couple.

And paid twice as much as a heterosexual couple who would have been allowed the one room. Yep, that's fair.

Central Slavia wrote:Besides from the fact that they had money to frivolously blow on lawsuits they appear to be rich enough o afford it easily

:eyebrow: So could Bill Gates. Do he and Melinda travel separately?
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Kobeanare
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kobeanare » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Nobel Hobos wrote:"The majority of the population isn't racist" you say. That may be true. But ten percent may be racist agaisnt a racial minority of 5%, and prefer businesses where they will not have to consort with customers of that race.

That alone is enough to defeat any claim that a non-racist business will out-compete a racist business. If active racist outnumber the minority they are racist against, the free market absolutely will not redress discrimination against that minority. In fact, it will make it worse.

This ignores the existence of people not of the minority race in question who refuse to support the racism of the excluding establishment, opting instead to spend their money elsewhere.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:16 pm

Kobeanare wrote:
Nobel Hobos wrote:"The majority of the population isn't racist" you say. That may be true. But ten percent may be racist agaisnt a racial minority of 5%, and prefer businesses where they will not have to consort with customers of that race.

That alone is enough to defeat any claim that a non-racist business will out-compete a racist business. If active racist outnumber the minority they are racist against, the free market absolutely will not redress discrimination against that minority. In fact, it will make it worse.

This ignores the existence of people not of the minority race in question who refuse to support the racism of the excluding establishment, opting instead to spend their money elsewhere.

Because that worked so well against Jim Crow.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:18 am

Kobeanare wrote:

Of course it's a simplification. Before extending it with further details, please assure me that you accept the simplification so far as it goes.
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin.Big Jim P
I am a Christian. Christianity is my Morality's base OS.DASHES
... when the Light on the Hill dims, there are Greener pastures.Ardchoille

Tekcirb
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekcirb » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:23 am

Hotel owners should have got in prison for at least 3 years

Kobeanare
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Kobeanare » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:38 am

Nobel Hobos wrote:
Kobeanare wrote:This ignores the existence of people not of the minority race in question who refuse to support the racism of the excluding establishment, opting instead to spend their money elsewhere.

Of course it's a simplification. Before extending it with further details, please assure me that you accept the simplification so far as it goes.

It ignores a pretty major point. I'd argue it ignores the entire basis of the argument. That makes it a pretty poor simplification.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General