NATION

PASSWORD

Homosexual Couple Win B&B Bed Ban Case

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 pm

I can see where they are arguing from, because I think it was a case in 1832 that decided that the legal term for 'marriage' was a union of man or women and how they could claim they don't see a civil partnership as 'marriage'.

Either way it was wrong and the judge made the right call.
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 pm

The Bleeding Roses wrote:
North Suran wrote:1. You have no evidence.
2. Even if this were true, it wouldn't make the B&B's policy any less discriminatory.
3. How exactly are they "radical homosexuals"?

Your run of the mill homosexual isn't lawyering up when he gets discriminated against for his poor life choices... Those that look to the courts are by the very definition radicals.

"Poor life choices"? :eyebrow:
Ignoring that, how is fighting discrimination via the courts radical?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 pm

The Bleeding Roses wrote:Your run of the mill homosexual isn't lawyering up when he gets discriminated against for his poor life choices...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Geniasis wrote:Last edited by The Bleeding Roses on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Look at that, I too can prove absolutely nothing.

I fixed the link... Nothing functional changed (or could change) in a one word request for a source. Suran added the entire bit about the HoL having the capability to legislate after realizing I would (and did) call him on it.

Uh, no. For one thing, my last edit was at the same time that you made your post, so I literally wouldn't have had enough time to do so. What I added was "and the Lords Spiritual don't get to vote on it", after I read what Cosmopoles said. "The House of Lords doesn't tend to make much legislation" had been there from the start - otherwise, my entire post would be a nonsensical "Do a little reading first, champ."

I'm always surprised about how far you'll go in an effort to avoid admitting to being wrong.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Dregruk
Envoy

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dregruk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:36 pm

2. Even if this were true, it wouldn't make the B&B's policy any less discriminatory.

Your run of the mill homosexual isn't lawyering up when he gets discriminated against for his poor life choices... Those that look to the courts are by the very definition radicals.

Looks like a success story for legal aid services to me. Discrimination should be challenged whenever possible, that's why we have legislation against it.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Oh no! He edited his post as I was writing my reply!

Clearly that's bad for some reason!
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

The Bleeding Roses
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Bleeding Roses » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Dakini wrote:
The Bleeding Roses wrote:Or perhaps... as I suggested... they found that bit and went to that inn looking to stir up some trouble being the radical homosexuals they are?

Or perhaps bigots shouldn't have the right to discriminate against potential clients anyway?

It's their property. If they want to lose business that should be their choice, gay, straight, black, red, tan, male, female, midget, so on.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Bottle wrote:-Because gay sex won't make bay-beez. This is why we also hate infertile couples, women who are past menopause, and anybody who uses contraception, ever.

Whilst I appreciate the whole thing as lulzy, I'll just address this...

Didn't Neil Patrick Harris and his lover have two bae'beez? :lol:

No. That's just what the gay-controlled liberal media wants you to think. Gays cannot have children, they can only have teacup poodles.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Dakini wrote:Or perhaps bigots shouldn't have the right to discriminate against potential clients anyway?

It's their property. If they want to lose business that should be their choice, gay, straight, black, red, tan, male, female, midget, so on.

Businesses are required to abide by laws. The law says they can't do that

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Dakini wrote:Or perhaps bigots shouldn't have the right to discriminate against potential clients anyway?

1954 called, they want their Jim Crow arguments back.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann

Mindhar
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mindhar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Waitwaitwait, you're in law school, planning to be a lawyer, and... you criticise people for hiring lawyers? The people who, basically, will ensure that you have paychecks if you work for a private firm?

Man, seriously, you just get better and better. A parodist couldn't make this shit up if he tried. XD

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Exactly
Let the free market weed out bad business practices
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

The Bleeding Roses
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Bleeding Roses » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Mindhar wrote:
The Bleeding Roses wrote:Your run of the mill homosexual isn't lawyering up when he gets discriminated against for his poor life choices... Those that look to the courts are by the very definition radicals.

Waitwaitwait, you're in law school, planning to be a lawyer, and... you criticise people for hiring lawyers? The people who, basically, will ensure that you have paychecks if you work for a private firm?

Man, seriously, you just get better and better. A parodist couldn't make this shit up if he tried. XD

There is always two sides to an equation.
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Unchecked Expansion wrote:
The Bleeding Roses wrote:It's their property. If they want to lose business that should be their choice, gay, straight, black, red, tan, male, female, midget, so on.

And how are laws created
but before you answer that
What gives law "Legitimacy"

and while we are here, certain laws aren't worth obeying
Like laws dictating what I can and can't do with my business and property
Unless you lend no credit to the concept of civil disobedience
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm

I wonder if you only support this because you know that nobody would discriminate against a cis-straight-white-male like yourself. I suspect yes.
Last edited by Dakini on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Bleeding Roses
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Bleeding Roses » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Unchecked Expansion wrote:
The Bleeding Roses wrote:It's their property. If they want to lose business that should be their choice, gay, straight, black, red, tan, male, female, midget, so on.

The law is wrong.
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Horsefish wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:I'm a bit torn on this one.

How can it be discrimination if they turn away couples, straight or gay, for not being married?

Then again, because of christians like these ones, gay people can't get married at all.

That was not the issue the court was addressing.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Dakini wrote:

I wonder if you only support this because you know that nobody would discriminate against a cis-straight-white-male like yourself.

Now now, Dakini, we mustn't lie. You don't wonder, any more than I do. :D

Mindhar
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mindhar » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Bottle wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Whilst I appreciate the whole thing as lulzy, I'll just address this...

Didn't Neil Patrick Harris and his lover have two bae'beez? :lol:

No. That's just what the gay-controlled liberal media wants you to think. Gays cannot have children, they can only have teacup poodles.

They're just flaunting their radical homosexual lifestyle choices in front of everyone's noses. Your run of the mill homosexual doesn't have children, that's a inherently provocative act and therefore the domain of radicals.

GeneralHaNor wrote:

Exactly
Let the free market weed out bad business practices

This is a tangent, but how is a market that only caters to selected groups to be considered "free"?

The Bleeding Roses
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Bleeding Roses » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Dakini wrote:

I wonder if you only support this because you know that nobody would discriminate against a cis-straight-white-male like yourself. I suspect yes.

I have been discriminated against as an affluent white male before... There is a bar down the street that prohibits pastel polo shirts.
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Unchecked Expansion wrote:Businesses are required to abide by laws. The law says they can't do that

The law is wrong.

Let's see if that one holds up in court.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Unchecked Expansion wrote:Businesses are required to abide by laws. The law says they can't do that

The law is wrong.

And, as an attorney, you will naturally advise your clients to break the law whenever they believe it is wrong, right?

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

The law is wrong.

No its not.

I can make statements too!

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

The law is wrong.

A lawyer arguing the fallibility of law
I imagine you will be a defense attorney

I don't know whether to applaud or shun you
Either way I might disgust myself

They are right
No Parodist could make this shit up.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tekania » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:44 pm

They market their product out to the general public, they have to abide by the general public's rules.... They are most free to do what-ever they want to with their property, except whereas they want to transact deals with members of the public, if they don't abide by said, we deprive them of their privileged to transact with the public.
Such heroic nonsense!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General