NATION

PASSWORD

ARGGGH, mah neck!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sorgan
Senator

Founded: Jun 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: ARGGGH, mah neck!

Postby Sorgan » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:51 am

Tarlachia wrote:I know exactly what you're talking about, Hydesland. I've had the exact same problem before and yes, you're correct. It usually is related to sleeping position, or something more serious, like whiplash from an accident, etc.

The best thing you can do is let it rest as best as possible, and limit the use of the neck muscle(s) in question. An ice pack and some tyelnol/advil/ibuprofen should help as well.

Click this link here to read up some more on neck pain and what to do.

Best of luck.

Same thing happened to me when i was sailing in a cramped boat (Although it might have been when we cap-sized and the boom hit me in the back of the neck) but anyways if it is from and uncomfortable position just stretch sit up straight and move you're back a lot should go away. But don't use medicine before going to see a doctor.

Tarlachia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 09, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarlachia » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:00 am

Sorgan wrote:
Tarlachia wrote:I know exactly what you're talking about, Hydesland. I've had the exact same problem before and yes, you're correct. It usually is related to sleeping position, or something more serious, like whiplash from an accident, etc.

The best thing you can do is let it rest as best as possible, and limit the use of the neck muscle(s) in question. An ice pack and some tyelnol/advil/ibuprofen should help as well.

Click this link here to read up some more on neck pain and what to do.

Best of luck.

Same thing happened to me when i was sailing in a cramped boat (Although it might have been when we cap-sized and the boom hit me in the back of the neck) but anyways if it is from and uncomfortable position just stretch sit up straight and move you're back a lot should go away. But don't use medicine before going to see a doctor.

You can use advil or any other over the counter inflammatory medicine. IN MODERATION of course.

I personally don't think stretching the muscle will help. I've tried that before, and it just prolonged the pain. Strangely, the best time I felt relief was after the next night's rest (where my neck was mostly still for the entire night), so I just limit movement and let my body do the work by itself.

Besides, think about people with spinal problems for example (although that clearly doesn't seem to be the case here for Hydesland). Doctors may have them sitting in some brace of some sort to limit movement. A tear in the muscle fibers, for example, won't heal if you keep stretching the affected muscle and ripping it further.

Therefore, it's my belief that limiting movement is best overall.

Pure Metal
Envoy

Founded: Apr 07, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Pure Metal » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:06 am

i had that a couple of weeks ago from sleeping funny. went away in a couple of days, but it wasn't nice while it lasted.

you could try putting ice on it to soothe things, and ibuprofen might be good cos (iirc) it helps with swellings and things like that.... but i could be wrong :unsure:
+19,376ish posts
Economic Left/Right: -9.13 :: Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82
Moral Order: -5 :: Moral Rules: +6.5
www.hljphotography.co.uk :: www.planetrock.com

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:08 am

Try some muscle pain rub stuff and try to avoid turning the way that hurts. You probably slept on it funny. If it's the same or worse tomorrow, pop in to see a doctor.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:14 am

What Dakini said. rub some Ben Gay in. Don't rub your balls with that hand. *nod*
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Tarlachia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 09, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarlachia » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:31 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:What Dakini said. rub some Ben Gay in. Don't rub your balls with that hand. *nod*

Duly noted... lmao

Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:45 am

Get a smaller head you dolt, i mean jeepers! Your body is so thin i'm surprised your head doesn't roll off.

But seriously, it should wear away eventually, if it doesn't maybe you've torn some muscles in your neck, if it's really serious well time to call a medic i think, but keep an eye on them, they can make some real silly errors in hospital.
Med students are dangerous just remember that, and don't ever let them go near your neck. also remember that too.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General