NATION

PASSWORD

Creationists: Dragons = Dinosaurs? My Response and Yours.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dungeons...er...Dinosaurs and Dragons.

I think this argument is right and well laid out.
4%
I think this argument is right, but not well laid out.
No votes
I think this argument is plausible.
15%
I think this argument is unlikely but well laid out.
4%
I think this argument is unlikely and not well laid out.
6%
I think this argument is wrong, but with good effort, well laid out.
12%
I think this argument is just fucked up.
54%
Other.
5%

Total votes : 81

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Re: Creationists: Dragons = Dinosaurs? My Response and Yours.

Postby Tmutarakhan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:48 pm

Muravyets wrote:Of course, the ancient Greeks did not make up the stories about giants to explain the bones they found. They used the bones they found to illustrate and claim realism for stories they already had.

That is a very unlikely theory. What is your justification for it?
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:58 pm

Poliwanacraca wrote:I bring this up here, though, because my favorite (in a "I may want to kill myself now" sort of way) line of all time from their newsletters discussed their kids' homeschool project of building a model of a dinosaur, which they described with the cheerful note, "Dinosaurs frequently roamed Europe during the Middle Ages, and knights could win great acclaim by killing them!" It seems I really need to reread the Canterbury Tales, since I apparently overlooked the bit where the Wife of Bath gets eaten by a velociraptor.

That's awesome.

I suppose they also think dinosaurs breathe fire.
Signatures are for losers.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:02 pm

SaintB wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Which cultures were as or more progressive than the Romans, Mury, and in what respects? I would love to learn.

Now I am not Murv but I can think of Gaul, Egypt, and the Bretons. They where not as advanced, by society wise in many aspects where beyond Rome. The Bretons had many women soldiers, the Gauls had their own system of money, roads, and a council of sorts, and Egypt had several women rulers.

In addition, the Vikings had an egalitarian system of proto-democracy.

In Egypt, women were granted equal rights by law, including in the ownership of property, right to run their own businesses, right to divorce, and the right to seek legal redress.

The tribes of Britain also had women rulers and women warriors, and women had equal freedom to marry, not marry, remarry, and move from place to place that men did. Their system of government also had more democratic features than Rome's did after the republic was abolished.

The Vandals, often held up as the epitome of "barbarian", were a peaceful tribe who suffered many years of oppression under Roman rule, yet they persisted in pursuing legal avenues to protect their rights, seeking treaty after treaty with Rome, before finally resorting to armed uprising.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:03 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Muravyets wrote:Of course, the ancient Greeks did not make up the stories about giants to explain the bones they found. They used the bones they found to illustrate and claim realism for stories they already had.

That is a very unlikely theory. What is your justification for it?

Read. The. Thread.
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )

Poliwanacraca
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Poliwanacraca » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:03 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:
Poliwanacraca wrote:I bring this up here, though, because my favorite (in a "I may want to kill myself now" sort of way) line of all time from their newsletters discussed their kids' homeschool project of building a model of a dinosaur, which they described with the cheerful note, "Dinosaurs frequently roamed Europe during the Middle Ages, and knights could win great acclaim by killing them!" It seems I really need to reread the Canterbury Tales, since I apparently overlooked the bit where the Wife of Bath gets eaten by a velociraptor.

That's awesome.

I would not be at all surprised.
"You know...I've just realized that "Poliwanacraca" is, when rendered in Arabic, an anagram for "Bom-chica-wohw-waaaow", the famous "sexy riff" that was born in the 70's and will live forever..." - Hammurab
----
"Extortion is such a nasty word.
I much prefer 'magnolia'. 'Magnolia' is a much nicer word." - Saint Clair Island

----
"Go forth my snarky diaper babies, and CONQUER!" - Neo Art

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:03 pm

Poliwanacraca wrote:

That's awesome.

Get ahold of what they're smoking, and send it to me for some in-depth analysis.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:07 pm

Non Aligned States wrote:
Muravyets wrote:It was a good one, too. See, apparently, according to the historians and archeologists on the show, fossils -- more of Ice Age mega-fauna than dinosaurs, but whatever -- were being dug up by farmers and builders all the time around the Mediterranean in ancient times. And since, as is mostly the case, they were only finding partial remains, they couldn't get an idea of what kind of a creature the bones had belonged to. But they did know bones when they saw them. And basically, a femur is a femur and a rib is a rib and a vertebra a vertebra, no matter the size. So, very much like the early modern paleontologists, the ancient Greeks organized the bones they found into a shape that made sense to them. Presto! Giants.

After that, the tourism hucksters took over.

Shouldn't it be titans, if we're going by Greek mythology?

The Titans were one set of giants and were gods before the Olympians, but, the ancient tales tended to cast many non-god or demi-god heroes as giants -- or at least larger than life. Orion was supposedly a giant. Orestes was supposedly a giant. Neither was a Titan.
Last edited by Muravyets on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:09 pm

Poliwanacraca wrote:There's a blueberry farm a few miles away where my family used to go and pick a few pounds of blueberries each summer, and it is run by a very, very crazy creationist family. They send out little newsletters that say things like, "The crop is looking great this year! We've planted another half-acre, and the bushes are coming up beautifully! Last month, our children picketed outside a public school with signs that read 'EVOLUTIONISTS ARE SATAN!' Little Jimmy even threw a rock at a 'science' teacher! We're so proud!"

I bring this up here, though, because my favorite (in a "I may want to kill myself now" sort of way) line of all time from their newsletters discussed their kids' homeschool project of building a model of a dinosaur, which they described with the cheerful note, "Dinosaurs frequently roamed Europe during the Middle Ages, and knights could win great acclaim by killing them!" It seems I really need to reread the Canterbury Tales, since I apparently overlooked the bit where the Wife of Bath gets eaten by a velociraptor.

I feel a movie script coming on...

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Galloism wrote:
Poliwanacraca wrote:
Saint Clair Island wrote:That's awesome.

Get ahold of what they're smoking, and send it to me for some in-depth analysis.

Blueberries.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Poliwanacraca wrote:There's a blueberry farm a few miles away where my family used to go and pick a few pounds of blueberries each summer, and it is run by a very, very crazy creationist family. They send out little newsletters that say things like, "The crop is looking great this year! We've planted another half-acre, and the bushes are coming up beautifully! Last month, our children picketed outside a public school with signs that read 'EVOLUTIONISTS ARE SATAN!' Little Jimmy even threw a rock at a 'science' teacher! We're so proud!"

I bring this up here, though, because my favorite (in a "I may want to kill myself now" sort of way) line of all time from their newsletters discussed their kids' homeschool project of building a model of a dinosaur, which they described with the cheerful note, "Dinosaurs frequently roamed Europe during the Middle Ages, and knights could win great acclaim by killing them!" It seems I really need to reread the Canterbury Tales, since I apparently overlooked the bit where the Wife of Bath gets eaten by a velociraptor.

The Canterbury Tales and Dinosaurs? Impossible. Next you'll be suggesting that someone will update works of classic literature with modern horror tropes, like... like, say.... Eine kleine Nachtmusik with Vampires.

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:11 pm

Muravyets wrote:The Titans were one set of giants and were gods before the Olympians, but, the ancient tales tended to cast many non-god or demi-god heroes as giants -- or at least larger than life. Orion was supposedly a giant. Orestes was supposedly a giant. Neither was a Titan.

But what is your explanation for them having such stories in the first place? Your theory is that the stories came first, and the observations to "support" them later; which requires an independent explanation of the origin of the stories.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:19 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Muravyets wrote:The Titans were one set of giants and were gods before the Olympians, but, the ancient tales tended to cast many non-god or demi-god heroes as giants -- or at least larger than life. Orion was supposedly a giant. Orestes was supposedly a giant. Neither was a Titan.

But what is your explanation for them having such stories in the first place? Your theory is that the stories came first, and the observations to "support" them later; which requires an independent explanation of the origin of the stories.

Have you read the thread yet? I'm not answering any questions until you read the thread. Because if you read the thread, then you'll know that the answer to your first question (in your previous post to me) is already in the thread, and also that what you say is my "theory" is, in fact, nothing of the sort. It is my hope that will motivate you not to ask me silly questions.

But since I can't answer any questions until you can attest that you have read the thread, let me pass the time by asking you one: Do you have some kind of an inner drive to hijack threads by challenging me on stupidly obvious points that anyone who claims to be well read would already know, but which have not one single thing to do with the topic?
Last edited by Muravyets on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:21 pm

Muravyets wrote:

The Canterbury Tales and Dinosaurs? Impossible. Next you'll be suggesting that someone will update works of classic literature with modern horror tropes, like... like, say.... Eine kleine Nachtmusik with Vampires.

Hey, I just recently read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies -- I'm telling you, it's the new trend in entertainment.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:22 pm

Also, anyone else find that they have an odd propensity for portraying everything they do in a positive light, ala "And today we told those dirty hippies to get a job or go to hell and die!" or "And then we all took turns making cranks calls against that sinful gay couple. It was fun for the whole family!"
Then they portray what anyone not them does in a very nasty light, "And those satanist liberals down the street where feeding the homeless again!"
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Poliwanacraca
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Poliwanacraca » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:24 pm

Muravyets wrote:

We should write to the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies guy and suggest it. I would totally read/watch The Canterbury Tales and Dinosaurs.

Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his half cours yronne,
And giante dinos stompen everybodye,
And eaten them untill they were all bloodye...
"You know...I've just realized that "Poliwanacraca" is, when rendered in Arabic, an anagram for "Bom-chica-wohw-waaaow", the famous "sexy riff" that was born in the 70's and will live forever..." - Hammurab
----
"Extortion is such a nasty word.
I much prefer 'magnolia'. 'Magnolia' is a much nicer word." - Saint Clair Island

----
"Go forth my snarky diaper babies, and CONQUER!" - Neo Art

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:26 pm

SaintB wrote:
Also, anyone else find that they have an odd propensity for portraying everything they do in a positive light, ala "And today we told those dirty hippies to get a job or go to hell and die!" or "And then we all took turns making cranks calls against that sinful gay couple. It was fun for the whole family!"
Then they portray what anyone not them does in a very nasty light, "And those satanist liberals down the street where feeding the homeless again!"

Well, DUH. That's because they're saved and you're not, you damned hippie liberal commie fag-non-hater. Being saved means you can boil and eat all the babies you want, and still be cool with Jesus (maybe not Baby Jesus, but whatever). But boiling and eating babies when you're not saved is just satanic.

Geez-gods, I hate that I'm familiar enough with lunatics like these to figure that out.

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Muravyets wrote:I feel a movie script coming on...

Hey, I just recently read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies -- I'm telling you, it's the new trend in entertainment.

That sounds like a made-up book to me. Certainly, it's nowhere near as plausible as my latest (inexplicably rejected) script, Citizen Kane and the Flesh-Eating Werewolves from Outer Space.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Poliwanacraca wrote:We should write to the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies guy and suggest it. I would totally read/watch The Canterbury Tales and Dinosaurs.

Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licour
Of which vertu engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his half cours yronne,
And giante dinos stompen everybodye,
And eaten them untill they were all bloodye...

Brillliant! Green light it! :rofl:

Non Aligned States
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Non Aligned States » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Muravyets wrote:Hey, I just recently read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies -- I'm telling you, it's the new trend in entertainment.

What about the Shakespearan works? Romeo and Juliet and the Ring (the 2002 version)? :p

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Saint Clair Island wrote:The Canterbury Tales and Dinosaurs? Impossible. Next you'll be suggesting that someone will update works of classic literature with modern horror tropes, like... like, say.... Eine kleine Nachtmusik with Vampires.

That sounds like a made-up book to me. Certainly, it's nowhere near as plausible as my latest (inexplicably rejected) script, Citizen Kane and the Flesh-Eating Werewolves from Outer Space.

Which is a surprise when you see the stuff that DOES make it.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:That sounds like a made-up book to me. Certainly, it's nowhere near as plausible as my latest (inexplicably rejected) script, Citizen Kane and the Flesh-Eating Werewolves from Outer Space.

Inasmuch as it is fiction, it is a made-up book, but some guy did in fact write it.

http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Z ... 1594743347

Last edited by Muravyets on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:33 pm

Muravyets wrote:Hey, I just recently read Pride and Prejudice and Zombies -- I'm telling you, it's the new trend in entertainment.

What about the Shakespearan works? Romeo and Juliet and the Ring (the 2002 version)? :p

Don't forget Othello and the Living Dead

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:34 pm

Muravyets wrote:
Saint Clair Island wrote:That sounds like a made-up book to me. Certainly, it's nowhere near as plausible as my latest (inexplicably rejected) script, Citizen Kane and the Flesh-Eating Werewolves from Outer Space.

Inasmuch as it is fiction, it is a made-up book, but some guy did in fact write it.

Exactly -- it's made up, it's fiction. Zombies never really attacked nineteenth-century England! >:(

Non Aligned States
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Non Aligned States » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:35 pm

SaintB wrote:Don't forget Othello and the Living Dead

It had a surprise twist when Othello tried to smother his wife, except she was already undead. Othello's shock only lasted long enough for her to put the bite on him.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:35 pm

SaintB wrote:

Don't forget Othello and the Living Dead

Not Twelfth Night of the Living Dead?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General