NATION

PASSWORD

Congresswoman Gabby Giffords Shot in Head

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Marsini wrote:1. It is reckless to designate blame without evidence. Everybody was pissed when I said that it was an agent from Djbouti with the same amount of concrete evidence as they had. I expect reasonable standards other than the Tea Party motivated it because they said stuff.

I'm not designating blame without evidence. What I'm talking about is already a matter of public record (the rhetoric), and I'm not saying it forced an assailant to do anything.

Marsini wrote:2. Palin isn't a governor anymore, she is a celebrity. I prefer her to the morons in hollywood who support Hugo Chavez. Bachmann isn't a mainstream Republican to my knowledge. She also took back the statements questioning Obama's patriotism- which is the worst thing I found in an immediate search. Why not attempt Michael Steele or Boehner?

3. Actually, it is relatively different. You would be explicitly advocating for me to murder myself. The Tea Party is using indirect rhetoric. Moral responsibility means that they did something directly and undeniably morally reprehensible. Telling somebody to die falls under such a definition. Warning that a revolution would occur if the people's rights were violated is not morally reprehensible- although I disagree with even saying it this early if at all- it simply isn't. The fact is to be morally reprehensible you would have had to have a hand in the crime or directly incited the crime. The legal standards are relatively effective when it comes to this.

Bachmann has called for "insurrection" against the GOP, said she wanted people "armed and dangerous" and said they needed to "fight back" when she disapproved of a tax plan... Sarah Palin told Americans "Dont' retreat, instead - RELOAD". This rhetoric is out there, and you can choose to pretend it's not, but you don't just get to deny it and have it go away.

The Explicit Proof Defense: We didn't straight out tell them to kill the opposition, so we're perfectly fine to say what we want, and we didn't play a damn part in provoking the shooter.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:38 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No, it was John McCain's illegitimate child. You know, the one we heard about in the 2000 Republican primaries.

Are you sure? A Brownie at a Safeway would stand out to the blind.

He didn't actually go into the Safeway, now did he?
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Congresswoman Gabby Giffords Shot in Head

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:40 pm

The Bleeding Roses wrote:Interesting pattern in this fucktard's writing style.

Makes a statement.
Repeats that statement in a more concise form using virtually the same language.
Makes a conclusion statement that repeats it again.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread591520/pg1
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread592730/pg1
http://www.youtube.com/user/classitup10 ... nNx0WThoF0 :15 second mark
http://www.youtube.com/user/classitup10 ... HoaZaLbqB4 entire video
etc...

No, you're missing it. He's tracing what he sees as the logical steps in Boolean fashion, while ignoring the disconnection between his logical variables and reality. It's almost mathematical...

Is it possible for an infinite source of currency?

If a member of the treasury creates 5 new currency's then the new currency replaces the previous currency.
If the new currency replaces the previous currency then the previous currency is no longer in use.
A members of the treasury creates 5 new currency's.
Therefore, the previous currency is no longer in use.

If the treasury creates a new currency then the new currency will replace the previous currency.
The treasury creates a new currency.
Therefore, the new currency will replace the previous currency.

If the treasury creates one new currency then why couldn't they create an infinite amount?

Wouldn't be beautiful to see your face on the new coins?

Reduces to:

A?

B → C
C → D
B
∴ D

C → D
C
∴ D

B → A.

A

E?

Kind of like watching a painfully slow and uncertain mind work its way through a set of logical connections to a conclusion, even though the implications aren't really sound.

Ice cream implies hot fudge.
Hot fudge implies happiness.
Ergo, ice cream implies happiness.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all have hot fudge sundaes?

I wonder if this guy had some kind of obsessive learning disorder.

Greater Americania wrote:That would make sense. The Congresswoman he shot did support anti-illegal immigration reforms, so logically, it wouldn't be surprising at all if some left-wing extremist took the initiative to commit this massacre on those grounds. If so, it's only more proof that radical leftism is becoming more and more of a threat in modern western society.

Come on, GA, you can do better than that! He said that he liked "The Communist Manifesto", "Mein Kampf", and "We the Living". So does that make him a Communist Neo-Nazi Objectivist?!?

I doubt he actually read half of his "favorite books". Seriously.
Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Mercator Terra
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mercator Terra » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:49 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:Have you studied the psychology of ever Swiss citizen? This argument is weak.

They have lots of guns but they tend to kill people a lot less than America which has loads of guns.

Sorry, what conclusion was I supposed to reach?

They have more guns then us and have extremely less murder rates. Either that they somehow have more humanity then us or what I said is true.
EDIT: Eliminating guns from the market wont do anything, like I said they will just reappear in a black market. Like drugs...
Last edited by Mercator Terra on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vecherd wrote:
Linperia wrote:how can a market be free if we got participants with very few money and with a lot.
but maybe a equal market would lead to a free society.

A society that puts equality ahead of freedom will end up with neither.

Amoral Stirnerite Individualist Market Anarchist

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.” Friedrich Nietzsche
“Whoever will be free must make himself free. Freedom is no fairy gift to fall into a man's lap. What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self.”-Max Stirner

Maxen von Bismarck
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Maxen von Bismarck » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:58 pm

Hate to jump in midstream here but from what I can gather the crazy guy was not a right winger or a lefty. None of his extensive online ramblings reference anything beyond allusions to 'Mein Kampf,' Karl Marx and some weird hate of the American government (sans the healthcare debate, Obama, Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck ect ect). His only "favorited" YouTube movie is one of a burning American flag and, for the record, he's an atheist. His classmate said he was a classic 'left-winger' before he turned really crazy, but in any event... I don't think it was political in the classical sense.

*shrugs*

Carry on general. Just a RPer and his ramblings.

EDIT: The thing I don't get is why we hate on the Tea Partiers so much for their gun loving shit. Wasn't there a West Virginia Democrat who ran an ad with him shooting things with his rifle? I mean, it happens on both sides and Krugman's op-ed is still... Disgusting.
Last edited by Maxen von Bismarck on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Nation. :)

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
They have lots of guns but they tend to kill people a lot less than America which has loads of guns.

They have more guns then us and have extremely less murder rates. Either that they somehow have more humanity then us or what I said is true.
EDIT: Eliminating guns from the market wont do anything, like I said they will just reappear in a black market. Like drugs...

Apparently the point about increasing the difficulty of gun access to unstable types- rather than your favorite strawman of eliminating gun accessibility period- went through your head faster than the bullet went through Gabrielle Giffords'.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Congresswoman Gabby Giffords Shot in Head

Postby Alien Space Bats » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:11 pm

BTW, I want to say that I am impressed by the way Arizona is handling this case.

Arizona has arranged for Judy Clarke, to be brought in from San Diego to serve as Laughner's defense attorney. Clarke is one of the nation's top public defenders, having represented Ted Kaczynski (a/k/a "the Unabomber"), Zacarias Moussaoui (who was involved 9/11 attacks), and Susan Smith (the woman convicted in 1995 for having drowned her two sons). By securing the services of a top ranked public defender who is experienced in high-profile cases, Arizona has done what it can to ensure against the possibility of successful appeal of any conviction due to incompetent counsel.

They are also keeping a careful lid on their evidence, seeking to do their best to avoid tainting any possible jury. It is a given that the trial will require a change of venue. I should also note that Judge Roll's colleagues have recused themselves from the case, which will mean that a different Federal judge will need to be brought in to hear the case where Federal charges (eg., assaulting a Member of Congress) are concerned.

My hope is that Arizona will continue to show the utmost professionalism and responsibility in its handling of this case, providing us all with a textbook example of how matters like this are supposed to be handled.

And while I want to give the local police kudos for their devotion to duty in the handling of this case, I suspect that some of the credit for this belongs to Gov. Jan Brewer, who is a friend of Congresswoman Giffords. She of all people certainly wants to make sure that the wheels of justice grind exceedingly fine on this one...
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Maxen von Bismarck wrote:Hate to jump in midstream here but from what I can gather the crazy guy was not a right winger or a lefty. None of his extensive online ramblings reference anything beyond allusions to 'Mein Kampf,' Karl Marx and some weird hate of the American government (sans the healthcare debate, Obama, Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck ect ect). His only "favorited" YouTube movie is one of a burning American flag and, for the record, he's an atheist. His classmate said he was a classic 'left-winger' before he turned really crazy, but in any event... I don't think it was political in the classical sense.

*shrugs*

EDIT: The thing I don't get is why we hate on the Tea Partiers so much for their gun loving shit. Wasn't there a West Virginia Democrat who ran an ad with him shooting things with his rifle? I mean, it happens on both sides and Krugman's op-ed is still... Disgusting.

Source? I'd be glad to denounce that too. I'm against violence centered rhetoric from all sides.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Mercator Terra wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:

I'm sorry, but what?

Removing a significant proportion of guns from Australia's gun market seems to have done nothing at all to increase the black market in guns.

Unfortunately for you also, Switzerland has about half as many guns per capita as the US. Ha.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:15 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:They have more guns then us and have extremely less murder rates. Either that they somehow have more humanity then us or what I said is true.

I'm sorry, but what?

Removing a significant proportion of guns from Australia's gun market seems to have done nothing at all to increase the black market in guns.

Unfortunately for you also, Switzerland has about half as many guns per capita as the US. Ha.

I honestly had no idea we had that many. I'm guessing that I have a gun stashed somewhere but must have forgotten all about it.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Maxen von Bismarck
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Maxen von Bismarck » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:16 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Maxen von Bismarck wrote:Hate to jump in midstream here but from what I can gather the crazy guy was not a right winger or a lefty. None of his extensive online ramblings reference anything beyond allusions to 'Mein Kampf,' Karl Marx and some weird hate of the American government (sans the healthcare debate, Obama, Sarah Palin, Glenn Beck ect ect). His only "favorited" YouTube movie is one of a burning American flag and, for the record, he's an atheist. His classmate said he was a classic 'left-winger' before he turned really crazy, but in any event... I don't think it was political in the classical sense.

*shrugs*

Source? I'd be glad to denounce that too. I'm against violence centered rhetoric from all sides.

YouTube/Google Joe Manchin. *high fives* It's somewhere in my "lulz" bookmark folder... Somewhere. Heh.
Last edited by Maxen von Bismarck on Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Nation. :)

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:20 pm

Maxen von Bismarck wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:

YouTube/Google Joe Manchin. *high fives* It's somewhere in my "lulz" bookmark folder... Somewhere. Heh.

Having watched his video, I see what you mean, and luckily I also see links indicating that he caught enough flak for it to make the news.

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

The Lone Alliance
Powerbroker

Founded: May 25, 2005

Postby The Lone Alliance » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:22 pm

New Nicksyllvania wrote:Finally, a gunman who is actually a decent shot.

Nick, there is a line, and you crossed it.
"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger." -Herman Goering
--------------
War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; -William Tecumseh Sherman

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Desperate Measures wrote:
South Norwega wrote:I'm sorry, but what?

I honestly had no idea we had that many. I'm guessing that I have a gun stashed somewhere but must have forgotten all about it.

No, you only have 0.9 of a gun, unfortunately.

I'm not entirely sure what that means, though. I expect it would lack some parts which made it work, thus the world would be a safer place.
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:31 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Gauthier wrote:
Are you sure? A Brownie at a Safeway would stand out to the blind.

He didn't actually go into the Safeway, now did he?

He came out from it.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:He didn't actually go into the Safeway, now did he?

He came out from it.

Did he? I missed that. Still, McCain's love-child might be light-skinned.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:48 pm

South Norwega wrote:
Mercator Terra wrote:They have more guns then us and have extremely less murder rates. Either that they somehow have more humanity then us or what I said is true.

I'm sorry, but what?

Still not accurate. Only half of households, at most have guns, with most of those probably belonging to only one or two people in the households.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Intangelon
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Intangelon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Azaca wrote:And now that fuck head preacher is going to protest the funerals of those 6 dead! What a fucking asshole douchebag cock dick! pardon my french. :meh:

The Phelps clan are real life douchebags trolls who do it for attention and lawsuit money. Nobody has figured out how to banhammer them in real life.

Well, not really. There are plenty of ways to banhammer them. It's just that they all wind up making martyrs of the Phelps' and criminals of the hammer-wielder.
+11,569 posts from Jolt/OMAC
Oh beautiful for pilgrim feet / Whose stern, impassioned stress / A thoroughfare for freedom beat / Across the wilderness!
America! America! / God mend thine ev’ry flaw; / Confirm thy soul in self-control / Thy liberty in law....

Lunatic Goofballs: The problem is that the invisible men in the sky don't tell you how to live your life.
Their fan clubs do.

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:Unarmed citizens did defend themselves in this story. They overpowered the armed assailant and disarmed him. Furthermore, Arizona allows concealed carry, and it made no difference to the defence, because no one (else) was armed when it mattered.

Actually, one of the news programmes I happened to catch interviewed someone who had, but didn't use, a concealed gun.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:09 pm

More on how bad it's gotten: http://www.csgv.org/issues-and-campaigns/guns-democracy-and-freedom/insurrection-timeline

Some highlights:

July 27, 2008—Jim Adkisson shoots and kills two people at a progressive church in Knoxville, Tennessee, wounding two. Adkisson calls it “a symbolic killing” because he really “wanted to kill…every Democrat in the Senate & House, the 100 people in Bernard Goldberg's book,” but was unable to gain access to them.
March 21-22, 2009—Congresswoman Michele Bachmann (R-MN) states that she wants residents of her state to be “armed and dangerous on this issue of the energy tax because we need to fight back. Thomas Jefferson told us ‘having a revolution every now and then is a good thing,’ and the people—we the people—are going to have to fight back hard if we’re not going to lose our country.”
April 4, 2009—Neo-Nazi Richard Poplawski shoots and kills three police officers responding to a 911 call to his home in Pittsburgh. His friend Edward Perkovic tells reporters that Poplawski feared “the Obama gun ban that’s on its way” and “didn’t like our rights being infringed upon.” Perkovic also commented that Poplawski carried out the shooting because “if anyone tried to take his firearms, he was gonna’ stand by what his forefathers told him to do.”
June 3, 2009—Hal Turner, a New Jersey resident and white supremacist blogger/radio host, is arrested on charges of inciting injury after calling for the deaths of two Connecticut state legislators on his blog because they sponsored a bill that would have transferred financial power in Roman Catholic parishes from priests and bishops to lay members. “While filing a lawsuit is quaint and the 'decent' way to handle things,” he wrote, “we at TRN (Turner Radio Network) believe that being decent to a group of tyrannical scumbags is the wrong approach. It's too soft. Thankfully, the Founding Fathers gave us the tools necessary to resolve tyranny: The Second Amendment. TRN advocates Catholics in Connecticut take up arms and put down this tyranny by force ... If any state attorney, police department or court thinks they're going to get uppity with us about this, I suspect we have enough bullets to put them down, too.”
July 15, 2009—Katherine Crabill, a Republican candidate for the Virginia House of Delegates in the state’s 99th District makes headlines by calling on Americans to resist the course President Obama has set for the country. Appearing at a “Tea Party” rally, Crabill quotes a 1775 speech by Patrick Henry and then states, “We have a chance to fight this battle at the ballot box before we have to resort to the bullet box. But that's the beauty of our Second Amendment right. I am glad for all of us who enjoy the use of firearms for hunting. But make no mistake. That was not the intent of the Founding Fathers. Our Second Amendment right was to guard against tyranny.” This thought is reinforced on Crabill’s campaign website, where she states the Second Amendment “was clearly intended for self defense as well as, and more specifically, to keep the government on notice of an armed citizenry.”

And it just keeps going on.

Still think they aren't advocating clear violence?

Edit: Some more extremely clear ones found on further reading:
September 28, 2009—Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA), the Chairman of the Second Amendment Task Force in the U.S. House of Representatives, calls House Speaker Nancy Pelosi a “domestic enemy of the Constitution” at a health care reform town hall meeting.
March 23, 2010—After Mike Troxel of the Lynchburg Tea Party and Nigel Coleman of the Danville Tea Party post the home address of the brother of Rep. Tom Perriello (D-VA) and urge supporters to "drop by," someone deliberately cuts a propane gas line at the house. Rep. Perriello is targeted by the Tea Party activists because of his vote in favor of health care reform. Perriello's brother and his wife have four children under the age of eight.
April 13, 2010—Reports surface that state Sen. Randy Brogdon (R-OK) and Rep. Charles Key (R-OK) have met with Oklahoma Tea Party groups to discuss the formation of a new "volunteer militia" to defend against what they see as improprer federal infringements on state sovereignty. Brogdon states that the Founding Fathers "were not referring to a turkey shoot or a quail hunt. They really weren't even talking about us having the ability to protect ourselves against each other. The Second Amendment deals directly with the right of an individual to keep and bear arms to protect themselves from an overreaching federal government." One Tea Party leader involved in these meetings, J.W. Berry of the Tulsa-based OKforTea group, has called for the Militia to "launch a thousand guerrilla attacks on the plans that these people have to ruin us and our country."
June 9, 2010—Addressing the Obama administration and the Democratic-controlled Congress, FOX commentator Glenn Beck says, "Shoot me in the head if you try to change our government—I will stand against you. And so will millions of others." Beck also compares American Progressives to Osama bin Laden and claims "they want to overthrow our entire system of government."

Edit: And here's one that shows that this kind of thing is easy to take too far:
November 10, 2010—Public schools in Broward County, Florida, go into lockdown after an email threat is received by WFTL 850 AM. The email is sent to conservative radio host Joyce Kaufman in response to remarks she made at a Tea Party event in July ("If ballots don't work, bullets will"). The email expresses support for her view of the Second Amendment and says that to further "their cause...something big will happen at a government building in Broward County, maybe a post office maybe even a school." A phone call is then received at the station, allegedly from the emailer's wife, warning that he is preparing to go to a Pembroke Pines school and open fire.
Last edited by Wikkiwallana on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Xenohumanity wrote:

The Plutonian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Plutonian Empire » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Anyone else see this guy actually freaking smiling in his mugshot photo?

What would that be an indicator of, generally?
Pro: Nukes, Imperialism, LGBT+ Rights, Welfare, Universal Basic Income, Universal Healthcare, Womens' Rights, Equal Pay, Space & Science prioritizaiton, Privacy, Net Neutrality, Abortion, Environmentalism, Free Love Freedom.
Neutral: Religion.
Against: Capitalism, Fascism, Surveillance, Police Militarization, Misogyny, Thought Policing.

RIP: Grandma Pat, 1934 - 2009
Celestia 1.6.1., Space Engine 0.980, Lavender Skies
Political Compass as of: Dec. 23, 2018
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 pm

The Plutonian Empire wrote:Anyone else see this guy actually freaking smiling in his mugshot photo?

Wanting to look good for the papers?
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:24 pm

The Plutonian Empire wrote:Anyone else see this guy actually freaking smiling in his mugshot photo?

Being proud of what he did?

Maybe he feels like he's a hero, for taking down the evil oppressor state, or something?
I identify as
a problem

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:

Being proud of what he did?

Maybe he feels like he's a hero, for taking down the evil oppressor state, or something?

I wonder how his ego would handle his heroes calling him a fucking traitor?

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:31 pm

also worth remembering are things like this report from politico last spring:
Senate Sergeant at Arms Terrance Gainer says threats against members of Congress were up 300 percent in the first few months of 2010.
Last edited by Free Soviets on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General