NATION

PASSWORD

[Scrapped]

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hayteria
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:21 am

Dakini wrote:So my case is different, but the case where a group of girls tormenting a guy isn't? I've never seen a group of girls torment a guy, hell, I've never seen a group of anyone torment anyone else who wasn't considered an outsider.

So my case is special, but this other case is par for the course because it fits your paradigm of unfair social interactions?

What paradigm, what the hell are you talking about?

I don't recall seeing a group of girls tormenting a guy either, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't happen. The relevant point isn't about what they would do, but about how people would react.

Also, the anecdote did not imply any relevant special circumstances, and I would think that such circumstances would be taken into account if they were relevant.

Hayteria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:22 am

Gagatron wrote:I personally think it is unacceptable for anyone to hit someone unless in dire need of self defense.

I agree. However, like I was saying earlier, being upset does tend to interfere with one's rationality. It doesn't justify what he did, but presents some form of plausible excuse.

Gagatron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:24 am

Hayteria wrote:
Gagatron wrote:I personally think it is unacceptable for anyone to hit someone unless in dire need of self defense.

I agree. However, like I was saying earlier, being upset does tend to interfere with one's rationality. It doesn't justify what he did, but presents some form of plausible excuse.

I find it funny that feminists like to encourage the idea that women are stronger than men, but then get just as pissed when a guy hits a girl. Very ironic.
God, I want to dream again,
Take me where I've never been.
I wanna go there,
This time I'm not scared.
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

All sin is deserving of death.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:29 am

Gagatron wrote:
Hayteria wrote:I agree. However, like I was saying earlier, being upset does tend to interfere with one's rationality. It doesn't justify what he did, but presents some form of plausible excuse.

I find it funny that feminists like to encourage the idea that women are stronger than men, but then get just as pissed when a guy hits a girl. Very ironic.

different kind of strength.

and perhaps you would provide an instance of "feminists" getting unjustly upset over a girl getting hit by a guy.
whatever

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:30 am

Gagatron wrote:
Hayteria wrote:I agree. However, like I was saying earlier, being upset does tend to interfere with one's rationality. It doesn't justify what he did, but presents some form of plausible excuse.

I find the urge among young men to hit people puzzling. As for you, Matthew 5:38-42 & Luke 6:27-31.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:30 am

Hayteria wrote:

explanation not excuse.

there is no excuse for punching someone in the head without being physically threatened.
Last edited by Ashmoria on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatever

Hayteria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:31 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Gagatron wrote:I find it funny that feminists like to encourage the idea that women are stronger than men, but then get just as pissed when a guy hits a girl. Very ironic.

different kind of strength.

and perhaps you would provide an instance of "feminists" getting unjustly upset over a girl getting hit by a guy.

I'm guessing the point Gagatron was trying to make is that feminists don't seem to protest near as much against double standards like "wouldn't hit a girl" as they are against forms of discrimination based on similar reasoning.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:32 am

Hayteria wrote:
Dakini wrote:So my case is different, but the case where a group of girls tormenting a guy isn't? I've never seen a group of girls torment a guy, hell, I've never seen a group of anyone torment anyone else who wasn't considered an outsider.

So my case is special, but this other case is par for the course because it fits your paradigm of unfair social interactions?

What paradigm, what the hell are you talking about?

I don't recall seeing a group of girls tormenting a guy either, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't happen. The relevant point isn't about what they would do, but about how people would react.

Also, the anecdote did not imply any relevant special circumstances, and I would think that such circumstances would be taken into account if they were relevant.

You believe that it is more socially acceptable for girls to hit boys than it is for boys to hit girls. This is part of your paradigm.

You present an anecdote of a group of girls tormenting a guy until he hits one of them and is then demonised for this action. I'm telling you that groups of people do not continually harass one individual without the individual being considered an outsider in some way. He doesn't have to be new to the school, he could be a shy, a nerd, he could be poor, he could have no fashion sense, he could just be unpopular. Either way, something has set him apart from the rest of the student (I assume, I don't think this shit happens outside school-aged individuals) population and he is treated as an outsider, even if he has grown up with the people who treat him this way. If he wasn't an outsider, he wouldn't receive this treatment, he would have friends to back him up, he would have a means to escape this torment (e.g. by hanging out with his friends where he is less likely to be the target of harassment). He is as much of an outsider as I was. People don't bully people who fit in, at least not exclusively or not relentlessly.

So really, no, the situation isn't all that different. However, you like to argue that my case is special and thus invalid just so you can maintain your claim that society's treatment of a member of one gender hitting a member of another gender is unbalanced.

Similarly, you ignore all the posters who have come on here and stated that they don't believe that responding to words with violence is acceptable for anyone because it is not convenient for your paradigm.

Similarly, you ignore the fact that girls are taught from a young age that in order for them to be good, they don't hit anybody at all and simply state that it's only relevant that boys are taught not to hit girls. There is a double standard here: girls are taught that it's never acceptable for them to hit anyone and boys are taught that it's only ok to hit each other. I don't think this is the sort of double standard you're looking for though since you're looking for one that is unfair to men.
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:33 am

Hayteria wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:different kind of strength.

I'm guessing the point Gagatron was trying to make is that feminists don't seem to protest near as much against double standards like "wouldn't hit a girl" as they are against forms of discrimination based on similar reasoning.

im guessing that he doesnt know what he is talking about and is arguing from the same ignorance as you are.

unless you can point to situations where "feminists" unjustly got upset over a guy hitting a girl you (and he) are talking out your ass.
whatever

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 am

Gagatron wrote:

I find it funny when chauvists make claims that are not supported by fact. It's nice when they demonstrate how disconnected their views are from reality.
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hayteria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:58 am

Dakini wrote:You believe that it is more socially acceptable for girls to hit boys than it is for boys to hit girls.

It is not just me. It seems to be a major cultural concept.

Dakini wrote:You present an anecdote of a group of girls tormenting a guy until he hits one of them and is then demonised for this action. I'm telling you that groups of people do not continually harass one individual without the individual being considered an outsider in some way. He doesn't have to be new to the school, he could be a shy, a nerd, he could be poor, he could have no fashion sense, he could just be unpopular.

Well, perhaps he might have been gay and/or a dork, seeing as how these were supposedly among the insults they dished out. The question, then, is whether or not a lesbian or geeky girl would get bullied by a group of guys in a similar context, and given no consideration once they resort to violence. (If they do.)

Dakini wrote:Either way, something has set him apart from the rest of the student (I assume, I don't think this shit happens outside school-aged individuals)

Why wouldn't it? If that level of cruelty is within them, what is to stop it from resurfacing at an older age?

Dakini wrote:He is as much of an outsider as I was.

Not necessarily. Being new to a place is different from merely being unpopular, especially when it comes to what bullies think they can get away with. (An unpopular guy might at least know how to convince teachers to side with him... the new guy would not know the place as well as those who were around before him do, and bullies would probably expect to have the advantage in that case.)

Dakini wrote:So really, no, the situation isn't all that different. However, you like to argue that my case is special and thus invalid just so you can maintain your claim that society's treatment of a member of one gender hitting a member of another gender is unbalanced.

Actually, that is not the only way to maintain such a claim. Again, it is a major cultural concept and not just the impression I have to some extent gotten.

Dakini wrote:Similarly, you ignore all the posters who have come on here and stated that they don't believe that responding to words with violence is acceptable

Bullshit. I repeatedly address their posts, (often checking to see if they would apply the same logic were the genders reversed) and even my initial post in this thread acknowledged that he should not have resorted to violence.

Dakini wrote:Similarly, you ignore the fact that girls are taught from a young age that in order for them to be good, they don't hit anybody at all

I don't ignore it. I just doubt it is actually applied like it is taught; how often do you see girls who resort to violence being perceived sympathetically in comparison to guys?

Dakini wrote:There is a double standard here: girls are taught that it's never acceptable for them to hit anyone and boys are taught that it's only ok to hit each other.

Depends on who you ask. I got the impression that violence against each gender was generally condemned for both genders, but that it was considered especially bad for a guy to hit a girl.

Nobel Hobos
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Nobel Hobos » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Hayteria wrote:I got the impression that violence against each gender was generally condemned for both genders, but that it was considered especially bad for a guy to hit a girl.

You really should have just said that in the OP. "I got the impression" is really all this thread is about, and I retain a great contempt for the disingenuous way you started this thread.
AKA & RIP BunnySaurus Bugsii, Lucky Bicycle Works, Mean Feat, Godforsaken Warmachine, Class Warhair, Pandarchy

I'm sure I was excited when I won and bummed when I lost, but none of that stuck. Cause I was a kid, and I was alternately stoked and bummed at pretty much any given time. -Cannot think of a name
Brown people are only scary to those whose only contribution to humanity is their white skin.Big Jim P
I am a Christian. Christianity is my Morality's base OS.DASHES
... when the Light on the Hill dims, there are Greener pastures.Ardchoille

Hayteria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Nobel Hobos wrote:
Hayteria wrote:I got the impression that violence against each gender was generally condemned for both genders, but that it was considered especially bad for a guy to hit a girl.

You really should have just said that in the OP. "I got the impression" is really all this thread is about, and I retain a great contempt for the disingenuous way you started this thread.

Disingenuous? It is only disingenuous if you do not mean what you said. At the time I meant what I said, because I did not see why my interpretation of the anecdote would have been flawed.

To be fair, Ifrean had a somewhat insightful perspective, it is worth another thread to reference it...

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:14 pm

Hayteria wrote:
Dakini wrote:You believe that it is more socially acceptable for girls to hit boys than it is for boys to hit girls.

It is not just me. It seems to be a major cultural concept.

TvTropes is not the only website on the internet. Stop using it as the ultimate guide to reality. Also stop acting like "cultural concepts" are 1. universal 2. static.

Dakini wrote:You present an anecdote of a group of girls tormenting a guy until he hits one of them and is then demonised for this action. I'm telling you that groups of people do not continually harass one individual without the individual being considered an outsider in some way. He doesn't have to be new to the school, he could be a shy, a nerd, he could be poor, he could have no fashion sense, he could just be unpopular.

Well, perhaps he might have been gay and/or a dork, seeing as how these were supposedly among the insults they dished out. The question, then, is whether or not a lesbian or geeky girl would get bullied by a group of guys in a similar context, and given no consideration once they resort to violence. (If they do.)

I don't think that anyone who escalates verbal conflicts to physical violence deserves any consideration for resorting to violence. I don't care if they were picked on their whole lives by the same people, in a civilized society, this is unacceptable behaviour.

Dakini wrote:Either way, something has set him apart from the rest of the student (I assume, I don't think this shit happens outside school-aged individuals)

Why wouldn't it? If that level of cruelty is within them, what is to stop it from resurfacing at an older age?

Because people tend to grow up and stop being such idiots. Additionally, after people leave high school, they will often find different social circles to run in where they can avoid people who would torment them.

Dakini wrote:He is as much of an outsider as I was.

Not necessarily. Being new to a place is different from merely being unpopular, especially when it comes to what bullies think they can get away with. (An unpopular guy might at least know how to convince teachers to side with him... the new guy would not know the place as well as those who were around before him do, and bullies would probably expect to have the advantage in that case.)

The setting for your anecdote was not necessarily at a school, they could have been outside school where the guy would have had no recourse. Furthermore, I'd been at this school for a year. I wasn't quite so new (which is why the other kids were starting to lay off a little) and I knew where the principal's office was.

Dakini wrote:Similarly, you ignore all the posters who have come on here and stated that they don't believe that responding to words with violence is acceptable

Bullshit. I repeatedly address their posts, (often checking to see if they would apply the same logic were the genders reversed) and even my initial post in this thread acknowledged that he should not have resorted to violence.

Yet you still maintain that this would have been different if a girl had hit a boy?

I've seen a girl hit a buy at a bar, she got called a bitch and left the place really fast. There isn't much sympathy for girls who hit boys either.

Granted, the behaviour of some men at bars warrants some level of physical violence (e.g. I've been groped without my permission [which by the way is sexual assault if that's not clear], I've seen men grab women in what looks like a rough way to prevent them from leaving) so I'm not sure what the circumstances were there and whether she was in the right or not.

Dakini wrote:Similarly, you ignore the fact that girls are taught from a young age that in order for them to be good, they don't hit anybody at all

I don't ignore it. I just doubt it is actually applied like it is taught; how often do you see girls who resort to violence being perceived sympathetically in comparison to guys?

I don't see girls acting violently nearly as much as guys. Usually when I see guys being overtly violent it's amongst themselves.

Dakini wrote:There is a double standard here: girls are taught that it's never acceptable for them to hit anyone and boys are taught that it's only ok to hit each other.

Depends on who you ask. I got the impression that violence against each gender was generally condemned for both genders, but that it was considered especially bad for a guy to hit a girl.

I would say that it's especially bad for a bigger person to hit a smaller person, especially if the smaller person presents no other physical threat to the bigger person. I'd probably be just as upset about a guy who's say 6'2" and 200 lbs hitting a man who is say 5'6" and 140 lbs as if he was hitting a woman of the same height and weight, but I'd still think that anyone who feels the need to resort to violence in anything other than self defence (or defence of another) is an idiot.
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:54 pm

Hayteria wrote:
Ifreann wrote:This doesn't really warrant discussion. Obviously if a woman is justified in hitting a man, and man would be justified in hitting a woman in the same situation. Knowing so little about the facts of this anecdotal situation, there's nothing to be gained trying to hash out whether the responses of those present would have been the same had the genders been reversed.

Oh please, we know enough. That the girls were heavily verbally abusing him means we know that they intended to cause him emotional harm. That they persisted in it means we know they wanted to get as much in as they could get away with. That he resorted to violence means we know that either he thought the benefit of hurting one of them outweighed the trouble he'd get in, or he was upset enough not to think it through rationally. That everyone sided with the girls as a result of this means we know that the people around him didn't mind him being persistently verbally abused, but did mind him physically hurting one of them.

And Ashmoria, at least you're being consistent. I just think more consideration should be given to the impact of being upset on their rationality, and at least some blame should be shifted onto them for provoking him in the first place.

Okay, wait, back up. I thought you were the guy who made 5,000 threads about how no one on the internet could 'know' someone's motivations or feelings. But now a short anecdote on the internet has totally changed that, and is backed up by... your imaginary idea of what might happen if the genders were reversed?

Seriously, how does your head not hurt? My head hurts.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Ryadn
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryadn » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:58 pm

Hayteria wrote:
Ifreann wrote:That doesn't follow. That the alleged victim in this case considered the abuse to be so serious doesn't mean it was intended to be so.

Oh really? Then what was the point of it, if not to cause emotional harm to him?

Ifreann wrote:Allegedly. Do we have an actual time frame?

See disclaimer, plus take into account that he claimed it was persistent and that they would not leave him alone.

Ifreann wrote:You make assumptions about their intents again, with no possibility of hearing their side.

I don't need to hear their side. Their intent is pretty apparent from their described behaviour.

Uh-huh. Let me suggest that if you ever intend to have or work with children, you disabuse yourself of these notions. I've had students come running to me telling me that so-and-so won't leave them alone, to find out that "won't leave them alone" actually meant that the other student kept saying a word or phrase that annoyed the first student---nothing insulting or obscene, just something that bugged him---and the kid who came to me with the complaint had decked the other kid for it.
Last edited by Ryadn on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I hate you! I HATE you collectivist society. You can't tell me what to do, you're not my REAL legitimate government. As soon as my band takes off, and I invent a perpetual motion machine, I am SO out of here!" - Neo Art

"But please, explain how a condom breaking is TOTALLY different from a tire getting blown out. I mean, in one case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own, and in the other case, a piece of rubber you're relying on to remain intact so that your risk of negative consequences won't significantly increase breaks through no inherent fault of your own." - The Norwegian Blue

Gagatron
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Dakini wrote:
Gagatron wrote:I find it funny that feminists like to encourage the idea that women are stronger than men, but then get just as pissed when a guy hits a girl. Very ironic.

I find it funny when chauvists make claims that are not supported by fact. It's nice when they demonstrate how disconnected their views are from reality.

Oh, so I'm a "chauvist"? Is that even a word? And yes, it is a fact, because I've heard feminists whine and complain about the unjustness about guys hitting girls, yet supporting girls hitting guys. It's a disgusting double standard.
I wanna go there,
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Gagatron wrote:
Dakini wrote:I find it funny when chauvists make claims that are not supported by fact. It's nice when they demonstrate how disconnected their views are from reality.

Oh, so I'm a "chauvist"? Is that even a word? And yes, it is a fact, because I've heard feminists whine and complain about the unjustness about guys hitting girls, yet supporting girls hitting guys. It's a disgusting double standard.

Chauvinist. Omg, I misspelled a word and it's clearly the end of the world.

No, feminists do not claim that women are stronger than men, despite your initial claim. Nor do we generally support girls hitting guys in anything other than self-defence (or perhaps the defence of others). Have you seen anyone here suggest that it's ok for a woman to hit a man for anything other than a return on earlier violence on the part of the man? I don't think you have.

So please, source your dubious claims or I'll continue to point out how disconnected your idea of reality is from the reality shared by the rest of the world.
Last edited by Dakini on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:46 pm

Hayteria wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:i think that if a tough girl suddenly punched a guy in the head when there was no physical stuff before that that the crowd would not think that she was a hero but some kind of lunatic who would be arrested for battery.

I don't think she'd be regarded as a hero, but I do think a lot more of the blame would be shifted onto the guys for "provoking" her in the first place. In the anecdote's case, everyone sided with the girls despite their heavy verbal abuse directed towards the guy.

What the fuck is it with you and your persecution complex? And how did you really know the story is not skewed?
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:48 pm

Hayteria wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
go figure.

he escalated verbal abuse into violence that could have killed her.

that makes him wrong. very very wrong.

He's in the wrong whether that applies or not, but what exactly do you base this on? And if a girl resorted to violence that could have killed a guy, do you think people would have reacted the same way?

If a girl pull out a knife and start stabbing guys? The girl will be pushed down obviously. I don't know where you live, but where I do, adults aren't this stupid.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Hayteria
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Hayteria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:36 pm

Ryadn wrote:
Hayteria wrote:Oh please, we know enough. That the girls were heavily verbally abusing him means we know that they intended to cause him emotional harm. That they persisted in it means we know they wanted to get as much in as they could get away with. That he resorted to violence means we know that either he thought the benefit of hurting one of them outweighed the trouble he'd get in, or he was upset enough not to think it through rationally. That everyone sided with the girls as a result of this means we know that the people around him didn't mind him being persistently verbally abused, but did mind him physically hurting one of them.

And Ashmoria, at least you're being consistent. I just think more consideration should be given to the impact of being upset on their rationality, and at least some blame should be shifted onto them for provoking him in the first place.

Okay, wait, back up. I thought you were the guy who made 5,000 threads about how no one on the internet could 'know' someone's motivations or feelings. But now a short anecdote on the internet has totally changed that, and is backed up by... your imaginary idea of what might happen if the genders were reversed?

Seriously, how does your head not hurt? My head hurts.

Calling it "imaginary" isn't the same as refuting it. Picture the scenario in your head here, how do you think it would play out? Based on the dismissive reaction people seem to often have to female on male violence, (at least in comparison to the other way around) I'd be inclined to guess that she'd be looked at more sympathetically than a guy who did the same would be. I could be wrong though.

I was a little surer, however, of the motives of those who would gang up on a guy and taunt him with a long session of verbal abuse. I can understand why it seems hypocritical, but my reasoning was that intent to emotionally hurt him is the only thing that makes sense here. Ifreann suggested alternative reasons, and I've slightly backed off on the overly certain tone, but even then... the alternative reasons include that they were just joking, or that they were just trying to have fun? If that were the case, then even if he himself couldn't tell at the time, wouldn't someone the guy in the anecdote knew have pointed it out to him later on?

EDIT: That said, IF this contradicts my topics about "Internet cold readers" then take those topics as my overall perspective, and treat this thread as the exception, not the rule. Always remember to ask yourself "which of these does not fit with the others" and treat what that applies to as the exception.
Last edited by Hayteria on Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gagatron
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:14 pm

Dakini wrote:
Gagatron wrote:Oh, so I'm a "chauvist"? Is that even a word? And yes, it is a fact, because I've heard feminists whine and complain about the unjustness about guys hitting girls, yet supporting girls hitting guys. It's a disgusting double standard.

Chauvinist. Omg, I misspelled a word and it's clearly the end of the world.

No, feminists do not claim that women are stronger than men, despite your initial claim. Nor do we generally support girls hitting guys in anything other than self-defence (or perhaps the defence of others). Have you seen anyone here suggest that it's ok for a woman to hit a man for anything other than a return on earlier violence on the part of the man? I don't think you have.

So please, source your dubious claims or I'll continue to point out how disconnected your idea of reality is from the reality shared by the rest of the world.

The "source", my arrogant friend, is my personal experience. If you were expecting something on the internet, I am underwhelmed, and you will be too. Furthermore, you seem to have a serious complex where you think just because YOU'VE only ever done something, that means it's the same for everybody. That is where you are arrogant and wrong. My female acquaintance, who I shall not name for you, supports whole heartedly hitting boyfriends who are rude. This is unacceptable, and feminist in the extreme. And by rude, I mean simply making jokes that offend, as I have seen this view of hers in action. And I have to point out something to YOU. You are pissy. Every time I point out a double standard coming from YOUR arena, you become arrogant and foolish. Do you honestly think that observing something that offends you makes it wrong? Hardly.
Last edited by Gagatron on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wanna go there,

The Parkus Empire
Post Czar

Founded: Sep 12, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Parkus Empire » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:20 pm

Gagatron, "feminist", by definition, means someone who thinks men and women should be considered equal, not that women are "stronger". Also, I've heard sexist people say many times that men should take it "like a man" if a woman hits him--because, after all, it's just a woman. But I have never heard this from a feminist, and, in fact, it directly contradicts the fundamental precept of feminism, which means anyone who says it is not a feminist anymore than someone who claims the government should own everything is a capitalist.
American Orthodox: one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church.
Jesus is Allah ن
Burkean conservative
Homophobic
Anti-feminist sexist
♂Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know men and women aren't the same.♀

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 pm

Gagatron wrote: The "source", my arrogant friend, is my personal experience. If you were expecting something on the internet, I am underwhelmed, and you will be too. Furthermore, you seem to have a serious complex where you think just because YOU'VE only ever done something, that means it's the same for everybody. That is where you are arrogant and wrong. My female acquaintance, who I shall not name for you, supports whole heartedly hitting boyfriends who are rude. This is unacceptable, and feminist in the extreme. And by rude, I mean simply making jokes that offend, as I have seen this view of hers in action. And I have to point out something to YOU. You are pissy. Every time I point out a double standard coming from YOUR arena, you become arrogant and foolish. Do you honestly think that observing something that offends you makes it wrong? Hardly.

"hitting rude boyfriends" is not a feminist issue.

sometimes a young person new to the idea thinks that feminism means "women are always right". it takes a while of thinking things through to come to a more sophisticated philosophy.
whatever

Gagatron
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:26 pm

The Parkus Empire wrote:Gagatron, "feminist", by definition, means someone who thinks men and women should be considered equal, not that women are "stronger". Also, I've heard sexist people say many times that men should take it "like a man" if a woman hits him--because, after all, it's just a woman. But I have never heard this from a feminist, and, in fact, it directly contradicts the fundamental precept of feminism, which means anyone who says it is not a feminist anymore than someone who claims the government should own everything is a capitalist.

Thanks for clearing that up. Your buddy Dakini couldn't manage to do it politely, so thank you.
I wanna go there,

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General