NATION

PASSWORD

Prayer

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Victorious Decepticons
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Victorious Decepticons » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:04 pm

Rokartian States wrote:
Wouldn't it have been easier for God to make humans infallible at the moment of creation? Why does he have to punish us for his mistake? If God is omnipotent and omniscient, then he must not care enough to prevent such things from occuring. If God is omniscient and omnibenevolent, then he must not have the power to prevent our sins from occurring. If God is omnibenevolent and omnipotent, then he must not have had the foresight to know to make us infallible. If God is not omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent, then is he really a god?

Actually I tend to think of him more like a player on a game like Black and White. On that game, the player could control a lot of things as its "god," but not all. There were many times it couldn't do something, or was too late, or even botched something outright.

It doesn't match the Abrahamic views of god, but the game's Being is still way more powerful than the little humans under his watch.

I think whoever wrote that has got a pretty good idea, and (except for the Creature part and game-y stuff like picking people up in your hand) it seems to be much more in line with observable reality than the omni-everything model.
Last edited by Victorious Decepticons on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No war RPs; no open RPs.

Explosive .50 cal shells vs. Decepticons: REAL, IRL PROOF the Decepticons would laugh at them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeVTZlNQfPA
Newaswa wrote:What is the greatest threat to your nation?
Vallermoore wrote:The Victorious Decepticons.

Bluquse wrote:Imperialist, aggressive, and genociding aliens or interdimensional beings that would most likely slaughter or enslave us
rather than meet up to have a talk. :(

TurtleShroom wrote:Also, like any sane, civilized nation, we always consider the Victorious Decepticons a clear, present, and obvious threat we must respect, honor, and leave alone in all circumstances. Always fear the Victorious Decepticons.

The Huskar Social Union wrote: ... massive empires of genocidal machines.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Victorious Decepticons wrote:(except for the Creature part and game-y stuff like picking people up in your hand)

Picking up things is pretty much the entire game. There's also casting Miracles, of course, and laying out foundations for buildings, but everything else is done by picking things up, as far as I can recall.
Blouman Empire wrote:Natural is not nature.

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

Bluth Corporation wrote:No. A free market literally has zero bubbles.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Mercator Terra wrote: Mental illness is a myth.

Green Street Elite22
Lobbyist

Founded: Dec 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

If God has hid his face....

Postby Green Street Elite22 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Its common for God not to respond to prayers. David always asked Wherefore hidest Thou Thy face? This was something David always feared. I too can understand this feeling.

If I regard iniquity in my heart,... The Lord will not hear me. Psalm 66:18 1 John 3:21,22.. For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil. 1 Peter 3:12. The Christian God tells us to seek his face, but he will turn his face away from those that do evil.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land, now mine eyes shall be open, and mine ears attent unto the prayer that is made in this place. 2 chronicles 7:14, 15. Here God again says to pray and seek his face and to stop all evil. If you won't do this then he won't hear you.

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16.
From this passage we learn that the prayer has to be real and often and that it comes from a man without sin or one that constantly tries to turn from his sin for the righteous man always gets back up.

Be sure to pray in secret.

I hope that this may help someone to understand that God won't hear the wicked...

Personally I don't think I am even righteous enough to serve the Christian God, and don't do so enough. I can understand that when I spend my two minutes praying that he doesn't have to hear me. I have had more success with fasting. I've only done it legit once and did so for a week.

Rokartian States
Minister

Founded: Nov 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Rokartian States » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:23 pm

Green Street Elite22 wrote:Its common for God not to respond to prayers. David always asked Wherefore hidest Thou Thy face? This was something David always feared. I too can understand this feeling.

If I regard iniquity in my heart,... The Lord will not hear me. Psalm 66:18 1 John 3:21,22.. For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil. 1 Peter 3:12. The Christian God tells us to seek his face, but he will turn his face away from those that do evil.

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land, now mine eyes shall be open, and mine ears attent unto the prayer that is made in this place. 2 chronicles 7:14, 15. Here God again says to pray and seek his face and to stop all evil. If you won't do this then he won't hear you.

From this passage we learn that the prayer has to be real and often and that it comes from a man without sin or one that constantly tries to turn from his sin for the righteous man always gets back up.

I hope that this may help someone to understand that God won't hear the wicked...

So it was the 9/11 victims' fault that they were killed?
Last edited by Rokartian States on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: My nation does not necessarily represent my true political views.

Southern United Africa wrote:Say "pray" over and over in quick succession. I dare you.

Jobbla wrote:hey dude my bitch is a mod on this site shes gonna punish you for squealing on me!

Norstal wrote:That is egotistical on so many level. Its like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon, except theres one 1 degree and its your ego.

Sozut wrote:IT IS DEFINITELY BIRDS!

Sibirsky wrote:The truth is, you ideology has failed, will continue to fail, and is made of fail.

Embrihated Koalas wrote:SO THEIR BALLS ARE INERT

Cnetral america wrote:you have int got the flu soooo long it cagt you up
:geek:

CanuckHeaven
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 12, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby CanuckHeaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:43 pm

Gagatron wrote:Hello, people of Earth! My name is Gagatron, and I have a very interesting topic for you today. This is directed to anybody and everybody.

Have you ever prayed? If so, what benefits did it bring? Who did you pray to? How did you pray? How many prayer experiences have you had?

Let the multi-religious discussion begin.

I pray to God every morning, and every night, and when necessary, in between. As a result, my anger, and hatred towards others has been removed. I have a deeper and better understanding of myself and others and I have a better relationship with God. The net result has been a positive for me and those around me.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:43 pm

CanuckHeaven wrote:As a result

Are you sure?

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Umm hmm.... mind if I siggy that as a reminder to those who think that it is cool to shove their bat-shit crazy atheist beliefs on those of us who actually have a clue?

Teccor wrote:You're actually arguing with Kereptica? It's like arguing with a far-Left, militantly atheist brick wall.

JJ Place wrote:I have a few more pressing matters to attend to right now; I'll be back later this evening to continue my one-man against the world struggle.

Great Valencia
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Valencia » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:45 pm

Gagatron wrote:Hello, people of Earth! My name is Gagatron, and I have a very interesting topic for you today. This is directed to anybody and everybody.

Have you ever prayed? If so, what benefits did it bring? Who did you pray to? How did you pray? How many prayer experiences have you had?

Let the multi-religious discussion begin.

No. I dont want to feel like an idiot on my knees begging for chocolate pudding , while it looks like me jerking someone off and having my mouth open for the result.
DEFCON 5
I will now go back to my easier habits of threatening to slice babies in half in order to find who the true mother is.- The Archregimancy
One other thing: There's no rule against profanity, but there IS a rule against spam. Bear that in mind, motherfuckers. - Lunatic Goofballs
"They. Are. Alive. Too." So are bacteria. I feel no pity when I use hand sanitizer.
-Conservative Morality
I hope they don't ban it. Going to the airport is the only time I can get anyone to feel me up anymore. -Minoriteeburg
"I'd find the tallest cliff I could, stand on the edge naked and hope I was sucked off." -Fartsniffage
Military Size: 46.2 Million (1%)

CanuckHeaven
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby CanuckHeaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:46 pm

Gagatron wrote:Well, I've always found prayer helpful for achieving personal growth. It's a great way to calm the spirit.

I can concur with that.

CanuckHeaven
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby CanuckHeaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:48 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
CanuckHeaven wrote:As a result

Are you sure?

Absolutely.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:49 pm

CanuckHeaven wrote:
Gagatron wrote:Well, I've always found prayer helpful for achieving personal growth. It's a great way to calm the spirit.

I can concur with that.

And when it does absolutely nothing to calm you, what does that mean?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Galiria
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Galiria » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:49 pm

I'd always feel bad when I prayed because it didn't feel like I was praying to the Holy Father, it just felt like I was kneeling, hands clasped, saying words into thin air, so I'd come out after praying feeling worse than before, feeling that I wasn't a good Christian, that if I couldn't even pray correctly, what hope was there for me, etc, etc. It was even worse praying with rosaries, cause I'd just end up playing with the beads. Eventually I just stopped praying, nothing happened, I haven't given it much thought since then.
Political Compass
Economic: Left/Right: -6.62
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.69

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:51 pm

CanuckHeaven wrote:Absolutely.

And how did you come to this conclusion?

CanuckHeaven
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby CanuckHeaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
CanuckHeaven wrote:I can concur with that.

It always calms me.

South Norwega
Senator

Founded: Jul 13, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby South Norwega » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:51 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
CanuckHeaven wrote:I can concur with that.

Exorcism fun times?
Worship the great Gordon Brown!
The Republic of Lanos wrote:Please sig this.

Jedi 999 wrote:the fact is the british colonised the british

Plains Nations wrote:the god of NS

Trippoli wrote:This here guy, is smart.

Second Placing: Sarzonian Indoor Gridball Cup

CanuckHeaven
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby CanuckHeaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:52 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
CanuckHeaven wrote:Absolutely.

And how did you come to this conclusion?

I see and feel the results.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:52 pm

CanuckHeaven wrote:I see and feel the results.

No; you see and feel what happens afterward. You observe correlation. What I am asking for is a demonstration of causation.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:53 pm

CanuckHeaven wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:And when it does absolutely nothing to calm you, what does that mean?

It always calms me.

I mean for someone else. You as in anyone. Like when I prayed for safety, and yet it was the barney song that calmed me to sleep. Or when I prayed for my father to quit things, and yet it didn't happen until he was forced to by the law.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

The Southron Nation
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Southron Nation » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:55 pm

do my best to live in prayerful worship. by casting my mind to thoughts of God i pray. by embracing my friends or family i pray. by enjoying His bountiful harvest i pray. by listening with patience and humility i pray.
The Confederate Republics of the Southron Nation
What if the South had been recognized by the Union?

Aka Distruzio

Anarcho-Monarchism is an anti-egalitarian, anti-democratic, anti-statist, and anti-corporatist, conservative-libertarian movement that stresses tradition, responsibility, liberty, virtue, localism, market anarchy, voluntary segregation and personalism, along with familial, religious, and regional identity founded upon self-ownership and personified by a totem monarch.

CanuckHeaven
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby CanuckHeaven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:56 pm

New Kereptica wrote:
CanuckHeaven wrote:I see and feel the results.

No; you see and feel what happens afterward. You observe correlation. What I am asking for is a demonstration of causation.

How is it possible for me to demonstrate that for you. Just let me assure you that it works for me.

Green Street Elite22
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Green Street Elite22 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:56 pm

Wouldn't it have been easier for God to make humans infallible at the moment of creation? Why does he have to punish us for his mistake? If God is omnipotent and omniscient, then he must not care enough to prevent such things from occuring. If God is omniscient and omnibenevolent, then he must not have the power to prevent our sins from occurring. If God is omnibenevolent and omnipotent, then he must not have had the foresight to know to make us infallible. If God is not omnipotent, omniscient, and omnibenevolent, then is he really a god?

I don't understand why he would want to make us infallible. I don't want to be infallible. God did what He did for a greater glory, which you don't seem to understand.

This is a reasoning I heard. Accept or not, but it was interesting.

God created the angels to worship him and to be messengers. Angels are able to see God. Angels were created before us. They are not flesh and bones. Humans do not become angels when they die. They are ministering spirits. Angels seek to see what humans do out of their free will. Angels disguise themselves as humans to be entertain. Angles are a set number that will never be added too and they cannot be destroyed. Angels have always appeared to be adults, males, and fearful. They are stronger than men but not omnipotent. They are greater than man in knowledge, but not omniscient. They are more noble than man, but not omnipresent. Thus far this can be found in the bible. This is what is known.

So God created these creatures and they are able to see him, and he created them with free will like us. We learn later that some angels rebelled and were cast down. Their punishment is far greater then our punishment. Our punishment is death according to the judgement God gave Adam and Eve. "Death" being dormant in the grave. We know God cares because he clothed them, and that he promised the woman a seed that would crush the head of the serpent and save us. (This is what He wanted to do for His glory). He kept the tree of life so that we wouldn't be eternal beings in sin. Eternal being in sin have a far greater punishment.

Fallen angels known as demons cannot die according to the bible. They were created with everlasting life. But the reasoning is that God was able to give them a server punishment in the eternal lake of fire is because they saw him and knew him. The theory is that God told the fallen angles that He would create a creature that would serve him even though they can't see Him, and quite possibly God gave them permission to try to stop them (us) from serving Him. The Word (God) become flesh and died for our sins and conquered the grave ending the time of the fallen angles who were then cast into the eternal lake of fire where they spend eternity. And God saved us from our punishment of death (being dormant in the grave). When we die we automatically transition over to everlasting life with Him.

....So if this is so I would say your argument is invalid. What punishment are you talking about when God took care of it? Apologies for grammar errors. I've caught a few, but may have a few more.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:57 pm

CanuckHeaven wrote:Just let me assure you that it works for me.

You haven't been very assuring.

New Kereptica
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Kereptica » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Green Street Elite22 wrote:free will like us

Not possible, if god is omniscient.

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:00 pm

I do not pray. Prayer is pointless when you are god.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Green Street Elite22
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Green Street Elite22 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:09 pm

Rokartian States wrote:
Green Street Elite22 wrote:Its common for God not to respond to prayers. David always asked Wherefore hidest Thou Thy face? This was something David always feared. I too can understand this feeling.

Who is able to say? Can you tell me? When God gave a 10% rule on how to save the world from hunger, thirst, nakedness, and urge us to love one another. If we are to do these things then such wickedness wouldn't happen. but don't think wickedness goes unnoticed. God judges the wicked before their death. It does not go unnoticed. David disobeyed God. God judged David, and told him that he would live by the sword for the rest of his days. David's own family hunted him down. David hid in caves begging God not to hide His face from Him. David committed adultly and God took away his son. David fasted, but God had made His judgement. God judges the wicked according to the Bible.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:11 pm

Green Street Elite22 wrote:
Rokartian States wrote:

Who is able to say? Can you tell me? When God gave a 10% rule on how to save the world from hunger, thirst, nakedness, and urge us to love one another. If we are to do these things then such wickedness wouldn't happen. but don't think wickedness goes unnoticed. God judges the wicked before their death. It does not go unnoticed. David disobeyed God. God judged David, and told him that he would live by the sword for the rest of his days. David's own family hunted him down. David hid in caves begging God not to hide His face from Him. David committed adultly and God took away his son. David fasted, but God had made His judgement. God judges the wicked according to the Bible.

So, if he is real, god never forgives? A bit contradictory there.

@}-;-'---

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General