NATION

PASSWORD

Wireless Electricity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Wireless Electricity

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:21 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8165928.stm

Apparently, very soon, you could be posting in this forum without being constrained by electrical cables. Today a company or research group called Witricity showed mobile phones and televisions charging without any cables at the TED Global conference in Oxford, UK.

Not a new thing though: Tesla and Edison looked into the wireless electricity concept in the 19th century. :roll:

Kyronea
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 26, 2006
Ex-Nation

Re: Wireless Electricity

Postby Kyronea » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8165928.stm

Apparently, very soon, you could be posting in this forum without being constrained by electrical cables. Today a company or research group called Witricity showed mobile phones and televisions charging without any cables at the TED Global conference in Oxford, UK.

Not a new thing though: Tesla and Edison looked into the wireless electricity concept in the 19th century. :roll:

It might not be a new CONCEPT, but this is probably the first time we've successfully created it.

After all, we've plenty of concepts that have yet to become science fact.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:24 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:Not a new thing though: Tesla and Edison looked into the wireless electricity concept in the 19th century. :roll:

Tesla hoped to supply the world with free, wireless electricity.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:24 pm

Kyronea wrote:

It might not be a new CONCEPT, but this is probably the first time we've successfully created it.

Exactly -- I've yet to see a working warp drive out there. Oh science, why have you forsaken me?
Signatures are for losers.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:29 pm

this is nothing new or even gosh wow.

any time you have a strong enough fluctuating magnetic field, and place a coil (or even just a straight piece if the field is strong enough or in the right range of frequencies) of wire. you're going to have an electrical current flowing in that wire, if you give it the rest of a circuit to flow through.

i mean this is real basic basic basics of the behavior of electrical energy.

the only thing mind boggling to me is that there are so many people not more familiar with how the nonpersonal parts of the universe they live in actually works.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:30 pm

Kyronea wrote:

Tesla got it to work.
Just they couldn't figure out a way to measure how much a home was using.
So business killed it.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

BunnySaurus Bugsii
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby BunnySaurus Bugsii » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:02 pm

Not a new thing at all. It's a fucking crystal radio.

If they think I'm going to saturate my physical environment with such powerful radio waves just to avoid having wires, they're as a nutty as a fruitcake. I'll keep the wires for the big stuff, thankyou very much.

EDIT: heh, but if my neighbour installs wireless power, I'll use theirs. :lol:
Last edited by BunnySaurus Bugsii on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky Bicycle Works ⊂ BunnySaurus Bugsii ⊂ Nobel Hobos

More sig:
Saboteur: A well-meaning idiot, walking into the future barefoot.

The moongoose step: a combination of can-can, goose-step, and moon-step. I haven't perfected it yet.

I can however do John Cleese's Silly Walk, with elements of falling on my arse.

When we hear our future selves, we are humbled. We are willing servants.

Dinaverg
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinaverg » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Cameroi wrote:this is nothing new or even gosh wow.

any time you have a strong enough fluctuating magnetic field, and place a coil (or even just a straight piece if the field is strong enough or in the right range of frequencies) of wire. you're going to have an electrical current flowing in that wire, if you give it the rest of a circuit to flow through.

i mean this is real basic basic basics of the behavior of electrical energy.

the only thing mind boggling to me is that there are so many people not more familiar with how the nonpersonal parts of the universe they live in actually works.

wow, you get electromagnetic induction, great. Now make this work, then you can brag how aware and educated you are.
DINA
DINA
DINA

Rolling squid
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Any votes on how long it will take them to weaponise this?
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Rolling squid wrote:Any votes on how long it will take them to weaponise this?

Not another peace ray.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Rolling squid
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:11 pm

greed and death wrote:

Not another peace ray.

I was thinking more along the lines of a long range taser.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

The Requiem of Shadow
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Requiem of Shadow » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:12 pm

Rolling squid wrote:
greed and death wrote:

Not another peace ray.

I was thinking more along the lines of a long range taser.

And something that shoots millions of volts of electricity into someone so you can watch the suffer and writhe in pain :twisted:
When life gives you lemons, give them to me or you'll be in the detention block again

Woot for the Not-So-Free World

Fonzie gives people like you a thumbs down

Military:

You don't need to know...

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:14 pm

greed and death wrote:
Kyronea wrote:

Tesla got it to work.
So business killed it.

Just like they will this.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Kyronea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyronea » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:15 pm

The Requiem of Shadow wrote:And something that shoots millions of volts of electricity into someone so you can watch the suffer and writhe in pain :twisted:

There are plenty of ways to watch someone suffer and writhe in pain without inflicting permanent injury.

The Requiem of Shadow
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Requiem of Shadow » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Kyronea wrote:
The Requiem of Shadow wrote:And something that shoots millions of volts of electricity into someone so you can watch the suffer and writhe in pain :twisted:

There are plenty of ways to watch someone suffer and writhe in pain without inflicting permanent injury.

I know, but permanent injury is more fun :lol:
When life gives you lemons, give them to me or you'll be in the detention block again

Woot for the Not-So-Free World

Fonzie gives people like you a thumbs down

Military:

You don't need to know...

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:19 pm

SaintB wrote:
greed and death wrote:
Kyronea wrote:It might not be a new CONCEPT, but this is probably the first time we've successfully created it.

Tesla got it to work.
So business killed it.

something you can't send a bill to someone for isn't good for business.
Barack Obama

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:24 pm

greed and death wrote:
SaintB wrote:
greed and death wrote:Tesla got it to work.
So business killed it.

Exactly... so unless we socialize electricity.... wait...

*Calls the President*
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:25 pm

SaintB wrote:
greed and death wrote:
SaintB wrote:Just like they will this.

Exactly... so unless we socialize electricity.... wait...

*Calls the President*

*cuts the phone line*
*puts on sun glasses*
*wipes your memory*
Barack Obama

Othyl
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Othyl » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:26 pm

There's a group toying with this for an orbital power station. Just make an emitter that puts out some sort of light, preferably long wavelength and between bands of radio and phones, and a super efficient photo voltaic cell on whatever you want powered. Of course those same studies that think mobile phones cause cancer will find cancer in this most likely, but the idea is not hard. That magnetic field idea works too.

This isn't a terribly difficult thing to do, there's just not much point to do it.

Kyronea
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyronea » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:30 pm

The Requiem of Shadow wrote:
I know, but permanent injury is more fun :lol:

No, because the person suffering doesn't enjoy that.

Sionis Prioratus
Senator

Founded: Feb 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sionis Prioratus » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:36 pm

About time. I also want my 3D-printer NOW! :)

Triblios
Envoy

Founded: Apr 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Triblios » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:44 pm

So implement solar collection satelites to capture solar energy in space, then use this electrical energy to power the coil in this design. Then we'll have public electricity. Also implement this in geo-thermal energy plants, with the coils in urban areas. And design the power lines to also give off this energy so rural areas + suburban areas can get power w/o making new coils.
All hail Moddess Reppy! Savior of Forum 7!

member of M.A.R.I.A(Multinational Anti-Fascist and Revolutionary Insurgent Alliance)
Come visit Akriashi,the shining gem of Triblios!
The Factbook of The Republic of Triblios

Triblios
Envoy

Founded: Apr 07, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Triblios » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:45 pm

Sionis Prioratus wrote:About time. I also want my 3D-printer NOW! :)

u kno that exists right? they just make the print out of starch or foam.(and is uber-expensive )
Last edited by Triblios on Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All hail Moddess Reppy! Savior of Forum 7!

member of M.A.R.I.A(Multinational Anti-Fascist and Revolutionary Insurgent Alliance)
Come visit Akriashi,the shining gem of Triblios!
The Factbook of The Republic of Triblios

Linux and the X
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Linux and the X » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:07 am

Have fun using your wireless internet if this gets popular. Hell, have fun using wired internet; ethernet cable is unshielded. You won't be able to watch TV either. Satellite and OTA are obvious, but even cable TV wouldn't work (you really think cable companies pay to shield all that cable?) either. Like to call people? Well, I hope you still have an old corded phone. Then again, you'd still have unshielded cable to deal with.

Essentialy, wireless electricity would fuck up most things it would be useful for.
~~~~
between bands of radio and phones

Good luck finding THAT.

Of course those same studies that think mobile phones cause cancer will find cancer in this most likely, but the idea is not hard.

GSM phones have an output of up to 2 watts on 900 or 1800 MHz (or 850 and 1900 MHz in some countries). However, wireless electricity would have significantly higher output. According to OST/OET bulletin 65 [download (PDF)], the FCC has in fact recognised that certain combinations of power and frequency are potentially dangerous. Since EM waves lose power over distance, significant power would have to be outputted by the wireless power station-- possibly higher amounts than safe on any frequency.
If you see I've made a mistake in my wording or a factual detail, telegram me and I'll fix it. I'll even give you credit for pointing it out, if you'd like.
BLUE LIVES MURDER

[violet]: Maybe we could power our new search engine from the sexual tension between you two.
Me, responding to a request to vote for a liberation: But... but that would blemish my near-perfect history of spitefully voting against anything the SC does!
Farnhamia: That is not to be taken as license to start calling people "buttmunch."

GPG key ID: A8960638 fingerprint: 2239 2687 0B50 2CEC 28F7 D950 CCD0 26FC A896 0638

they/them pronouns

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:50 am

im not using it until it goes through many years of safety testing. that a lot of EM to be floating around at all times.
whatever

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General