NATION

PASSWORD

Should Finland join the NATO?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Western Mercenary Unio
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Should Finland join the NATO?

Postby Western Mercenary Unio » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:04 am

There has been a debate for years about the possibility of joining the NATO. Right now, most are against it and the government is keeping it as an option. The Defense Forces are making preparations for it saying that it would increase our security. I myself am undecided about it. On one hand it would increase our security but on the other there's the obligations that come with it and other things. So, the question is the thread title: Should Finland join the NATO?
You didn't tell me there was going to be math-Mike Krahulik AKA Gabe, after finding out he had to do math in Dungeons & Dragons, also my reaction finding out that I had to do math in most of the storefronts.
Political Compass: -4.25, -6.26
Disclaimer: I might be totally wrong, due to the fact that I probably know jackshit about the subject.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Should Finland join the NATO?

Postby Yootopia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:06 am

No, because they don't need to, and Finland doesn't really have the kind of professional army needed by the countries in NATO nowadays for their globetrotting missions.
End the Modigarchy now.

Longhaul
Secretary

Founded: May 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Longhaul » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:06 am

I'd say that it should be up to the Finns.
Western Mercenary Unio wrote:Right now, most are against it

So no, then. :)

Georgetpwn
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 18, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Georgetpwn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:07 am

Finland should join NATO, mainly for protection from the ruskies.
The Republic of Hobbes City (exiled), exists within Georgetpwn
DEFCON 5 4 3 2 1
Defense Minister of Novus Licentia Terra
The Republic of Hobbes City, composed of:
The Hobbes City Holding State of Georgetpwn
The People's Republic of M1 Helmet
The Protectorate of The Republic of Lanos
The Colony of Suvree
The Pacific Territory of Ferdinando Marcos

Western Mercenary Unio
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Mercenary Unio » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:08 am

Longhaul wrote:I'd say that it should be up to the Finns.
Western Mercenary Unio wrote:Right now, most are against it

So no, then. :)

The question has been put on hold for the Halonen's term. When the new government is chosen, the position might change I should add.

Georgetpwn wrote:Finland should join NATO, mainly for protection from the ruskies.

Why would they want to attack us? They have no reason to do that.
Last edited by Western Mercenary Unio on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
You didn't tell me there was going to be math-Mike Krahulik AKA Gabe, after finding out he had to do math in Dungeons & Dragons, also my reaction finding out that I had to do math in most of the storefronts.
Disclaimer: I might be totally wrong, due to the fact that I probably know jackshit about the subject.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:09 am

Georgetpwn wrote:Finland should join NATO, mainly for protection from the ruskies.

They've done alright so far...
End the Modigarchy now.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:10 am

There really is no point. I don't think Finland is going to get involved in some major war any time soon.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Western Mercenary Unio
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Western Mercenary Unio » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:11 am

Buffett and Colbert wrote:...

There really is no point. I don't think Finland is going to get involved in some major war any time soon.

The only reason for us to do so would be protection from a possible war with Russia. Which is unlikely.

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:12 am

Western Mercenary Unio wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:...

The only reason for us to do so would be protection from a possible war with Russia. Which is unlikely.

If you join NATO, the Russians will drop a nuke on Helsinki along with the rest of the world in case of a war. If you get invaded outside of NATO, some of your country might be left :p
End the Modigarchy now.

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:12 am

Finland shouldn't join; it's a bad idea. Canada is in it and we wound up in Afghanistan. Now that the Cold War is over, there is no need for NATO.
Last edited by Kryozerkia on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

United Russian State
Minister

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:13 am

No! NATO should disband.
Defcon: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
State of War: Chernobyl-Pripyat
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
Join Pan-Slavic Union State!
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:14 am

I don't think they really need to. I'd say that if the Finnish public wanted it, go for it. Seeing as that's not the case, I wouldn't bother. But it's not really my decision, so meh.

Yootopia wrote:If you join NATO, the Russians will drop a nuke on Helsinki along with the rest of the world in case of a war. If you get invaded outside of NATO, some of your country might be left :p

... for the fallout to contaminate.
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

The Atlantian islands
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantian islands » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:17 am

Yes, because it would send a big F-U to the Russians.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:21 am

United Russian State wrote:No! NATO should disband.

why should NATO disband? because the warsaw pact fell apart and the "members" rushed to join with western europe after its collapse?

as for the OP, while I am firmly in favor of NATO's continued existance, it may not be what is best for Finland. Sweden, Austria and Swizterland have done well enough without being members, so can Finland.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

United Russian State
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:28 am

Grays Harbor wrote:
United Russian State wrote:No! NATO should disband.

why should NATO disband? because the warsaw pact fell apart and the "members" rushed to join with western europe after its collapse?

as for the OP, while I am firmly in favor of NATO's continued existance, it may not be what is best for Finland. Sweden, Austria and Swizterland have done well enough without being members, so can Finland.

It is an aggresive alliance towards eastern alliances. If there is ever to be peace it must disban. It was made to be an anti Soviet alliance but it is now gone. Thy promised not to expand membership past Germany but have. Until it is gone there is a new cold war going on.p
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information
My long term plan is to contribute to globally warming as much as possible so my grandchildren can live in a world that is a few degrees warmer and where there is new coast land being created every day.- The Scandinvans

The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions-Omnicracy

NO ONE is poor and suffering in the US- they're pretending that while rollicking in welfare money-Pythria

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:35 am

United Russian State wrote:Until it is gone there is a new cold war going on.p
But now there is "a new cold war going on" disbanding it wouldn't be a sensible thing for the members to do, it would just seem a show of weakness... The right time for NATO to disband was after the Warsaw Pact did so but before this "new cold war" situation arose.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:35 am

Bears Armed wrote:
But now there is "a new cold war going on" disbanding it wouldn't be a sensible thing for the members to do, it would just seem a show of weakness... The right time for NATO to disband was after the Warsaw Pact did so but before this "new cold war" situation arose.

I somehow missed that in the news.

When did this "New Cold War" start?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:36 am

Would NATO notice if it joined? :lol: /jk

Jakra
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakra » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:38 am

Galloism wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:

There was an Old Cold War?!? :shock: (JK)

Seriously, Finalnd joining NATO is a big security advantage. You'd have to blind to not see Russia on the rebound. But if anything this will prevent another Cold War. With NATO on it's doorstep Russia would be forced to negotiate once they realized there is no shield of satelite nations this time.
Honestly, I believe someday Russia will probably join NATO.
Last edited by Jakra on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Current DEFCON Level: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]
Jakran Factbook: NSEconomy: Jakran Military Factbook (WIP)
In Memoriam of President:John Henry Eden

Glorious Freedonia
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2006
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Glorious Freedonia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:45 am

Russia has been acting pretty strangely lately. They should join.

United Russian State
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby United Russian State » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:45 am

Galloism wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:

Georgia was the first round.
Establish Embassy in URS
URS Economy Information

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:47 am

Galloism wrote:
Bears Armed wrote:

Although the situation obvioussly isn't as fraught as it was from the late 1940s until 1980, the current relationship between Russia and NATO is certainly far from cordially warm: Putin's publicly-expressed anti-'Western' attitudes (reported in elements of the British press, if not in that of the USA...), his drive to re-establish Russian control over as many of the formerly 'Soviet' republics as possible (including his armed support for 'breakaway' groups within some of those), the attempted poisoning of the main pro-'western' candidate in Ukraine's elections a few years ago (for which there was reasonably good evidence of Russian involvement) and the more recent killing of a Russian dissident in London (by poisoning with radioactive Polonium) for which the evidence was so strong that the British authorities sought extradition of the main suspect from Russia, several occasions when Putin sent military aircraft to probe the airspace of Britain just like the Soviets used to do, his threats against those countries in eastern Europe that considered hosting parts of the USA's planned missile-defence system...
NATO certainly bears a share of the blame, for pushing eastwards after the Warsaw Pact collapsed and thus provoking the Russians' habitual paranoia, but from the evidence that I've seen presented Putin -- even though he's no longer a Marxist by creed -- is still basically an unreformed totalitarian at heart.
Last edited by Bears Armed on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:47 am

Hydesland wrote:Would NATO notice if it joined? :lol: /jk

Yes, because all of a sudden there would be all these people with unpronounceable names showing up for meetings.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:49 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Hydesland wrote:Would NATO notice if it joined? :lol: /jk

Yes, because all of a sudden there would be all these people with unpronounceable names showing up for meetings.

But it's already got the Hungarians... ;)

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:52 am

make Finland the 51st state.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General