NATION

PASSWORD

Is a fetus a person

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Re: Is a fetus a person

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:04 pm

Chumblywumbly wrote:
Galloism wrote:Again, dictionary definition of a human:

1. A member of the genus Homo and especially of the species H. sapiens.

Doesn't help us much, though, as if we're going to stick with such a stringent definition as yours, we'd be treating dead humans the same as alive ones, by virtue of their humanness.

Well, they would both be humans, but not both be persons - as person is defined as a "living human."
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:I don't consider a fetus a person. It can't do any of the acts we do; it can't even think properly. It's an almost human, which is why abortions shouldn't be performed willy nilly, but should always be allowed to whoever, wants one, whenever.

So a mentally retarded person or somone recovering from a massive head trauma could be aborted for the same reason?
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!
My Website | My Blogs | My Facebook Page

Who is John Galt?

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:07 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:I don't consider a fetus a person. It can't do any of the acts we do; it can't even think properly. It's an almost human, which is why abortions shouldn't be performed willy nilly, but should always be allowed to whoever, wants one, whenever.

So a mentally retarded person or somone recovering from a massive head trauma could be aborted for the same reason?

Well, no, since they're out of the womb already. Only pregnancies can be aborted.

You could kill them, I guess, but why would you want to?
Signatures are for losers.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:07 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

no both those cases are capable off thought.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:08 pm

The problem lies in that even on this forum, which is a small subset of the population, people cannot agree on wheter a fetus is a person. How can we possibly agree globally.

If we cannot agree globally, then ew must err on the side of caution.

However, in your argument, you must FIRST define a fetus and define a person.
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:09 pm

DaWoad wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

no both those cases are capable off thought.

Buffet says that they cant think "Properly" or do "any of the acts we do". Neither can the above mentioned persons.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:12 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

Well, no, since they're out of the womb already. Only pregnancies can be aborted.

Not according to Obamas Science Czar who believes that babies can be aborted until they reach 2 years old, for precisely the same reasons.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:12 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:The problem lies in that even on this forum, which is a small subset of the population, people cannot agree on wheter a fetus is a person. How can we possibly agree globally.

Golden mean fallacy.

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Galloism wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:Doesn't help us much, though, as if we're going to stick with such a stringent definition as yours, we'd be treating dead humans the same as alive ones, by virtue of their humanness.

Well, they would both be humans, but not both be persons - as person is defined as a "living human."

I'd say that dead people are still persons.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:13 pm

Chumblywumbly wrote:
Galloism wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:Doesn't help us much, though, as if we're going to stick with such a stringent definition as yours, we'd be treating dead humans the same as alive ones, by virtue of their humanness.

I'd say that dead people are still persons.

The dictionary wouldn't. 8)
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:14 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Not according to Obamas Science Czar who believes that babies can be aborted until they reach 2 years old, for precisely the same reasons.

see this is the kind of post I mentioned in the OP back up that stastement or lose it

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:14 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:So a mentally retarded person or somone recovering from a massive head trauma could be aborted for the same reason?

Not according to Obamas Science Czar who believes that babies can be aborted until they reach 2 years old, for precisely the same reasons.

Again, you can't abort a baby that's already been born. You can kill it, but not abort it.

And killing a baby before it has developed self-awareness is a crime no greater than killing a puppy. Until their brains have developed to the point they are capable of sapience, they are no different from other infant animals. That's not exactly relevant, though.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:15 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:The problem lies in that even on this forum, which is a small subset of the population, people cannot agree on wheter a fetus is a person. How can we possibly agree globally.

Golden mean fallacy.

How is this middle compromise.. I say the extreme is the best answer.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:16 pm

DaWoad wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Not according to Obamas Science Czar who believes that babies can be aborted until they reach 2 years old, for precisely the same reasons.

see this is the kind of post I mentioned in the OP back up that stastement or lose it

I will find the evidence.... gimme a bit of time
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Chumblywumbly
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 22, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Chumblywumbly » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:16 pm

Galloism wrote:The dictionary wouldn't. 8)

Fuck the dictionary.

It isn't the be-all and end-all of arguments, especially for a term with such moral and political significance as 'person'.
Last edited by Chumblywumbly on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I suffer, I labour, I dream, I enjoy, I think; and, in a word, when my last hour strikes, I shall have lived.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:17 pm

Chumblywumbly wrote:

Fuck the dictionary.

It isn't the be-all and end-all of arguments, especially for a term with such moral and political significance as 'person'.

It's the be-all end-all for the meaning of words, and this question is regarding the meaning of the word "person" as it relates to a "fetus." Therefore, a dictionary definition is quite relevant.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
DaWoad wrote:

I will find the evidence.... gimme a bit of time

First I found
http://zombietime.com/john_holdren/
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

Golden mean fallacy.

lol"bacause not everyne agrees you have to take MY point of view" that is possibly the worst argument ever. in that it sounds reasonable right up until you try to apply it to ANY other argument. 199% of people wouldn't agree that Rape is wrong so we must err on the side of caution right?

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

Golden mean fallacy.

You seem to present it as an issue wherein the two sides have equally valid legal claims. That is not the case; one side has legally valid claims, and one side is wrong.

Personhood is a legal definition. According to the legal definition, a fetus [is, is not] a person -- I believe it's currently not considered to be a person in most places, but I could be wrong; I haven't done the research since I don't think it's at all relevant to the abortion debate.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Chumblywumbly wrote:

Fuck the dictionary.

Perhaps an Encyclopedia is in order...maybe a Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Person#Who_is_a_person.3F
Human beings - In contemporary global thought, once human beings are born, personhood is considered automatic.
Last edited by Maurepas on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:21 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:

Fuck the dictionary.

Perhaps an Encyclopedia is in order...maybe a Wikipedia:
Human beings - In contemporary global thought, once human beings are born, personhood is considered automatic.

Quote the whole section bub. Don't cherrypick:

Wiki wrote:Exceptions: - Exceptions to this are often emotive and controversial. Some people have given opinions that fetuses, the disabled, the profoundly and long term brain damaged, those in coma or other persistent vegetative states, may be dubious as regards personhood. Such views are strongly debated from both sides. Historically, personhood has been denied to women, perceived other races, the mentally disabled, and in many tribal societies, all people not from the tribe.

Animals - Some philosophers and those involved in animal welfare, ethology, animal rights and related subjects, consider that certain animals should also be granted personhood. Commonly named species in this context include the Great Apes and possibly cetaceans or elephants, due to the acknowledged intelligence and intricate societies of such species. In animistic religion, animals, plants, and other entities may be persons or deities.

Certain societal constructs - certain social entities, are considered legally as persons, for example some corporations and other legal entities. This is known as legal, or corporate, personhood.

Corporations are people too.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:21 pm

living human exclusively equaling person is totally illogical.
sentient or creative sentient equaling person is not.

soul equaling person makes sense too.
the real question is when soul comes to occupy a life form
and that once again and again is objectively indeterminate

although, for practical purposes, the way i would determine life,
would be brainwave activity.

so when fetal brainwave activitiy can be observed to resemble that of an indipendently ambulatory life form, this would make sense as being close enough for government work to determine personhood.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:22 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:First I found
http://zombietime.com/john_holdren/

wow ... just wow. You claim that's a credible source??? And it doesn't even back up your claim. ..come on man u can do better than this.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:23 pm

Here is Holdrens book

http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=98156598

I will keep reading and if I must, will post the page...
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:24 pm

Galloism wrote:
Maurepas wrote:Perhaps an Encyclopedia is in order...maybe a Wikipedia:

Quote the whole section bub. Don't cherrypick:

Wiki wrote:Exceptions: - Exceptions to this are often emotive and controversial. Some people have given opinions that fetuses, the disabled, the profoundly and long term brain damaged, those in coma or other persistent vegetative states, may be dubious as regards personhood. Such views are strongly debated from both sides. Historically, personhood has been denied to women, perceived other races, the mentally disabled, and in many tribal societies, all people not from the tribe.

It simply goes on to state that Fetuses, along with other examples, are also dubious with regard to person hood...

So, really, it was unnecessary...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General