NATION

PASSWORD

Is a fetus a person

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: Is a fetus a person

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:57 am

Galloism wrote:So babies born with malformed organs or organs that failed to develop fully are not persons?

No, because they are clearly alive and detached from their mother, and are their own little being.
Original join date March 25th 2008, bitches!
Economic Left/Right: 1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.12

Laconis
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Laconis » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:58 am

Inarui wrote:
Galloism wrote:Well that depends on the definition of "think for it's own", which is going to be hard to quantify in such a way that it does apply to a fetus but not to a newborn.

And I don't see what needing assistance in developing has to do with personhood or lack thereof. Perhaps you can expound?

Can the fetus, in its early stages, live on its own, outside the mother's body? Can the fetus feel and think, does it knows what it is? No. Does it understands? Does it has a sense of self? No.

No, it most certainly cannot in it's early stages. But then again, babies don't have a sense of self until later either, nor do they know what they are or undstand much of anything (Then again they really don't care do they? ^.^). This is known as the age of innocence. Does this mean that by your logic a baby is not a person? Also mind you that an infant cannot live on it's own either.
"The stupid that comes out of your mouth amazes me sometimes." - Laconis

Poliwanacraca
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Poliwanacraca » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:00 am

No Names Left Damn It wrote:
Poliwanacraca wrote:As for me, I'd say it's not a "person" until it is, at the very least, capable of self-awareness. A fetus two weeks from birth is probably a person. A blastocyst is absolutely not a person.

Are blastocysts and zygotes technically foetuses then or what, because I always thought they were different?

No, they're not technically fetuses. They're earlier stages in development, but I figured the point of the question was really not so much "are fetuses people?" as "precisely when in human embryonic development does something become a person?" So, basically, in my view, "personhood" probably occurs sometime during the fetal stage. :)
"You know...I've just realized that "Poliwanacraca" is, when rendered in Arabic, an anagram for "Bom-chica-wohw-waaaow", the famous "sexy riff" that was born in the 70's and will live forever..." - Hammurab
----
"Extortion is such a nasty word.
I much prefer 'magnolia'. 'Magnolia' is a much nicer word." - Saint Clair Island

----
"Go forth my snarky diaper babies, and CONQUER!" - Neo Art

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:01 am

Inarui wrote:
Know what it is? Probably not - but neither does a newborn, really. I believe someone in here mentioned the mirror test at approximately 18 months.

When is it that we really become aware of the self?

Hmm. Self-awareness is more of a sliding scale, I think. We tend to become more self aware as we get older, almost continuously. I can honestly say I'm more self aware now than when I was 18. I was more self-aware then than at 10. I was more self aware at 10 than 5. More at 5 than 2, more at 2 than birth, and definitely more at birth than as a blastocyst. However, when do we exhibit a significant amount of self-awareness? I don't know.

Inarui wrote:
Neither does a newborn, yet we consider them "persons".

Because they can live outside the mothe's body.

Which brings us back to the field of medicine and its advancement.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:04 am

Galloism wrote:So babies born with malformed organs or organs that failed to develop fully are not persons?

No, because they are clearly alive and detached from their mother, and are their own little being.

Well, fetuses are clearly alive (given they are animated, moving blood around, and in later stages able to move their muscles and react to external stimuli), but being "alive" is not automatically a good reason not to kill it, so I'll move on and address the second part of your question.

As medical technology has advanced, we have moved from a baby being viable (able to live detached from its mother, as its own little being) from ~7 months to possibly being viable at ~5 months. When (not if - when) medical advances to a level where we can grow a fertilized egg into a human, will you consider fertilized eggs as persons?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:05 am

Galloism wrote:
DaWoad wrote:
Galloism wrote:However, also unlike the braindead individual on the table, a fetus still has potential. The braindead person doesn't - you can support them forever (within reason) and they will never recover and become a functioning person again, and they therefore have no current or future quality of life. That's why I would support the euthanasia a 60 year old braindead woman with no hope of recovery and object to a voluntary abortion of an 8 month old fetus. Before you jump down my throat, I know that almost never fucking happens, but I'm just giving my opinion on where I draw the line in my mind.

As far as the "dead" criterion, a couple of years ago a friend of mine suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning (long story) and was rushed to the hospital with no respiration and no pulse. The doctors told him he was "dead" (their term) for 9 minutes. Therefore, that's how I always took "dead" to mean from a medical standpoint. Of course, from a legal standpoint, he never "died" but the doctors seemed to think he did from a medical standpoint - until they brought him back. That's just my 2 cents.

(generally medical death is essentially braindeath the whole blod pumping heart beating bit is because after a certain point of lakc of the blood or the breathing your brain dies off and some things are not fixable so persistent vtach for example=death cause it means that theres no way to get oxygen to the brain in tiime to stop the brain from dying off completely.)
now theoretically that works great. There's a problem though very very very occasionally braindead people become not braindead.So either you have to redefine death or you have to redefine life . . .

Well, as I said previously, I consider a braindead person to be "alive" as long as the body as a whole is still functioning (respiring, blood still pumping, converting oxygen into carbon dioxide, etc) - even with assistance, so I don't see the contradiction. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

If you eat meat, you are killing a being with far more sentience and sapience than a brain dead corpse. I am not a vegetarian, therefore I cannot think it wrong to "kill" that which has no higher brain function.
A little homework for you!

What part of L(f(t)) = Int(exp(-s*t)*f(t),t,0,inf) don't you understand?

Laconis
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Laconis » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:06 am

Inarui wrote:
Laconis wrote:Here's a question that popped into my mind just now.

When do you think you were first "Alive"? As in a living creature distinguishable from your mother? I'd say 11-12 weeks in. That's just me. What say you all?

I don't think you can remember that. When do we truly gain sense of ourselves, I think when we realize it. At 3 0r 4, hazily, I knew I was a separate person, from my mother.

I'm not asking about when you became self aware. I'm saying, if you looked back on your life, when do you think you first became a living "thing". Quite different than being self-aware.
"The stupid that comes out of your mouth amazes me sometimes." - Laconis

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:09 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:If you eat meat, you are killing a being with far more sentience and sapience than a brain dead corpse. I am not a vegetarian, therefore I cannot think it wrong to "kill" that which has no higher brain function.

And if you read the thread, you'd know I didn't say it was wrong either:

ME, dammit wrote:As a personal definition, I would say that the braindead woman was still a "person", as long as she continued to breathe (assisted or no), blood continued to be pumped around in circles through her arteries and veins, and her body's cells were still functional.

That's not to say that I would object to having the plug pulled, so to speak. I am actually in support of euthanasia for people that have no hope of ever recovering, but that's not quite the same thing.

We're discussing the definition of personhood and when a homo sapien achieves personhood, not abortion, and not euthanasia.
Last edited by Galloism on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pevisopolis
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Pevisopolis » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:09 am

A fetus is somewhere inbetween "Person" and "Not a person".
Jesus God almighty man, look at that lot over there! They've spotted us!

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:11 am

Galloism wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:If you eat meat, you are killing a being with far more sentience and sapience than a brain dead corpse. I am not a vegetarian, therefore I cannot think it wrong to "kill" that which has no higher brain function.

And if you read the thread, I didn't say it was wrong either:

ME, dammit wrote:As a personal definition, I would say that the braindead woman was still a "person", as long as she continued to breathe (assisted or no), blood continued to be pumped around in circles through her arteries and veins, and her body's cells were still functional.

That's not to say that I would object to having the plug pulled, so to speak. I am actually in support of euthanasia for people that have no hope of ever recovering, but that's not quite the same thing.

We're discussing the definition of personhood and when a homo sapien achieves personhood, not abortion, and not euthanasia.

Essentially, I'm saying that if you wish to extend personhood to fetuses prior to brain development or to brain dead individuals, then you must, in order to be logically consistent, extend personhood to essentially all vertebrates and a few invertebrates as well.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:11 am

Galloism wrote:will you consider fertilized eggs as persons?

Nope. They'll be a potential human, but they will be just as unpersonlike (that can't be a word) as a week old foetus in a womb, say.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:12 am

Galloism wrote:will you consider fertilized eggs as persons?

Nope. They'll be a potential human, but they will be just as unpersonlike (that can't be a word) as a week old foetus in a womb, say.

And compared with an 8 month old fetus?

I want to know by what criteria you're drawing this line - since apparently "able to live as an individual life outside of its mother" isn't it, as you originally claimed.

The Tofu Islands
Minister

Founded: Mar 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tofu Islands » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:12 am

Pevisopolis wrote:A fetus is somewhere inbetween "Person" and "Not a person".

So it's the word "and"?
</taking you absolutely literally>
Out of curiosity, at what stage before would you definitely classify it as "not a person"? And at what stage after would you definitely classify it as "a person"?
In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:13 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Essentially, I'm saying that if you wish to extend personhood to fetuses prior to brain development or to brain dead individuals, then you must, in order to be logically consistent, extend personhood to essentially all vertebrates and a few invertebrates as well.

Nah, because I already said it only extends to the homo sapien species (as of this time and our knowledge).

UnhealthyTruthseeker
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby UnhealthyTruthseeker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:15 am

Galloism wrote:
UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:Essentially, I'm saying that if you wish to extend personhood to fetuses prior to brain development or to brain dead individuals, then you must, in order to be logically consistent, extend personhood to essentially all vertebrates and a few invertebrates as well.

Nah, because I already said it only extends to the homo sapien species (as of this time and our knowledge).

Why? Upon what logic is this based? If you give it to brain dead patients, you might as well give it to fish. I'm not in favor of extending personhood out that far, but I'm also not in favor of giving it to the brain dead.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:16 am

It doesn't matter if a fetus is a person. It doesn't change the underlying argument; that a person's right to the control over his or her own body trumps all other considerations. That's why blood transfusions aren't mandatory. That's why organ donation is voluntary. The fact that a life could be saved is not enough to force a medical decision on anyone; not even a corpse.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:16 am

Galloism wrote:since apparently "able to live as an individual life outside of its mother" isn't it,

When did I say that?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:22 am

UnhealthyTruthseeker wrote:
Galloism wrote:

Why? Upon what logic is this based? If you give it to brain dead patients, you might as well give it to fish. I'm not in favor of extending personhood out that far, but I'm also not in favor of giving it to the brain dead.

I'm a speciest. 8)

Nah, the dictionary - first definition:

1. A living human. Often used in combination: chairperson; spokesperson; salesperson.

Which, of course, brings us back to the definition of "living":

1. Possessing life

Which, naturally, brings us to life:

1 a: the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body b: a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings

Now, whether a person in that each of these states is "alive" or not we can argue about. Only by determining whether they are living or not can we determine whether they are a person.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:23 am

Galloism wrote:since apparently "able to live as an individual life outside of its mother" isn't it,

When did I say that?

Well, you said if we become able to grow a fertilized egg into a child outside the womb in some sort of artificial device that that still doesn't make the fertilized egg a person.

Now, I want to know why that egg is not a person, by a 6 month old premie on life support in a hospital is.

No Names Left Damn It
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby No Names Left Damn It » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:25 am

Galloism wrote:Now, I want to know why that egg is not a person, by a 6 month old premie on life support in a hospital is.

Because that egg is a cell. It is about as conscious and humanlike as an amoeba.

Meldaria
Minister

Founded: Jul 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Meldaria » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:28 am

By state law in the United States a fetus becomes a person 6 months into production, so around the 3rd trimester. I don't know if I agree with that, but it does sound quite reasonable.
The Aryan Nationalist Party of Meldaria
Fascist Imperialist Union
All my comrades join me here today!
Extended Factbook
Democracy has failed. Return to the fascist ways!
FIU Map
DEFCON 5 4 3 2 [1]

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:28 am

Galloism wrote:Now, I want to know why that egg is not a person, by a 6 month old premie on life support in a hospital is.

Because that egg is a cell. It is about as conscious and humanlike as an amoeba.

I agree with you, but, you need to come up with some criteria as to when it becomes a person. You originally inserted that a fetus is not a person because it's dependent on its mother. In our favorite little hypothetical game - "Guess the future" - we've taken that out of the equation for the original fertilized egg.

Now, you must come up with some new criteria. Brain activity? If so, fetuses have that at a certain stage. Heartbeat? Earlier stage. Ability to move muscles and react to stimuli? That also happens at a certain stage of fetal development.

So, where do you draw the line at, NNLDI, and for what reason?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:33 am

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:It doesn't matter if a fetus is a person. It doesn't change the underlying argument; that a person's right to the control over his or her own body trumps all other considerations. That's why blood transfusions aren't mandatory. That's why organ donation is voluntary. The fact that a life could be saved is not enough to force a medical decision on anyone; not even a corpse.

Exactly. I'm mostly standing around arguing semantics for the hell of it.

No one's going to come in here and give a serious "anti-choice" argument that's even worth destroying. It never happens anymore.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:34 am

Meldaria wrote:By state law in the United States a fetus becomes a person 6 months into production, so around the 3rd trimester. I don't know if I agree with that, but it does sound quite reasonable.

Well two interesting things happen in the approximate vicinity of that mark that complicate the argument. First, the fetus is viable outside the womb. While a woman has an express right to remove that fetus, there is no express right to kill it. Second, the risks of an abortion surpass the risk of a normal pregnancy. So from a medical standpoint, the safer course of action for the woman is birth. That's why late term abortions are so rare; unless there are complications, the risks to the mother are too high.
Last edited by Lunatic Goofballs on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:36 am

Galloism wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:It doesn't matter if a fetus is a person. It doesn't change the underlying argument; that a person's right to the control over his or her own body trumps all other considerations. That's why blood transfusions aren't mandatory. That's why organ donation is voluntary. The fact that a life could be saved is not enough to force a medical decision on anyone; not even a corpse.

Exactly. I'm mostly standing around arguing semantics for the hell of it.

No one's going to come in here and give a serious "anti-choice" argument that's even worth destroying. It never happens anymore.

That's because there isn't one. :p

Hunter S. Thompson

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General