NATION

PASSWORD

*BREAKING NEWS*: Debates are forbidden on NS

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

*BREAKING NEWS*: Debates are forbidden on NS

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:21 am

Open letter to the NS audience

Dear NS people,

Whatever you say on NS, someone will not agree and another will eventually get upset. Some will even call you a dumb fucker and few will even suggest to kill you for your philosophy, concept, argument or idea.

At such, almost every thread can be considered as trolling, since you always will upset at least one man, woman or a dog with a baseball cap.

NS changed a lot since the ‘Big Move’ from Jolt. The forum GUI is uglier and is less user-friendly, the audience changed (dropped in average age by instance) and the mods their attitude against trolling changed as well.

On Jolt you could discuss about the existence or non-existence of god(s) as long you were more or less polite and not victimizing certain groups. It was certainly possible to start a thread like “God doesn’t exist”, just because this one is polite and not victimizing people, at least the initial posting created by me. Maybe you don’t like the content or don’t share the idea, but it is in no way offending.

Today this is considered as trolling and as a consequence locked. If it is really trolling, which it probably is – who am I to disagree with the opinion of the mods, I’m not worthy - then we can’t debate about anything anymore.

Starting from today, forget debating about:

• Obama
• Bush
• America
• Europe
• China
• Iceland
• Atheism
• Religion
• Communism
• Capitalism
• Politics
• Abortion
• Euthanasia
• Ferrari vs Porsche
• Barcelona vs Real Madrid
• The rights of homosexuals
• Superman vs Spiderman
• Jews & Palestine
• The war in Iraq and Afghanistan
• Hot Lesbians
• …

All those topics have allies, enemies, believers, non-believers, people that simple agree and do not agree. Whatever line you’ll write, you certainly will upset someone and thus troll people.

It seems that debates are now forbidden at NS. Which is sad, because that was the reason I was on board.

I understand that the mods suffer a hard time. Their Moderation section is triggered more by the (new) users than ever before. It seems that everyone is flaming and trolling. If you disagree, go to the moderation section, yell ‘TROLLING’ and they will lock the thread. I understand that they have to adjust their way of working to the new audience which is clearly much younger than the dirty old men and women from Jolt. The new kids on the block are much easier upset, suffer from weak debating skills (yet), poor topic choice and have a lack of good manners.

I think I can speak in name of a significant share of ‘old’ regular Jolt people:

‘Mods, don’t fall into the trap of locking threads just because someone doesn’t like the content’.

By doing it, you’re undermining the initial concept of Nationstates and the General forum section in special: a place where you can debate about everything. This is including the idea of thinking aloud that God doesn’t exist.

By locking threads just to fulfil the desire of the young weak debaters you’ll result in an exodus of regular ones. The quality of the forum already dropped a lot and would continue dropping in the future. At a sudden point we only can talk 'bout the birds and the bees and the flowers and the trees. I don’t think this is what the founding fathers & mothers of Nationstates had in mind. Stay at your core business: go for quality, not for number of posters. Else you’re just a forum like zillion other ones.

However, we always can talk about the weather.
In Antwerp (Belgium), it is cold for the time of the year, the sky is covered with clouds and the rain will fall any minute now.

How’s the weather in your place?

Yours sincerely,

I’m Hairless Kitten and you are not.

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: *BREAKING NEWS*: Debates are forbidden on NS

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:22 am

Let's check the whine-o-meter...BUZZ Holy crap! It's gone haywire!
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Non Aligned States
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Non Aligned States » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:33 am

Hairless Kitten has a point though. While not quite as bad as she's made it out to be, I've noted that the mods are touchier of late, and the quality of moderation complaints are more towards the "Oh noes, they made fun of me" line than the more serious offenses. I've wondered about that.
Last edited by Non Aligned States on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:33 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:Starting from today, forget debating about:

• Hot Lesbians

I demand a recount.

Seriously, this is a pathetic thread.

*passes out cheese*
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 22, 2007
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:33 am

I wonder why.
Alien Space Bats wrote:2012: The Year We Lost Contact (with Reality).

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

This is Nationstates we're here to help

Are you a native or resident of North Carolina?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:34 am

Galloism wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:Starting from today, forget debating about:

• Hot Lesbians

I demand a recount.

Seriously, this is a pathetic thread.

*passes out cheese*

*eats some cheese*

Cha. As if!
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:38 am

I guess we will all just have to start our own thread
with blackjack and hookers.

Obamacult wrote:Maybe there is an economically sound and rational reason why there are no longer high paying jobs for qualified accountants, assembly line workers, glass blowers, blacksmiths, tanners, etc.

Maybe dragons took their jobs. Maybe unicorns only hid their jobs because unicorns are dicks. Maybe 'jobs' is only an illusion created by a drug addled infant pachyderm. Fuck dude, if we're in 'maybe' land, don't hold back.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:39 am

United Dependencies wrote:I guess we will all just have to start our own thread

Strip poker? Uuuuuhhhh, nice. :clap:
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:39 am

I'm in. :twisted:
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Seculartopia
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seculartopia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:39 am

Non Aligned States wrote:Hairless Kitten has a point though. While not quite as bad as she's made it out to be, I've noted that the mods are touchier of late, and the quality of moderation complaints are more towards the "Oh noes, they made fun of me" line than the more serious offenses. I've wondered about that.

They do have an interesting point. I don't remember the jolt forum s though because i joined way afterwards.

But i wouldnt say Debates are forbidden. Ya, they are met almost all the time with complainers and whiners who complain that teh thread is unfair, and some that will declare war on your ideas or sanction them.

It doesnt mean you cant debate, maybe just dont be as "This is the way it is"-ish.
Last edited by Seculartopia on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
LOL....Google Chrome doesnt support the Google Toolbar
|Seculartopia Encyclopedia|
|Ask Seculartopia A Question|

Alliances- International Secular Coalition-AMTF-Comintern Founding Member-Nuclear Arms Assembly

Ifreann Awesomeness
Rhodmire wrote:4/5 for being bold enough to put up what looks like something made from MS Paint.
That takes balls, and you've got them.

All was dark when the armies surrounded the town. There was little bloodshed as they swept in, and they quickly took control. "Success," said a communicator, "a base has been established."

OOC:There. Now, we'll wait for UK to catch up.

^EPIC RP GODMOD FAIL!!

Civics Quiz
You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %
Average score for this quiz during August: 75.6%

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:39 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Sounds like a good evening.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:41 am

Galloism wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Sounds like a good evening.

Master, you're in charge of the bar. :hug:
Buffy, you bring the snacks. I want mofongo balls. Deliver! :D
UD, you bring the hookers. ;)
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini

United Dependencies
Postmaster-General

Postby United Dependencies » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:42 am

Seculartopia wrote:
Non Aligned States wrote:Hairless Kitten has a point though. While not quite as bad as she's made it out to be, I've noted that the mods are touchier of late, and the quality of moderation complaints are more towards the "Oh noes, they made fun of me" line than the more serious offenses. I've wondered about that.

They do have an interesting point. I don't remember the jolt forum s though because i joined way afterwards.

But i wouldnt say Debates are forbidden. Ya, they are met almost all the time with complainers and whiners who complain that teh thread is unfair, and some that will declare war on your ideas or sanction them.

It doesnt mean you cant debate, maybe just dont be as "This is the way it is"-ish.

Back on topic though:

I wonder why it seems like the mods are a little more reactive as of late.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:43 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Master, you're in charge of the bar. :hug:

Pollo o camarones? Puñeta, traeré los dos. :D

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Seculartopia
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seculartopia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:44 am

United Dependencies wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:

Back on topic though:

The mods have a mind of their own. I mean that both literally and metaphorically.
LOL....Google Chrome doesnt support the Google Toolbar
|Seculartopia Encyclopedia|
|Ask Seculartopia A Question|

Alliances- International Secular Coalition-AMTF-Comintern Founding Member-Nuclear Arms Assembly

Ifreann Awesomeness
Rhodmire wrote:4/5 for being bold enough to put up what looks like something made from MS Paint.
That takes balls, and you've got them.

All was dark when the armies surrounded the town. There was little bloodshed as they swept in, and they quickly took control. "Success," said a communicator, "a base has been established."

OOC:There. Now, we'll wait for UK to catch up.

^EPIC RP GODMOD FAIL!!

Civics Quiz
You answered 31 out of 33 correctly — 93.94 %
Average score for this quiz during August: 75.6%

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:45 am

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Master, you're in charge of the bar. :hug:

Pollo o camarones? Puñeta, traeré los dos. :D

Carrucho, coño, carrucho! :D

No, but I know what the OP means. There have been some things that were permissible on Jolt, like the memes, and now we cannot use them.
Slava Ukraini

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:46 am

United Dependencies wrote:quote]

Back on topic though:

I never bothered with the Jolt Forum so I don't know personally what it was like, but I get the feeling they were a little more lenient. I don't think they're being unfair at all though. Hairless Kitten's thread was trolling in my opinion. She offered no explanation for her claim, just a haphazard fuck of an OP. All she wanted to do was bait strong theists into her thread and see what would have happened, I think.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Aelosia
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Aelosia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:46 am

Now Jolt people are "old" people?

Get off of my lawn you kids
My ratings in the top 100:
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Lowest Unemployment Rates
Aelosia is ranked 12th in the world for Largest Defense Forces
Aelosia is ranked 13th in the world for Most Scientifically Advanced
Aelosia is ranked 20th in the world for Most Cultured
Aelosia is ranked 24th in the world for Most Subsidized Industry
Aelosia is ranked 25th in the world for Fastest-Growing Economies
Aelosia is ranked 38th in the world for Largest Public Transport Department
Aelosia is ranked 42th in the world for Largest Publishing Industry
Aelosia is ranked 51th in the world for Largest Information Technology Sector
Aelosia is ranked 61th in the world for Largest Arms Manufacturing Sector

Factbook so far.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:46 am

anybody else getting a bit tired of the "everything was better on jolt" whining?

although, I do believe I may be alone in thinking the jolt forums were crap and that was why I stopped posting on them soon after the switch to jolt from the original forum.
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:47 am

Ya know... no, I don't see it. We've seen hoards of new players rush in before. The move apparently encouraged some of the RPGers to give General a chance where they found out that we are bastards and bitches par excellence and I think the Mods have been having to deal with people who normally operate under a somewhat different set of rules and are trying hard to make sure everyone is playing nice.

But, we've gotten in newbie hoards before during summer and after a few months, they either leave or go some skin. I really don't see much of a decline in debate, if anything, we've just gotten more of them and meaner because for the first time in a long time, we're not talking to ourselves and there's more than just the usual suspects tho disagree with.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Treznor
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Treznor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:02 am

Hmm...I'm tempted to call bullshit. But before I do, I invite you to provide links to threads that were locked purely on the basis that someone didn't like the content, and not because the OP was violating forum rules.

For example, my Rules of Acquisition thread was locked because I was deemed to be baiting, but I'm willing to accept this. Does this fall under your litany of complaints?

Treznor
Negotiator

Democratic Socialists

Postby Treznor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:03 am

Aelosia wrote:Now Jolt people are "old" people?

Yeah, don't make me whack you with my cane!

Unless...you happen to like that sort of thing. Then we can talk.

Nodinia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Nodinia » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:04 am

Though it is true that some of us Jolt people are old people, but thats a different kettle of fish altogether.......

Non Aligned States
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Non Aligned States » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:07 am

NERVUN wrote:Ya know... no, I don't see it. We've seen hoards of new players rush in before. The move apparently encouraged some of the RPGers to give General a chance where they found out that we are bastards and bitches par excellence and I think the Mods have been having to deal with people who normally operate under a somewhat different set of rules and are trying hard to make sure everyone is playing nice.

But, we've gotten in newbie hoards before during summer and after a few months, they either leave or go some skin. I really don't see much of a decline in debate, if anything, we've just gotten more of them and meaner because for the first time in a long time, we're not talking to ourselves and there's more than just the usual suspects tho disagree with.

Don't know about you, but I picked up an official warning on here over stuff that would have been ignored back in Jolt, and a few warnings I saw get passed out were for what were pretty mild things on Jolt, and a peak in moderation do show a few more complaints over minor stuff.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Postby Grays Harbor » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:07 am

probably evil of me, and even approaching a hijack, so I apologize for the following.

I cannot resist..........

:blush:
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General