NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion: A Father's Right to Choose

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you support the bill introduced by John Adams?

Yes
13%
No
55%
No opinion
4%
The President? What year is it? Great Scott!
19%
Sam Adams makes a good beer. His brother can't be bad.
8%

Total votes : 324

Lycandom
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Abortion: A Father's Right to Choose

Postby Lycandom » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:14 pm

He's choosing to give up all responsibility and be lazy and careless, so if he ends up dealing with a pregnant girlfriend then he gets to shut the fuck up and help her in whatever way she asks with absolutely zero complaints of any kind.

If the guy doesn't even attempt to use protection then yeah he should shut up and help her. :blush:

Besides, women are equally stupid. That's a good part of the reason why we have abortion in the first place: to prevent them from reproducing to get them to fix their mistakes.

:eyebrow: I can see why you consider it a reason (high-five), but in seriousness, stupid people shouldn't be making big decisions that need intellectual thought. (no offense to anyone)

(Be sure to read my last post.)
Region: The Commonwealth of Arnor
Rank: Minister of Internal Affairs (Official Title: Lord Privy Seal of Internal Affairs) Duke of Farlindon, Viscount of Bree-land, Marquess of Dunland

Congratulations to Euna Lee And Laura Ling (CURRENT reporters) for their release. Welcome Home!
Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. ~Andre Gide
To learn something new, take the path that you took yesterday. ~John Burroughs

Lycandom
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lycandom » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:23 pm

[EDITED OUT] Sorry double post again. **** submit button.
Last edited by Lycandom on Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rank: Minister of Internal Affairs (Official Title: Lord Privy Seal of Internal Affairs) Duke of Farlindon, Viscount of Bree-land, Marquess of Dunland

Congratulations to Euna Lee And Laura Ling (CURRENT reporters) for their release. Welcome Home!

Skaladora
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 04, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Skaladora » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:29 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:
Skaladora wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:There are plenty of contraceptives for men to use already.

Yeah, but men are stupid.

You're just jealous. 8)

Actually, I'm a man. So I should know.

Blouman Empire
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Blouman Empire » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:51 pm

Skaladora wrote:
Blouman Empire wrote:There are plenty of contraceptives for men to use already.

Yeah, but men are stupid.

I'm sure you are. :p
You know you've made it on NSG when you have a whole thread created around what you said.
On the American/United Statesian matter "I'd suggest Americans go to their nation settings and change their nation prefix to something cooler." - The Kangaroo Republic
http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Blouman_Empire

DBC26-Winner

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:52 pm

I would not support forcing a woman to bring a fetus to term. Under any circumstances.

I would, however, want 'first dibs' at the child if the mother didn't want it, or was declared unfit, if I was in fact the other half of the equation.

Not her parents. Not her sister, not her best friend. Me.
Holder of unpopular opinions.

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:01 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:I would not support forcing a woman to bring a fetus to term. Under any circumstances.

I would, however, want 'first dibs' at the child if the mother didn't want it, or was declared unfit, if I was in fact the other half of the equation.

Not her parents. Not her sister, not her best friend. Me.

I would hope that you'd want to be a part of raising your child even if the mother did have custody. And, under current law, unless being around you would somehow be harmful to the child, that would be your right.
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

Hiddenrun
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hiddenrun » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:09 pm

Dempublicents1 wrote:I would hope that you'd want to be a part of raising your child even if the mother did have custody. And, under current law, unless being around you would somehow be harmful to the child, that would be your right.

If the woman doesn't want the child, or isn't fit to raise a child, I'd want sole custody. My first wife thought motherhood was a great idea, until she got so fucked up that she actually put our child in danger. In that case, I'm very glad that my parental rights prevented her from fobbing off our child on her mother. No point in sharing custody with an unfit parent.
Holder of unpopular opinions.

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:36 pm

Skaladora wrote:
Skaladora wrote:Yeah, but men are stupid.

You're just jealous. 8)

Actually, I'm a man. So I should know.

I meant a different sort of jealousy.... well, to cite an example, let's say a straight guy comes home from his umpteenth successive night of unsuccessfully attempting to enhance his meaningless existence by failing to convince women to let him stick his penis in them, starts a thread on the internet and calls it "Women are stupid". Y'know.
Signatures are for losers.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:02 pm

Skaladora wrote:Actually, I'm a man. So I should know.

I meant a different sort of jealousy.... well, to cite an example, let's say a straight guy comes home from his umpteenth successive night of unsuccessfully attempting to enhance his meaningless existence by failing to convince women to let him stick his penis in them, starts a thread on the internet and calls it "Women are stupid". Y'know.

I think maybe you mean resentment, not jealousy.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Skaladora
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 04, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Skaladora » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:14 pm

Saint Clair Island wrote:I meant a different sort of jealousy.... well, to cite an example, let's say a straight guy comes home from his umpteenth successive night of unsuccessfully attempting to enhance his meaningless existence by failing to convince women to let him stick his penis in them, starts a thread on the internet and calls it "Women are stupid". Y'know.

Actually, I have a boyfriend, so no, I'm not basing myself on my inability to get some to say men are stupid.

I'm just doing a "Why, thank you, Captain obvious!" moment.

Men generally think with the littlest of their two heads, hence why so few of them actively and intelligently manage contraception.

Saint Clair Island
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Clair Island » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Skaladora wrote:
Saint Clair Island wrote:I meant a different sort of jealousy.... well, to cite an example, let's say a straight guy comes home from his umpteenth successive night of unsuccessfully attempting to enhance his meaningless existence by failing to convince women to let him stick his penis in them, starts a thread on the internet and calls it "Women are stupid". Y'know.

Actually, I have a boyfriend, so no, I'm not basing myself on my inability to get some to say men are stupid.

I'm just doing a "Why, thank you, Captain obvious!" moment.

Men generally think with the littlest of their two heads, hence why so few of them actively and intelligently manage contraception.

Meh, if I have to explain the joke, it probably wasn't good enough the first time.

*retires*
Signatures are for losers.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:48 pm

Hiddenrun wrote:
Dempublicents1 wrote:I would hope that you'd want to be a part of raising your child even if the mother did have custody. And, under current law, unless being around you would somehow be harmful to the child, that would be your right.

If the woman doesn't want the child, or isn't fit to raise a child, I'd want sole custody. My first wife thought motherhood was a great idea, until she got so fucked up that she actually put our child in danger. In that case, I'm very glad that my parental rights prevented her from fobbing off our child on her mother. No point in sharing custody with an unfit parent.

i dont believe you
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

The Black Forrest
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Black Forrest » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:04 pm

Muravyets wrote:(Note: I'm only being a little sarcastic. I do think most anti-choicers are just plain liars about their motives, but I also do believe that another significant number of them are just really that confused.)

I am anti-choice. I don't think women should have the right to tell me no!

I am also not a liar! I will love you in the morning!
*I am a master proofreader after I click Submit.
* There is actually a War on Christmas. But Christmas started it, with it's unparalleled aggression against the Thanksgiving Holiday, and now Christmas has seized much Lebensraum in November, and are pushing into October. The rest of us seek to repel these invaders, and push them back to the status quo ante bellum Black Friday border. -Trotskylvania
* Silence Is Golden But Duct Tape Is Silver.
* I felt like Ayn Rand cornered me at a party, and three minutes in I found my first objection to what she was saying, but she kept talking without interruption for ten more days. - Max Barry talking about Atlas Shrugged

Surote
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:27 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Muravyets wrote:(Note: I'm only being a little sarcastic. I do think most anti-choicers are just plain liars about their motives, but I also do believe that another significant number of them are just really that confused.)

No,Women go through the pain they get to choose

Lycandom
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lycandom » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:56 am

The Black Forrest wrote:

I think there is a difference between Anti-Choice and Pro-Life. When you are truly pro-life you don't believe in taking anyone's rights away, you just want to give the new life a fighting chance. When you are Anti-Choice, you don't think there should even be the option. See, Pro-Lifers don't say there shouldn't be a choice they simply say that you shouldn't choose that option because (various reasons) and Anti-Choosers say you don't get a choice.

Black Forrest, I'm glad that you don't use people, shows good character. :p

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:58 am

Lycandom wrote:See, Pro-Lifers don't say there shouldn't be a choice they simply say that you shouldn't choose that option because (various reasons) and Anti-Choosers say you don't get a choice.

If only this were true.

Unfortunately, the "pro-life" movement IS anti-choice. The "pro-life" movement, including every single mainstream organization that identifies with that label, advocates removing choice in the area of women's reproductive health care. They advocate bans on abortions or laws which make abortions impossible to obtain. They are actively and constantly working to make sure that abortion is not an available option.

So, while it might be nice to parse things differently, I think it's naive to try to claim that "real" pro-lifers still support the right to choose. That's simply not true, because the people who support the position you're describing are identified as "pro-choice."
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

Lycandom
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lycandom » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:08 pm

The "Movement" doesn't represent everyone. Only the leaders of the "movement" get to say what the "movement" represents. I believe in what I said.

Real Pro-Lifers do believe what I said, I never said that we were abundant. :)

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm

Bottle wrote:
Lycandom wrote:See, Pro-Lifers don't say there shouldn't be a choice they simply say that you shouldn't choose that option because (various reasons) and Anti-Choosers say you don't get a choice.

If only this were true.

It sometimes is, actually. Even the latest polls on the matter make it clear that most people who identify as pro-life are actually pro-choice. While there is a sub-set of the pro-life movement that focuses on making abortion illegal, there are far more people who are pro-life, but do not seek to change the law on the issue.

Unfortunately, the "pro-life" movement IS anti-choice. The "pro-life" movement, including every single mainstream organization that identifies with that label, advocates removing choice in the area of women's reproductive health care. They advocate bans on abortions or laws which make abortions impossible to obtain. They are actively and constantly working to make sure that abortion is not an available option.

I think you're correct about the actual organizations that identify as such. I think that has more to do with the fact that, since the people who identify as pro-life but don't want to ban the procedure aren't really looking to change the law, they're less likely to create/join such groups.

So, while it might be nice to parse things differently, I think it's naive to try to claim that "real" pro-lifers still support the right to choose. That's simply not true, because the people who support the position you're describing are identified as "pro-choice."

The problem is that it's silly to use the term "pro-life" in opposition to the term "pro-choice." All it does is introduce confusion. The term "pro-life" makes more sense in a discussion of the morality of abortion or of its advisability than it does in a discussion of the legality of abortion (where the term "pro-choice" resides). If we're looking for a position that is actually opposed to "pro-choice", it makes more sense to go with a term like "anti-choice", or, if you're looking for a pro- term, "pro-ban."
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:01 pm

DaWoad wrote:
Hiddenrun wrote:

i dont believe you

But his avatar is Reagan, you have to believe him!
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

The_pantless_hero
Senator

Founded: Mar 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The_pantless_hero » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:02 pm

Lycandom wrote:I think there is a difference between Anti-Choice and Pro-Life. When you are truly pro-life you don't believe in taking anyone's rights away, you just want to give the new life a fighting chance. When you are Anti-Choice, you don't think there should even be the option. See, Pro-Lifers don't say there shouldn't be a choice they simply say that you shouldn't choose that option because (various reasons) and Anti-Choosers say you don't get a choice.

Your logic and complete separation from reality makes me think you should be taking something.
Bottle wrote:Equality is a slippery slope, people, and if you give it to the gays you have to give it to the polygamists and if you give it to the polygamists you have to give it to the serial dog molesters and if you give it to the serial dog molesters you have to give it to the machine fetishists and the next thing you know you're being tied up by a trio of polygamist lesbian powerbooks and you can't get out because the safety word is case sensistive!

Doing what we must because we can

Lycandom
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Lycandom » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:56 pm

Pantless said:
Your logic and complete separation from reality makes me think you should be taking something.

Maybe, you just don't get it. Perhaps you should hit the books. :eyebrow:

Maybe you'd understand it better pantless if someone else (Dempublicents1) said it to you:

Bottle wrote:
Lycandom wrote:
See, Pro-Lifers don't say there shouldn't be a choice they simply say that you shouldn't choose that option because (various reasons) and Anti-Choosers say you don't get a choice.

If only this were true.

It sometimes is, actually. Even the latest polls on the matter make it clear that most people who identify as pro-life are actually pro-choice. While there is a sub-set of the pro-life movement that focuses on making abortion illegal, there are far more people who are pro-life, but do not seek to change the law on the issue...people who identify as pro-life but don't want to ban the procedure aren't really looking to change the law, they're less likely to create/join such groups.

The problem is that it's silly to use the term "pro-life" in opposition to the term "pro-choice." All it does is introduce confusion. The term "pro-life" makes more sense in a discussion of the morality of abortion or of its advisability than it does in a discussion of the legality of abortion (where the term "pro-choice" resides). If we're looking for a position that is actually opposed to "pro-choice", it makes more sense to go with a term like "anti-choice", or, if you're looking for a pro- term, "pro-ban."

The people who use the term pro-life use it incorrectly. You can see this in the case of execution. Not all pro-life groups are against execution even though that is a clear Life issue. Dem is right, Pro-choice and Pro-life don't match as a pair. Pro-life belongs to those people who are, as I said, searching not to change the law, but to advise people and educate them on the issue. Pro-choice should be used along with perhaps the term, Pro-No Choice?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General