NATION

PASSWORD

Abortion: A Father's Right to Choose

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Would you support the bill introduced by John Adams?

Yes
13%
No
55%
No opinion
4%
The President? What year is it? Great Scott!
19%
Sam Adams makes a good beer. His brother can't be bad.
8%

Total votes : 324

The Scandinvans
Senator

Founded: Oct 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Abortion: A Father's Right to Choose

Postby The Scandinvans » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:50 pm

Vectrova wrote:
The Scandinvans wrote:I love being the one who does the confronting and abortion is ever so fun of topic. Also, I just checked one of the giant biology books in my room (I have no real life) and a fetus are not defined as a parasite by any of them. So it seems your liberal propaganda will not work on my books from the 50s. :twisted:

Of course it isn't defined as parasitic. I simply call it one as in a non-scientific, casual sense because I perceive it as such.

A'course, getting paid by the Dishonest Liberal Media to turn everyone into baby-devouring, America hating, Obama Worshipping, Debt-spewing, godless communists is a good motivator too... :P
Do not worry my faith in the almighty dollar will save me from you! Also, my religion will save me!

*Summons Vikings to defend the one true God, ME!!!*
Last edited by The Scandinvans on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the Glorious Empire of the Scandinvans. Surrender or be destroyed. Your civilization has ended, your time is over. Your people will be assimilated into our Empire. Your technological distinctiveness shall be added to our own. Your culture shall be supplanted by our own. And your lands will be made into our lands.

"For five thousand years has our Empire endured. In war and peace we have thrived. Against overwhelming odds we evolved. No matter what we face we have always survived and grown. We shall always be triumphant." -Emperor Godfrey II

Hope for a brighter tomorrow - fight the fight, find the cure

Ravea
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:51 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Vectrova wrote:I do understand biology. Something that offers no benefit (genetic legacy isn't necessarily a benefit, although it isn't necessarily a detriment either) and taxes the system of its host is parasitic. Now, the extent to which a fetus is parasitic isn't quite the same as a tapeworm, I'll grant you, but still.

Though as for the last bit, that doesn't stop humans (and dolphins) from having sex just because it feels good. :P

That said, I like you. You're cool.

Thats the flawed predicate in your logic. You wrongly assume that the fetus "offers no benefit" to the mother. Sure it taxes the host. But you are wrong to state that it offers NO benefit to the mother. Don't believe me? Ask yours (if you can).

What benefits does the physical pregnancy actually bring the mother, out of curiosity?
~Omnia mutantur, nihil interit~

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:51 pm

Ravea wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Vectrova wrote:I do understand biology. Something that offers no benefit (genetic legacy isn't necessarily a benefit, although it isn't necessarily a detriment either) and taxes the system of its host is parasitic. Now, the extent to which a fetus is parasitic isn't quite the same as a tapeworm, I'll grant you, but still.

Though as for the last bit, that doesn't stop humans (and dolphins) from having sex just because it feels good. :P

Thats the flawed predicate in your logic. You wrongly assume that the fetus "offers no benefit" to the mother. Sure it taxes the host. But you are wrong to state that it offers NO benefit to the mother. Don't believe me? Ask yours (if you can).

What benefits does the physical pregnancy actually bring the mother, out of curiosity?

Bigger boobs.

KiloMikeAlpha still hasn't responded to the last reply I made to his argument; better hurry I have to work so I will be hitting the sack soon.
Last edited by SaintB on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:52 pm

SaintB wrote:
Ravea wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Thats the flawed predicate in your logic. You wrongly assume that the fetus "offers no benefit" to the mother. Sure it taxes the host. But you are wrong to state that it offers NO benefit to the mother. Don't believe me? Ask yours (if you can).

Bigger boobs.

I was under the impression pregnancy gave women bigger everything.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:53 pm

Ravea wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

Fatter feet.
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:53 pm

Ravea wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

Grand-children. Nuff said.

Seriously, I dont have the books in front of me, but there are a whole hosts of things that a pregnancy brings. Not the least of it is children. I'm sure that SOME women, if given the chance, would elect to gain children by some other means than passing a bowling ball through a golf ball sized orfice, but as far as I know, it is (of course other than C-section) the only way to bring children into the world.
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!
My Website | My Blogs | My Facebook Page

Who is John Galt?

The Scandinvans
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scandinvans » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Ravea wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

The ability to eat ice cream and chocolate without social stigma.
We are the Glorious Empire of the Scandinvans. Surrender or be destroyed. Your civilization has ended, your time is over. Your people will be assimilated into our Empire. Your technological distinctiveness shall be added to our own. Your culture shall be supplanted by our own. And your lands will be made into our lands.

"For five thousand years has our Empire endured. In war and peace we have thrived. Against overwhelming odds we evolved. No matter what we face we have always survived and grown. We shall always be triumphant." -Emperor Godfrey II

The Scandinvans
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Scandinvans » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:55 pm

Stop it is Wiki time.
Last edited by The Scandinvans on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:55 pm

SaintB wrote:KiloMikeAlpha still hasn't responded to the last reply I made to his argument; better hurry I have to work so I will be hitting the sack soon.

I didnt see you say anything. refer me back to the post and I'll respond.
If I was a dinosaur I'd be an Asskickasaurus. I have a rare form of tourrettes, I get the urge to complement people who are BSing me.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Ravea wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:Thats the flawed predicate in your logic. You wrongly assume that the fetus "offers no benefit" to the mother. Sure it taxes the host. But you are wrong to state that it offers NO benefit to the mother. Don't believe me? Ask yours (if you can).

Grand-children. Nuff said.

Seriously, I dont have the books in front of me, but there are a whole hosts of things that a pregnancy brings. Not the least of it is children. I'm sure that SOME women, if given the chance, would elect to gain children by some other means than passing a bowling ball through a golf ball sized orfice, but as far as I know, it is (of course other than C-section) the only way to bring children into the world.

But what if a women doesn't want to have, can't support, or was raped for that child to come into being? Wouldn't that be ground for termination? It is her body, after all.

And "Grandchildren" is not a sufficient reason.
Last edited by Ravea on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:57 pm

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
SaintB wrote:KiloMikeAlpha still hasn't responded to the last reply I made to his argument; better hurry I have to work so I will be hitting the sack soon.

I didnt see you say anything. refer me back to the post and I'll respond.

All the way back on page 3.
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:59 pm

Ravea wrote:But what if a women doesn't want to have, can't support, or was raped for that child to come into being? Wouldn't that be ground for termination? It is her body, after all.

I'm actually on the fence here.

What mother would let her child be killed and save herself? The only way I would support abortion in this case would be if the child would certainly die anyways.

Cant Support? Put up for adoption.

Raped? Why should the child have to die for the actions of the father? Adoption here too. (Not advocating rape.... I would castrate males accused of CERTAIN rapes)
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Vectrova
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Vectrova » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:00 am

The Scandinvans wrote:
Vectrova wrote:
The Scandinvans wrote:I love being the one who does the confronting and abortion is ever so fun of topic. Also, I just checked one of the giant biology books in my room (I have no real life) and a fetus are not defined as a parasite by any of them. So it seems your liberal propaganda will not work on my books from the 50s. :twisted:

Of course it isn't defined as parasitic. I simply call it one as in a non-scientific, casual sense because I perceive it as such.

A'course, getting paid by the Dishonest Liberal Media to turn everyone into baby-devouring, America hating, Obama Worshipping, Debt-spewing, godless communists is a good motivator too... :P
Do not worry my faith in the almighty dollar will save me from you! Also, my religion will save me!

*Summons Vikings to defend the one true God, ME!!!*

I do believe we're spamming at this point, so let's cut it out, yeah?

Back to the threadjack, KiloMikeAlpha, I already addressed genetic legacy as neither positive nor negative. My sympathies if you did not see that prior to posting. If you seriously want to debate a fetus' status as a parasite, at least list some positives beyond aforementioned genetic legacy.
This is a signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I hardy ever notice if someone else isn't being serious. By the same token, expect me to be serious.
If you want to know anything specific about me, send a TG and I'll respond when I can.
My nation is a caricature of what it should be. Do not take it terribly seriously.
I'm subject to disappear for periods of time with little to no explanation. This does not mean I conceded the argument; odds are that I just found something better to do.

Lackadaisical2 wrote::bow:
Clever bastard.

Collectively Awesome wrote:I'd install Vectrova as a political advisor.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He explained it better than I can.

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:02 am

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Ravea wrote:But what if a women doesn't want to have, can't support, or was raped for that child to come into being? Wouldn't that be ground for termination? It is her body, after all.

What mother would let her child be killed and save herself? The only way I would support abortion in this case would be if the child would certainly die anyways.

Raped? Why should the child have to die for the actions of the father? Adoption here too. (Not advocating rape.... I would castrate males accused of CERTAIN rapes)

I'm kind of confused about where this fence lies that you are supposedly on.
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:04 am

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

Well, under your reasoning, since we need more people, aborting to save the mother's life give the mother more chances to procreate, yes?

And, honestly, if I was a women and my body was violated, I would think that I had every right to abort something that was violently FORCED upon me and never wanted in the first place.

I just don't think we really need any more people to being with. Sex education is really where it's at, though if a women chooses to abort, it is HER choice, and HER body.

It also depends on if you believe that "life" begins at conception or at some point in mid-pregnancy.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:04 am

SaintB wrote:
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
It absolutely affects me. I am a father of 2 teenage girls. I am affected by them killing my posterity just as all of those in humanity are affected by the loss of that potential.

In that case you can voice your opinion to your pregnant teenage slut all you want. But you can't change her decision.
KiloMikeAlpha wrote:You say not everyone is going to get an abortion. Right. So it is OK if it is limited? If EVERYONE got one, it would be bad, right? So now we are talking about limits, and not the right to choose.

Balls in your court.

We are talking about the right to choose and not about limits. Most women go forward with their pregnancies, most women will continue to go on, and even if someone gets an abortion now they will very likely willingly have a child later on. Poking your nose into someone else's business unless it involves you is uncalled for, and wrong.

I used to have this same feeling. "No one but the Mother has the right to choose whether to have an abortion or not".

Now, I have grown up. I have seen things. I have had my children. I have seen the effects of abortion on women years later.

I have changed my views with time.

As for the poking nose into others business..... that sadens me. Where is the protection of those who cannot protect themselves? Are we so selfish and narcissistic that all we care about are ourselves? Do you ignore the gangs beating up the homeless man because it does not involve you? Do you turn the other way when you see a woman being raped, because it does not involve you?

If so, shame on you. Grow a pair. Stand up for the weak and voiceless.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:08 am

Wanting to ask about the effects of abortion on woman in later years as compared to the effects of pregnancy. Needing to go to bed, however.

Please, if you really want to argue about abortion and whether it is right or wrong or anything else abortion related that is not related to the OP, please go here - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8564
Also, me.

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:09 am

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:[

I used to have this same feeling. "No one but the Mother has the right to choose whether to have an abortion or not".

Now, I have grown up. I have seen things. I have had my children. I have seen the effects of abortion on women years later.

As for the poking nose into others business..... that sadens me. Where is the protection of those who cannot protect themselves? Are we so selfish and narcissistic that all we care about are ourselves? Do you ignore the gangs beating up the homeless man because it does not involve you? Do you turn the other way when you see a woman being raped, because it does not involve you?

I've seen the effects as well. The women I know have taken it in stride for the most part, and didn't let it tear them apart. Everyone takes it differently; don't generalize.

A fetus can't think for itself. It's not a person. It has no personality. Abortion cannot be compared to and has NOTHING to do with gang violence or rape.

For the sake of a stupid argument...What if Klara HItler had aborted lil' Adolf?

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:09 am

Ravea wrote:Well, under your reasoning, since we need more people, aborting to save the mother's life give the mother more chances to procreate, yes?

And, honestly, if I was a women and my body was violated, I would think that I had every right to abort something that was violently FORCED upon me and never wanted in the first place.

I just don't think we really need any more people to being with. Sex education is really where it's at, though if a women chooses to abort, it is HER choice, and HER body.

It also depends on if you believe that "life" begins at conception or at some point in mid-pregnancy.

I never said we need more people. In my mind, the mother has lived her life, the child has not.

How well has sex education done for us?

So, what if we got it wrong about when life begins? I'd rather err on the side of "life begins at conception" and not condone murder then, "life begins at day 90, so killing the fetus before then is OK, but we still do late term abortions... umm..." and be guilty of murder when it comes time to be judged.
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:13 am

Ravea wrote:

I've seen the effects as well. The women I know have taken it in stride for the most part, and didn't let it tear them apart. Everyone takes it differently; don't generalize.

A fetus can't think for itself. It's not a person. It has no personality. Abortion cannot be compared to and has NOTHING to do with gang violence or rape.

For the sake of a stupid argument...What if Klara HItler had aborted lil' Adolf?

Are you absolutely sure?
Are you willing to gamble on some Liberal propaganda?
Are you sure the fetus feels no pain at 4 weeks?
Are you sure they cant think?
When does a fetus gain the ability to feel pain? When do they have a personality?

Do you feel lucky? Well, Do ya?
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:14 am

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Ravea wrote:Well, under your reasoning, since we need more people, aborting to save the mother's life give the mother more chances to procreate, yes?

I never said we need more people. In my mind, the mother has lived her life, the child has not.

How well has sex education done for us?

So, what if we got it wrong about when life begins? I'd rather err on the side of "life begins at conception" and not condone murder then, "life begins at day 90, so killing the fetus before then is OK, but we still do late term abortions... umm..." and be guilty of murder when it comes time to be judged.

I'd say sex ed is a start, and needs to be vastly improved upon.

And you realize that a woman who is determined to get an abortion WILL get one, right? Didn't JFK say something about Abortion being safe, legal, and rare? I think instead of punishing a women by forcing her to carry a baby to term, or not letting her abort, we should improve education enough to that a pregnancy never occurs in the first place until a women is ready for it.

KiloMikeAlpha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby KiloMikeAlpha » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:14 am

Desperate Measures wrote:Wanting to ask about the effects of abortion on woman in later years as compared to the effects of pregnancy. Needing to go to bed, however.

Please, if you really want to argue about abortion and whether it is right or wrong or anything else abortion related that is not related to the OP, please go here - viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8564

Umm this post IS about abortion... how is this unrelated....
KMA is EXONERATED!!

Who is John Galt?

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:15 am

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Ravea wrote:

Are you absolutely sure?
Are you willing to gamble on some Liberal propaganda?
Are you sure the fetus feels no pain at 4 weeks?
Are you sure they cant think?
When does a fetus gain the ability to feel pain? When do they have a personality?

Do you feel lucky? Well, Do ya?

I am neither liberal or conservative, thank you very much. Both political spectrum generally disgust me.

Are you sure that a fetus does feel pain in 4 weeks, or can think, or whatever? Try to make an actual argument.

Vectrova
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Vectrova » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:15 am

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:
Desperate Measures wrote:Wanting to ask about the effects of abortion on woman in later years as compared to the effects of pregnancy. Needing to go to bed, however.

This topic is about the Father's Right to Choose bill, not Abortion. The thread I made (that Desperate Measures linked to) is.
This is a signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
I hardy ever notice if someone else isn't being serious. By the same token, expect me to be serious.
If you want to know anything specific about me, send a TG and I'll respond when I can.
My nation is a caricature of what it should be. Do not take it terribly seriously.
I'm subject to disappear for periods of time with little to no explanation. This does not mean I conceded the argument; odds are that I just found something better to do.

Lackadaisical2 wrote::bow:
Clever bastard.

Collectively Awesome wrote:I'd install Vectrova as a political advisor.

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:He explained it better than I can.

Ravea
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Ravea » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:16 am

KiloMikeAlpha wrote:

This thread is about a FATHER'S right to choose. Not abortion in general.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General