NATION

PASSWORD

The "Get The Cat-Tribe A Commendation Project"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:47 am

i have no opinion of anything proposed in WA....

but is cat-tribes back? he was taking a break from NSG and id hate to see him miss the celebration of his commendation.
whatever

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:53 am

Ashmoria wrote:i have no opinion of anything proposed in WA....

but is cat-tribes back? he was taking a break from NSG and id hate to see him miss the celebration of his commendation.

I'm no Sherlock Holmes but..

..clue..

Buy one.

Oh I'm just teasing Ash
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:56 am

Barringtonia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:i have no opinion of anything proposed in WA....

I'm no Sherlock Holmes but..

..clue..

Buy one.

Oh I'm just teasing Ash

lol

i did scroll quickly through this thread to check for his avatar but....
whatever

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:24 am

Hammurab wrote:Perhaps I can help you understand my response better: I was objecting to, and poorly assuming others would object to, actions self-described as "disguising" and "circumventing". Now that you've excised those terms, you are responding to me as if I said some things I did not say.

I did not say that any alternative proposal would have to come through the SC. I thought perhaps there could be discussion about the mods or someone else adding a commendation that would appear on a nations record for contributions to general, but it would be separate and distinct from what you discussed with Max Barry (with the exception of Max alluding to "some kind of Hall of Fame" or words to the effect, which only further indicate that Max might consider some other kind of award or commendation).

Even if the site managers are currently opposed to the idea, future dialogue or innovative arguments could conceivably change their minds, so saying "not going to happen" may possibly be overly categorical. In any case, what you and Max discussed in your exchange is very different from what I was proposing (again, except for the "Hall of Fame" idea, which he proposed and could very much fit what I was suggesting).

Thank you for your concern for how I "feel" and for my "understanding". However, what I took issue with was your original proposal that things be disguised (clearly alluding to deliberate misrepresentation) and rules circumvented (wherein I would have preferred open challenge and reform as alternatives). Thus, your past "feelings" and your current enlightenment really miss the mark of what I was saying, as does your rendering of my supposed misunderingstanding of an adminstrator's position.

While I certainly respect your right to change your OP, you have continued to evaluate (and mischaracterize) my response as if it takes some kind of issue with your now edited proposal. I don't "feel" one way or another about commendations in the SC, I was proposing something entirely different. Similarly, I don't fail to "understand" the admin's decision, as that wasn't what I was taking issue with. I was proposing alternatives, both to the SC and to what I originally saw you propose.

In any case, I was incorrect to have spoken for anyone else. I'll withdraw from the thread, and good luck with whatever happens.

Perhaps you can understand my original response better, I ran a blockade of the Security Council that was used to shut down the Security Council for three months in protest of the ruleset change. It took me a long time to see the wisdom in Max Barry's intentions with the rule, and I still incorrectly think at times that I have to 'circumvent' the rules, when in fact, compliance with them is a beautiful thing.

I understand your suggestion, and I'd like you to bring it up in technical.

But I think there is something independently better about commending a generalite on an egalitarian soapbox, instead of keeping this a strictly generalite accolade for generalites. Because of that, I'm still going to pursue this commendation, but I think it would be good idea to post in technical and articulate your idea.

Ardchoille wrote: But certainly a commendation should include the achievement of the nation's WA delegation in writing a sane resolution on abortion reduction and arguing it without making half the Assembly decide to permanently ignore the other half. ;)

I'm going to begin the resolution with the Reduction of Abortion, then ease into the Generalite career .. that way I can make it seamless and start with the noncontroversial and move to the controversial. Only in the Security Council would abortion be a noncontroversial topic compared to say.. NSG!

Nadkor wrote:TCT, since this is a good thread to get you in, can I ask if you've ever heard of a guy called Gary Edles?

Perhaps a telegram?

Andaluciae
Negotiator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Andaluciae » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:22 am

Posh. I was booted from the United Nations--what the World Assembly was before the IRL UN threatened Max.
FreeAgency wrote:Shellfish eating used to be restricted to dens of sin such as Red Lobster and Long John Silvers, but now days I cannot even take my children to a public restaurant anymore (even the supposedly "family friendly ones") without risking their having to watch some deranged individual flaunting his sin...

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:32 am

I think that if any NSGer should be commended by the WA, TCT is that member. He is a good debater, he can keep his civility in situation where others lose it and his posts are always well informed and concise.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:47 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I think that if any NSGer should be commended by the WA, TCT is that member. He is a good debater, he can keep his civility in situation where others lose it and his posts are always well informed and concise.

Effectively, this. TCT is a wonderful candidate, and has been picked for all the right reasons. Although I would hope that if this takes off, wit and creativity are rewarded equally.
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:49 am

Now included on the page is an unfinished version of the commendation -- it is lacking the majority of TCT's NSG history which I have yet to compile.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:50 am

Helertia wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:I think that if any NSGer should be commended by the WA, TCT is that member. He is a good debater, he can keep his civility in situation where others lose it and his posts are always well informed and concise.

Effectively, this. TCT is a wonderful candidate, and has been picked for all the right reasons. Although I would hope that if this takes off, wit and creativity are rewarded equally.

Creativity and wit are also good qualities to be considered. I was merely making reference to the qualities that, to me, are always present in TCT's posts.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:51 am

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Helertia wrote:

Creativity and wit are also good qualities to be considered. I was merely making reference to the qualities that, to me, are always present in TCT's posts.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't addressing that at you! :p I rather forgot I quoted you. Sorry!
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:19 am

The Black Forrest wrote:
Hammurab wrote:I went to Law School because of Cat-Tribes. He impresses me that much.

You visited a building because of him?

:p

Yes, TCT told Hamm that he dropped a wallet containing some ridiculously huge sum of cash behind a potted plant there. He always falls for that.
Last edited by Muravyets on Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:21 am

The Cat-Tribe wrote:Whether I deserve commendation from anyone for anything is a matter of opinion and ultimately for the proper channels to decide, but (having been asked in advance by Unibot) I thought I break my vacation (which is increasingly being honored more in the breach than in the practice ;) :eyebrow: ) to make clear I do not -- as some suggest -- object to this project by Unibot. I am honored, flattered, and willing to be "used" as a "test case" (to the extent that even applies).
I may not be the right candidate, but the artificial barriers between the WA/SC, II/RP, F7, and NSG are rather silly and this may help break them down. I admit I am not big on II roleplay and my participation in F7 has been scanty. From time to time, however, I have been active in the WA -- including drafting a proposed resolution, creating a thread seeking input and revision, submitting a consequently revised proposal, lobbying to get enough votes to get the resolution to meet Quorum, and finally to get the resolution sucessfully passed. I have at various times actively debated the merits of draft resolutions or resolutions at vote -- although I used to do so more before we moved from Jolt. So, while I consider myself primarily a Generalite, I use at least some of the other forums as well. I know there are other Generalites who are even more active than I in roleplay or WA matters.

I think Unibot's purpose is to break down the artificial wall that insulates RP and WA from NSG and other forums. Whether I am the best candidate for that purpose is a matter of discussion, but (although I confess only a quick surface level knowledge of the applicable rules and will have to go read them) I believe this is more a break from common practice than it is a challenge or circumvention of any rule. Even if it is a challenge to a rule, I trust the judgment of Unibot (until someone gives me evidence otherwise) that the rule ought to be challenged. If anyone has drawn the impression from my oft citation of law that I think law is necessarily always right, they are completely mistaken.

Anyway, Unibot can speak for himself, but I he is looking for input into whether, in addition to whether a Generalite should be recognized by the SC at all, whether any of you have an opinion as to whether I am a good candidate. If so, why? If not, why? Examples are appreciate.

Although I am certain everyone will remain civil and refrain from flaming, I vow to do my utmost to take even the harshest criticism or reasons why I would not be a good candidate in good humor and NOT personally.

I hope further to return to vacation and not post in this thread again. ;) :eyebrow:

I leave it to the the good populace of NSG to say what the will about Unibot's idea.

This being the case, I wholeheartedly endorse the proposal.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:04 pm

Muravyets wrote:
The Cat-Tribe wrote:Whether I deserve commendation from anyone for anything is a matter of opinion and ultimately for the proper channels to decide, but (having been asked in advance by Unibot) I thought I break my vacation (which is increasingly being honored more in the breach than in the practice ;) :eyebrow: ) to make clear I do not -- as some suggest -- object to this project by Unibot. I am honored, flattered, and willing to be "used" as a "test case" (to the extent that even applies).
I may not be the right candidate, but the artificial barriers between the WA/SC, II/RP, F7, and NSG are rather silly and this may help break them down. I admit I am not big on II roleplay and my participation in F7 has been scanty. From time to time, however, I have been active in the WA -- including drafting a proposed resolution, creating a thread seeking input and revision, submitting a consequently revised proposal, lobbying to get enough votes to get the resolution to meet Quorum, and finally to get the resolution sucessfully passed. I have at various times actively debated the merits of draft resolutions or resolutions at vote -- although I used to do so more before we moved from Jolt. So, while I consider myself primarily a Generalite, I use at least some of the other forums as well. I know there are other Generalites who are even more active than I in roleplay or WA matters.

I think Unibot's purpose is to break down the artificial wall that insulates RP and WA from NSG and other forums. Whether I am the best candidate for that purpose is a matter of discussion, but (although I confess only a quick surface level knowledge of the applicable rules and will have to go read them) I believe this is more a break from common practice than it is a challenge or circumvention of any rule. Even if it is a challenge to a rule, I trust the judgment of Unibot (until someone gives me evidence otherwise) that the rule ought to be challenged. If anyone has drawn the impression from my oft citation of law that I think law is necessarily always right, they are completely mistaken.

Anyway, Unibot can speak for himself, but I he is looking for input into whether, in addition to whether a Generalite should be recognized by the SC at all, whether any of you have an opinion as to whether I am a good candidate. If so, why? If not, why? Examples are appreciate.

Although I am certain everyone will remain civil and refrain from flaming, I vow to do my utmost to take even the harshest criticism or reasons why I would not be a good candidate in good humor and NOT personally.

I hope further to return to vacation and not post in this thread again. ;) :eyebrow:

I leave it to the the good populace of NSG to say what the will about Unibot's idea.

This being the case, I wholeheartedly endorse the proposal.

As do I.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 pm

I've added a fairly comprehensive "CELEBRATING" clause to the draft which articulates what makes TCT's conduct so prolific.
Last edited by Unibot on Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hammurab
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Hammurab » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Unibot wrote:Perhaps you can understand my original response better, I ran a blockade of the Security Council that was used to shut down the Security Council for three months in protest of the ruleset change. It took me a long time to see the wisdom in Max Barry's intentions with the rule, and I still incorrectly think at times that I have to 'circumvent' the rules, when in fact, compliance with them is a beautiful thing.

I understand your suggestion, and I'd like you to bring it up in technical.

But I think there is something independently better about commending a generalite on an egalitarian soapbox, instead of keeping this a strictly generalite accolade for generalites. Because of that, I'm still going to pursue this commendation, but I think it would be good idea to post in technical and articulate your idea.

Jesus Christ. Your repsonse here shows that you don't have even the most basic grasp or comprehension of what I was taking issue with, and incredibly, you are still talking at me as if I wasn't responding to your pre-edited post.

Since you likely aren't ever going to get it through your head that I don't need your help understanding the admin's position (whether I agree with it or not), and since you aren't gong to see that I only objected because of the terms that you removed (and that since you removed them, the rest of what you're replying to me is basically addressing something other than what I said), I'm just going to put you on ignore, take my own short break from NSG, and wish you luck.
"You can't be promising forever, George. Sooner or later, you must do something"

-The Libertine.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:08 pm

I'm a little leery about extending the WA's role to non-gameplay things, but I'll go along with this since TCT a Generalite definitely worthy of commendation.

For the resolution, I'd recommend you spell his name "The Cat-Tribe" as opposed to "the Cat-Tribe" as the former is his actual name.

I really don't know how linking to and mentioning non-gameplay things (such as "General" and the poster awards) will fly with the rules, but whatever.

I would suggest adding something along the lines of: "ACKNOWLEDGING The Cat-Tribe's thorough willingness to explain topics to the best of his ability and in the spirit of goodwill to others upon request,"

Also, I'd suggest capitalising "by" after "IMPRESSED."
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

The Rich Port
Post Czar

Founded: Jul 29, 2008

Postby The Rich Port » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:11 pm

I think Cat-Tribes wants us to educate ourselves; to be more open minded to factuality and reason. At the very least, he certainly keeps us updated.
THOSE THAT SOW THORNS SHOULD NOT EXPECT FLOWERS
CONSERVATISM IS FEAR AND STAGNATION AS IDEOLOGY. ONLY MARCH FORWARD.

Pronouns: She/Her
The Alt-Right Playbook
Alt-right/racist terminology
LOVEWHOYOUARE~

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:23 pm

Well... I suppose once you've done this, your next challenge is to get a proper F7'er into the commendation list, what with all the hating. But I'd whole-heartedly support cross-forum interchange. Seems a bit, well, serious to me, but hey...
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:31 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:For the resolution, I'd recommend you spell his name "The Cat-Tribe" as opposed to "the Cat-Tribe" as the former is his actual name.

Updated.

I really don't know how linking to and mentioning non-gameplay things (such as "General" and the poster awards) will fly with the rules, but whatever.

The linking will only be in the forum-version. As for "in General" and "Poster Awards", we will have to see.. nobody really knows for sure, except the mods. I'd think the word, "Poster" would be illegal, if it wasn't the legitimate name of the award ceremony (we're allowed to refer to organizations with 'feeder' in the name, but not feeders). ;)

I would suggest adding something along the lines of: "ACKNOWLEDGING The Cat-Tribe's thorough willingness to explain topics to the best of his ability and in the spirit of goodwill to others upon request,"

Also, I'd suggest capitalising "by" after "IMPRESSED."

Updated.

Sdaeriji
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Sdaeriji » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:49 pm

I think Hammurab would be a better nominee.
Farnhamia wrote:What part of the four-letter word "Rules" are you having trouble with?
Farnhamia wrote:four-letter word "Rules"

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Sdaeriji wrote:I think Hammurab would be a better nominee.

I don't think we're limited to one person, here...
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:18 pm

Hammurab wrote:...take my own short break from NSG, and wish you luck.

Clearly taking a short break is route 1 to getting nominated >:(
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Hassett
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 11, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Hassett » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:07 pm

So does this mean we can condemn generalites too?
Black and Yellow
Economic Left/Right: 8.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82
-Former United States
-Hassett: A History through Flags

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:12 pm

Hassett wrote:So does this mean we can condemn generalites too?

This is partly why I'm not very thrilled about opening this can of worms...

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:39 pm

Hassett wrote:So does this mean we can condemn generalites too?

Probably not.

As previous said by some, we're not limited to one candidate, I think it would be easier to commend TCT first, because of his WA career.. this will set greater precedent for Hammurab and other worthy choices. I would however like to point out that Hammurab appears to prefer an OOC-esque Player's Club over the Security Council, and may object on the grounds of a commendation, however I wouldn't know for sure because he has since put me on his ignore list because he didn't think I was understanding his position.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General