NATION

PASSWORD

The "Get The Cat-Tribe A Commendation Project"

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Ziedrich
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby New Ziedrich » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:35 pm

TCT deserves to be lauded forever for his efforts against the plague of racists that infect our forums from time to time. I respect him greatly for that.

Also, where'd his flag come from?
Last edited by New Ziedrich on Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science makes everything better!
“Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.”
"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

Unibot
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Unibot wrote:Well, he's not being commended for his actions in Moderation. So that discussion is off-topic.

It most certainly is not. His actions in Moderation directly add to how he is as a poster and affect our perception of him.

We're not actually commending him as a poster, we're commending his conduct as a poster. His actions in Moderation were within the legal realm of what any player here is allowed to do. Additionally his conduct in moderation is something we cannot commend or condemn him for -- it's illegal to address mod issues in a resolution..

2. You've made a proposal about something that can and should be dealt with in another forum, probably Moderation: "The WA should condemn Sparky because he flamed me today in my thread about my embassy because I said his guards couldn't carry nuclear-powered pistols" is O-U-T.

.. so focusing a debate on something that is separate to the proposal seems quite of silly, especially when there is a text on the first page which isn't being discussed. The Security Council has decided that moderation issues are not within the scope of the Security Council, thus focusing a Security Council discussion on it is out-of-scope, off-topic.

But ..if you insist..

Buffy, have you ever been in a situation where you think the moderators have made a poor decision? Because I certainly have, and I know that TCT did a helluva lot better job at keeping calm, collected but focused and assertive than I have. His appeals were extensive and well-informed, they don't disturb or contradict the image of TCT as a poster that this resolution is touting. The resolution is not identifying him as a player who does not object to harassment from others, because I do not think we should commend someone for not appealing a decision that they think was wrong. We need to respect the rights thereof for players to represent what problems they have with moderation. Once again: it is common fallacy to assume the problem in an argument is the person who brought up the argument ("the problem-maker") as opposed to what caused the problem. The Cat-Tribe is not the "problem-maker" he is just someone who was fed up with what he thought was a problem -- to withhold this information from an appeal would be to create a new problem (suppression) and let the old problem go unchallenged (if TCT was right). Furthermore, having this problem unchallenged could threaten other players in the way it had tormented TCT.

Ultimately, a resilent community is not a community without problems but a community that permits and tolerates attention to these problems.
Last edited by Unibot on Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barringtonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Barringtonia » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:35 pm

Further, to be honest, I don't think this discussion should be on whether TCT should receive a commendation as opposed to whether commendations of posters in General is something to do, any personal opinion on TCT's candidacy should be left to when such a proposal is actually up for debate..
I hear babies cry, I watch them grow
They'll learn much more than I'll ever know
And I think to myself, what a wonderful world

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Barringtonia wrote:Further, to be honest, I don't think this discussion should be on whether TCT should receive a commendation as opposed to whether commendations of posters in General is something to do, any personal opinion on TCT's candidacy should be left to when such a proposal is actually up for debate..

The proposal is up for debate, it's written, that's how a drafting thread works. I'm drafting here for a bit, then I'll start up an SC drafting thread.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Unibot wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:It most certainly is not. His actions in Moderation directly add to how he is as a poster and affect our perception of him.

We're not actually commending him as a poster, we're commending his conduct as a poster. His actions in Moderation were within the legal realm of what any player here is allowed to do. Additionally his conduct in moderation is something we cannot commend or condemn him for -- it's illegal to address mod issues in a resolution..

2. You've made a proposal about something that can and should be dealt with in another forum, probably Moderation: "The WA should condemn Sparky because he flamed me today in my thread about my embassy because I said his guards couldn't carry nuclear-powered pistols" is O-U-T.

.. so focusing a debate on something that is separate to the proposal seems quite of silly, especially when there is a text on the first page which isn't being discussed. The Security Council has decided that moderation issues are not within the scope of the Security Council, thus focusing a Security Council discussion on it is out-of-scope, off-topic.

But ..if you insist..

Buffy, have you ever been in a situation where you think the moderators have made a poor decision? Because I certainly have, and I know that TCT did a helluva lot better job at keeping calm, collected but focused and assertive than I have. His appeals were extensive and well-informed, they don't disturb or contradict the image of TCT as a poster that this resolution is touting. The resolution is not identifying him as a player who does not object to harassment from others, because I do not think we should commend someone for not appealing a decision that they think was wrong. We need to respect the rights thereof for players to represent what problems they have with moderation. Once again: it is common fallacy to assume the problem in an argument is the person who brought up the argument ("the problem-maker") as opposed to what caused the problem. The Cat-Tribe is not the "problem-maker" he is just someone who was fed up with what he thought was a problem -- to withhold this information from an appeal would be to create a new problem (suppression) and let the old problem go unchallenged (if TCT was right). Furthermore, having this problem unchallenged could threaten other players in the way it had tormented TCT.

Ultimately, a resilent community is not a community without problems but a community that permits and tolerates attention to these problems.

I daresay his posts in moderation add to his "conduct as a poster." Reporting something in Moderation is not against the rules. But nor is debating poorly and with a bad attitude, for example. And I think his conduct in Moderation (e.g. his debates in Moderation with JH, his snarky complaints about the length the second opinion, etc) was not commendable. I think his conduct most of the time as a poster overrides this, but I think it's very relevant to his commendation.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:08 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Unibot wrote:

But ..if you insist..

I daresay his posts in moderation add to his "conduct as a poster." Reporting something in Moderation is not against the rules. But nor is debating poorly and with a bad attitude, for example. And I think his conduct in Moderation (e.g. his debates in Moderation with JH, his snarky complaints about the length the second opinion, etc) was not commendable. I think his conduct most of the time as a poster overrides this, but I think it's very relevant to his commendation.

I think we need to separate the person behind the poster and the poster, I know Moderation is more connected with General, and thus the difference between player/poster can get blurred... but when you're posting in Moderation, it's generally more personal... you're a person, people write things they wouldn't write as a poster in General Discussion or Debate. The Security Council doesn't commend players or people, but we will commend posters via their nation.

Unibot
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unibot » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Any further comments on this project? Particularly on the text?

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Unibot wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:I daresay his posts in moderation add to his "conduct as a poster." Reporting something in Moderation is not against the rules. But nor is debating poorly and with a bad attitude, for example. And I think his conduct in Moderation (e.g. his debates in Moderation with JH, his snarky complaints about the length the second opinion, etc) was not commendable. I think his conduct most of the time as a poster overrides this, but I think it's very relevant to his commendation.

I think we need to separate the person behind the poster and the poster, I know Moderation is more connected with General, and thus the difference between player/poster can get blurred... but when you're posting in Moderation, it's generally more personal... you're a person, people write things they wouldn't write as a poster in General Discussion or Debate. The Security Council doesn't commend players or people, but we will commend posters via their nation.

Fair enough.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General