NATION

PASSWORD

What is a fair punishment for rape?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:00 pm

I think there needs to be discretion in sentencing, based upon all the circumstances.

Statutory rape, consensual, should not be harshly punished, especially when the kids are close in age. In fact, I don't think it should be prosecuted.

Violent assault (rape is a crime of anger and assault, not lust) should get twenty years.

Sometimes there are grey areas in between, such as when both parties are drunk and consent may not be possible.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:40 pm

Science-Oriented Scots wrote:ALL psychology falls back on introspection?

If you're just observing and cataloging behavior without intuiting anything about it, that wouldn't rely on introspection. But the moment you try to bring in what a person is thinking or feeling, you have introduced introspection into the process.

If you seriously believe this, again, I suggest you do some reading on modern psychology. Because a lot of the experiments done recently are a bit more clever than that.

There are a lot of very clever experiments out there to measure a lot of what goes on in neural circuitry. Scientists who study these things in humans do everything they can to remove experimenter bias and that's a good thing. But, when measuring something like thoughts or emotions - which are inherently internal, we simply cannot remove introspection from the process. Somewhere along the line (whether in a current experiment or in the previous data used to build it), we end up relying on it, because it is the only direct measure of the topic under study.

Note that I'm not saying this is a bad thing. It is a limitation of the subject under study, not a flaw in the study design

Meanwhile, all the insinuations that I need to read up on this are cute, given the fact that this actually is a subject I read up on quite a bit. It's not exactly my field, but it is (a) related to my area of research and (b) extraordinarily fascinating.

Meanwhile: I've just realized what thread this is actually in and this is most definitely a thread hijack. :oops: It's a very interesting topic, but I'm not going to continue it here.
Last edited by Dempublicents1 on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

Free Lelouche
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Lelouche » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:43 pm

I still think Exile to the "Island of Sexual Predators" is worth formal review.

Science-Oriented Scots
Diplomat

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Science-Oriented Scots » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Dempublicents1 wrote:Note that I'm not saying this is a bad thing. It is a limitation of the subject under study, not a flaw in the study design.

I really think you're not giving Psychology the credit it's due. It's a science and follows the scientific method. I really don't know what else to say. You can't cherry pick here. In modern psychological experiments, it's apparent that the results are often very specifically stated and qualified, all appropriately. My problem isn't you are unnecessarily applying a harsher level of criticism on the perception of certain scientists.
Last edited by Science-Oriented Scots on Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let's be honest. Bigtopians do say the darndest things.

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:45 pm

I think somewhere between 25-Life sounds about right, depending on certain factors.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Korintar
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 pm

Arilando wrote:What do you think would be the best most and fair just punishment for rape?

Caning (minimum penalty is 15 strikes, maximum is 40 strikes), castration, imprisonment (minimum 20 years, maximum life), or death penalty, depending on the circumstances.
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

Zephie
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Zephie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Korintar wrote:
Arilando wrote:What do you think would be the best most and fair just punishment for rape?

Caning (minimum penalty is 15 strikes, maximum is 40 strikes), castration, imprisonment (minimum 20 years, maximum life), or death penalty, depending on the circumstances.

Would you say the same if it was a woman that raped a man?
When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.
Senestrum wrote:I just can't think of anything to say that wouldn't get me warned on this net-nanny forum.

Dempublicents1
Senator

Founded: Mar 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dempublicents1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:56 pm

Pope Joan wrote:Statutory rape, consensual, should not be harshly punished, especially when the kids are close in age. In fact, I don't think it should be prosecuted.

So it is your opinion that any "consent" given by a child is, in fact, actually informed consent?

Sometimes there are grey areas in between, such as when both parties are drunk and consent may not be possible.

You make it clear here that there are circumstances in which consent is not possible, so would I be correct in coming to the conclusion that you do not think children have a diminished ability to give consent?
"If I poke you with a needle, you feel pain. If I hit you repeatedly in the testicles with a brick, you feel pain. Ergo, the appropriate response to being vaccinated is to testicle-punch your doctor with a brick. It all makes perfect sense now!" -The Norwegian Blue

"In fact, the post was blended with four delicious flavors of sarcasm, then dipped in an insincerity sauce, breaded with mock seriousness, then deep fried in scalding, trans-fat-free-sarcasm oil." - Flameswroth

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:13 pm

Zephie wrote:
Korintar wrote:

Well, I imagine they wouldn't have included castration.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Korintar
Minister

Founded: Nov 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Korintar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:23 pm

Zephie wrote:
Korintar wrote:

Again, it depends on the circumstances- if it was simply that she took advantage of him being intoxicated, with no additional harm beyond the psychological effects on the man who was raped (physical injury includes the male contracting STDs, or the woman becoming pregnant with her victim being the father), and it was a first time offense- 15 strikes and twenty years in prison.
Factbook, Q&A; Nat'l Standards Warning: Agreeing to RP with me assumes an acceptance of Any-Tech Rping and/or the use of dragons in Warfare unless we come to an agreement beforehand.
Jolt Veteran. (-6.00,-.31), (-7.25,1.08) (economic, social)
'So.... a complete disregard for societal norms is.... communist? If that's true, then sign me up.'- Lunatic Goofballs
'If you're taking White Castle hanburgers rectally, you're really doing that wrong. They go in the other end of the alimentary system.'-Farnhamia
'Space Mussolini! Go, go, go!'- TSS @ GWO
Reppy's PG opinion of Jolt
The Gidgetisms: Go no fuck? The Parkus Empire: As in, go, go Gadget no fuck.
Oterro: International incidents->"New Thread"->[Thread title]->[Thread OP]->War->GWO intervention

Free Lelouche
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Lelouche » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:24 pm

Dempublicents1 wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:Statutory rape, consensual, should not be harshly punished, especially when the kids are close in age. In fact, I don't think it should be prosecuted.

So it is your opinion that any "consent" given by a child is, in fact, actually informed consent?

You make it clear here that there are circumstances in which consent is not possible, so would I be correct in coming to the conclusion that you do not think children have a diminished ability to give consent?

Careful, Concordiea loves this conversation, and will in fact argue against the need for informed consent entirely (while insisting they can give a simple consent which is enough)

If we are talking about teenagers here...yeah actually I think they are capable of informed consent, you don't dress like that, unless your advertising baby

It's called jailbait for a reason.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:54 pm

Being raped by the person you raped.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Occupied Deutschland
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Occupied Deutschland » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:03 am

Prison-rape of the accused if found guilty?
Hell, institutionalize the "bitch" system in prison. Murderers, Rapists, and molesters are the drug-runners and carjackers bitches.
(joking...kind've)
Last edited by Occupied Deutschland on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm General Patton.
Even those who are gone are with us as we go on.

Been busy lately--not around much.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:03 am

Nadkor wrote:
Zephie wrote:Would you say the same if it was a woman that raped a man?

Well, I imagine they wouldn't have included castration.

In said case, we simply rip out her ovaries our bare fists. Or bear fists, depending on how your interpret the second amendment.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Sarzonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 22, 2004
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Sarzonia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 am

Castration. Without anaesthesia. Or death penalty.
First WCC Grand Slam Champion
NSWC Hall of Fame Inductee (post-World Cup 25)
Former WLC President. He/him/his.

Our trophy case and other honours; Our hosting history

Belrussia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Belrussia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 am

As a radical individual, i say castration.
Information
Name: Inquisitional Patriarchy of Belrussia
Government Type: Authoritarian
Grand Patriarch: The Patriarch
The Chaplain (Head of Gov't and Military):Agustus Ignatevich
The Commissar (Head of Religious and Judicial Affairs*):Boris Augustinus
Ground Force: 100M(50% Infantry,20%Psyker,20%Tanks,10% Replacements)
Naval Force: 750K(40% Battle Barges, 20% Cruisers, 20% Super Ships, 20% Replacements)
Airforce: 200K(50% Fighter/Bomber Units, 20% Specialized Units, 20% Anti-Air Defense, 10% Replacements)
100M reserves.
Come and join Warhammer 40000 TODAY!!!
I'm a Miniscule Viking Prince who likes to Ride Britney Spears
Economic Left/Right: -4.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:10 am

Sarzonia wrote:Castration. Without anaesthesia. Or death penalty.

That too.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Dypsomaniacs
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dypsomaniacs » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:23 am

I think that rapists should be sent to a prison built in a place like antarctica so that there is next to no chance of escaping. A big wide open facility with no rooms or any shred of privacy. Let the rapists punish each other, repeatedly...
Do Unto Others As They Have Done Unto YOU!
In the pasture of life, don't be a cowpie.
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
Legend: A lie that has attained the dignity of age.
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
Wisdom is not wisdom when it is derived from books alone.

Panzerjaeger
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Panzerjaeger » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:25 am

Rape for a Rape I say! You can call me harsh but you can't say I am not fair. :p
Friendly Neighborhood Fascist™
ФАШИЗМ БЕЗГРАНИЧНЫЙ И КРАСНЫЙ
Caninope wrote:Toyota: Keep moving forward, even when you don't want to!

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:Timothy McVeigh casts... Pyrotechnics!

Greater Americania wrote:lol "No Comrade Ivan! Don't stick your head in there! That's the wood chi...!"

New Kereptica wrote:Fascism: because people are too smart nowadays.

Free Lelouche
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Lelouche » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:29 am

Occupied Deutschland wrote:Prison-rape of the accused if found guilty?
Hell, institutionalize the "bitch" system in prison. Murderers, Rapists, and molesters are the drug-runners and carjackers bitches.
(joking...kind've)

Having a brother who has done time, I can tell you, that Murderers are actually at the top of the list, followed by crimeboss's, Gang leaders and Drug Dealers and even most rapists. Your second teir/first bitches are Car thieves, Drug Runners/Mules, followed by Trannies, drug addicts/Pot users and snitches. and at the very bottom, are former and current corrupt cops, and Child molesters.

And rape is practically guaranteed to happen to the majority of inmates, regardless of their crime.

Free Lelouche
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Lelouche » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:30 am

Dypsomaniacs wrote:I think that rapists should be sent to a prison built in a place like antarctica so that there is next to no chance of escaping. A big wide open facility with no rooms or any shred of privacy. Let the rapists punish each other, repeatedly...

Again, Island
No escape.

ShadokuX
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ShadokuX » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:56 am

Vecherd wrote:
Verax wrote:Count one more vote for the rapist getting raped.

wouldn`t that just end in every single person in the world getting raped?.

I laughed far harder at this than I should have...
Anyway, it's my belief that the primary function of the justice system should be to prevent the recurrence of the crime, and since I don't support the death penalty this would most likely entail a lengthy prison sentence or some other form of deterrent and rehabilitation.
I value the good of society as a whole more than that of any individual, even my own.

Wargtopia
Attaché

Founded: Jul 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wargtopia » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:31 am

For violent (not statutory Rape) I say execution should be an option. Life without parole should be enforced in all other cases.

Some crimes are so evil that there can be no rehabilitation.
What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?

The Norwegian Blue
Minister

Founded: Jul 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Norwegian Blue » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:43 am

Mosasauria wrote:

Being raped by the person you raped.

Fuck no. Why would you put the victim through such a thing?
Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things. - Reichskommissariat ost
...if you poop just to poop, then it is immoral. - Bandarikin
And if abortion was illegal, there wouldn't be male doctors - Green Port
Stop making a potato punch itself in the scrote after first manifesting a fist and a scrote. - RepentNowOrPayLater
And...you aren't aroused by the premise of a snot-hocking giraffe leaping through a third story bay window after a sex toy? What are you...I mean...are you some kind of weirdo or something? - Hammurab

Eireann Fae
Minister

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Eireann Fae » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:47 am

Innsmothe wrote:
Bottle wrote:In a perfect system, execution. But I don't trust my government (or any other government I know of) with the death penalty, so an acceptable alternative would be life in prison with no possibility of parole, mandatory 14 hours of work per day with all wages going directly to organizations which help provide health care and counseling for rape survivors.

That is not civilised either.

If anything a just punishment would push for the repentance and eventual release of a criminal.

This.

Kinda saddens me how vindictive the front page of this thread is. I'm not even sure I want to read the other pages...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General