NATION

PASSWORD

What is a fair punishment for rape?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Quelesh
Minister

Founded: Jun 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Quelesh » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:39 pm

Geniasis wrote:It's actually fairly high on the Ladder of Comedy.

Obscenity is at the bottom.

But obscenity is just sweet.
"I hate mankind, for I think myself one of the best of them, and I know how bad I am." - Samuel Johnson

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Political Compass | Economic Left/Right: -7.75 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -10.00

McGoveyland
Civilian

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby McGoveyland » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:46 pm

REVENGE! give him a little bit of karma if you know what i mean...

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

This is what I consider fair.

The victim must be made whole. That means it is up to the victim to decide what the punishment should be. Within reason. If she asks for the death penalty, then the rapist becomes a victim in a murder. So, a cap of say 20-25 years. It's entirely up to the victim. Alternatively, she may ask for monetary compensation. In a case like this (I'm talking about forcible sex here, not something that is considered rape, but is less gruesome of a crime, like statutory rape in a case of consensual intercourse between an 18 year old guy and 16 year old girl) a reasonable amount would be tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. Payable by the rapist of course.

The taxpayers must be made whole. The rapist is responsible for any costs accrued by the police in the investigation (as well as any hospital costs accrued in examining the victim), the prosecution's costs of bringing the matter to trial, court costs and incarceration costs if the victim chooses jail time.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:14 pm

Prison or a mental hospital.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Free Lelouche
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Lelouche » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
This is what I consider fair.

The victim must be made whole. That means it is up to the victim to decide what the punishment should be. Within reason. If she asks for the death penalty, then the rapist becomes a victim in a murder. So, a cap of say 20-25 years. It's entirely up to the victim. Alternatively, she may ask for monetary compensation. In a case like this (I'm talking about forcible sex here, not something that is considered rape, but is less gruesome of a crime, like statutory rape in a case of consensual intercourse between an 18 year old guy and 16 year old girl) a reasonable amount would be tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. Payable by the rapist of course.

The taxpayers must be made whole. The rapist is responsible for any costs accrued by the police in the investigation (as well as any hospital costs accrued in examining the victim), the prosecution's costs of bringing the matter to trial, court costs and incarceration costs if the victim chooses jail time.

This sounds fair, although I'm not a fan of victims determining sentences (because they can't be objective or unbiased by definition)

Other solutions include, Exile for heinous offenses, to the Island of Sexual Predators, and for the lesser sex crimes, rehab.

Conservative Alliances
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 pm

Sibirsky wrote:This is what I consider fair.

I like this system. It is fair and allows the victim to get justice as they see fit, not the government. The only thing I would change is removing the upper limit on punishment. I have nothing against disproportionate retribution, and I believe that someone committing a crime (especially one this serious) has essentially relinquished any privileges they had before they committed the crime. This is only my ideal system, I am well aware of its vulnerability to abuse. So, for the sake of practicality, I suppose your system would be the best to implement. Certainly, its strong point is its focus on the individual. This is all assuming they have been deemed guilty by fair trial, of course.
Last edited by Conservative Alliances on Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

WWII History Geeks
Minister

Founded: Mar 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby WWII History Geeks » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:56 pm

Depends on how you define rape. If it's 10 year old beaten and bruised might-not-live then execution. But if it's an ohmigawd I can't believe I slept with him while I was drunk so now it's rape kind of thing, then maybe only 3 or 5 years.
The goldfish crackers will win. Do you know why they smile? Because when they get inside you they start eating you from the inside out.

Grandtaria: "I would rather live my life each day thinking there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than to live my thinking that there isn't and die to find out there is."
Conservative Morality: "When in Rome, do as the Romans. When out of Rome, do as the Romans anyway, it's not like anyone is ballsy enough to piss off Rome."

Finally fixed: The thread may be gone, but I'm still a "To Hell with This'er!," damnit! :D

Boob sisters with Celestial Divinities!

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:59 pm

If proven beyond a reasonable doubt 15+ stretch. If extremely violent a castration should be mandatory. If done on a minor then the death penalty would be appropriate.
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Free Lelouche
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Lelouche » Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:59 pm

WWII History Geeks wrote:. But if it's an ohmigawd I can't believe I slept with him while I was drunk so now it's rape kind of thing, then maybe only 3 or 5 years.

I just call that buyer's remorse unless your were purposely drugged for the purpose of sex, not a matter for the courts if you ask me

That's just a life lesson waiting to happen.

Kari-Kazzir
Attaché

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Kari-Kazzir » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Rape?

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:04 pm

Arilando wrote:What do you think would be the best most and fair just punishment for rape?

prison with the length dependant on the circumstances.
whatever

Free Lelouche
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Lelouche » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:05 pm

Zetion wrote: :palm:
Did anyone ever tell you that the bible isnt a handbook for life.

Actually it's right in the name

Basic
Instructions
Before
Leaving
Earth

JJ Place
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JJ Place » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:05 pm

The only fair punishment for rape is life in prison without the possibility of parole. Rape is the greatest crime any individual is cappable of committing, and does far more damage to an individual, as well as to society, than any other single crime any individual or any collection of individuals can commit; anything else would only take society back into a more barbarous time period of history.
The price of cheese is eternal Vignotte.

Motuka
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 03, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Motuka » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:08 pm

JJ Place wrote:The only fair punishment for rape is life in prison without the possibility of parole. Rape is the greatest crime any individual is cappable of committing, and does far more damage to an individual, as well as to society, than any other single crime any individual or any collection of individuals can commit;

I dunno, I've never looked too kindly on the genocidal either.
World Assembly Personnel: Sandor Kaji ~ Julian Kbitaru

Political compass: Approximately -8 Social/+1 Economic (OOC); -6 Social/+9 Economic (IC) ~ Making Maps [suggestions welcome]

Free Lelouche
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Lelouche » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:08 pm

JJ Place wrote:The only fair punishment for rape is life in prison without the possibility of parole. Rape is the greatest crime any individual is cappable of committing, and does far more damage to an individual, as well as to society, than any other single crime any individual or any collection of individuals can commit; anything else would only take society back into a more barbarous time period of history.

That's nonsense, Murder is worse, much much worse.
Rape Victims live, I've known a few, some are damaged goods, others recover just fine, but none of the damage is near as permanent as the ending of life.

The Batorys
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Batorys » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:11 pm

Free Lelouche wrote:
JJ Place wrote:The only fair punishment for rape is life in prison without the possibility of parole. Rape is the greatest crime any individual is cappable of committing, and does far more damage to an individual, as well as to society, than any other single crime any individual or any collection of individuals can commit; anything else would only take society back into a more barbarous time period of history.

Rape Victims live, I've known a few, some are damaged goods, others recover just fine, but none of the damage is near as permanent as the ending of life.

People aren't "goods."
Mallorea and Riva should resign
This is an alternate history version of Callisdrun.
Here is the (incomplete) Factbook
Ask me about The Forgotten Lands!
Pro: Feminism, environmentalism, BLM, LGBTQUILTBAG, BDSM, unions, hyphy, Lenin, Ho Chi Minh, Oakland, old San Francisco, the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and fully automated gay luxury space communism
Anti: Misogyny, fossil fuels, racism, homophobia, kink-shaming, capitalism, LA, Silicon Valley, techies, Brezhnev, the Galactic Empire, and the "alt-right"

Jarvisleidia
Civilian

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

//

Postby Jarvisleidia » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Honestly prison is not going to fix or help these people there's psychology behind why they would do something like that. Rehabilitation center should definately be involved so that they never do this again.

JJ Place
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby JJ Place » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Motuka wrote:
JJ Place wrote:The only fair punishment for rape is life in prison without the possibility of parole. Rape is the greatest crime any individual is cappable of committing, and does far more damage to an individual, as well as to society, than any other single crime any individual or any collection of individuals can commit;

I dunno, I've never looked too kindly on the genocidal either.

Note I said single action, single crime; genocide is far more than one single action , and one single crime.
The price of cheese is eternal Vignotte.

Free Lelouche
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Lelouche » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:14 pm

The Batorys wrote:
Free Lelouche wrote:

People aren't "goods."

You know damm well it's a common phrase, and damm well what it means
don't be obtuse

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:15 pm

JJ Place wrote:Note I said single action, single crime; genocide is far more than one single action , and one single crime.

This doesn't sound reasonable. I'm not saying rape isn't a horrible crime, but we have to be objective here, and in all seriousness, there are a number of things I would prefer rape over. For instance: I would rather be raped than killed, I would rather be raped than tortured for a long duration, I would rather be raped than have someone intentionally injure me so as to paralyse me for life or otherwise stop me from doing something I find essential to happiness (e.g. cutting off my hands, stabbing me in the eyes etc..)

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm

Hydesland wrote:
JJ Place wrote:Note I said single action, single crime; genocide is far more than one single action , and one single crime.

This doesn't sound reasonable. I'm not saying rape isn't a horrible crime, but we have to be objective here, and in all seriousness, there are a number of things I would prefer rape over. For instance: I would rather be raped than killed, I would rather be raped than tortured for a long duration, I would rather be raped than have someone intentionally injure me so as to paralyse me for life or otherwise stop me from doing something I find essential to happiness (e.g. cutting off my hands, stabbing me in the eyes etc..)

I can't believe that in a JJ Place vs. Hydesland debate, I am siding with Hydesland. No offense Hydesland.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Conservative Alliances
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Conservative Alliances » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:43 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Hydesland wrote:

I can't believe that in a JJ Place vs. Hydesland debate, I am siding with Hydesland. No offense Hydesland.

I think it depends completely on the person. I imagine that some people would be able to move past being raped and go on with their lives. Others, would be tortured for the rest of their lives and driven to suicide. I imagine some would prefer death to mental torture and anguish. I don't think is as much a question of which crime is worse overall, but which crime is worse for the individual in question. That said, I would probably prefer rape to death. I can't say for sure though.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
I am the Ghost of Sparta
Member of the Ebul NSG Right-Wing Establishment
Economic Left/Right: 9.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.92
Spectrum
Foriegn Affairs
Cultural
Political Spectrum Quiz
Essentially a mix of the American Dream and 1950s culture with futuristic technology.
Rhodmhire wrote:I love you.
Liuzzo wrote:Conversely Conservative Alliances, Vetalia, and others make terrific arguments that people may not agree with but you can discuss.
Glorious Homeland wrote:Although some individuals provided counter-points which tended to put to bed a few of my previous statements (conservative alliances, zoingo)

The Congregationists
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Congregationists » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:47 pm

Penal servitude for 10-15 years - minimum 12 hours a day on a fast assembly line. All wages not required for sustenance garnished and given to the victim. Following release, indentured servitude with a 35% gross wage garnish, again going to the victim, for life. Re-offence following release then penal servitude is for life. If and when the victim passes away, garnish goes to the victim's family or next of kin.

Punishment and rehabilitation don't work. Justice needs to start being about restitution.
•Criticism of sentimental love, marriage, sex, religion, and rituals.
•Valuing reason over emotion and imagination
•Ironic, indirect, and impersonal (objective) representation of ideas.
•Uncompromising criticism of romantic illusions.
•Advocacy of pragmatism and disapproval of idealism and ideology.
•Especially vehement opposition to neo-liberalism, social democracy, communism, libertarianism and feminism.
•Satirisation of irrational and whimsical attitudes of the so-called creative class.
•Criticism of social, political, cultural, and moral customs and manners of the contemporary society.

Jostedule
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jostedule » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:57 pm

Rape is one of the most discusting crimes in history. The death penalty is a fine solution.

Aldvek
Bureaucrat

Founded: Mar 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aldvek » Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:59 pm

For First-Time Offenders:
A 5-10 year prison sentence including mandatory rehabilitation during incarceration.
Then, a set of restrictions will be placed to ensure there is minimal risk of repeat offense
(i.e. The felon is unable to participate in youth-focused programs or events and may not
associate with minors without the victim's written consent or--if the victim is a minor--the
written consent of the victim's parent/guardian).

For Repeat/Serial Offenders:
A minimum sentence of 25 years in prison with a maximum sentence of death by lethal
injection, which is to be decided by the victim. There will be no chance of parole for the
defendant. The sentence is to be decided by the acting judge in the event that the plaintiff
decides to drop the case.
Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.13

INFP
Introvert/Extrovert: 22%
Sensing/iNtuitive: 100%
Thinking/Feeling: 75%
Perceiving/Judging: 67%

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General