NATION

PASSWORD

Wikileaks Mega Thread!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Set the Unbound
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Set the Unbound » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:17 pm

The Corparation wrote:
Set the Unbound wrote:
You need to delve deeper. The leaks hitting the front pages are about the USA, but there is SO MUCH stuff leaked by Wikileaks- everything from Azerbaijan's War on Beards to corruption in various Carribean governments.

I thought Julian was a tosser at first, but the more Wikileaks material I read the more I forgive him.

Secrecy has its place, but it's obvious from many of the leaked documents that secrecy is most often just a tool for the powerful to use to conceal their crimes...

Yes but how many of the crimes that have been exposed by wikileaks weren't already known to those who pay attention?

Suspected by those who pay attention, in many cases.

The Dyncorp / Afghan National Police pedophile-sex-party scandal was rumoured way back in July 2009 (and subject to furious denials by the Afghan Interior Minister); but it was not until I read the US diplomatic cables about it that I could believe it really happened.

That stuff is just whacked, and could lose us the war.

I'm sure most of the world's intelligence agencies already knew about it, and of course the local Afghans did, but Wikileaks brought it to the attention of the Western public in a way that noone else could.
"If two men agree on everything, you may be sure one of them is doing the thinking"
- Lyndon B. Johnson

"Homosexuality is observed in over a thousand species of animals. Homophobia is observed in only one."
- "Marmalade Skies and Tangerine Trees"

Sciox
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciox » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:08 am

In a lot of the political thrillers I like to read (in paticular the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn) a situation that crops up for American intelligence agencies is that the US's allies are reluctant to share information with them becuase it is eventually leaked to the public and this leads to the loss of the source.

Now this article I read describes a slightly different situation but still illustrates the reason I dislike wikileaks, if the US cannot guarantee information security their allies will stop sharing information and will lead to breakdowns in international relations.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htintel/articles/20101216.aspx
Travda wrote:We had a recent incident where our WA Representative pulled out a shotgun in the Assembly's chamber. Foreign Minister Karakov was...unprepared for meeting Artorrios o SouthWoods, the Chairbear of the Bears Armed Mission to the WA . Karakov, seeing the ursine delegate for the first time, mistook him for an actual bear. So he did what any person would do when confronted with a bear in the middle of an international meeting; he tried to shoot him.

Lucky for all of us, Karakov is a lousy shot.

North Defese wrote:The soldier, being a patriot, would spontaniously explode from being touched by filthy foreigners.

Vist Scion Defense. For all your weapons needs

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:13 am

Set the Unbound wrote:That stuff is just whacked, and could lose us the war.

Wait, you mean it was winnable at some point?

Vonners
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:17 am

Sciox wrote:In a lot of the political thrillers I like to read (in paticular the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn) a situation that crops up for American intelligence agencies is that the US's allies are reluctant to share information with them becuase it is eventually leaked to the public and this leads to the loss of the source.

Now this article I read describes a slightly different situation but still illustrates the reason I dislike wikileaks, if the US cannot guarantee information security their allies will stop sharing information and will lead to breakdowns in international relations.

what about the newspapers? Do you dislike the newspapers?
Beer - the other white meat

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:20 am

Vonners wrote:
Sciox wrote:In a lot of the political thrillers I like to read (in paticular the Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn) a situation that crops up for American intelligence agencies is that the US's allies are reluctant to share information with them becuase it is eventually leaked to the public and this leads to the loss of the source.

Newspapers are the bastion of Teh Liberal Noise Machine, of course I hate them.

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:57 am

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:
Vonners wrote:

Newspapers are the bastion of Teh Liberal Noise Machine, of course I hate them.

Damn straight!

Sciox
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciox » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:49 am

Vonners wrote:

There are a few I dislike but that's mainly because they feature to many celebrity peices and not enough real news.
Travda wrote:We had a recent incident where our WA Representative pulled out a shotgun in the Assembly's chamber. Foreign Minister Karakov was...unprepared for meeting Artorrios o SouthWoods, the Chairbear of the Bears Armed Mission to the WA . Karakov, seeing the ursine delegate for the first time, mistook him for an actual bear. So he did what any person would do when confronted with a bear in the middle of an international meeting; he tried to shoot him.

Lucky for all of us, Karakov is a lousy shot.

North Defese wrote:The soldier, being a patriot, would spontaniously explode from being touched by filthy foreigners.

Vist Scion Defense. For all your weapons needs

Jesus Strippers
Envoy

Founded: Dec 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jesus Strippers » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:56 am

KonataLand wrote:I love the arguments.

If the US has secrecy, we're like China or NK.

So, if we go completely and totally open, and, additionally, disband the military (If we post our plans to the US Twitter accounts, there's no point in a military :P), we'll be good?

Sounds brilliant!

FUND IT!

This argument is completely moronic. That Jullian bastard should be hanged. Why the hell would anyone post their MILITARY SECRETS on the freaking Internet. That makes about as much sense as (quoting yesterday's issue) "the death penalty for attempted suicide."
"The purpose of the journey is its goal, the purpose of an Xcursion is the process."
Economic Left/Right: 7.85
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.66

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:39 am

Jesus Strippers wrote:

So, if we go completely and totally open, and, additionally, disband the military (If we post our plans to the US Twitter accounts, there's no point in a military :P), we'll be good?

Sounds brilliant!

FUND IT!

This argument is completely moronic. That Jullian bastard should be hanged. Why the hell would anyone post their MILITARY SECRETS on the freaking Internet.

What secrets did wikileaks reveal that were not already readily available on the internet then ;) ?
Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease.
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:48 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Jesus Strippers wrote:This argument is completely moronic. That Jullian bastard should be hanged. Why the hell would anyone post their MILITARY SECRETS on the freaking Internet.

What secrets did wikileaks reveal that were not already readily available on the internet then ;) ?

Ooh! I know! I know!

The classified sutff wasn't on the internet in the first place. *eyeroll*
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Country of glowing hearts, and patrons of the arts
Help me out
Star spangled madness, united sadness
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Don't shine for swine. - Metric, Soft Rock Star
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Why (Male) Rape Is Hilarious [because it has to be]

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:56 am

Camicon wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Ooh! I know! I know!

Buzzzz.
Wrong :P
It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:59 am

The Alma Mater wrote:
Camicon wrote:Ooh! I know! I know!

Buzzzz.

Hmm? Find me a legitimate source that says the US government put classified military documents on the internet, please and thank you.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun
No human is more human than any other. - Lieutenant-General Roméo Antonius Dallaire
Love is hell. Hell is love. Hell is asking to be loved. - Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton, Detective Daughter

Vonners
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Vonners » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:00 am

Sciox wrote:
Vonners wrote:

There are a few I dislike but that's mainly because they feature to many celebrity peices and not enough real news.

well if you dislike wikileaks then you gotta dislike the papers that printed the cables as well right?

Zetion
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zetion » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:18 am

Camicon wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:

Ooh! I know! I know!

If the classified stuff was important I would care.
But now "classified" means covering up for your fuck-ups and war crimes.
“God has no religion”
~ Mahatma Gandhi~

"Patriotism is often an arbitrary veneration of real estate above principles." ~George Jean Nathan~

The Alma Mater
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby The Alma Mater » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:36 am

Camicon wrote:
The Alma Mater wrote:
Buzzzz.

Hmm? Find me a legitimate source that says the US government put classified military documents on the internet, please and thank you.

The actual documents ? No.
The contents ? Hell yes. Almost everything wikileaks published was already well known and easily looked up if one was interested. All wikileaks added were a few details, names and personal opinions of diplomats. Why the media has decided to call this NEWS and shove it down the throats of people who in the past 10 years did not even care enough to spend 5 minutes googling things is beyond me.

Still, perhaps there will be more interesting stuff found in the not-yet-read-masses.
Last edited by The Alma Mater on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Camicon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Camicon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:12 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Camicon wrote:Hmm? Find me a legitimate source that says the US government put classified military documents on the internet, please and thank you.

The actual documents ? No.
The contents ? Hell yes. Almost everything wikileaks published was already well known and easily looked up if one was interested. All wikileaks added were a few details, names and personal opinions of diplomats. Why the media has decided to call this NEWS and shove it down the throats of people who in the past 10 years did not even care enough to spend 5 minutes googling things is beyond me.

Still, perhaps there will be more interesting stuff found in the not-yet-read-masses.

So it should've been a "Buzzzz Right!" :p
The stuff they've already published, much of it was not found on the internet prior to it's release. For example, all the diplomatic cables.
Hey/They
Active since May, 2009
Help me out
Count me out
The Trews, Under The Sun

Bohemiques
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bohemiques » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:43 pm

Media don't really lean right or left. Media lean towards profit.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:48 pm

The Alma Mater wrote:
Jesus Strippers wrote:This argument is completely moronic. That Jullian bastard should be hanged. Why the hell would anyone post their MILITARY SECRETS on the freaking Internet.

Almost nothing new was revealed, to those that payed attention. It just proved there suspicions and brought it to the attention of the everyday uninformed person.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:53 pm

Jesus Strippers wrote:

Sounds brilliant!

FUND IT!

This argument is completely moronic. That Jullian bastard should be hanged. Why the hell would anyone post their MILITARY SECRETS on the freaking Internet. That makes about as much sense as (quoting yesterday's issue) "the death penalty for attempted suicide."

I agree, legitimately classified military secrets should remain such. When you abuse that system of classification, however, you destroy that trust. At the moment, we cannot trust the American government to be able to determine what is and isn't worth classifying.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Zeyad
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeyad » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Jesus Strippers wrote:This argument is completely moronic. That Jullian bastard should be hanged. Why the hell would anyone post their MILITARY SECRETS on the freaking Internet. That makes about as much sense as (quoting yesterday's issue) "the death penalty for attempted suicide."

I agree, legitimately classified military secrets should remain such. When you abuse that system of classification, however, you destroy that trust. At the moment, we cannot trust the American government to be able to determine what is and isn't worth classifying.

So we punish the government? That'll work wonders won't it?
KonataLand wrote:
Tergnitz wrote:OMG! The new Rebecca black song is almost as good as the death of Osama!

Seven in mornin', gotta get outta bed.
OSHITITSAMERICA *Shot in the head*

Tubbsalot wrote:
Folder Land wrote:In my opinion

And therein lies the problem, because your opinion is wrong.

Cannot think of a name wrote:You ever see a guy walking down the street, just swingin' his arms and yelling and you think, 'Man, is that guy getting swarmed by flies?' but you get up close to him and he's not. And you want to help out and go, 'Hey man, flies are pretty annoying and all, but...I don't see any flies,' but you know you're just as likely to take an elbow to your eyebone so you just keep walking?

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Zeyad wrote:So we punish the government? That'll work wonders won't it?

Did I say that?

No, I don't believe I did.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Funk4ever
Envoy

Founded: Aug 13, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Funk4ever » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:34 pm

Zetion wrote:
Camicon wrote:Ooh! I know! I know!

If the classified stuff was important I would care.

What war crimes and how would they not be important?
Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: 5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.21

Moral Compass: New Progressive
Societal: 36
Personal: -24

"Capitalism is extremely simple, brutal, and it works. Communism is very complicated, completely humane and doesn't work at all."

"An American mainstream no longer exists."

Octanus IV
Attaché

Founded: Nov 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Octanus IV » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:00 pm

asd
BEWARE OF DOG
Hath's good twin.
F7's Official Mood Adjuster.
F7's Official Xanax.

War is prejudice.

Just About Anything wrote:
Stattr wrote:yes you do...okay so lets see if you know how to use this this gun.
1. what is it for
2. how would you use it
3. is it a good weapon or bad
4. can you make it into something else with ease?

It's a gun. You'd probably use it by pushing this button. *Pushes button and it falls apart* Whoops. I assume it's a bad weapon, because it falls apart when you try and do anything. *Puts all peices into a straight line* And it's now a line. Did I do well?

Scientific socks
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Scientific socks » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:38 am

Funk4ever wrote:
Zetion wrote:If the classified stuff was important I would care.

What war crimes and how would they not be important?

I have not heard of any troop locations being revealed. But even if that was the case the Wikileaks founder was not the one who put it up. He may have been negligent to delete something but he is not the leaker. He is just the publisher. Oh also he is not American so he never really betrayed the American troops. The closest you could push this is he is betraying the troops of allies as he is technically an Australian citizen.

He is a supporter of espionage which I am sure is punishible in that context but he is not the one who is doing the initial espionage.

Still why we should believe what is up there is beyond me. Most of it is believed because it sounds so plausable by what we already know. If the foreign countries are reliant upon this information for whatever (unknown) reasons I would seriously question their judgement. A smart general may be able to use this to his advantage by putting up false leaks and setting up traps.

What life has been put at risk by this is also unknown by me. If anyone is responsible for putting American lives at risk (or others as every democracy has been targeted) prehaps we should be blaming thoes who authorised guantanamo and thoes who organised sex parties with children. This certainly is going to have an impact on winning over the foreign citizens.

But nah lets blame the publisher whos crime was setting up a web site and not its content when any inteligent military commander could use this to his advantage if terrorist are silly enough to believe information that can not be proven other than by the reactions of thoes who have been acussed.
One persons freedom is always at the expense of another. There are these dam laws in this country of mine preventing me from saying "hi" to my neighbour with a baseball bat. All I want to do is have my freedom of expression so he looses his freedom of movement.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General