NATION

PASSWORD

Can atheists go to Heaven?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gagatron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Geniasis wrote:
Chances are, the tree would grant them eternal life from continued eating rather than from a single fruit.

But we're talking about a fruit that gives you immortality, so I don't really have strong grounds to call shenanigans.

The fruit of Knowledge gives the godlike knowledge from just one taste, which rather suggests that the Tree of Life has similar properties. As the scripture says, mankind only had to reach out his hand, take the fruit and eat - that's a fait accompli. It doesn't say that immortality requires you to continue eating.

But, as you say, if eating the fruit provides immortality - even if you did have to keep eating it - then the 'surely die' situation seems shaky.

I keep telling you.
It doesn't matter if they could have eaten of the Tree of Life.
God KNEW they wouldn't, therefore he SURE.
Thus, SUREly.
God, I want to dream again,
Take me where I've never been.
I wanna go there,
This time I'm not scared.
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

All sin is deserving of death.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Tyr-risuur wrote:
Gagatron wrote:

God is just, but he is also forgiving.
He's pretty much, I think, willing to forgive anyone of anything.
That said, if you don't ever request forgiveness from him, the just thing to do is to punish evil.
IMHO.

You can't choose your beliefs. I can believe in the Christian god as much as I can believe I am an invisible pink unicorn. Grace? Faith? Saved by grace and faith? I cannot believe in God. I cannot believe in Jesus. I cannot be saved. Some are arbitrarily saved by "grace" of gullibility and/or chance. Some are arbitrarily damned by "grace" of intellect and/or chance. How in all this is God just?

You can't choose your beliefs?

Well maybe not you, because you are sheep, but I forge my own destiny
For Example, last year this time, I chose to a be a Libertarian
This year, I'm an Anarchist
And next Year I might take the next step and become a revolutionary
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
And I'd hand them an insurgency.
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Gagatron
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Gagatron » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:17 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Gagatron wrote:
It was a lie.
God knew that Adam and Eve would die.
God means what he says.
And they did die. So it was surely.

yeah

so

as i said. misleading from day one (or day 9 maybe).

god told them a half truth that they would need far more understanding of life and death and theology than they could possibly have as people who had only lived a few days without the knowledge of good and evil.

Where's the half truth?
He told them they'd die.
They died.
It's simple stuff.
God, I want to dream again,
Take me where I've never been.
I wanna go there,
This time I'm not scared.
Music, love, peace, joy, history, religion, foreign cultures, foreign language, philosophy, debating, etc.

Zilam wrote:It always strikes me funny when people always complain "If God is good, why does he allow evil to exist"....Yet when God destroys every evil person in a flood, its a bad thing.

All sin is deserving of death.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Gagatron wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:yeah

so

god told them a half truth that they would need far more understanding of life and death and theology than they could possibly have as people who had only lived a few days without the knowledge of good and evil.

Where's the half truth?
He told them they'd die.
They died.
It's simple stuff.

It's a technical truth, yes. Still, it was misleading.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:29 pm

Gagatron wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:yeah

so

Where's the half truth?
He told them they'd die.
They died.
It's simple stuff.

you can deny it all you want but he said on that day they would die and THEY DIDNT DIE ON THAT DAY.

so....sure you can in hindsight say "oh gee he must have meant something else" but that doesnt mean that an innocent like eve wouldnt take him at his flat out word. that makes it a half truth at best.
whatever

The Un-believers
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Un-believers » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:30 pm

Austin Setzer wrote:
Life is a test. And those who fail it go to hell
the only way to success is to believe Jesus christ. accept him into your heart and thou shall not burn

If your God is omniscient, then why does he need to test us? He already knows who will fail and pass this "test".
Last edited by The Un-believers on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:31 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Gagatron wrote:
Where's the half truth?
He told them they'd die.
They died.
It's simple stuff.

you can deny it all you want but he said on that day they would die and THEY DIDNT DIE ON THAT DAY.

so....sure you can in hindsight say "oh gee he must have meant something else" but that doesnt mean that an innocent like eve wouldnt take him at his flat out word. that makes it a half truth at best.

FYI, god didn't say anything to eve regarding that we have record of.

Adam did.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:31 pm

The Un-believers wrote:
Austin Setzer wrote:
Life is a test. And those who fail it go to hell
the only way to success is to believe Jesus christ. accept him into your heart and thou shall not burn

If your God is omniscient, then why does he need to test us? He already knows who will fail and pass this "test".

"God moves in mysterious ways"

or another workable theory

The test is not for him, but for us, it is so we may know if we are worthy.
Victorious Decepticons wrote:If they said "this is what you enjoy so do this" and handed me a stack of my favorite video games, then it'd be far different. But governments don't work that way. They'd hand me a dishrag...
Trotskylvania wrote:Don't kid yourself. The state is a violent, destructive institution of class dictatorship. The fact that the proles have bargained themselves the drippings from their master's plates doesn't legitimize the state.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:36 pm

Galloism wrote:FYI, god didn't say anything to eve regarding that we have record of.

Adam did.

How useless was he? Seriously, the Serpent is doing his whole spiel to Eve and Adam does nothing even though he's standing right there.

Girl, throw his deadbeat ass out.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:36 pm

According to the Catholic Church, yes. Anyone who lives a moral (not a sinless, but a moral) life can.

How should I know?
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Galloism wrote:FYI, god didn't say anything to eve regarding that we have record of.

Adam did.

How useless was he? Seriously, the Serpent is doing his whole spiel to Eve and Adam does nothing even though he's standing right there.

*Women is deceived*
*Man does nothing*
*Man is somehow to blame*

Typical Female Logic

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Galloism wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:you can deny it all you want but he said on that day they would die and THEY DIDNT DIE ON THAT DAY.

FYI, god didn't say anything to eve regarding that we have record of.

Adam did.

ahh yes i see my mistake

but eve showed that she did understand the prohibition.
whatever

Teh Fluffles
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Teh Fluffles » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:39 pm

You do not need to believe in God in order to be close to him. Closeness does not come from simply believing or claiming to believe, but from within. An atheist who follows a path of sacrifice, kindness, purity, and an open-mind is more likely to go to heaven than a Christian who is materialistic and non-charitable, shuns all non-believers, and claims openly to believe in God, yet only truly does so because of a fear in the back of the concious of ending up in Hell.
Last edited by Teh Fluffles on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Geniasis wrote:

Adam did.

It is worth noting that while it says Eve was deceived, that expression is never used about Adam.

It follows then that Adam chose to disobey, in full knowledge.

He then tried to blame his wife.

Who really is the worse one here?
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:40 pm

Are atheists banned from Spearmint rhino?
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

The Un-believers
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Un-believers » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Austin Setzer wrote:that is ignorance...a thing that leads to suffering...

So, according to your holy book, anyone who doesn't accept Jesus into their heart, even the people who have never heard of Jesus or Yahweh, will burn in hell......Wow, Yahweh is a dick. I don't want to be in his ass-kissing Heaven.
Assuming Heaven exists

Austin Setzer
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 27, 2010

Postby Austin Setzer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:42 pm

because he wants you to study and pass this test
Nation info:
Population: 6 bil +
Primary departments: Freedom department (they ensure freedom for all), education, military, Loyalty (they maintain our national pride!), Administrative, and The Economic Council.

Teh Fluffles
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Teh Fluffles » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Metaphorical. Eve was man's earthly, instinctual nature, and Adam willingly succumbed himself to it.
This is to say that man was tempted by the earth and realised it, succumbed to it, and thus sin was born.
Last edited by Teh Fluffles on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyr-risuur
Envoy

Founded: Jan 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Tyr-risuur » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Gagatron wrote:
Tyr-risuur wrote:
You can't choose your beliefs. I can believe in the Christian god as much as I can believe I am an invisible pink unicorn. Grace? Faith? Saved by grace and faith? I cannot believe in God. I cannot believe in Jesus. I cannot be saved. Some are arbitrarily saved by "grace" of gullibility and/or chance. Some are arbitrarily damned by "grace" of intellect and/or chance. How in all this is God just?

I can choose my beliefs. I've changed them several times, because I believe something for a time before my mind rules it out for some reason and then leads me to believe in somethings else.
I used to be athiest, and thought I never could believe in a God like Jehova, but all I did was try to understand him more, and I changed my mind. You can choose your beliefs, and I have chosen.

Can you choose to honestly believe that God doesn't exist than choose to believe he does at a moments notice? Sure beliefs change over time as we get older and attain new information - correct or otherwise - but I'm talking about conciously changing your own beliefs. I can't conciously choose to believe I'm an invisible pink unicorn because everything points towards me not being one so why would I believe I am?

*edit: If I attained new info that pointed towards me being an invisible pink unicorn that appeared true enough for me to believe it, it would be impossible for me to believe otherwise.
Last edited by Tyr-risuur on Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left: -7.62Social Libertarian: -5.74

Moral Order: -1.5Moral Rules: 6.5

Foreign Policy: -0.86Culture: -6.11
"It's noisy outside what with the birds - and the bees - and their incessent humping!" - Me at 06:00 AM
"Christianity was invented to successfully twist all the logical falacies in the world2000 years ago with even more falacies." - Me (modded by Dyakovo then DaWoad & lastly Self--Esteem)
"They've added more since I might add."
Embassies (Tyr-risuur in X nation):
Drakes City, Persepi - The Grand Duchy of Khytenna
9 Equestria St, Embassy compound - The Glorious and United Kingdom of The Floor Kippers

Embassies (X nation in Tyr-risuur):
None

Contact me.

The Un-believers
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby The Un-believers » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:44 pm

GeneralHaNor wrote:
The Un-believers wrote:If your God is omniscient, then why does he need to test us? He already knows who will fail and pass this "test".

But my point is that he already knows who is worthy or not. Being that he is said to be omniscient. And I never said the test was for him.

St George of England
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby St George of England » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:45 pm

The Un-believers wrote:

So, according to your holy book, anyone who doesn't accept Jesus into their heart, even the people who have never heard of Jesus or Yahweh, will burn in hell......Wow, Yahweh is a dick. I don't want to be in his ass-kissing Heaven.
Assuming Heaven exists

Depends on the translation/version/testament. OT god, the omnipotent, war-like god, was all very "And the blahblah-inites came upon the lands of Israel and God delivered them upon the Jews" Whereas NT God is a wuss, basically.

And there's my woefully inaccurate, half-drunken ramblings on the Bible.
The Angline-Guanxine Empire
Current Monarch: His Heavenly Guanxine The Ky Morris
Population: As NS Page
Current RP: Closure of the Paulianus Passage
The United Coven of the Otherworlds
Current Leader: Covenwoman Paige Thomas
Population: 312,000,000
Military Size: 4,000,000
New to NS? TG me if you have questions.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:46 pm

The Un-believers wrote:

Assuming Heaven exists

I'm sure you can back that up with scripture.

Sure, a lot of churches teach it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's in the bible.

GeneralHaNor
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby GeneralHaNor » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:48 pm

The Un-believers wrote:
GeneralHaNor wrote:

But my point is that he already knows who is worthy or not. Being that he is said to be omniscient. And I never said the test was for him.

If we hold this above statement to be true, then the test is purely for your knowledge, and not his.
He's grading you.

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:49 pm

Dunroaming wrote:You make my point precisely, General. Heaven is hypothetical.

As is most of science and atheistic theories.
Under New Management since 8/9/12

Austin Setzer
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 27, 2010

Postby Austin Setzer » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:49 pm

uh i THINK i might have found something important to this arguement
From the book : freemasonry and its ancient mystic rites. "Shri Krishna, speaking as the supreme in the bhagava Gita says 'Even those who worship other gods with devotion, full of faith- they also worship me"
Nation info:
Population: 6 bil +
Primary departments: Freedom department (they ensure freedom for all), education, military, Loyalty (they maintain our national pride!), Administrative, and The Economic Council.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General