NATION

PASSWORD

Religious schools

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Surote
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Religious schools

Postby Surote » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:08 pm

Jordaxia wrote:I disagree with religious schools. An insular upbringing is harmful to the child and prevents them developing a rounded, nuanced view of the world and importantly, it's other inhabitants.

That's right

Altergo
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Altergo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:10 pm

I used to go to a Christian school, and the education was pretty good, but anyone who went to there Church got benefits that were totally unfair

Krypton-Zod
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Krypton-Zod » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:13 pm

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Surote wrote:Do you think it's good to send your kid to a religous schools and would you do it?

I think to many people brainwash there kids and I would never do that to my child.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6865just in case you want to see

"Brainwashing?" Is that what non-religious folks have taken to calling people of faith? Come on.

If responsible, normal, religious individuals want to send their child to a school that happens to teach their religious view point in a responsible, non-radicalized, otherwise normal school environment, then yes.

What's the problem? They're not harming you in any way.

Teaching kids to believe in things that do not exist is child abuse. This 'god' does not exist and the one described in the 'bible' is quite the mass murderer and psychopath.

This whole bogus idea that 'religions' are special is what needs culling first.
I am general Zod, your ruler. Yes, today begins a new order.
Your lands, your possessions, your very lives will gladly be given in tribute to me, general Zod.
In return for your obedience, you will enjoy my generous protection.
In other words, you will be allowed to live.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Religion must be true, because 'it says so in a book'... ROTFLMAO!

Nydelin
Attaché

Founded: Jul 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nydelin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:14 pm

I'm a fairly rabid atheist. I'll just leave it at that, before delving into my specialty (which is being offensive to religious nuts).

Anti-Social Darwinism
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Social Darwinism » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Surote wrote:Do you think it's good to send your kid to a religous schools and would you do it?

I think to many people brainwash there kids and I would never do that to my child.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6865just in case you want to see

Even if I were Catholic, the nearest Catholic school is probably the foulest nest of drugs and debauchery in the area. No, that's not enough to sell me on it. :p

Little Goofball starts 2nd grade this September and I intend to continue supplementing his and my younger children's educations myself despite the outrageous suggestion by his 1st grade teacher last hear that I not so my son doesn't get too far ahead. Can you believe that shit?!? >:(

Not only do I believe it, I experienced it. Several decades ago, my father had the effrontery to teach me to read before I was three and then to provide interesting books for me. When I got to school, the teachers were appalled and read my father the riot act - because he had taught me to actually read the words and look them up if I didn't understand them - which was totally counter to the approved method of the time. It didn't stop him or me. I'm so glad such idiocy isn't stopping you and the little Goofballs.
NSG's resident curmudgeon.

Add 6,771 posts from the old NSG.

Poliwanacraca
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Poliwanacraca » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:28 pm

Anti-Social Darwinism wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

Even if I were Catholic, the nearest Catholic school is probably the foulest nest of drugs and debauchery in the area. No, that's not enough to sell me on it. :p

Little Goofball starts 2nd grade this September and I intend to continue supplementing his and my younger children's educations myself despite the outrageous suggestion by his 1st grade teacher last hear that I not so my son doesn't get too far ahead. Can you believe that shit?!? >:(

Not only do I believe it, I experienced it. Several decades ago, my father had the effrontery to teach me to read before I was three and then to provide interesting books for me. When I got to school, the teachers were appalled and read my father the riot act - because he had taught me to actually read the words and look them up if I didn't understand them - which was totally counter to the approved method of the time. It didn't stop him or me. I'm so glad such idiocy isn't stopping you and the little Goofballs.

It wasn't so many decades ago, but my parents got in the same sort of trouble with both me and my older brother. In the latter case (and this is, by itself, probably a big part of why I didn't get sent to public school), my mother actually got called in to talk to my brother's first grade teacher because he read books for fun, and, in her mind, this was a sign of a problem child. I wish I were kidding.
"You know...I've just realized that "Poliwanacraca" is, when rendered in Arabic, an anagram for "Bom-chica-wohw-waaaow", the famous "sexy riff" that was born in the 70's and will live forever..." - Hammurab
----
"Extortion is such a nasty word.
I much prefer 'magnolia'. 'Magnolia' is a much nicer word." - Saint Clair Island

----
"Go forth my snarky diaper babies, and CONQUER!" - Neo Art

Tao Qin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tao Qin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:33 pm

I like how people assume private, religious schools are more biased and brainwashing than public schools.

Altergo
Diplomat

Founded: May 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Altergo » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:42 pm

Tao Qin wrote:I like how people assume private, religious schools are more biased and brainwashing than public schools.

Some religious schools are less brainwashing than Public Schools

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:05 pm

It's to bad there not a Satanic school. Can you imagine the fun the kids would have with "Hellraising 101? :twisted:
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.
I edit my posts to fix typos.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:09 pm

Big Jim P wrote:It's to bad there not a Satanic school. Can you imagine the fun the kids would have with "Hellraising 101? :twisted:

as soon as I saw your name on this thread, thats what I thought, Someone should start one, itd be hilarious, :lol2:

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:14 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:It's to bad there not a Satanic school. Can you imagine the fun the kids would have with "Hellraising 101? :twisted:

as soon as I saw your name on this thread, thats what I thought, Someone should start one, itd be hilarious, :lol2:

Would yu happen to know where one could get a license for goat sacrifices? I looked in the yellow pages, but strangely there were no listings.
Hail Satan!
Happily married to Roan Cara, The first RL NS marriage, and Pope Joan is my Father-in-law.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Big Jim P wrote:
Maurepas wrote:

Would yu happen to know where one could get a license for goat sacrifices? I looked in the yellow pages, but strangely there were no listings.

presumably you could just get a license to farm goats, and then sacrifice them, claiming its for the meat or something...

:unsure:

Dinaverg
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Dinaverg » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:19 pm

Poliwanacraca wrote:
Anti-Social Darwinism wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Even if I were Catholic, the nearest Catholic school is probably the foulest nest of drugs and debauchery in the area. No, that's not enough to sell me on it. :p

It wasn't so many decades ago, but my parents got in the same sort of trouble with both me and my older brother. In the latter case (and this is, by itself, probably a big part of why I didn't get sent to public school), my mother actually got called in to talk to my brother's first grade teacher because he read books for fun, and, in her mind, this was a sign of a problem child. I wish I were kidding.

I went to a Montessorri school at that age so, uh, neener neener nee-ner. :p
DINA
DINA
DINA

Big Jim P
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Big Jim P » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:20 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Big Jim P wrote:
Maurepas wrote:as soon as I saw your name on this thread, thats what I thought, Someone should start one, itd be hilarious, :lol2:

presumably you could just get a license to farm goats, and then sacrifice them, claiming its for the meat or something...

:unsure:

Probably, and thanx, but I was just joking. ;)
Hail Satan!

Satellite Indoslavokia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Satellite Indoslavokia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Maurepas wrote:I dont like religious schools, I dont want my kids indoctrinated by anyone but me, ;)

Too late. I would personally trust a religious school over an American public school any day. The standards of private schools tend to be much higher. Your kid might grow bored, but "fun" isn't a right.
Last edited by Satellite Indoslavokia on Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JuNii
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby JuNii » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:30 pm

depends on the school, the curriculum, it's history, alumni, etc...
on the other hand... I have another set of fingers.

Unscramble these words...1) PNEIS. 2)HTIELR 3) NGGERI 4) BUTTSXE
1) SPINE. 2) LITHER 3)GINGER 4)SUBTEXT

Surote
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Tao Qin wrote:I like how people assume private, religious schools are more biased and brainwashing than public schools.

They are

Satellite Indoslavokia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Satellite Indoslavokia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:37 pm

Surote wrote:

They are

Not necessarily.. And besides, a natural fear of God to keep the child from misbehaving never hurts.

Tao Qin
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tao Qin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:48 pm

>They are
No they're not.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:49 pm

Tao Qin wrote:>They are
No they're not.

Of course they are. A 'religious' school is intrinsically more biased, because it is 'religious' - which is it's bias.
I identify as
a problem

Satellite Indoslavokia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Satellite Indoslavokia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:54 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
No they're not.

Of course they are. A 'religious' school is intrinsically more biased, because it is 'religious' - which is it's bias.

There are 'religious' schools that don't push their 'religious views', too.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Satellite Indoslavokia wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
No they're not.

There are 'religious' schools that don't push their 'religious views', too.

A 'religious' school that doesn't have a 'religious' bias... there's a name for that...

'A school'.
I identify as
a problem

Satellite Indoslavokia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Satellite Indoslavokia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:57 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:There are 'religious' schools that don't push their 'religious views', too.

A 'religious' school that doesn't have a 'religious' bias... there's a name for that...

'A school'.[/quote]

And what would you consider a school ran by a religious institution but doesn't push their religious views?

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Satellite Indoslavokia wrote:And what would you consider a school ran by a religious institution but doesn't push their religious views?

Unlikely.
I identify as
a problem

Jordaxia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 30, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jordaxia » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:08 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Satellite Indoslavokia wrote:And what would you consider a school ran by a religious institution but doesn't push their religious views?

Unlikely.

I, personally, would wonder why they're going to the expense of running a school that doesn't benefit them.
...gorgonopsids.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General