NATION

PASSWORD

Inflation as the only tax

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 22, 2009
Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:42 am

Militsia wrote:Hey, we already got this but it is called quantitative easing, sounds better than printing lots of new money. So if this counts as a tax then we already got it. :palm: :palm:

It's not the only tax. And quantitative easing is essentially the same thing.
Free market capitalism, path to prosperity
Свободный рынок капитализма, путь к процветанию
IBC 7 Finalists
8 Gold, 9 Silver, 2 Bronze medals IV Summer Olympics
2 Silver, 4 Bronze medals V Winter Olympics
Golfinator Classic Champion
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:56 am

We've also been having almost no inflation for the past two years. QE seems to be doing it's job.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:10 am

Trotskylvania wrote:We've also been having almost no inflation for the past two years. QE seems to be doing it's job.

The job of QE is to keep interest rates low. And we've had no inflation if you ignore what's happened to food and energy. Except for the little overlooked problem that regular people still have to pay for food and energy.
Last edited by Sibirsky on Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Londim
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Londim » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:15 am

We should just go back to the bartering system. Shopping would be much more interesting if haggling was involved.
YES. I have returned.
Now a writer over at The Sixth Axis.

South Lorenya
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:40 am

OP, think about it this way: suppose we have three triplets who all make $60,000 a year:

A tends to save money whenever he can. He only buys cheap things, as he wants to retire comfortably.
B tends to splurge; on the rare occasions where he does save, the money won't stay there for long.
C is in between; he saves (but not as much as A), and dips into his savings more often (but not as often as B).

When they reach the age of 70 and retire, B is hosed -- he spent all his money by then! C will also be forced to make cutbacks, as he has less cash than A.

Now, if you use the inflation-as-tax method, B is still screwed by not having savings, A is ALSO screwed because his savings get worth less every year, and -- to complete the polar opposite of the hat trick -- C also finds his meager savings even more meager.
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:43 am

South Lorenya wrote:OP, think about it this way: suppose we have three triplets who all make $60,000 a year:

A tends to save money whenever he can. He only buys cheap things, as he wants to retire comfortably.
B tends to splurge; on the rare occasions where he does save, the money won't stay there for long.
C is in between; he saves (but not as much as A), and dips into his savings more often (but not as often as B).

When they reach the age of 70 and retire, B is hosed -- he spent all his money by then! C will also be forced to make cutbacks, as he has less cash than A.

Now, if you use the inflation-as-tax method, B is still screwed by not having savings, A is ALSO screwed because his savings get worth less every year, and -- to complete the polar opposite of the hat trick -- C also finds his meager savings even more meager.

:clap:
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:56 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:We've also been having almost no inflation for the past two years. QE seems to be doing it's job.

The job of QE is to keep interest rates low. And we've had no inflation if you ignore what's happened to food and energy. Except for the little overlooked problem that regular people still have to pay for food and energy.

What the hell are you talking about?

Food prices have been stagnant since the start of the recession. This is reflected in the CPI. And energy costs have plummeted since the recession. QE is the only reason we're not having deflation right now.

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:21 am

Trotskylvania wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:The job of QE is to keep interest rates low. And we've had no inflation if you ignore what's happened to food and energy. Except for the little overlooked problem that regular people still have to pay for food and energy.

What the hell are you talking about?

Food prices have been stagnant since the start of the recession. This is reflected in the CPI. And energy costs have plummeted since the recession. QE is the only reason we're not having deflation right now.

First of all, the CPI excludes food and energy because they are volatile. Second of all, while plummeting at the start of the recession, energy costs have rebounded, and continue to increase.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:39 am

Sibirsky wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:What the hell are you talking about?

First of all, the CPI excludes food and energy because they are volatile. Second of all, while plummeting at the start of the recession, energy costs have rebounded, and continue to increase.

Only for sufficiently obtuse definitions of "food" and "energy". CPI deals with finished goods primarily, not raw commodities. I'm still paying the same amount for bread, milk, eggs, etc. That I did two years ago. You're full of it.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:47 am

Trotskylvania wrote:Only for sufficiently obtuse definitions of "food" and "energy". CPI deals with finished goods primarily, not raw commodities. I'm still paying the same amount for bread, milk, eggs, etc. That I did two years ago. You're full of it.

That would be you, that's full of it. You think producers will continue to have increased costs of production without raising the price?
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:50 am

Yeah Sibirsky is generally full of shit but I've been paying more for my food and utilities across the board.
Technically a Polanski.

Pesda
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Pesda » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:12 pm

I don't know much about economics, but considering what happened in Zimbabwe, I'd be strongly against.
St George of England wrote:
Pesda wrote:Alchohol has a funny taste
So does semen.
Professional Leaders wrote:
Neo-Sincostan wrote:Nah mate I live in Scotland. Or, as I dislike relating it to, the UK.
thats cool i like ireland
Interstellar Britannia wrote:And indeed, cavemen are fully capable of writing books. Have you heard of the Communist Manifesto perchance?
Green Ham wrote:
Pesda wrote:Making someone happy.

I advise lubricant if that's your objective. Or spit.
Kheil HaAvir wrote:i sleep with a poster above
Welsh speaking Plaid Cymru and SNP supporter.
Left -5.75 Lib -6.05
Why I voted for Plaid Cymru
Now a student... In England

Coccygia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:38 pm

You know, upon reflection, I realized that the proposal in the OP is not that far from what the US has been doing for the past 30 years anyway...not that this could or would be done by a "responsible government", which we do not and have not had for the past 30 years anyway.
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Sibirsky wrote:

If interest rates are kept too low then savings accounts would become unattractive.

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Founded: Apr 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Sibirsky wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:What the hell are you talking about?

First of all, the CPI excludes food and energy because they are volatile.

Wrong. Only core CPI excludes food and energy. CPI has still been flat.

You-Gi-Owe wrote:I hate all "spin doctoring". I don't mind honest disagreement and it's possible that people are expressing honest opinions, but spin doctoring is so pervasive, I gotta ask if I suspect it.

United Gackle
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby United Gackle » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Yootwopia wrote:Yeah Sibirsky is generally full of shit but I've been paying more for my food and utilities across the board.

Flamebait much???
Last edited by United Gackle on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Revenge for Armenian Genocide TURKEY YOU WILL PAY!!!!

Riffasia
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Riffasia » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:41 pm

It occurs to me that people would generally not hold currency because of it's continually declining value, would demand high interest raqtes on investments to exceed the govt inflation rate, would gravitate to hard asset value storage, and may prefer more stable value foreign currency for trade. Basically Argentina since 2001.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:58 pm

Charlotte Ryberg wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:The job of QE is to keep interest rates low. And we've had no inflation if you ignore what's happened to food and energy. Except for the little overlooked problem that regular people still have to pay for food and energy.

If interest rates are kept too low then savings accounts would become unattractive.

When have savings accounts been attractive? The Fed thinks buy lowering interest rates, money becomes cheaper and people and businesses will borrow more for projects and to spend.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:11 pm

Sibirsky wrote:When have savings accounts been attractive? The Fed thinks buy lowering interest rates, money becomes cheaper and people and businesses will borrow more for projects and to spend.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the fed is just interested in price targeting at this point, more than business investment. So...interest rates down = people have to invest in riskier assets to meet investment goals (i,e, not living on catfood in retirement) = stock, bond and commodity prices up = YAY economy saved :roll: .

But the number of ppl on food stamps increased by about 17% this year, and it's nearly 50,000,000. And at the same time wages are stagnant or falling for a large swath of the lower income ppl. And you have a rogue branch of the 'government' intentionally increasing the cost of food and energy - which is what most of the poor people's income goes on.

And none of this is going to fix housing, probably make the sitch worse in fact. Not to mention all the fraudy business is starting to come to light (somewhat - though that may not matter because the government will probably just declare it legal or someshit and take the losses out of people's pensions).

I'll repeat what I said back in 2007 when Bernanke thought he could fix this by fucking around with the normal operation of the markets. He is a dangerous lunatic that is psychologically incapable of what is going on. He should have stayed in Academe. This will end with his head on a fucking pike and he can forget any hope of a fat job on Wall Street, because those guys are jocks, and once he isn't useful anymore they have no need for a nerd like him and he will carry too much baggage. (Inasmuch as Gordon Brown can't find a fat job either, unlike T.Blair).
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:40 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:When have savings accounts been attractive? The Fed thinks buy lowering interest rates, money becomes cheaper and people and businesses will borrow more for projects and to spend.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the fed is just interested in price targeting at this point, more than business investment. So...interest rates down = people have to invest in riskier assets to meet investment goals (i,e, not living on catfood in retirement) = stock, bond and commodity prices up = YAY economy saved :roll: .

But the number of ppl on food stamps increased by about 17% this year, and it's nearly 50,000,000. And at the same time wages are stagnant or falling for a large swath of the lower income ppl. And you have a rogue branch of the 'government' intentionally increasing the cost of food and energy - which is what most of the poor people's income goes on.

And none of this is going to fix housing, probably make the sitch worse in fact. Not to mention all the fraudy business is starting to come to light (somewhat - though that may not matter because the government will probably just declare it legal or someshit and take the losses out of people's pensions).

I'll repeat what I said back in 2007 when Bernanke thought he could fix this by fucking around with the normal operation of the markets. He is a dangerous lunatic that is psychologically incapable of what is going on. He should have stayed in Academe. This will end with his head on a fucking pike and he can forget any hope of a fat job on Wall Street, because those guys are jocks, and once he isn't useful anymore they have no need for a nerd like him and he will carry too much baggage. (Inasmuch as Gordon Brown can't find a fat job either, unlike T.Blair).

Ironically, interest rates went up on Wednesday. Anyway, agreed on this.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:46 pm

Sibirsky wrote:Ironically, interest rates went up on Wednesday. Anyway, agreed on this.

Yes. He is targeting only the middle of the curve, and his actions are inflationary, so further out loses value. Last time he did QE interest rates on the 10yr went up too. Then reversed themselves when ppl. believed he would stop.

He will never stop until removed. He has gone full retard.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Sibirsky
Post Czar

Anarchy

Postby Sibirsky » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Lacadaemon wrote:
Sibirsky wrote:Ironically, interest rates went up on Wednesday. Anyway, agreed on this.

Yes. He is targeting only the middle of the curve, and his actions are inflationary, so further out loses value. Last time he did QE interest rates on the 10yr went up too. Then reversed themselves when ppl. believed he would stop.

He will never stop until removed. He has gone full retard.

I don't see Obama replacing him though.

Just for laughs, what if Obama replaces Bernanke with Thomas Hoenig?
Last edited by Sibirsky on Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IBC 7 Finalists
Scott Cup I Champions
World Bowl 11 4th Place

Dazchan
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Dazchan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:54 pm

There was a politician in Australia who wanted to do something similar - reduce all taxes to 2% and print more money to make up the difference. She was laughed out of parliament.
If you can read this, thank your teachers.

Neu Leonstein
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Sibirsky wrote:Just for laughs, what if Obama replaces Bernanke with Thomas Hoenig?

Then the Fed goes passive and it'll be up to Congress to do stuff.

Lol.
“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

Czardas
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 25, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Czardas » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 am

Trotskylvania wrote:You're full of it.

Sibirsky wrote:That would be you, that's full of it.

Yootwopia wrote:Yeah Sibirsky is generally full of shit

Really? I know you guys to be more mature than that. "You're full of shit", "No u"? What next, is someone going to trot out the "I'm rubber and you're glue" argument?

(These posts were raised in Moderation after being mistakenly unaddressed -- due to the 48-hour difference and the situation not escalating, I'm not warning anyone, but this is not the kind of behavior I'm interested in seeing repeated.)
30 | she/her | USA | ✡︎ | ☭ | ♫

I have devised a truly marvelous signature, which this textblock is too small to contain

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General