NATION

PASSWORD

Tories and their Guttersnipe Allies Raise Fees.

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Tories and their Guttersnipe Allies Raise Fees.

Postby Yootwopia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:10 am

Students face tuition fees rising to £9,000

Universities in England will be able to charge tuition fees of up to £9,000 per year, as the government transfers much of the cost of courses from the state to students.

Fees will rise to £6,000 - with an upper tier of £9,000, if universities ensure access for poorer students.

Universities Minister David Willetts said this was a "progressive" reform.

More info here.

David Willetts can fuck off and die of AIDS along with the rest of the cabinet. This is all I have to say on the matter despite dodging this particular bullet.
Technically a Polanski.

Post-Unity Terra
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Unity Terra » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:11 am

Tories kick the poor in the dick, more at eleven.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:12 am

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Tories kick the poor in the dick, more at eleven.

Yeah being pithy isn't the right response to this, we deserve to see them dragged into the streets and set upon.
Technically a Polanski.

Innsmothe
Senator

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:13 am

HANG THE THEM!!

They are public servants, and alienating the public (their masters)in this way can only lead to their deaths!
Last edited by Innsmothe on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Post-Unity Terra
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Post-Unity Terra » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:14 am

Yootwopia wrote:
Post-Unity Terra wrote:Tories kick the poor in the dick, more at eleven.

Yeah being pithy isn't the right response to this, we deserve to see them dragged into the streets and set upon.

I'd join in but I couldn't afford to take a course in lynching.

Helertia
Minister

Founded: Nov 28, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:14 am

And so the baby boomers continue on their march to make sure that they were the only generation to enjoy a functioning enconomy and welfare state.
Do hypocrites hate hypocrisy?

Horsefish
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Horsefish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:16 am

Yootwopia wrote:
Students face tuition fees rising to £9,000

Universities in England will be able to charge tuition fees of up to £9,000 per year, as the government transfers much of the cost of courses from the state to students.

Fees will rise to £6,000 - with an upper tier of £9,000, if universities ensure access for poorer students.

Universities Minister David Willetts said this was a "progressive" reform.

More info here.

David Willetts can fuck off and die of AIDS along with the rest of the cabinet. This is all I have to say on the matter despite dodging this particular bullet.

How can you be glad to miss out? Who wouldn't want to be in exessive debt before they start a half decent/Intresting career? I'm positively ecstatic! :D

edit:minor spelling mistakes.
Last edited by Horsefish on Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Areopagitican wrote:I'm not an expert in the field of moron, but what I think he's saying is that if you have to have sex with Shakira (or another dirty ethnic), at the very least, it must be part of a threesome with a white woman. It's a sacrifice, but someone has to make it.

Geniasis wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bludgeon some whales to death with my 12-ft dick.

Georgism wrote:
Geniasis wrote:Maybe if you showered every now and then...

That's what the Nazis said, we're not falling for that one again.

The Western Reaches wrote:I learned that YOU are the reason I embarrassed myself by saying "Horsefish" instead of "Seahorse" this one time in school.

What's wrong with a little destruction?

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:16 am

Horsefish wrote:
Yootwopia wrote:David Willetts can fuck off and die of AIDS along with the rest of the cabinet. This is all I have to say on the matter despite dodging this particular bullet.

How can you be glad to miss out? Who wouldn't want to be in exessive debt before they start a half decent career? I'm positivly ecstatic! :D

Car-ear? What is this?

Sun Aut Ex
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Aut Ex » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:17 am

Foolish. Education is one of the most important things.

Why can't they scrap some other ridiculous programs, like the "Change every reference to 'Christmas' to 'Holidays'" program?
Strykyh wrote:I wasn't trying to be intelligent.

Keronians wrote:
So you think it's ok to waste valuable police time and resources to pander to minority superstitions?

"All available officers, report downtown, armed suspected firing wildly into the public."
"I'll be about ten minutes, I have to go to ID a Muslim woman."

Yes.

Unless of course it's not OK for a woman to ask for a female to ask for a female officer to carry out body checks. In which case, the answer would be no.

"All available officers, report downtown, armed suspected firing wildly into the public."
"I'll be about then minutes, I have to go to carry out a body check on a woman."

Innsmothe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:18 am

Sun Aut Ex wrote:Foolish. Education is one of the most important things.

Why can't they scrap some other ridiculous programs, like the "Change every reference to 'Christmas' to 'Holidays'" program?

That was only in Birmingham, and years ago.

And since Christmas is a pagan ritual, I didn't see the harm in it.

Your political compass

Innis-Gunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innis-Gunn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:19 am

Students whinging? Never

Really I find it hard to get that upset by this. Paying it back when they're earning a decent wage hardly seems the worst thing in the world.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 am

Horsefish wrote:How can you be glad to miss out? Who wouldn't want to be in exessive debt before they start a half decent career? I'm positivly ecstatic! :D

Yeah good luck finding a half-decent career in the next five to ten years, as we hit 12% unemployment and stay at around that mark for an entire decade like in the nineteen-eighties.
Technically a Polanski.

Sun Aut Ex
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sun Aut Ex » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:20 am

Innsmothe wrote:That was only in Birmingham, and years ago.

And since Christmas is a pagan ritual, I didn't see the harm in it.

My point was, there has to be many stupid, moronic programs that the govt could cut before they cut spending on education.
Strykyh wrote:I wasn't trying to be intelligent.

Keronians wrote:
So you think it's ok to waste valuable police time and resources to pander to minority superstitions?

"I'll be about ten minutes, I have to go to ID a Muslim woman."

Yes.

Unless of course it's not OK for a woman to ask for a female to ask for a female officer to carry out body checks. In which case, the answer would be no.

"I'll be about then minutes, I have to go to carry out a body check on a woman."

Horsefish
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Horsefish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:21 am

Yootwopia wrote:
Horsefish wrote:How can you be glad to miss out? Who wouldn't want to be in exessive debt before they start a half decent career? I'm positivly ecstatic! :D

Yeah good luck finding a half-decent career in the next five to ten years, as we hit 12% unemployment and stay at around that mark for an entire decade like in the nineteen-eighties.

I've got it all planned out: i'm just going to stay in Sainsburys forever.
Problem solved.
Areopagitican wrote:I'm not an expert in the field of moron, but what I think he's saying is that if you have to have sex with Shakira (or another dirty ethnic), at the very least, it must be part of a threesome with a white woman. It's a sacrifice, but someone has to make it.

Geniasis wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go bludgeon some whales to death with my 12-ft dick.

Georgism wrote:

The Western Reaches wrote:I learned that YOU are the reason I embarrassed myself by saying "Horsefish" instead of "Seahorse" this one time in school.

Innsmothe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:21 am

Innis-Gunn wrote:Students whinging? Never

Really I find it hard to get that upset by this. Paying it back when they're earning a decent wage hardly seems the worst thing in the world.

Standards of living will go down.

A standard three year course will cost £32,000!!!!

Your political compass

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:23 am

You fancy getting into about £30k of debt by the time you're twenty-one, not too mention the overdraft inevitably built up if you don't happen to be named Timothy or Jemimah and thus have to pay for your rent out of your miserly £3.2k per year maintainance loan after Student Finance fuck you about for your grant application?
Technically a Polanski.

Innis-Gunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Innis-Gunn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:25 am

Innsmothe wrote:Standards of living will go down.

The students i've met recently have been living quite a cushy life well away from the stereotypical shitty student flat. Either go to a local uni and live with the folks, get more hours at work, or get over yourselves and welcome to the big bad world. Students are mollycoddled enough as it is.

And, unless you're doing a ridiculous degree, will bring you a net profit over the course of your working life.

If you're not fussed on that how about the entrepreneurial route?

Innsmothe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:27 am

Innis-Gunn wrote:
Innsmothe wrote:Standards of living will go down.

The students i've met recently have been living quite a cushy life well away from the stereotypical shitty student flat. Either go to a local uni and live with the folks, get more hours at work, or get over yourselves and welcome to the big bad world. Students are mollycoddled enough as it is.

And, unless you're doing a ridiculous degree, will bring you a net profit over the course of your working life.

It would help if the private sector would stop whinging about being left out, masturbating itself in it's insufferable ego and hire people.

Your political compass

Innis-Gunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Innis-Gunn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:27 am

Yootwopia wrote:

You fancy getting into about £30k of debt by the time you're twenty-one, not too mention the overdraft inevitably built up if you don't happen to be named Timothy or Jemimah and thus have to pay for your rent out of your miserly £3.2k per year maintainance loan after Student Finance fuck you about for your grant application?

Go to a local uni and live with the folks if you're worried about the rent. Or perhaps get some more work on the go to make up the difference.

Innis-Gunn
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Innis-Gunn » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:28 am

Innsmothe wrote:
It would help if the private sector would stop whinging about being left out, masturbating itself in it's insufferable ego and hire people.

Entrepreneurial spirit is pretty fucked then?

Londim
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Londim » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:29 am

I'm glad I've graduated with my £20k debt. My brother and sister will be hit by this though should they choose to go down the academic route.
YES. I have returned.
Now a writer over at The Sixth Axis.

Horsefish
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Horsefish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:29 am

Innis-Gunn wrote:
Yootwopia wrote:You fancy getting into about £30k of debt by the time you're twenty-one, not too mention the overdraft inevitably built up if you don't happen to be named Timothy or Jemimah and thus have to pay for your rent out of your miserly £3.2k per year maintainance loan after Student Finance fuck you about for your grant application?

Go to a local uni and live with the folks if you're worried about the rent. Or perhaps get some more work on the go to make up the difference.

And what if your local uni is shit? Or doesn't offer the course you want to do?
How about if your doing as much work as you could possibly do without falling behind on your actuall work?

Georgism wrote:

Helertia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Helertia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:29 am

Innis-Gunn wrote:
Yootwopia wrote:You fancy getting into about £30k of debt by the time you're twenty-one, not too mention the overdraft inevitably built up if you don't happen to be named Timothy or Jemimah and thus have to pay for your rent out of your miserly £3.2k per year maintainance loan after Student Finance fuck you about for your grant application?

Local uni? Yes, that sounds about right. Poor people limited to nearby or extremely cheap universities.

Get some more work? Yes, it's so easy to get jobs right now, especially when you have basic qualifications and no experience.

Innsmothe
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:30 am

Innis-Gunn wrote:
Innsmothe wrote:

Entrepreneurial spirit is pretty fucked then?

When you are £32K in the red, you can't really set up a buisness. :palm:

Your political compass

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:32 am

Innis-Gunn wrote:The students i've met recently have been living quite a cushy life well away from the stereotypical shitty student flat.

Oh well that seals it then.
Either go to a local uni and live with the folks

Except sometimes your parents aren't especially well off, can't afford to keep you around, and would have kicked you out at sixteen were it not for you staying in education.
get more hours at work

If you have it and can actually manage to work fifteen to twenty hours a week and still get a decent degree, which a lot of people can't.
or get over yourselves and welcome to the big bad world. Students are mollycoddled enough as it is.

Brilliant.

Yeah I'm not doing Media and Japanese Anime Studies or anything like that myself, but prospects for new graduates are extremely bleak at the moment. I'll get a two-one at the very least and may well end up with a first, and I'm still not feeling especially confident about the jobs market.

Have you actually looked at the rates of lending to SMEs lately?
Technically a Polanski.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General