NATION

PASSWORD

Coming out parties? O_o

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Straughn
Senator

Founded: Apr 11, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Straughn » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:09 pm

Dakini wrote:
Geniasis wrote:Psssh. I'm perfectly normal.

Not sure what's wrong with the rest of you fuckers.

Define "normal".

Probably unlike your goddess status, to be sure.

Mindhar
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mindhar » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:11 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Dakini wrote:Define "normal".

The opposite of anormal

"anormal"?
Last edited by Mindhar on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:12 pm

Straughn wrote:
Dakini wrote:Define "normal".

Probably unlike your goddess status, to be sure.

Indeed, not everyone can be a goddess.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Mindhar wrote:"anormal"?

It's in the dictionary.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Innsmothe
Senator

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Geniasis wrote:Psssh. I'm perfectly normal.

Not sure what's wrong with the rest of you fuckers.

Okay, I'll skin you alive, salt your still writhing body and piss on you for good measure.

Nifelheimr waits for you pigscut. >:(
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Xomic
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 12, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Xomic » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Helertia wrote:It seems perfectly reasonable. Most gay people say that they felt oddly/different/whatever about the idea of relationships with the opposite sex at young ages.

It also seems perfectly reasonable that heavier objects should fall faster than lighter ones, but this isn't the case.

You have to remember that our internal dialogue has to be consistent, even if it's not true.

Here's the study I was referring to:
Even the most cherish, vivid childhood memories could be false, research from the University of Hull suggests.

It seems ‘non-believed’ memories are more frequent than expected, with 20% of the 1,600 students questioned reporting at least one memory that didn’t take place. In some instances, it’s through parents or siblings that they've realised the memory didn’t happen. In other cases, the memory is of an event that’s so implausible it just couldn’t have happened, such as seeing a living dinosaur, reports the Daily Mail.

Most of the fictional memories took place between the ages of 4 and 8 years.

“Autobiographical memory provides us with a sense of identity and it is usually accurate enough to help us negotiate our lives,' said researcher Professor Giuliana Mazzoni, from the University of Hull’s psychology department.

“But as our study shows, not all that we remember about our past is true. Our research also shows that this phenomenon of non-believed memories is much more frequent than people had imagined.

“Crucially, if these memories are not challenged by some form of evidence, they would still be considered part of the individual's autobiographical experience.”

http://www.madeformums.com/its-amazing/ ... /9687.html (crap source I know)

Here's the abstract from the study:
Abstract

This is the first empirical study of vivid autobiographical memories for events that people no longer believe happened to them. Until now, this phenomenon has been the object of relatively rare, albeit intriguing, anecdotes, such as Jean Piaget’s description of his vivid memory of an attempted abduction that never happened. The results of our study show that nonbelieved memories are much more common than is expected. Approximately 20% of our initial sample reported having at least one nonbelieved autobiographical memory. Participants’ ratings indicate that nonbelieved memories share most recollective qualities of believed memories, but are characterized by more negative emotions. The results have important implications for the way autobiographical memory is conceptualized and for the false-memory debate.
http://pss.sagepub.com/content/21/9/1334.abstract

My point being that memories aren't like computer files, they're not static. You might have the memory of feeling gay when you were a child, when in fact you never did.
Political compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Geniasis wrote:

It's in the dictionary.

dictionary wrote:A`nor´mal
a. 1. Not according to rule; abnormal.

So what rule are you following?

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:17 pm

Innsmothe wrote:Okay, I'll skin you alive, salt your still writhing body and piss on you for good measure.

Oh you sweet talker, but it'll take more than that to get into my pants.

I'm still not returning his calls.

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Innsmothe
Senator

Founded: Sep 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Innsmothe » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:18 pm

Geniasis wrote:
Innsmothe wrote:Okay, I'll skin you alive, salt your still writhing body and piss on you for good measure.

Oh you sweet talker, but it'll take more than that to get into my pants.

I'm still not returning his calls.

It;s a place, not a person. :palm:
ان الذي فشل لقتلي فقط يجعلني غريب
"an aledy feshel leqtely feqt yej'eleny gheryeb"
Ronald Reagan: "Well, what do you believe in? Do you want to abolish the rich?"
Olof Palme, the Prime Minister of Sweden: "No, I want to abolish the poor."

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -7.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Innsmothe wrote:It;s a place, not a person. :palm:

Right, that was the part of the conversation that didn't make sense. Good catch.

Mindhar
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mindhar » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Geniasis wrote:

It's in the dictionary.

*sigh*

I know words like "imprimatur", but mistook "anormal" for a typo though it probably sees much more practical use. Brb, wandering off to feel lonely and unloved by even the faithful dictionary.

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Mindhar wrote:*sigh*

I know words like "imprimatur", but mistook "anormal" for a typo though it probably sees much more practical use. Brb, wandering off to feel lonely and unloved by even the faithful dictionary.

It's OK. Spellcheck didn't believe me either.

Dakini
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Dakini » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Xomic wrote:
Helertia wrote:It seems perfectly reasonable. Most gay people say that they felt oddly/different/whatever about the idea of relationships with the opposite sex at young ages.

It also seems perfectly reasonable that heavier objects should fall faster than lighter ones, but this isn't the case.

You have to remember that our internal dialogue has to be consistent, even if it's not true.

Here's the study I was referring to:
Even the most cherish, vivid childhood memories could be false, research from the University of Hull suggests.

It seems ‘non-believed’ memories are more frequent than expected, with 20% of the 1,600 students questioned reporting at least one memory that didn’t take place. In some instances, it’s through parents or siblings that they've realised the memory didn’t happen. In other cases, the memory is of an event that’s so implausible it just couldn’t have happened, such as seeing a living dinosaur, reports the Daily Mail.

Most of the fictional memories took place between the ages of 4 and 8 years.

“Autobiographical memory provides us with a sense of identity and it is usually accurate enough to help us negotiate our lives,' said researcher Professor Giuliana Mazzoni, from the University of Hull’s psychology department.

“But as our study shows, not all that we remember about our past is true. Our research also shows that this phenomenon of non-believed memories is much more frequent than people had imagined.

“Crucially, if these memories are not challenged by some form of evidence, they would still be considered part of the individual's autobiographical experience.”

http://www.madeformums.com/its-amazing/ ... /9687.html (crap source I know)

Here's the abstract from the study:
Abstract

This is the first empirical study of vivid autobiographical memories for events that people no longer believe happened to them. Until now, this phenomenon has been the object of relatively rare, albeit intriguing, anecdotes, such as Jean Piaget’s description of his vivid memory of an attempted abduction that never happened. The results of our study show that nonbelieved memories are much more common than is expected. Approximately 20% of our initial sample reported having at least one nonbelieved autobiographical memory. Participants’ ratings indicate that nonbelieved memories share most recollective qualities of believed memories, but are characterized by more negative emotions. The results have important implications for the way autobiographical memory is conceptualized and for the false-memory debate.
http://pss.sagepub.com/content/21/9/1334.abstract

My point being that memories aren't like computer files, they're not static. You might have the memory of feeling gay when you were a child, when in fact you never did.

This article reviewed research examining the association between childhood sex-typed behavior and sexual orientation. Prospective studies suggest that childhood cross-sex-typed behavior is strongly predictive of adult homosexual orientation for men; analogous studies for women have not been performed. Though methodologically more problematic, retrospective studies are useful in deter mining how many homosexual individuals displayed cross-sex behavior in childhood. The relatively large body of retrospective studies comparing childhood sex-typed behavior in homosexual and heterosexual men and women was reviewed quantitatively. Effect sizes were lag for both men and women, with men's significantly larger. Future research should elaborate the causes of the association between childhood sex-typed behavior and sexual orientation and to identify correlates of within-orientation differences in childhood sex-typed behavior

Source.

What do you know, kids can be gay and it's a fairly strong indication that they will be gay later in life if they feel gay as kids. At least for boys.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General